Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Little bending, thick bar and wrist training today.

Bending

1 Green Nail DO in IMPs

2 Blue Nails DO in IMPS. See video below

DO Ghetto Axle (PVC Pipe)

164 lbs = 10 reps

220 lbs = 5 reps

260 lbs = 2 reps

275 lbs = 1 rep

290 lbs = 1 rep

301 lbs = 1 rep

310 lbs = 1 rep

316 lbs = failed. Half way up. Would have been a 1 lb PR haha. Next time

Levering

10 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both hands

Supination/pronation

10 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both hands

Lever Bar Circles

7.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both hands

Blue Nail bend:

Note: That is enough for today. Going to meet up with some friends to play b ball tonight. I'm like baby Shaq. The paint belongs to me :).

My new niece was born Friday afternoon so I'm a little behind updating my log. I hit Vulcan crush friday night and today did a little bending.

Vulcan V2 Crush - Friday night

Right Hand

warm up

L3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

L 16 = good

L 17 = 3 missed attempts. Bad sets tonight. handle kept slipping back in the palm. oh well

Doubles

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

Left Hand

warm up

L3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 11 = 1 rep

Working

singles

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

Doubles

L 12 = good

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

Not my best but I'm tired tonight and some days its good not to push it. This was a mild crush workout.

Bending - Today

Warm up

2 greens DO in IMPS

2 greens DU in IMPS

Working

Red Nail attempt = Took several hits and finally got a small kink. Dam this thing is so much harder than the blue which are easy for me. I'm out of blue and yellow nails. I haven't been able to find grade 5 and grade 8 bolts at 6 inches long so I'm going to have to order them. I'm pretty much out of bending stock so I'll place the order tonight. I want that red bad!

My new niece was born Friday afternoon so I'm a little behind updating my log. I hit Vulcan crush friday night and today did a little bending.

Vulcan V2 Crush - Friday night

Right Hand

warm up

L3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

L 16 = good

L 17 = 3 missed attempts. Bad sets tonight. handle kept slipping back in the palm. oh well

Doubles

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

Left Hand

warm up

L3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 11 = 1 rep

Working

singles

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

Doubles

L 12 = good

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

Not my best but I'm tired tonight and some days its good not to push it. This was a mild crush workout.

Bending - Today

Warm up

2 greens DO in IMPS

2 greens DU in IMPS

Working

Red Nail attempt = Took several hits and finally got a small kink. Dam this thing is so much harder than the blue which are easy for me. I'm out of blue and yellow nails. I haven't been able to find grade 5 and grade 8 bolts at 6 inches long so I'm going to have to order them. I'm pretty much out of bending stock so I'll place the order tonight. I want that red bad!

Chez...nice job on kinking the red :rock Your right on track

Any hardware store should have G5s and G8s. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Fastenal. Ordering metal sucks, freight gets. Ugly.

Great work on the Blue and kinking the Red Cesare! I remember those awesome days of battling to get any movement on the Red. You will slaughter it soon - no doubt about it.

Thanks fellas. I got some Grade 5 bolts on the way that should arrive by Wednesday. I was able to get free shipping on amazon. I will probably check home depot when I need the Grade 8's. I did a little training last night/this morning and this afternoon. Lots of school work since the semester is almost over so I'm fitting in training whenever I can. Training definitely helps reduce stress.

Ghetto Arm Wrestling Machine

1 warm up set for each arm

4 working sets of 10-15 reps for each arm.

Vulcan Thumbscrew 1 Hand pinch

2 Red Bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps for each hand

2 Red Bands + 1 white band on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps for each hand

2 Red Bands + 1 Green band on top notches = 4 sets of 5 reps for each hand

Grippers

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

BBGM = 1 MMS close

MM1 replica = 1 MMS close

Working

BBE = 1 MMS close

MM3 Replica = failed MMS attempt. Still can't get that last little bit. This gripper really ramps at the close.

GHP 8 = 20 MM set Close ! :mosher . See video below. I did this to train for nationals and start widening my set for the GHP 8 set eventually. Going to try a 1 inch set next workout.

GHP 8 = 1 MMS close

GHP 8 = failed MMS. oh well

BBE 5/8 inch = 1 MMS close

BBE 5/8 inch = 1 MMS close

MM1 replica = 4 parallel reps

GNC 300 = 4 parallel reps

GNC 300 = 3 parallel reps

Left hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS close

BBGM = 1 MMS close

Working

BBE = 1 MMS close

BBE = 1 MMS close

Cert #3 = 1 MMS close

Cert #3 = 1 MMS close

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS close

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS close

GNC 250 = 3 parallel reps

GNC 200 = 4 parallel reps

Video of GHP 8 20 MM set close:

Now time for a small break before school work all night :angry2:

Little bit of this and a little bit of that today.

Ghetto Arm Wrestling Machine

1 warm up set of 15 reps both hands

4 working sets of 12-15 reps both hands

- Felt really strong of this today

Levering

12.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps on both hands

Supination/Pronation

12.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps on both hands

1 hand pinch Thumbsrews

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps both hands

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notches = 3 sets of 10 reps both hands

Bending

I got my box of Grade 5 bolts yesterday. I tried 2 of them and I could only kink them. I didn't feel super strong on bending. I hard to work for a blue nail before these attempts so I think it was an off day. The bolts definitely are more painful than IM nails. I'll rest up and give them a shot when I at full strength,

Note: Sent my 10 hardest grippers to Chris Rice today to get rated. I sent him every gripper I own at a COC #3 and higher. I'll use my Vulcan V2 for crush training until I get them back. Kind of curious to see what they rate as. I'll bring them to nationals if they fill gaps in the grippers available. Actually would be a nice advantage have my own grippers in the line up.

Between the blue and the GR5's I use 60d nails. You can find some pretty tough ones out there.

Thanks for the tip Steve. I'm going to pick some up. I like having a nice progression. That what I did for the COC #3 cert. Bought gap grippers. I think its good physiologically not to fail too many times. Gives me momentum taking small steps to my goal.

Its funny how people always ask me to help move furniture since they know I'm into strength training. I just got off the phone with a woman that I helped with an estate sale that I haven't seen in about a year who told me her husband got hurt (He broke his wrist) trying to move something and they need my help. Why not, I lift stuff for fun all the time and they are nice people. I have played pick up basketball with the husband before.

I did some Vulcan V2 crush and bending tonight. My top 10 hardest grippers (Ranging from a COC#3 to a super elite) are on the way to Chris Rice to be rated so I gotta use the Vulcan for Crush for a little. I stopped by the local hardware store to pick up some 60d nails to find out I bought the wrong ones but I still used them tonight.

Vulcan V2

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 14 - L 17 = All good sinlges

L 17 + White IM band = just missed

Doubles

L 12 - L 15 = All good doubles

Triples

L 10 - L 14 = All good triples

Left Hand

warm up

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 11 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 13 - L 16 = All good singles

Doubles

L12 - L 15 = All good doubles

Triples

L 10 - L 14 = All good triples

Bending

So I stopped by the local hardware store on my way to school to buy some 60d nails for tonight and I totally bought the wrong ones. In a rush I bought 6 inch 60d framing nails. They start to bend and then just snap. Oh well, I snapped all 10 of them. The guy gave them to me for free anyway since I only took 10 of them. Learning experience.

Note: I might sign up for the MM3 as soon as finals are over. I think I have a chance with cert adrenaline flowing plus I want to know what I'm up against. Grippers vary so my replica might actually be harder than the real thing. My MM1 replica is definitely harder than the real MM1 by a good amount. Going to try and stay away from training over the weekend. I have a huge paper due that I have been putting off. I need to lock myself in the library this weekend and bang it out so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Very strong workout :rock i'll follow your log for sure!

Btw whats a Vulcan thumbacrew? It is like putting a device in the handles to train the thumb? If so i will buy one.

Please post your gripper cal numbers when you get them. I'm really interested in how yours rate. I wish more people had their GHPs and replicas rated.

If you feel good ya might have to try that MM3. You are probably closer than I am.

Please post your gripper cal numbers when you get them. I'm really interested in how yours rate. I wish more people had their GHPs and replicas rated.

If you feel good ya might have to try that MM3. You are probably closer than I am.

Will do Daniel. Chris sent me a PM saying he just got them and will probably rate them on Monday. As soon as I know I'll post the results.

Very strong workout :rock i'll follow your log for sure!

Btw whats a Vulcan thumbacrew? It is like putting a device in the handles to train the thumb? If so i will buy one.

Thanks dude. You are right about the thumbscrews. Here is a link so you can check them out: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html#thumbscrew

Well I really wasn't suppose to train grip toady but its crazy hard to stay away. I did some light gripper work today. My hard grippers are still of being rated so I used my light ones for some no set work. Hit a new no set milestone that I'm pretty excited about.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS close

Working

COC #2.5 = 1 NS rep

RB 240 = 1 NS rep

BBGM = just missed a NS rep. Very very close

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS close

Brent's #3 = 1 NS rep. First time every no set closing a #3! :grin:. It was very close and I had to review the video to make sure. See the video below.

GHP 7 = Failed NS attempt. The spread of this gripper really makes it challenging to NS.

Brent's #3 = Failed NS attempt. Starting to get fatigued.

COC #2.5 = 1 NS attempt

COC #2 = 10 NS reps

RB 240 = 1 NS close. A lot harder at the end of the workout.

Left Hand

Warm up

BBM 5/8 = 3 parallel reps

Working

COC #2 = 1 NS close

COC #2 = 5 NS closes

GNC 200 = 3 NS closes

GNC 200 = 3 NS closes

COC #2 = 5 NS closes

GNC 200 = 2 NS closes

COC #2 = 4 NS closes

COC #2 = 3 NS closes

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS close

Brent's #3 = 3 parallel reps

COC #3 NS close video. I was shaking like a crack addict. The still at the end proves the handles touched briefly. I'll get a better video soon:

Wow! Super strong Chez, congrats on another milestone! How much harder do you find no set than CCS? I can close my #2.5 pretty easy with very little set (just holding the spring to help position the gripper) but i can't do it with no set, it feels like my fingers are struggling to pull the handle in a little and then get better leverage over it if you see what i mean? (my hands aren't big enough to do A TNS in one motion, i have to re-adjust my fingers after the first little bit of the close).

Keep up the sterling work.

Wow! Super strong Chez, congrats on another milestone! How much harder do you find no set than CCS? I can close my #2.5 pretty easy with very little set (just holding the spring to help position the gripper) but i can't do it with no set, it feels like my fingers are struggling to pull the handle in a little and then get better leverage over it if you see what i mean? (my hands aren't big enough to do A TNS in one motion, i have to re-adjust my fingers after the first little bit of the close).

Keep up the sterling work.

Thanks Pat. I just barely got it. No set is significantly harder for me than CCS. My hands are average sized (8 inches) for my height. I can CCS close this particular #3 with ease, but I really had to struggle to get the no set close. With no set closes I need to put the handle in my palm closer to the back of my palm which puts me in a power disadvantage. You can see me pump my fist to get the last little bit closed. I like the variance it training though. Gripper work can get boring if you do the same thing all the time so trying stuff like this keeps things interesting.

Nice!

Congrats on the #3 no set!

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm really happy with my gripper progress these past couple of months. I think the NS work on the #3 will help me eventually cert on the #3.5 in the future. Going to be a lot of training before that. I actually sent my top 10 hardest grippers to be RGC rated by Chris Rice and here are the results:

COC #3 - 149.2 - This is probably my certification gripper. I'll know for sure when the grippers get back to me.

COC #3 - 153.0 - This is probably my original #3 since it feels harder than both Brent's (151.77) and my cert gripper.

MM1 Replica - 156.3

RB 330 N - 159.6

BBE - 165.3

BBE 5/8" - 173.15

GHP 8 - 174.6

COC 3.5 - 179.7

MM3 Replica - 185.8

SE - 194.45

I'm pretty happy with the results. My GHP 8, COC#3.5, MM3 and SE are all relatively hard ones. I was worried that they would turn out easy. The cool thing is that I was have been so close to closing my MM3 replica lately and its rated higher than what people guess the actual one comes in at. Once I get my MM3 closed, I will feel confident signing up for the MM3 and MM4. Another cool thing is that I have a nice progression with my grippers (biggest gap being around 9 lbs). I purchased them based on average rating and it has turned out well for me. I like having small step to keep challenging myself

I did do some training today as well. bending, pinch work and wrist work:

Bending

I went to home depot during lunch and picked up a box of 60D 6 inch galvanized Timber Ties since I'm out of blue nails and I can't yet bend a grade 5 bolt in IMPs. They feel slightly harder than a blue nail. I bent 3 of these DO in IMPs. See video below for the second bend. I need to keep bending to condition my hands because it hurts since I'm not use to it. I'll stop being a P.A.B. now haha.

1HP Vulcan V2 Thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 10 reps for 1 set each hand

2 Red and 1 White IM band top notches = 10 reps for 1 set each hand

2 Red and 1 Green IM bands top notches = 5 reps for 1 set each hand

2 Red and 1 Blue IM bands top notches = 5 reps for 4 sets each hand

2 Red, 1 Blue and 1 White IM band top notches = 5 reps for 1 set each hand

2 Red and 1 Blue IM bands top notches = 7 reps for 1 set each hand

Levering

12.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps on both hands. Gotta move up in weight since this is getting easy

Supination/Pronation

12.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps on both hands. Gotta move up in weight since this is getting easy

Here is the bending video of the 60D with my trade mark music so you don't have to hear me:

Note: Need to hit thick bar next training session because I have been neglecting it.

Edited by Chez

So I'm only half way through a 25 page paper that is due Monday and I get the pleasure of studying for finals as soon as I hand it in :angry2: . I got all my grippers back in the mail from being rated. It turns out that my Cert #3 was the one that rated at 153 lbs while my original #3 came in at 149.2 lbs. Strange because my original always felt hard to me than both my cert #3 and Brent's 151.77 lb #3. Kind of cool knowing that I certed on the harder one. I did some bending yesterday and today and used my fat gripz for shoulder training training to be efficient and train thick bar at the same time.

Bending - Yesterday

5 60d Timber Ties DO in IMPS. I tried out 3 ways of wrapping. I did a 4 fold with 2 IMPS, a tri fold with 2 IMPS and used a single IMP. I'm going to stick with the tri fold since the top guys recommend it.

Shoulders with Fat Gripz - Today

Upright Rows - 3 sets of 10 reps

DB front raises - 3 sets of 10-12 reps

DB side laterals - 3 sets of 10 reps

Machine rear laterals - 3 sets of 10 reps

Bending - Today

3 60d Timber Ties DO in IMPs. I noticed that these vary a lot. The length are all different even though they are suppose to be 6 inches. 1 in particular was super easy while another was extra tough.

Note - Next workout is definitely grippers. I missed my grippers a lot. They are like my babies.

Alright I'm tried now. I got back from school today and helped a friend and his family move furniture for 3 hours. That freaking entertainment center was heavy. Came home and trained grip. The physical labor definitely beat my hands up and made me a little weak on grippers today but no excuses just hard work.

Grippers

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

BBGM = 1 MMS close

MM1 = 1 MMS close

Working

BBE = 1 MMS close

GHP 8 = 1 MMS close

GHP 8 = failed MMS attempt. hands are just beat up

BBE 5/8" = another miss. oh well

BBE = 1 MMS close

RB 330 N = 1 MMS close

RB 330 N = 1 MMS close

MM1 = 1 MMS close

GNC 300 = 2 parallel reps

GNC 300 = 2 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 =1 MMS close

Working

MM1 = 1 MMS close

RB 330 N = 1 MMS close

MM1 = 1 MMS close

MM1 = 1 MMS close

RB 330 N = 1 MMS close

Cert #3 = 1 MMS close

Cert #3 = 2 parallel reps

Cert #3 = 2 parallel reps

GNC 250 = 1 MMS close

GNC 200 = 1 MMS close

Bending - gotta keep doing this to get better

3 60D galvanized timber ties DO in IMPS.

Edited by Chez

Great work on that no set #3 close Cesare! Solid #3 to do that with too. Next up - Double TNS #3 Close! Time to jump on the short list of guys who've done that.