Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

I'd like to be up there buddy!

If you ever feel like visiting NY, you are always welcome.

I'm a little behind in updating my log. I trained pinch yesterday and did some cardio and legs today.

Yesterday - Pinch

Euro 2HP

Warm ups

60 lbs = 10 reps

85 lbs = 3 reps

102 lbs = 3 reps

121 lbs = 2 reps

Working

143 lbs = 2 reps

148 lbs = 2 reps

148 lbs = 2 reps

143 lbs = 2 reps

143 lbs = 1 rep

132 lbs = 3 reps

- Still needs more sanding. Thumb webbing took a beating. I'm going to start seasoning the plates this week.

Loadable Blob

26.5 lbs = 3 lifts with each hand

29.5 lbs = 3 lifts with each hand

32.5 lbs = 2 lifts with each hand

36.5 lbs = 2 lifts with each hand

39 lbs = 1 lift with each hand

41.5 lbs = 1 lift with each hand

IM Hub

34 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

36.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

39 lbs = 1 lift each hand

40.25 lbs = 1 lift each hand

Extensors

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 20 reps each hand

Today - Cardio and Light Legs

- Legs on my digital machine so no weights listed

Bike - 20 minutes on highest resistence

Leg Extensions

8 sets of 10 reps

Hamstring Curls

4 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raises

4 sets of 30 reps

Leg Press

4 sets of 10 reps

I found a bastard file takes down the edges pretty fast and consistent.

I found a bastard file takes down the edges pretty fast and consistent.

Thanks buddy. I'll give that a shot this week. I'm totally not handy.

Did some bending and wrist work today.

Bending

IMPS and Rubber bands

Grade 2 Bolt

60D galvanized nail

Leathers and Rubber bands

Grade 5 Bolt

IMPs and no Rubber Bands

Grade 5 Bolt - Melted it in 14 seconds. See video below. Trying to practice certification conditions.

Sledge Hammer Slim Lever From Floor

6lb Sledge = 10 reps with each hand

8lb Sledge = 5 reps with each hand

10lb Sledge = 3 reps with each hand

Sledge Hammer Rear Weaver Stick

6lb Sledge = 5 reps right and 3 reps left

6lb Sledge = 2 more sets of 3 reps with each hand

Extensors

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps with each hand

Exercise Bike

20 mins on the highest resistance

Great log man. You're going well. I myself hope to start working on the #3 by December this year. But first, I'm aiming for consistency with the 2.5. I want to be able to close it each time I pick it up. I repped it for 2 consecutive the other day which I'm so happy about, we'll see how my one week resting affects me. I hope to rep it 3 times next week.

Congrats on your progress. Keep it up!

Great log man. You're going well. I myself hope to start working on the #3 by December this year. But first, I'm aiming for consistency with the 2.5. I want to be able to close it each time I pick it up. I repped it for 2 consecutive the other day which I'm so happy about, we'll see how my one week resting affects me. I hope to rep it 3 times next week.

Thanks dude. Been having a blast. Good luck in your goals and training as well.

Thanks dude. Been having a blast. Good luck in your goals and training as well.

Thanks bud. I'll be sure to slam that 2.5 with Authority this weekend. I wanna hurt it!! Lol

All the best to you. Keep in touch.

wow, I'm tired. I had 2 friends over from school to train today. I showed them all the major grip disciplines (Trying to get the attendance for my contest up :)). Both these guys are completely new to grip but them seemed to have a fun time. They both said that they would be back for more. I totally held back. These group training sessions are a lot of fun but If I always go all out during them, I will fry my hands and risk injury. No sense showing off. Later, I trained thick bar, back and biceps. There is a strict 1 arm DB curl challenge on the grip board and I wanted to see where I stood right now so I started with DB curls and working up to a 1 rep max curl to submit to the challenge. After that I went easy for the rest of the workout. Can't go hard all the time.

Dumbbell Bicep Strict Curls

23lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

33lb DBs = 8 reps each arm

43lb DBS = 5 reps each arm

53lb DBS = 3 reps each arm

63lb DBs = 1 rep each arm - My left felt a little tight so I decided to stop with my left arm at this point just to be safe (I'm a worry wart).

70.4 lb DB = 1 rep right arm no problem

72.8 lb DB = 1 rep right arm no problem and very strict - I messed the video up though :(.

72.8 lb DB = 1 rep right arm strict but not as strict as my last rep (see video below). Decided to call it quits there because I don't want to push myself too hard before my arms are conditioned for 1 rep max attempts. This was a good enough start.

1 Arm Bent Over Dumbbell Rows with Fat Gripz

72lb DB = 10 reps each arm

85lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Axle Bent over Rows

135 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Olympic Bar Bicep Curls

77 lbs = 8 reps

82 lbs = 8 reps

87 lbs = 8 reps

82 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Note: This workout was kind of all over the place because of the earlier group training session and attempting a 1 arm strict curl max. I'll get back on track with my next workout. I have another friend from school coming over next Wednesday and the guys from today might come back as well. I'm trying hard to promote grip in my area so we have a good turn out at the upcoming comp.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Hit Chest, triceps and shoulders and grippers today. Long training session but a lot of fun. I used my power cage for the first time today. Its freaking awesome to be to bench press at home.

Bench Press

Warm up

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 6 reps

Working

205 lbs = 5 reps

210 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

220 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 10 reps

Lying Tricep Extensions With an EZ Curl Bar

56 lbs = 10 reps

66 lbs = 10 reps

76 lbs = 10 reps

1 Arm Overhead Tricep Extensions

30 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps with each arm

Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

53 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raises

13 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Incline Dumbbell Flies

34 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Grippers - MMS reps unless stated otherwise

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #.5 = 10 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #1.5 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

COC #3 = 1 rep

Working

165.3 lb Rated BBE = 3 reps

165.3 lb Rated BBE = 2 reps

165.3 lb Rated BBE = 1 rep

Left Hand

Warm Up

COC #.5 = 10 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #1.5 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

136.5 lb Rated RB 240 = 1 No Set Close. Video below

Working

153 lb Rated COC #3 = 3 reps

153 lb Rated COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb Rated COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb Rated COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb Rated COC #3 = 2 reps

Extensors

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Nice LH TNS dude! I did my #2.5 128# the other day LH and was happy about that. This takes the wind right outta that. LOL. You're getting close to #3 territory!

• Like 1

when did dr. evil replace stewy?

I had to ditch Stewy. He is the Diet Coke of Evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.

• Like 2

when did dr. evil replace stewy?

I had to ditch Stewy. He is the Diet Coke of Evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.

luv me some austin powers. haven't seen it in a while.

I know the feeling with tns closes!

I was happy to finally tns my 149 #3 with my dominant hand...I damn near jumped through the ceiling!

I know the feeling with tns closes!

I was happy to finally tns my 149 #3 with my dominant hand...I damn near jumped through the ceiling!

Chez, what's your best TNS RH?

Its much harder for me to TNS left since I lack coordination in that hand to get the gripper in the sweet spot. So far my best TNS right hand is Brent's 151.77 rated COC #3. I did this 3 weeks after my #3 Cert in April this year. I know the video is cruddy since I was shaking like crazy and my web cam doesn't handle motion blur well but I included a still of the close at the end of the video to show that the handles did in fact touch. I'm training my left TNS right now because I want to post a double #3 no set in the next couple months. I might attempt my certification #3 which rates at 153 lbs with my right hand soon to get a better more dominating video up since I hate the fact that this video below is so shaky.

I forgot about that gripper vid. Even more kudos bro for it being an "old" #3 TNS vid. A double close would be sick. Just plain sick. You're not far off. Can't wait to see it bro.

• Like 2

I forgot about that gripper vid. Even more kudos bro for it being an "old" #3 TNS vid. A double close would be sick. Just plain sick. You're not far off. Can't wait to see it bro.

You will be one of a few people that can pull that feat off...Im sure Andrew can...i think Gabriel made a video awhile back doing that.

• Like 1

You will be one of a few people that can pull that feat off...Im sure Andrew can...i think Gabriel made a video awhile back doing that.

I'm psyched that some day I'll actually get to see the feat in person!

I'm psyched that some day I'll actually get to see the feat in person!

I know Ben Edwards has done it as well. Even though I have never seen a video, I'm pretty sure Paul Knight can do it since a #3 TNS right hand is a joke for him and he certed on the MM3 Left Hand earlier this year. I'm Sure there are other guys but its still a relatively short list. I may have to buy more grippers to get it done (heaven forbid :)) since my next hardest gripper is a GNC 250 but its narrow and then a big jump to my GHP 7 which is very wide and has a hard sweep.

I hit some pinch today. Kept the weights low to get more reps in. Quick workout. I'm going to increase my reps on thick bar and pinch days to keep tension on the tendons.

Euro 2 Hand Pinch

Warm Ups

60 lbs = 10 reps

90 lbs = 5 reps

Working

120 lbs = 5 reps

120 lbs = 5 reps

120 lbs = 5 reps

- Setup is still sharp and unseasoned so lowing the weight and raising the reps protects my thumb webbing.

Loadable Blob

Warm up

26.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

Working

IM Hub

Warm up

27 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

Working

37 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

Extensors

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 20 reps

Note: I may hit cardio, abs and core training tonight. Waiting for the box of grade 8 bolts that I ordered. I ran out of anything higher than a Grade 5. I may order a couple of GHP grippers and GHP set block. I have been waiting till I'm ready to Cert GHP 8 (still got a ways to go) but I have decided to give the GHP 7 cert a try so I can practice the set block under cert conditions.

• Like 1

I've done the double TNS on #3's and from my experience it is not as straightforward and simple as beeing able to do it both hands one at a time. It is not something I can do right now even though I am able to TNS #3's with both hands on most days. I was MMS closing my hard Elite (182 lbs) with my weaker left hand when I could pull off a double #3's TNS.

• Like 3

I've done the double TNS on #3's and from my experience it is not as straightforward and simple as beeing able to do it both hands one at a time. It is not something I can do right now even though I am able to TNS #3's with both hands on most days. I was MMS closing my hard Elite (182 lbs) with my weaker left hand when I could pull off a double #3's TNS.

That is super impressive. I always followed your progress. Really inspiring stuff. I know its going to take a lot of work. My best MMS left hand is my 165.3 lb Elite but that was a couple months back. I could probably do close to 170 right now on a good day. I'll just keep working towards it. Goals help motivate my training. May take months or a year plus but I won't give up.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Thank you for those nice words man. I'd like to add that my point was not to discourage you or anyone else to shoot for that goal. Just wanted to share something that I remember feeling strange at first. I remember thinking what the heck, why do I end up messing the double no set miserably with my left hand even though it is not that hard to do when I can focus on the left hand alone. So I think even though the strength is there it will take some specific practice.

Oh and that is certainly a realistic goal seeing what you have done so far. And of course there have to be goals, there's no point training if you did not have clear goals.

Edited by Teemu I
  • Like 1

Thank you for those nice words man. I'd like to add that my point was not to discourage you or anyone else to shoot for that goal. Just wanted to share something that I remember feeling strange at first. I remember thinking what the heck, why do I end up messing the double no set miserably with my left hand even though it is not that hard to do when I can focus on the left hand alone. So I think even though the strength is there it will take some specific practice.

Oh and that is certainly a realistic goal seeing what you have done so far. And of course there have to be goals, there's no point training if you did not have clear goals.

Any advice you give is always appreciated. You are one of the top gripper guys and I respect your experience and knowledge.I'm willing to put in the hard work to reach my goals and I know it may take time to get there. One thing I have learned in this sport is that it is impossible to predict when goals will be achieved. You can have weeks were you plateau and all of a sudden PRs flow like wine (which I'm drinking while I type this :)).

Tonight I hit bending and wrist training.

Bending - All Done DO and in IMPS

-With Rubber Bands-

Grade 2 - smashed

60D galvanized Nail - smashed

Grade 5 - actually felt a little tight and this took me longer than usual. After this bend I made Coffee, did pushups and blasted music to wake myself up because I just had class in the morning and was feeling out of it.

-Without Rubber Bands-

Grade 8 - smashed in 20 seconds (see video below). Got the box late yesterday in the mail and I couldn't wait to try one.

Sledge Lever to the Forehead

6lb Sledge = 5 reps with each hand

8lb Sledge = 3 reps with each hand

8lb Sledge = 3 reps with each hand

Sledge Front Weaver Stick Coin Load to Plateform

6lb Sledge = 3 reps right and 2 reps left

6lb Sledge = 2 rep right and 1 rep left

6lb Sledge = 2 reps right and fail left - need to bring up my left hand

Supination/Pronation with homemade leverage bar (forearm on thigh and hand unsupported in the air)

7.5lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps with each hand

I know the form sucks. I straight muscled this bar: