Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Thanks man!

Anytime!

I trained grippers and shoulders tonight. Its late and I'm too lazy to write all the details but the highlight was repping one of my COC #3's for 8 reps off hand and maybe 9 reps MMS. I don't normally go this high with reps but I was bored and wanted to try something different. Video below. I'm update the details of the rest of the workout tomorrow.

I'm freaking tired. long week. Time to update the log.

1/8/14 = Grippers and shoulders

Grippers - reps are MMS unless stated otherwise

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Working

171.5 lb Hard BBE = 3 attempts CCS. Missed all 3 by a very small margin. Like 1/16" off every time. Oh well. Struggling like this will make me stronger.

153 lb Cert COC #3 = 2 CCS reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 1 CCS rep and missed the second CCS rep by a small margin

145.2 lb FBBC 4x = 1 CCS rep

137.6 lb GHP 6 = 2 sets of 3 CCS reps.

- Felt like doing wide set work tonight to mix things up

Left Hand

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 2 reps

Working

149.2 lb COC #3 = 8 reps, maybe 9 reps. I was curious to see how many I could get off hand. Video in previous post.

137.6 GHP 6 = 10 reps. I stopped because the knurling was starting to cut up my hand a little bit.

153 Cert #3 = 3 reps

149.2 COC #3 = 3 reps

145.2 FBBC 4x = 2 sets of 4 reps

- kind of all over the place but I wanted to have fun and do higher reps tonight.

Crush Booster

Right Hand

2 Purple Bands = 10 second hold

1 Purple, 1 Blue Band = (2) 10 second holds

Left Hand

1 Purple, 1 Blue Band = (3) 10 second holds

Arnold Dumbbell Presses

34 lb DBs = 3 sets of 15 reps

- just wanted to go very light tonight

1/9/14 - Wrist

Lever bar to the Front up and down

13 lbs = 1 sets of 10 reps and 3 sets of 8 reps Right and Left hand

Lever Bar Supination/Pronation

7.5 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps right and left

Lever Bar to the back up and down

10 lbs = 4 sets of 15 reps right and left

1/11/14 - impromptu pinch workout

I wasn't going to workout tonight but I wanted to try the 50 lb to 50 cm platform challenge and tonight was the deadline. I blew it though. I got 3 lifts left hand and 0 Right hand. My right hand was really off tonight. Not worth uploading the video. I was going for 5-6 reps and would have gotten it if my right would have cooperated. oh well. Every thing else I did was just to warm up for the attempt and not worth mentioning.

I did redeem myself by lifting my 50 lb Hex for the First time. Huge PR for me since its much harder than my 50 lb Blob due its width and steep slopes. I got it 3/4 of the way up right hand and full lift hand. Here is the video:

1/12/14 - Training Session with John Manna and Wojo

These sessions are always a free for all so I don't bother writing anything down. I had two highlights worth mentioning.

COC #3.5 Silver Bullet hold = first time doing the silver bullet in a real long time. I have never trained for this event and only tried it with a #3 in the past a couple times. I was having an off day gripper wise but I managed 22 seconds. Here is the video:

50 lb blob with handle still attached = I was not able to lift this at our last session at Manna's place 5 weeks ago so it was nice to get revenge and lift this blob. Here is the video:

Great time as always training with other grip guys.

Note: I have been training a lot lately. I'm taking a couple days off from grip to recover. I'll weight lift soon though.

Edited by Chez

Feeling a little sick tonight. Not horrible but I can tell something isn't right. My stomach is very upset. Oh well, Its not bad enough to stop me from training. Quick Chest and Triceps workout tonight. First time bench pressing since the surgery. I can actually walk with 45 lb plates to load them now. Pretty happy about that.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 8 reps

Working

225 lbs = 10 reps

225 lbs = 9 reps

225 lbs = 8 reps

- ya, not strong. I'll get back into it though and get my pressing power back up. Just need to focus on the fact that I'm slowly getting back to normal.

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Close Grip Push Ups with Floor Handles

3 sets of 12 reps

Extensors

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand

Note: A guy at work had one of those cheap plastic store bought grippers so I mentioned Captains of crush to him last week. He actually owns a couple. He brought in his #1 today and is close to getting it. I'm going to bring in some of my lighter grippers so we can see what level he needs to buy for working sets. should be fun.

My brand new fat gripz extremes came yesterday just in time for tonights Back, Bicep and thick bar workout.

1 Arm Bent Over Rows with Fat Gripz Extreme.

53 lb DB = 4 sets of 20 reps each hand.

- Starting off light with these. Going to raise the weight next week.

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Bicep Curls with Regular Fat Gripz

36.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

- The regular fat gripz feel small in comparison

Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls with Regular Fat Gripz

36.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Note: Quick workout tonight but awesome forearm pump.

Edited by Chez

My brand new fat gripz extremes came yesterday just in time for tonights Back, Bicep and thick bar workout.

If your thumb i not used to that size of handle, be careful mate.

I bought phat gripz extreme over a year ago and went at it right away, hard.

I F'ed my thumbs up, got hurt. Pains for weeks.

If your thumb i not used to that size of handle, be careful mate.

I bought phat gripz extreme over a year ago and went at it right away, hard.

I F'ed my thumbs up, got hurt. Pains for weeks.

Thanks for the warning bud. I'm going to go slow with them. Upping the weight a little bit each week and keeping the reps pretty high. My hand is only average for my size so I know these will really work my thumbs.

Taking the night off tonight. Stinks. I really hate rest days but they are a necessary evil.

Edited by Chez

Taking the night off tonight. Stinks. I really hate rest days but they are a necessary evil.

Word! :)

Hate them too! Want to train every day. :O

Word! :)

Hate them too! Want to train every day. :O

It was tough last night. I had to fight it, but I stayed away.

Really great pinch workout today. My pinch is surging right now and I'm loving it. Things that use to feel heavy are feeling light. I also trained shoulders.

Arnold Dumbbell Presses

31.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

42.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

52.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps.

- more weight next week.

1 Hand Pinch Euro

55 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

65 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

75 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

77.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

80 lbs = 3 lifts left hand (easy) and 2.5 lifts right hand (Right is lagging behind)

- my Euro is slicker than the ones I have used at comps so I'm really happy with this.

IM Hub

44.5 lbs = 3 sets of 3 reps each hand

- easy. more weight next week. 60 lbs is going down soon.

Block weights

46 lb Blob = 3 sets of 5 lifts each hand

- I want to eventually use my 50 lb blob for this at this point of the workout but fatigue is setting in.

Dynamic Pinch on Sorinex Pop's Grip Machine with 3/4 inch handles (Finger Tips on the handles and both hands)

Blue Bands across the bottom pegs = 3 sets of 15 reps

Standing dumbbell side laterals (1 arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 12 reps each side

Bent Over Dumbbell Rear Laterals (1 arm at a time)

16.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side.

Edited by Chez

Sweet pinch work brother... Throw in some dynamic stuff for added effect.. High pulls, swings.. Whatever your mind comes up with for variations. That kind of stuff took me over the 100 lb mark from the low 90s (August to october) short time for the amount of improvement.

Sweet pinch work brother... Throw in some dynamic stuff for added effect.. High pulls, swings.. Whatever your mind comes up with for variations. That kind of stuff took me over the 100 lb mark from the low 90s (August to october) short time for the amount of improvement.

Thanks dude. I'm riding the wave right now since my pinch is really on the rise. I'm going to keep milking it until I start plateauing. Once I do, I'll mix in some of the dynamic work. My ankle still isn't 100 percent so I'm taking it slow.

Great all around workout here!

Thanks Big T

Nice man you could probably pull 100lbs on a nice seasoned one I'm sure of it

Thanks Stephen. I think I could Pull 100 or close to it Left hand on Jedd's, Chris's or Andrew's Euro. Using a slicker one will make me stronger though while keeping the weight down.

Edited by Chez

I went to the new gym I joined and trained legs today for the first time in several months. I used machines to keep the stress off my ankle and only did 2 leg exercises. Gotta start off slow. I also did a little Back and Ab work.

Leg Extensions

130 lbs = 15 reps

150 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Seated Leg Curls

110 lbs = 15 reps

130 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Lat Pull Downs

100 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Seated Ab Machine

90 lbs = 3 sets of 20 reps

Hyper Extensions

Body Weight = 10 reps

Holding 25 lb Plate = 3 sets of 10 reps

• Like 1

Chest and Triceps Tonight. Slowly upping the weights and decreasing the reps. The plan is to add mass and size to take down some big certs this year. High reps won't help with that.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

245 lbs = 4 sets of 5 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

73 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

- not enough weight but I didn't feel like doing high reps. I'll add more next week

2 sets of 12 reps

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extensions

33.5 lb DB = 2 sets of 15 reps each arm

- Need more weight on this also.

Edited by Chez

How do you have 73# DB's?

I can make all types of jumps. I have some international plates in kilos and I have 1.25 lb plates. For 73 lbs it is (2) 25 lb Plates and (2) 10 lb plates and the loadable handle which weighs 3 lbs a piece with the clips. I also have loadable DB handles that weigh 11.5 lbs a piece with clips. I play around with the numbers to make the weight I want.

Fantastic PR Gripper workout. This is why I push myself so hard. For these moments.........

Grippers - Right Hand, All sets were MMS or slightly wider.

Right hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Working

182.3 lb RB 330 = 1 rep

194.45 BBSE = 1 REP! Brand New PR! Video below. I felt the handles touch for a brief moment. Really happy about this close.

185.8 lb MM3 = 1 rep

182.3 lb RB 330 = Slight miss. Very close. Fatigue Setting in.

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 2 reps

174 lb RB 280 = 2 sets of 2 reps

171.5 lbs BBE = 2 reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

Working

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

174.6 lb GHP 8 = Slight miss. It will come.

171.5 lb BBE = 1 rep

171.5 lb BBE = 1 rep

159.6 lb RB 330N = 2 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 sets of 3 reps

Crush Booster

Purple and Blue Band = (3) 10 second holds each hand.

- this was too easy. I need to increase the resistance next time.

Super Elite Close = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPo4C-03sXI.

Note: I purposely gave my hands more rest before this gripper workout. I'm at a point in my training where I need even more rest between gripper sessions. At least 10 days and maybe more. I also did very light squats in between sets for my CNS. Very light because my ankle is still healing. The weight isn't worth mentioning.

• Like 1

damn Chez, congrats on that SE!

Thanks Jon. I had that gripper for a while and its been staring at me. That was actually the first time I ever tried it. Really happy about that.

Hit Back, Biceps, thick bar and a little wrist today. I increased the weights again. Much tougher workout than last week. I have to start pushing myself harder on thick bar and wrist. They are lagging behind my crush and pinch improvement.

1 Arm Bent Over Rows with Fat Gripz Extreme

64 lb DB = 4 sets of 15 reps each hand

- This isn't much weight but these extremes are brutal. Huge forearm pump after these high rep sets. Really liking these. It was a good buy.

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls with Regular Fat Gripz

42.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps

Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls with Regular Fat Gripz

42.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps

Lever Bar to the Front Up and down
13 lbs in plates = 3 sets of 8 reps each hand.
Extensors
IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand.

Note: I have plans tomorrow, but I'm going to wake up early do my legs at the gym. I am so not a morning person but I'm writing it in the log to keep myself accountable. No excuse. I need to wake up early and hit legs.

Edited by Chez

Short Shoulder and upper back session. Just getting the work in.

Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

11.5 lb DBs = 15 reps

31.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

61.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell Bent Over Rear Laterals (1 arm at a time)

16.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 12 reps each side

Straight Arm Pull Downs

Red Tubing = 3 sets of 20 reps

Great log! Have had a few questions answered just from reading it. Do you think the fatgripz and the fatgripz exreme have some carryover to axle? Training at a commercial gym makes axle work hard and I can get an axle workout in every third week or so. Love the idea of bringing some portable grips to the gym.

Great log! Have had a few questions answered just from reading it. Do you think the fatgripz and the fatgripz exreme have some carryover to axle? Training at a commercial gym makes axle work hard and I can get an axle workout in every third week or so. Love the idea of bringing some portable grips to the gym.

Thanks dude. I think the regular size fat gripz would be good to use on pulling movements like back and biceps to improve on the axle. The regular ones are around 2.25 inches wide. I'm using the extremes (2.75 inches wide) because I want to eventually be able to lift the inch replica (it has a 2 3/8 inch handle or slightly bigger). I had ankle surgery only about 7 weeks ago or I would also be training the axle and regular DO deadlifts on an oly bar to improve on the axle. Bent over rows with fat gripz is the best I can do right now. I think the combo of fat gripz on certain back and biceps movements like pull downs and curls and regular axle work and DO oly is the best.

I had another awesome pinch session tonight. Pinch keeps improving. I decided to max on the IM hub tonight since its been going so well. I hit a PR!

IM Hub

32 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

42 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

52 lbs = 1 lift each hand

57 lbs = 1 lift right and miss left (strange since my left is usually better)

61 lbs Bathroom Scale weight = 1 lift each hand. PR! Video below. Finally broke 60 lbs. Now I want 70.

48 lbs bathroom scale weight = 3 sets of 3 lifts each hand

1 HP Euro

55 lbs = 2 sets of 5 lifts each hand.

65 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

75 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

81.8 lbs bathroom scale weight = 2 lifts each hand

85 lbs bathroom scale weight = 2 lifts left and 1.25 lifts right

85 lbs bathroom scale weight = 2 lifts left and 1 lift right

Blobs

38 lb Blob = 5 lifts each hand

46 lb Blob = 5 lifts each hand

46 lb Blob Thumb on the round (reverse) = 2 lifts each hand

46 lb Blob Thumb on the round (reverse) = 2 lifts left and 1.5 lifts right

- thumb on the round is much harder and will help make the transition to using my 50 lb Blob for reps this late in the workout.

Dynamic Pinch Sorinex Pops Grip Machine (Finger tips on the handles)

2 Blue Bands on bottom pegs and (1) 10 lb Plate on the loading pin = 12 reps, 18 reps, 12 reps.

61 lb Hub lift each hand PR Video =

Excellent work man

Thank Jon. Going ride this pinch surge as long as I can.

Tonight I hit Chest and Triceps.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

250 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

81.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

2 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extension.

43 lb DB = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm.