Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

What kind of non-grip specific lifting are you doing these days?

Hey Kevin. Been weight lifting for 9+ years. My routine has changed slightly over the years but I follow a body builder split. Day 1 - Back/biceps, Day 2 - Chest/Triceps, Day 3 - legs, Day 4 - Shoulders. I usually do 3 different exercises for the big muscle groups (Chest, Back, Quads etc..) and 2 for the small muscle groups (Biceps, triceps etc..). Sets are in the 8-12 rep range. 3-4 sets per exercise. I start with the heavy compound movements first (for example I do some form of press first for chest) and then isolation movements later (for chest this would be like a fly movement). Sometimes I change things up but this works best for me. I have also never been seriously injured since I don't go super heavy (1-3 reps) often.

Edited by Chez

Wasn't suppose to train today but I watched a friend bend a red nail on youtube and got inspired. I did a little bending and explosive light grippers today.

Bending

2 60d timber ties DO in IMPS

pre-kinked red nail in ironmind pads. My technique is starting to look better. not great but at least better. See video of this bend below.

Grippers - 65% of max for explosive reps

Right Hand

warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

working

COC #2 = 8 sets of doubles. reps as fast and explosive as possible.

Left Hand

warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

working

BBM 5/8" = 8 sets of doubles. reps as fast and explosive as possible.

Note: Tomorrow maybe some pinch.

Here is the pre-kinked red bend:

Edited by Chez

Hit some pinch today.

Loadable Blob

16.5 lbs = 5 reps with right and 5 reps with left

24 lbs = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

29 lbs = 1 rep right and 1 rep left

34 lbs = 1 rep right and 1 rep left

36.5 lbs = 1 rep right and 1 rep left

39 lbs = 1 rep right and 1 rep left

41.5 lbs = 1 rep right and 1 rep left

Ghetto Shallow Hub

26.25 lbs = 3 lifts right and 3 lifts left

28.75 lbs = 3 lifts right and 3 lifts left

31.25 lbs = 1 lift right and 2 lifts left

1 Hand Pinch with Vulcan thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top = 10 reps right and 10 reps left

2 Red and 1 white IM band = 5 reps right and 5 reps left

2 Red and 1 Green IM band = 3 sets of 5 reps right and 5 reps left

Note: Felt good today. Could have even went heavier but decided to hold back a little. Next workout with be my heavier gripper day (90% max).

heavier gripper day (roughly 90% of my max).

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

RB 240 = 1 rep

Working

159.6 lb rated RB 330N = 6 MMS singles. Each followed by a 7 second over crush.

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

BBM 5/8" = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

Working

Brent's 151.77 lb rated COC #3 = 6 MMS singles. Each followed by a 7 second over crush.

Note: After this I did a few hours of yard work. I was going to so some bending but my hands are spent after the yard work. Need at least tomorrow off. Probably 2 days off and then I'll hit thick bar. This is the last full week of training before nationals. I plan on taking off at least 5 days before the competition.

I ended up bending today after all:

Bending

60d timber tie. This felt so freaking easy.

Grade 5 Bolt = Got it! First full grade 5 bolt bend double overhand in IMPs:

Did you squeeze that #4 yet?

Didn't give a real try yet, but I can tell its a beast. Been doing lighter grippers the past 2 weeks. I'm bringing it to nationals for Chris Rice can rate it. I'll probably put it in a choker when I'm doing heavy grippers again.

Didn't give a real try yet, but I can tell its a beast. Been doing lighter grippers the past 2 weeks. I'm bringing it to nationals for Chris Rice can rate it. I'll probably put it in a choker when I'm doing heavy grippers again.

is chris ratings grippers there? or is he taking it home to rate?

is chris ratings grippers there? or is he taking it home to rate?

I'm bringing 15 of them for him to rate. Hes going to take them home to rate and then mail them back to me.

My hands felt good so I hit some thick bar and support grip today. Brought my Fat Gripz to my school gym again.

DO Deadlift with Fat Gripz on Oly bar

135 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 3 reps

205 lbs = 1 rep

225 lbs = 1 rep

245 lbs = 1 rep

265 lbs = 1 rep

245 lbs = 1 rep

225 lbs = 2 reps

225 lbs = 2 reps

225 lbs = 2 reps

Lat Pulldowns with Fat Gripz

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

Machine Rows with Fat Gripz (Handles are already thick so they really stretch out the fat gripz)

120 lbs = 10 reps

130 lbs = 10 reps

140 lbs = 10 reps

Machine Preacher Curls without fat gripz (not for grip, I just always train back and biceps)

3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Preacher Hammer Curls without fat gripz (again just for biceps)

3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell shoulder shrugs without fat gripz (I count this as grip training. Used to prepare for the frame hold at nationals)

100 lb DBs in each hand = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: tomorrow pinch training and then I rest until Sunday when I will simulate all the events at nationals so I can plan my attempts.

My hands felt good so I hit some thick bar and support grip today. Brought my Fat Gripz to my school gym again.

DO Deadlift with Fat Gripz on Oly bar

135 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 3 reps

205 lbs = 1 rep

225 lbs = 1 rep

245 lbs = 1 rep

265 lbs = 1 rep

245 lbs = 1 rep

225 lbs = 2 reps

225 lbs = 2 reps

225 lbs = 2 reps

Lat Pulldowns with Fat Gripz

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

Machine Rows with Fat Gripz (Handles are already thick so they really stretch out the fat gripz)

120 lbs = 10 reps

130 lbs = 10 reps

140 lbs = 10 reps

Machine Preacher Curls without fat gripz (not for grip, I just always train back and biceps)

3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Preacher Hammer Curls without fat gripz (again just for biceps)

3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell shoulder shrugs without fat gripz (I count this as grip training. Used to prepare for the frame hold at nationals)

100 lb DBs in each hand = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: tomorrow pinch training and then I rest until Sunday when I will simulate all the events at nationals so I can plan my attempts.

Good luck at the Nationals and let me know how Fat gripz on overall movements helps your grip bud

Wordage! I trained pinch and light explosive grippers. Felt really good.

Loadable Blob

16.5 lbs = 5 reps right and 5 left

24 lbs = 3 reps right and 3 left

29 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 left

31.5 lbs= 1 lift right and 1 left

34 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 left

36.5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 left

39 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 left

41.5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 left

44 lbs = air with both hands but couldn't lock out.

1 Hand Pinch Vulcan thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top = 10 reps right and 10 left

2 Red and 1 white IM band = 5 reps right and 5 left

2 Red and 1 green IM band = 2 sets of 5 reps right and 5 left

2 Red and 1 Gold IM band = 5 reps right and 5 left

Light Explosive grippers (Roughly 65% of max for working sets)

Right hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

Working

COC #2 = 8 doubles performed as fast and explosive as possible

Left hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

Working

BBM 5/8" = 8 doubles performed as fast and explosive as possible

Note: Now the hard part. I won't do anything grip related till Sunday when I simulate the events. Meeting John from the gripboard to train. I'll video tape or training session. After Sunday, I will rest my hands all week until nationals. I also start my summer internship Monday. I gotta wear a suit and act professional. Hate that but I gotta do what I gotta do :angry2: . At least the job will keep me busy and away from grip training until nationals.

Good training :rock how much do you like the fatz grip? I ordered from Wade and cant wait to try them out!

Keep it going man!

• Like 1

Thanks fellas! Alawadhi = I love Fat Gripz. Manus should be a great choice as well and I heard of this new brand called iron bull that makes a similar product which is 2.5 inches in diameter. The forearms pump that I get from using Fat Gripz on back day is incredible. I look like Popeye when I walk out the gym.

• Like 1

Training at John's today. Had fun and great workout. I had some up and downs today. I didn't feel in the zone. A little weak on a few disciplines. I got my 165.3 rated elite easy with a 20 mm block set, but missed my 174.6 lb GHP 8. Not a big deal there since I have only closed the GHP 8 with a 20 mm block set once. I have no gripper in between these two. The GHP 8 feels harder than its rating. Just missed a 323 DO axle which was weird. It kept slipping out my hand right near lock out. It is a fairly new axle though and felt slick. Its nice and shinny while the axle at the Durniat comp was dark and seasoned. I hope that makes up for the difference. I ended on a high note though by bending a red nail pre-kinked to 35 degrees. The least pre-kinked red nail I have bent so far. I tried a black grade 8 but it was a long day and I had nothing left. I could only get a small kink in the grade 8. Overall a great training day. I need to get crazy at nationals and let loose. I always do my best when I let everything go. I'm kind of a head case when it comes to sports and lifting. Once I start doubting myself, it all goes down hill. John is a cool guy and very strong. Its nice having someone into grip and lifting who lives fairly close. He closed my 149.2 lb rated #3 three times in a row and one time held it shut for a very long time. That was awesome. It was cool being there for that because I know how good that feels.

Here are some clips from the training, I need to step my game up at nationals:

Taking the whole week off to rest so I fresh for nationals. I'm going to forget about everyone else at the comp and compete against myself. As long as I improve, I'm happy. I also want more experience and to learn even more from the top guys.

Good luck on the comp Chez! And good luck getting that rest. I know by my self that it's hard to not doing what you love to do! One time when I was chasing CoC 2.5 I asked a person to take my grippers for a few days, since I needed to rest from them.. Then I changed my mind a few hours later.. LOL..

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun
  • Like 1

Good luck on the comp Chez! And good luck getting that rest. I know by my self that it's hard to not doing what you love to do! One time when I was chasing CoC 2.5 I asked a person to take my grippers for a few days, since I needed to rest from them.. Then I changed my mind a few hours later.. LOL..

Thanks dude. Staying away is my biggest challenge but It will help me in the long. Been training pretty hard for months. I'm due for a couple days off.

Tear it up at the comp Cesare! Will be interesting to see how you do on the Axle with your Fat Gripz work factored in.

Tear it up at the comp Cesare! Will be interesting to see how you do on the Axle with your Fat Gripz work factored in.

Thanks Ben. I plan on going psycho at this comp. The video will contain lots of grunting and yelling. Beast mode: engaged!

Awesome get together guys. Def makes training so much better. Good luck next week Chez. You'll do great. Maybe i'm wrong, hard to tell on my phone, but that L8 miss was due to palm skin pinch? As you prob know, in a comp you can be way quicker with the block set. Just stab and slam bro.

Awesome get together guys. Def makes training so much better. Good luck next week Chez. You'll do great. Maybe i'm wrong, hard to tell on my phone, but that L8 miss was due to palm skin pinch? As you prob know, in a comp you can be way quicker with the block set. Just stab and slam bro.

Thanks dude. We are going to miss you there. I'll have some drinks after the comp in your honor. I'll always looking for an excuse to toss a few back.

• Like 1

I'm still alive! lots of driving this weekend but I had an awesome time at grip nationals.

I improved on grippers but took a step back on everything else. I started my summer judicial internship this past week and didn't leave NY until 7pm on Friday. I didn't get to my hotel in Ohio until 3 am Saturday morning (FML :yikes ). Went straight to bed and woke up at 8am. I was downing caffeine the entire comp to stay awake.

Event 1 - Grippers with a 20 MM block set. I opened with a 171.1 lb Atomgripz quad band. I closed this super easy. I next attempt a 175lb BBE and got it with no problems and tied my PR from the Feb comp. After talking with Brent I decided to next try a 180lb RB 300 and I couldn't get it done. I regrouped and came back to try this same gripper for my 4th attempt. So freaking close! :angry2:. Oh well. I finished 3rd in grippers. Only Andrew and Adam closed a higher gripper. Here are my attempts:

[media=]

Event 2 - 2HP. I opened with 184.17. Felt really good. I decided to take a risk since I rarely do (I'm always conservative) and made the jump 199.57 lbs because I really wanted a 200 lb pinch. Big mistake. missed it 3 times. Got it half way up on 1 attempt. I had 194+ in Feb.

Event 3 - DO Axle. Opened with 316.7 lb. Felt good. Made the same mistake that I made in pinch. I made too big a jump and failed on the next weight 3 times. Ended up 20 lbs less than Feb.

Medley - This was a super heavy medley. Lots of stuff I have never done before. I did the best I could. Really getting tired at this point from lack of sleep and a long day. Good learning experience.

Frame Hold - 500 lbs held 4 seconds less than Feb. Just tired and couldn't push through the pain. oh well

Notes: I met many terrific people. I had a bad comp performance wise but it was great learning experience. I discussed pinch and thick bar training with Jedd, Adam and Andrew and I'm going to take their advice and change up my training in these areas. They all said to increase the reps and lower the weight. I shouldn't be doing max singles every workout like I have been. I also met a woman involved in power lifting. I'm going to start power lifting and hopefully do my first PL comp early next year.I'm going to include my power lifting training in this log with my grip training. I think power lifting with make me even better in grip and give me great overall strength. My MM3 cert is coming up soon and I want to compete in the world's strongest hands in August. I'll keep working hard. I have no quit in me. I have many goals and I won't stop pursuing them.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Dang if you got it half way up you were right at the 199s door. Sorry you missed it. I know the felling.

I have missed big jumps and then backed off (unofficial) like a pound and got it.

I bet if you had that jet and didn’t waste energy driving you would have gotten it. Also You may consider a helicopter because repelling down from a helicopter to a grip comp would be super awesome!

• Like 1

Congrats on the performance! Even tired - you showed some very good strengh.