Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Just a light leg session. All exercises were done on my digital home gym so I'm not listing the weights since it is very different than free weight.

Leg Extensions

8 sets of 12 reps pyramiding up in weight

Hamstring Curls

4 sets of 12 reps pyramiding up in weight

Leg Press

4 sets of 15 reps. Used the machines max resistance. This isn't enough resistance for this exercise so I made the reps harder by doing very deep slow controlled reps.

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

4 sets of 30 reps.

Note: pretty light workout. I'm going to take off a couple days from grip training. My left forearm is feeling tight and I gotta listen to what my body is telling me. Better to be safe than sorry.

Great Gripper training session today. When I woke up my hands just felt strong so I knew I had to hit some TSG and get some videos. I hit a new right hand MMS PR by closing Ben Edwards' 179 RGC rated Thor Elite. I just bought this gripper from Ben but haven't tried it much since I have been a little banged up lately. I also closed my 133.4lb rated COC #2.5 No Set with my left with ease (getting closer to a #3 off-hand no set close)

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC #.5 = 8 MMS reps

COC #1 = 5 MMS reps

COC #1.5 = 5 MMS reps

COC #2 = 3 MMS reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

Working

165.3lb rated BBE = 1 MMS rep

Ben's 179lb rated BBE = 1 MMS rep and overcrush hold. New PR MMS. Video below.

153lb rated COC #3 = 4 sets of 5 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

COC #.5 = 8 TNS reps

COC #1 = 5 TNS reps

COC #1.5 = 3 TNS reps

COC #2 = 3 TNS reps

Working

133.4lb rated COC #2.5 = 1 TNS rep. Video below.

136.5lb rated RB240 = 4 sets of 5 parallel reps

Extensors

Red IM Band = 5 sets of 20 reps each hand.

Note: Felt really strong on grippers today but I made sure not to overdo it today. I think at this point in my training I need more rest between workouts. I have been taking it easy on grippers the last couple weeks and I think that really helped. Tonight I'm going to hit Back and Biceps.

• Like 3

Strong work my friend

Thanks Big man. You and the Ohio Crew have inspired me to work harder. I heard Paul Knight is moving out to you. That means more road trips for me.

Strong closes Chez!

Thanks Gerry. Always appreciate your support.

Beast!

thanks buddy

Seems like a good time to ramp up for an MM3 ;)

I'm going to train smart and not rush things but me and the MM3 will meet again soon. :)

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Finished off the night with back and biceps. Freaking Garage was crazy hot so I opened the garage door to the street. Still love lifting at home because I can to play what ever music I want and I can get a little crazy.

Olympic Bar Deadlifts with Mixed Grip and Conventional Stance

Warmups

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

Working

305 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Barbell Bent Over Rows

135 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows

75lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

Barbell Bicep Curls

65 lbs = 10 reps

76 lbs = 10 reps

87 lbs = 10 reps

Dumbbell Hammer Curls

32.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps on each arm.

Alright, I'm exhausted. Time to hit the hay.

Training at home rules. And great closes with those grippers. MM3 is indeed lurking around the corner!

• Like 1

I thought I'd miss the gym alot but i'm finding out how much working out at home rocks. You can make as much noise as you want, listen to whatever music at level 11, and throw/drop weights all day. Can we say bigger intensity equals bigger gains? Hell yes. Good work Chez. Alot of great stuff is going down here.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I wish you all lived closer. We would have some ridiculous workout sessions together. Tonight I hit chest and triceps at home.

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press

61.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

72.5 lb DBs= 10 reps

82.5 lb DBs= 10 reps

92.5 lb DBs= 8 reps

92,5 lb DBs= 8 reps

82.5 lb DBs= 8 reps

82.5 lb DBs= 8 reps

Lying Tricep Extensions with EZ Curl Bar

55 lbs = 10 reps

66 lbs = 10 reps

76 lbs = 10 reps

1 Arm Overhead DB Extensions

32.5 lb DBs= 3 sets of 8 reps each side

Incline Dumbbell Fly

32.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: Tomorrow I'm going to finish painting the Squat Rack I bought off a friend. I started to paint it but then got busy with school. I really need to finish it because Olympic loadable DB presses with lots of weight is very awkward. Its a balancing act leaning back and getting back up. Soon I will be able to Bench Press and Squat at home. I'm Going to train Pinch tomorrow also. I need to get in more time on the new Euro.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I wish you all lived closer. We would have some ridiculous workout sessions together. Tonight I hit chest and triceps at home.

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press

61.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

72.5 lb DBs= 10 reps

82.5 lb DBs= 10 reps

92.5 lb DBs= 8 reps

92,5 lb DBs= 8 reps

82.5 lb DBs= 8 reps

82.5 lb DBs= 8 reps

Lying Tricep Extensions with EZ Curl Bar

55 lbs = 10 reps

66 lbs = 10 reps

76 lbs = 10 reps

1 Arm Overhead DB Extensions

32.5 lb DBs= 3 sets of 8 reps each side

Incline Dumbbell Fly

32.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: Tomorrow I'm going to finish painting the Squat Rack I bought off a friend. I started to paint it but then got busy with school. I really need to finish it because Olympic loadable DB presses with lots of weight is very awkward. Its a balancing act leaning back and getting back up. Soon I will be able to Bench Press and Squat at home. I'm Going to train Pinch tomorrow also. I need to get in more time on the new Euro.

I have a very simple benchpress set, but I'd love to pick up a more professional one. Unracking the bar, the most important thing when benchpressing, is difficult for me because I need to lift the bar out when unracking, instead of 'pullling' it out, know what I mean. It costs me good form. I've got reasonable solid squat stands, but a squatrack in which you can also do benchpress would be awesome! Shame those suckers are so expensive...And yes, training together would be very cool. Solid numbers btw with the skullcrushers already! But then again you are a big guy aren't you :cool:grin:

Thanks Geralt. I think I messed up and this is actually called a squat cage if there is a difference. I was lucky that I got this dirt cheap from a friend who just wanted to get rid of it. I'll make sure it gets put to good use. I hit some pinch tonight. Hit a couple different events. Nothing for max weight. Just getting some volume in.

Euro 2 Hand Pinch

Warm ups

77 lbs = 5 reps

100 lbs = 5 reps

122 lbs = 3 reps

Working

142 lbs = 2 reps

147 lbs = 2 reps

147 lbs = 2 reps

- had to stop here since I still haven't sanded the edges and my thumb webbing was taking a beating. Definitely sanding them this week.

Loadable Blobs

26.5 lbs = 3 lifts with each hand

31.5 lbs = 3 lifts with each hand

34.5 lbs = 2 lifts with each hand

IM Hub

34.25 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

41.75 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

41.75 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

Ghetto Stub

31 lbs = 2 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Extensors

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand.

Note: Tomorrow I'm doing nothing strength related. Just chilling like a villain. Going to the city to spend time with my girl.

• Like 1

Bending, Wrist and forearm work today.

Bending - All done DO in ironmind pads.

With Rubber Bands

Grade 2 bolt - just use these as warm ups. super easy

60D Galvanized Nail = super easy

Grade 5 Bolt = Super easy

IM Red Nail = Gave it a good effort and got a small kink but I ran out of gas and had nothing left to keep it moving. Arghh.......

Without Rubber Bands

Black Grade 8 = Got a kink but I'm exhausted from the red attempt and I had nothing left to finish

Grade 5 = Killed it. I had to end the session on a high note.

Reverse Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 3 reps with each hand

Front Weaver Stick Coin Load

6 lb sledge = 3 reps with each hand

6 lb sledge = 3 reps right and 1 left

6 lb sledge = 1 rep right and fail left

Dumbbell Wrist Curls

53 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps each hand

Reverse dumbbell wrist curls

25 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps each hand

Extensors

IM red band = 3 sets of 30 reps on each hand

Note: Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm definitely stronger on bending. Grade 5 bolts are no problem now and I can kill them quickly every time I try. The red will come as long as I keep working hard.

Good work man! The kink is the hard part. Now it's a matter of endurance and crush. May I suggest more 7" work? It will feel more like the red and give a little better technique use specific to 7". 19/64" O-1 drill rod will kink easier than a red but will crush harder and you can cut it to any length you want that day. Fastenal can order it up for you. That may be a good steel to get specific work in. Heck I may have some extra bars if that's something you want. Good stuff man. All the various grip work is showing. You're about to be a red nail roster too!

• Like 1

Good work man! The kink is the hard part. Now it's a matter of endurance and crush. May I suggest more 7" work? It will feel more like the red and give a little better technique use specific to 7". 19/64" O-1 drill rod will kink easier than a red but will crush harder and you can cut it to any length you want that day. Fastenal can order it up for you. That may be a good steel to get specific work in. Heck I may have some extra bars if that's something you want. Good stuff man. All the various grip work is showing. You're about to be a red nail roster too!

Thanks dude. You're right. I gotta buy that drill rod. I have been putting it off but I gotta do what ever it takes to bend the red. If you have some that you can spare that are already cut to 7 inch length, I'll buy them off you. Send me a PM with how much you want for them.

Hit some thick bar and legs today. Legs were done on my digital machine so I won't list the weight since its very different than free weight.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle deadlifts with conventional stance

Warm ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

Working

285 lbs = 3 reps

296 lbs = 3 reps

301 lbs = 1 rep

307 lbs = 1 rep

312 lbs = 1 rep

255 lbs = 6 reps

255 lbs = 5 reps

IM Little Big Horn

85 lbs = 5 lifts right and left

95 lbs = 3 lifts right and left

105 lbs = 3 lifts right and left

115 lbs = 1 lift right and left

125 lbs = 1 lift right and left

Extensors

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand

Leg Extensions

8 sets of 10 reps pyramiding up in weight

Hamstring Curls

4 sets of 10 reps pyramiding up in weight

Calf raises on the leg press

4 sets of 30 reps pyramiding up in weight

Leg Presses

4 sets of 15 reps using the machine's max and going deep and slow.

Note: finally sanded the plate edges of my Euro today. Looking forward to using it next pinch workout.

• Like 2

Hit Back and Biceps today at my school gym. I only did row movements for mid and upper back. I felt like giving my lower back a rest today. Next Back workout I'll hit DO deadlifts on an Olympic bar. I'm going to start gradually increasing the weight for biceps since I want to join the curl war challenge and I eventually want 20 inch upper arms (18.25 inches right now).

Lat Pull downs

145 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

175 lbs = 8 reps

190 lbs = 8 reps - Happy with that and all reps were strict.

Close Grip Pull Downs

145 lbs = 8 reps

145 lbs = 8 reps

160 lbs = 8 reps

160 lbs = 8 reps

Standing Olympic Bar Curls

75 lbs = 8 reps

85 lbs = 8 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps - Next time I'll go over 100lbs

Seated Alternate Dumbbell Hammer Curls

35 lb DBs = 8 reps each arm

40 lb DBs = 8 reps each arm

40 lb DBs = 8 reps each arm

Cybex Seated Row Machine

110 lbs = 10 reps

130 lbs = 10 reps

150 lbs = 10 reps

Note: I got a brand new gripper in the mail to add to the collection. Bought a 169.21 lb rated RB 280 from Jedd. Been looking for something in this range for while.

Edited by Chez

The gripper should be a piece of cake for you, since you allready closed that 179lbs one .My 169lbs Elite still eludes me,

it's just a few mm. Hope I'll get it within a few weeks. Nice curlwork!

I'd join you guys in the curl wars but I'd hate to embarrass anyone, namely myself. :lol Have done a strict 55 db curl a few times, nowhere near what the big boys are doing. Nice gripper man. That's a good gap filler.

Geralt - I know as soon as you heal up you'll be destroying that Elite. Take your time easing back into things. Health is the most important thing. This new gripper I got is very wide. The spread is over 3 inches and its definitely the widest gripper I own.

Daniel - I have no doubt you will be posting some big curl numbers in the challenge. Your strength to body weight ratio is outstanding. Plus you're super competitive like me.

I did some bending and crush training today. Every now and then I have a day where I feel weak and have to struggle through a workout. Today was one of those days. I just didn't feel explosive and everything was difficult. My numbers for this workout sucked but I just got through it. My experience is that I usually bounce back from workouts like this pretty soon. We all have days where we just don't have it.

Bending - Double Overhand and in Ironmind Pads

Grade 2 Bolt

60D galvanized nail

- I bent both but didn't feel strong on them when these are usually just my warm ups. I felt very stiff and sore across my shoulders and chest. I decided to call it quits and not try any harder steel.

Vulcan V2

Right Hand

Warm ups

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 15 = 3 singles

Doubles

L 12 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 sets of 2 reps

Triples

L 11 = 3 sets of 3 reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 15 = 3 singles

Doubles

L 12 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 sets of 2 reps

Triples

L 11 = 3 sets of 3 reps

- I haven't been using the Vulcan and it showed. My set was really bad. I'm going to start using the Vulcan every other crush workout to improve my set like I use to.

Note - I'll regroup for the next grip workout.

Well buddy, 60# went up both hands. Didn't push it to 65. Was happy with a 5# PR. Not that you should worry about my skinny butt, but just saying if you can't smoke that, well some serious heckling might be in order. I'm sure you're 70+. Kill it big guy.

Well buddy, 60# went up both hands. Didn't push it to 65. Was happy with a 5# PR. Not that you should worry about my skinny butt, but just saying if you can't smoke that, well some serious heckling might be in order. I'm sure you're 70+. Kill it big guy.

Daniel - that is a serious Dumbbell for your body weight. Mad respect my friend. I messed around at the gym today and did a 65lb DB strict curl without really warming up or going all out since today was chest/tri and shoulders. I just played around in between my working sets and I was trying to figure out what my goal weight should be. Next Back and Bi day I'm going to try 70+. I think I'm good 70 but we will see (I gotta prove these guns aren't just for show :)). Anyway, here is my training session today:

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Warm up

40 lb DBs = 10 reps

Working

70 lb DBs = 10 reps

75 lb DBs = 10 reps

80 lb DBs = 10 reps

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs = 10 reps

90 lb DBs = 7 reps - shoulder started feeling a little tight so I backed off and decided to hold back for the rest of the workout. Rather be careful than risk anything.

85 lb DBs = 7 reps

Cybex Triceps Extension Machine

90 lbs = 10 reps

100 lbs = 8 reps

110 lbs = 8 reps

One Hand reverse grip tricep extension on cable pulley

30 lbs = 10 reps each arm

40 lbs = 8 reps each arm

40 lbs = 8 reps each arm

Peck Dec Fly Machine (really a regular fly machine but I put my hands on the pads instead of my elbows to get a nice stretch)

125 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Seated Dumbbell Laterals

20 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell rear delt flyes (Face down on a 30 degree bench)

10 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note - I called a couple of gyms in the area to see they will let me throw a grip comp in their facility. I'm going to keep calling all week to find the best location and price. Shooting for a January 5th competition date.

• Like 2

39 Pages!! Wow bro your dedication is insane, but it's paying off. Hopefully I can get a break from my hectic schedule and make it down there to train with you one day.

39 Pages!! Wow bro your dedication is insane, but it's paying off. Hopefully I can get a break from my hectic schedule and make it down there to train with you one day.

ya, some days I think I have lost my mind. You're are always welcome to come train. I'll let you know when the next training session for the "Tri-State Grip Collective" takes place. Drinks are mandatory after the session. I don't make the rules......oh wait, I do haha.

• Like 2