Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Congrats, Cesare! A couple more workouts like this and you should be in excellent shape for cert day!

Thanks Guys. I felt so strong today that I was shocked at how easy everything was. I had to keep re-checking the grippers after I closed them. Definitely posting a video when I cert Tommy. I want to document every part of this journey.

So I got the MM1 off-hand certification the same day as my first #3 CCS close. 2/29/12 was a great day! Now its back to training. I went very light tonight because I just didn't have a lot of energy. I trained thick bar and wrist tonight.

DO Ghetto Axle

Warm Up

164 lbs = 10 reps

Working

260 lbs = 2 reps

275 lbs = 2 reps

285 lbs = 2 reps

295 lbs = 2 reps

305 lbs = 1 rep

310 lbs = Failed, bar was slipping out of my hands right before lockout. I wasn't using chalk for anyone these sets. I left it upstairs and was too lazy to go get once I was in the basement.

Levering with fat gripz on the handle (this made the handle diameter 2.75 inches)

10 lbs = 3 sets of 15 reps on both my right and left hand

Supination/pronation with fat gripz on the handle (this made the handle diameter 2.75 inches)

10 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps on both my right and left hand

Note: received my brand new GHP 8 gripper in the mail today. Brent's rated #3 is also on the way. I'm going to incorporate both these grippers in my next TSG workout.

I know this was already posted on the board but I try to keep this log as complete as possible so here is the MM1 Off-Hand cert video. Got it in HD this time:

Edited by Chez

Thanks Tommy! My camera person said the 2nd rep was good so I stopped squeezing but I noticed in the video I missed it by hair. Oh well. Just trying to have a little fun. I wasn't suppose to train tonight but its so hard to stay. Especially since I have this brand new GHP 8. I caved in and trained TSG tonight.

Right Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

COC #3 = 1 parallel rep

Working

GHP 8 = failed attempt. I set it slightly wider than parallel and just missed it. This gripper is a little lighter than my MM3 replica so it will be a nice mms goal to bridge the gap from my Elite which is too easy to the MM3.

GHP 7 = 1 CCS close.

GHP 7 = 1 CCS close

BBGM = 1 CCS close

MM1 replica = 1.75 inch CCS close

MM1 replica = just failed 1.75 inch CCS attempt

MM1 replica = 1.5 inch CCS close

BBE = 1 MMS rep

BBE = 1 MMS rep

GNC 300 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 7 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm Up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

Working

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep (going to try to move up to my Elite soon to train for the MM2 Off-Hand).

COC #3 = Just missed a MMS close.

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

COC #2.5 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 2 parallel reps

Note = Next workout is going to be pinch and I'll try and hit it hard. I might do the Vulcan for my next crush workout because the skin on my palms is taking a beating.

Wow, you've gotten really strong since the last time i checked up on your training, well done! Make sure you keep listening to your body to avoid injuries, which it sounds like you're already doing well. `if you can continue to do that and train as hard as you are then i'm sure that your #3 cert won't be far off!

Thanks Pat! Been training really hard. Only 3 months left for grip strength nationals also. This morning was a great training session. I bent my first Blue Nail! I suck at nail bending and don't really train it but I changed my hand position and it made a big difference. I also trained pinch today.

1 HP Vulcan V2 Thumbscrews

2 IM Red Bands: 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left

Loadable Blob

16.5 lbs = 5 lifts left and 5 right

26.5 lbs = Good lift left and right

29.5 lbs = Good lift left and right

32 lbs = Good lift left and right

34 lbs = Good lift left and right

36.5 lbs = Good lift left and right

44+ lb Hex

1 lift left and right

2 lifts left and right

3 lifts left and right

1 HP Vulcan V2 Thumbscrews

2 IM Red Bands: 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left

2 IM Red Band and 1 White: 1 set of 10 reps both right and left

2 IM Red Band and 1 White: 2 sets of 5 reps both right and left

Nail Bending

4 green nails bent DO

1 Yellow nail bent DO

1 Blue nail bent DO. My first time doing this! Here is the picture:

First Blue Nail Bend

Note: When I first started training I wanted to cert both COC #3 and Red nail. I just never got into nail bending. To be honest the technique frustrated me. I'm going to start working hard on that red nail now though.

The strength gains just keep coming. I don't know how to explain it but I like it! I was going to wait until tomorrow but Brent's #3 was calling my name. I trained TSG tonight.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 CCS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

Working

Brent's COC #3 rated at 151.77 lbs = 1 easy CCS rep. That was smooth and easy money

Brent's COC #3 = 1 easy CCS rep

Breant COC #3 = 1 easy CCS rep. That is a hat trick and I could keep going but I want to move on to heavier grippers.

GHP 8 = failed MMS rep. Just missed. might be able to get it fresh.

MM1 Replica = 1.75 inch CCS close

MM1 Replica = 1.75 inch CCS close

BBE = 1 MMS rep

BBE = 1 MMS rep

BBE = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 8 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

GHP 7 = 1 MMS rep

Working

BBE = failed MMS attempt. Just missed

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS rep

Brent's #3 = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

COC #2 = 10 parallel reps

Note = I owe Brent an apology for totally raping his #3 tonight :tongue. I'm also super excited because I'm going to Ohio this upcoming weekend to train with Andrew Durniat and Paul Knight. Sounds like a great weekend to me.

Cesare your on fire, keep up the great progress! :rock

I'll second that. Great job Chez!

Nice work Cesare. Very good! How's your CCS on the Vulcan? Any idea where you are with that one? Just curious.

Sounds you are going to have a kick ass weekend!

Thanks guys. I'm having so much fun with this training. Hey Geralt: I have never tried a max CCS on the Vulcan so I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot of that link gerry. I was all excited and then noticed the date. That is St. Patrick's Day right? I made plans with my girl and friends to go out in NYC. I'm thinking of being bold and contacting IM tomorrow to set up a cert attempt though. I'm usually pretty conservative but I'm banking on cert adrenaline to help me out. No guts, no glory.

Dang it! I would go too, but I'll be back in Chicago for the weekend.

Just some light bending and wrist work tonight.

Bending

2 Green Nails DO in IMP

2 Green Nails DU in IMP

2 Yellow Nails DO in IMP

Levering

10lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left

Pronation/Supination

10lbs = 3 sets of 15 reps both right and left

Lever Bar Circles

10lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left

Note: Tomorrow will probably be my last training day of the week so I can be fresh for the weekend in Ohio. I'm going to hit thick bar.

Chez, if you decide to go for it: slam those handles shut man! Thumbs up.

Thanks a lot of that link gerry. I was all excited and then noticed the date. That is St. Patrick's Day right? I made plans with my girl and friends to go out in NYC. I'm thinking of being bold and contacting IM tomorrow to set up a cert attempt though. I'm usually pretty conservative but I'm banking on cert adrenaline to help me out. No guts, no glory.

Go for it man--you're killing it lately!!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I just send Ironmind an email and told them I want to cert the first week of April since that is my spring break. I'm excited and nervous. I'll let everyone know when they get back to me.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I just send Ironmind an email and told them I want to cert the first week of April since that is my spring break. I'm excited and nervous. I'll let everyone know when they get back to me.

there is no doubt that you'll cert on the #3 man. your strength is increasing each week

there is no doubt that you'll cert on the #3 man. your strength is increasing each week

Thanks buddy! I hit thick bar tonight.

Rolling Thunder

104 lbs = 5 reps left and right

129 lbs = 2 reps left and right

139 lbs = 2 reps left and right

149 lbs = 1 rep left and right

159 lbs = 1 rep left and right

164 lbs = 1 rep left and right

169 lbs = 1 rep left. Failed right. New PR!

Ghetto Axle

220 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps.

Note: That is it for the week. Gotta rest up now. Slight soreness in my right forearm.

Yeah best of luck with the cert! I just hope you don't get an absolute freak of a #3... even if you get a tough one though, you're looking strong enough to smash it.

So ironmind just sent me a letter denying my #3 cert attempt. Hes the letter I was E-Mailed:

Dear Cesare:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Pre-Certification Questionnaire for closing our No. 3 Captains of Crush Gripper.

We are sorry but we wonder whether you are ready for an official certification attempt as we are looking for people who have consistently closed the No. 3 CoC Gripper per the rules for some time. According to the questionnaire, you first did this only a week ago.

Certification on the No. 3 CoC Gripper is an indication that someone has truly mastered the feat and is able to close a current CoC No. 3 on demand. In addition, it takes time and money to set up certification attempts, so we want there to be an extremely high probability of success before we make these arrangements—this is not the place to just try it and hope for the best.

Please continue with your training and let us know when you have marched through the No. 3 CoC Gripper for a couple of dozen attempts and we’ll be happy to arrange an official certification attempt for you.

Thank you again—best of luck with your training!

Sincerely,

Chris Sheehan

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

-----I didn't know I could get denied the cert attempt.

Edited by Chez

Wow. And yet you can walk up to a booth and cert on command? I would just double check with Randy. You've got more street cred than most.

• Like 1

It's cool. I'll just have to prove I'm ready. Time to kick up training. I'll be posting videos in this log to prove it.

• Like 1