Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

DO IT.

:rock

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Thanks guys. I hope I don't get a freak #3 but I'm going to bring the intensity.

With what you've been laying down on the vids lately, I think you could handle a freak CoC#3 no problem.

Thanks guys. I hope I don't get a freak #3 but I'm going to bring the intensity.

"Freak #3" sounds more like a convenient urban legend to me than reality, but anything is possible and if anyone ever finds a freak Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper that's been made in recent years, I'd love to see it.

Anyway, after getting no replies from you, we were getting concerned, but are glad that you finally contacted Steve on Wednesday and confirmed a time—we'll be cheering for your success!

• Like 1

"Freak #3" sounds more like a convenient urban legend to me than reality, but anything is possible and if anyone ever finds a freak Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper that's been made in recent years, I'd love to see it.

Randall, on the rating system the #3s have been 152-154 VERY consistantly, with the occasional 159 from time to time. But that's it. That's darn consistant and the 159s that pop up from time to time are minimally noticable by feel.

Chez, you got this. I've tried a few brand new #3s lately at they all are butter smooth and normal. Once you envision all #3s to be like that no #3 will stop you.

Randall, on the rating system the #3s have been 152-154 VERY consistantly, with the occasional 159 from time to time. But that's it. That's darn consistant and the 159s that pop up from time to time are minimally noticable by feel. Chez, you got this. I've tried a few brand new #3s lately at they all are butter smooth and normal. Once you envision all #3s to be like that no #3 will stop you.

And on the flip-side, there have been a couple in Finland go in the low 140s recently. That's an EASY #3 compared to what typically comes out of the package. Ratings aside, Matti confimed it felt that easy in the hand. He could almost "no set" the gripper. There is no denying there are oddballs. This is also why I love grippers so much. Every single one has its own personality.

Randall, on the rating system the #3s have been 152-154 VERY consistantly, with the occasional 159 from time to time. But that's it. That's darn consistant and the 159s that pop up from time to time are minimally noticable by feel. Chez, you got this. I've tried a few brand new #3s lately at they all are butter smooth and normal. Once you envision all #3s to be like that no #3 will stop you.

Daniel -

Yes and that's good to know without even getting into all the details about how they were tested. Have to always remember though that RGC even if perfect only captures one element of how difficult it is to close a gripper, so I appreciate your additional comments as well.

And on the flip-side, there have been a couple in Finland go in the low 140s recently. That's an EASY #3 compared to what typically comes out of the package. Ratings aside, Matti confimed it felt that easy in the hand. He could almost "no set" the gripper. There is no denying there are oddballs. This is also why I love grippers so much. Every single one has its own personality.

Cannon -

Thank you for raising this example and the first thing I would ask is more about those two grippers you mentioned—historically, we've seen grippers misrepresented as CoC No. 3s and we seen someone take, for example, a circa 1992 No. 3 and then make comments about it as if it's a reasonable representative of what's out there today.

My guess is the if you find an outlier, it's most likely to be something from years ago or possibly one that was modified along the way—which is why I include the caveat about being modern era and untampered with when I talk about the unlikelihood of running into a freak Captains of Crush No. 3, for example. Remember that the CoC No. 3 was calibrated in 2004 so I tend to use that point in time as a marker:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2004/Jan/The_2004_No_3_Captains_of_Crushx_Gripper_Is_Available.html

On the other hand, I think you raised a very interesting point about the personality of grippers—I used to feel that when Warren Tetting's grippers were first trashed as being inconsistent, people were missing this very point: it would be like having a stainless steel caber vs. one made from a tree, or even a polished Atlas Stone vs. something dragged out of a river. So, I was happy to read your appreciation of this in grippers. As things turned out, though, we made the decision at IronMind that developing and delivering more consistent grippers would better help guys with both training and competition, so that's why we went down that road.

Sorry that I messed that up trying to reply to Daniel and Cannon—hope you can figure out what I was trying to say where!

Thanks for all the support fellas. I didn't mean to start any controversy with the freak #3 statement. I'm just working hard for getting ready for cert day. Man I'm tired. I played 2 hours of basketball last night after class. Got home, did some school work and hit pinch training. I was so tired that I didn't post the workout in the log. I hit TSG today and really concentrated on CCS with my right hand. I spanked both mine and Brent's #3 :). I took it easy on left since its still recovering from the MM2 cert.

Pinch Training/Arm wrestling training - Late last night

2 Hand Plate Pinch (My ghetto euro)

105 lbs = 3 reps

120 lbs = 1 rep

135 lbs = 1 rep

145 lbs = 1 rep

155 lbs = 1 rep (could keep going but I'll save it for the rest of the workout)

Loadable blob

26.5 lbs = 2 lifts right and 2 lifts left

32 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

35 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

37.5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

39.5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

Ghetto shallow hub

26.25 lbs = 2 lifts right and 2 lifts left

29.25 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

31.75 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

Ghetto Arm wrestling machine (I planned to compete in my first comp May 12th. For this exercise I sit on the floor next to a cable row machine and put my elbow on the pad where I would normally sit and set up like I'm at the arm wrestling table. I attached a single arm handle to the weight stack and grab it like I would a competitors hand and I "arm wrestle" the weight down. I already train biceps, forearms, grip and wrist so this is probably the only exercise I'm going to add specifically for the arm wrestling).

- 1 set of 15 reps both right and left as a warm up

- 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left for working sets

Grippers - Today

Right Hand

warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 CCS rep

Working

Brent's #3 = 1 CCS rep

My #3 = 1 CCS rep

My #3 = 1 CCS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 CCS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 CCS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 CCS rep, Noticing a pattern here :D

Brent's #3 = 1 CCS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 CCS rep, that is enough. CCS really beat the skin of my hand up.

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

My #3 = 1 MMS rep

Working

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep

MM1 replica = missed MMS rep. This hand is sore. Gotta back off a little

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS rep

Note: I got one more TSG training day planned before cert day and it will be similar to this.

Edited by Chez

Very strong gripper work Cesare! I have no doubt you'll smash your #3 cert and have a great day man. Is your GHP7 harder than your #3?

Very strong gripper work Cesare! I have no doubt you'll smash your #3 cert and have a great day man. Is your GHP7 harder than your #3?

Thanks Ben. My GHP 7 is a little easier than my #3. I think I got a tough #3. Its noticeably harder than Brent's 151.77 rated one that he is letting me borrow.

So this morning, I did my last gripper workout before my COC #3 Certification this Wednesday. I spent the weekend at my girlfriends place in the city. Unfortunately I left my workout notes at her place but it was a light workout anyway. I'm not going to get any stronger so close to the cert so I wanted the workout to keep me sharp and allow me to recover in time for the cert.

Right Hand: I did my usual warm up and performed 3 CCS singles with Brent's #3. I finished with 2 sets of 3 reps on my GHP 7. much lighter than my normal workouts

Left Hand: Usual warm up and then 5 sets of multiple reps with my GHP 7. Again, a very tame workout.

Note: Nothing too exciting this workout. I'm going to be posting the cert video in this log no matter how it turns out but I'm going to really bring the intensity. No matter what happens I'm going to give it everything I got. My friend from school is going to video tape it so hopefully he does a good job.

• Like 1

Fire in the hole! Smash it!!! :rock

don't forget to pack chalk and whatever you need to warm up.

you won't have any trouble with this.

Have a great day tomorrow! Go get that cert!

Luck man, you got this...just bring that intensity and it's done :happy You trained this and as my wwe wrestler, Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock says "Just bring it" :rock

Id hate to be in the#3 shoes right now it must scared *%#& less

Grind those handles man no problem

I'm blown away by the support guys. I want my name on that list more than anything. I wonder if my buddy will help me prepare like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAN9qsRGQts

Methinks there comes an end to this great log soon, and another great one will be started: The quest for the #3.5

• Like 1

Mission Accomplished:

. Felt easy. Thanks for all the motivation guys.