Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

just speak up about the videos. there isn't anyone there who won't do it if you ask. also, there should be some other people filming some things if you miss something. and andrew usually tries to tape the whole thing.

Thanks fellas!

I've read through this entire thread. I'm very impressed with your will power and intensity (besides your obvious strength).

One question though. Do you let your hands rest? For regular weight training I've taken up to 2 weeks off and come back stronger than before. I never train for volume, just pure low rep strength.

Keep up the good work! I'm quite sure you're the type of person who will not quit until you reach your goals.

Thanks for those kind words. When I first started the log I only trained grippers and I gave myself 2-3 days between workouts. I actually found it really hard to stay away that long. I have expanded my training to include pinch and thick bar work. I rotate those aspects of grip much like I rotate the body parts I train when I do my regular weight lifting (chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders.). At first I was sore all the time but my recovery time has greatly improved while on this high frequency routine. I also go by feel. If my thumbs are really sore from my last pinch workout, I'll work my crush grip since its involves the thumb very little (just the set requires the thumb). I got the idea to start doing this high frequency training from watching Adam Glass train. Hes one of the strongest guys on the board and he trains almost everyday. I also talked to others on the board with more experience and heard of the frequency of the KTA program. Been making some nice gains so I'm really happy with how its turning out. I'm always experimenting to see what works best for me and to keep my training interesting. Thanks again and good luck in your training.

Thank you for your detailed answer! I`m new to all this so I`ll just have to try stuff out to see what fits me.

I am so freaking tired and sore all across my upper back. Lot of driving this weekend but I had a blast at my first grip competition. I'm going give a detailed write up about my experience later on tonight or tomorrow but in the mean time, here is a video which has all my best performances. I finished with a 705.79 lb total in the 3 main disciplines (grippers, pinch and axle). How sick would it be to get 800 lbs and join the elite class.

Very cool write up Cesare, you are very strong. Very motivating video to see and a shame I'm not nearby to train sometime with you.

Keep it up!

Huge congrats on an awesome performance at the contest!

you did really good. and the first time adjustments to "actual" equipment make it a lot more of a mind game. that was a very strong showing for your first comp, especially with all the driving.

Chez - you are one strong young man! Nerves help and hurt in a contest - they help until they wear you down - then you get fried. Learning to manage that aspect will help and experience is the only way to learn. You did well but I see a lot better coming in the future!

Wow, Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Time to start up training again. My upper back and traps were still super sore during the day but are feeling much better now. I decided to hit TSG tonight and avoid lifting anything off the ground.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

Working

1) GHP 7 with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good close and easy! Just got this gripper and I decided to shoot of video of this close for the certification list being kept on the board. See below for the video. Not the greatest quality I know but I had to use my laptop web cam.

2) BBE with a 1.5 inch credit card set = This was very very close and I'm not 100% sure if it was closed or not.

3) MM1 Replica with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good and easy!

4) BBE with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Definitely missed. Looks like the MM1 with be my working gripper at this set distance.

5) MM1 Replica with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good close

6) MM1 Replica with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good close

7) MM1 Replica with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good close

8) COC #3 with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good

9) COC #3 with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good

10) COC #3 with a 1.5 inch credit card set = Good

11) GHP 7 = 5 mms reps

Left Hand

warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

Working

1) MM1 replica = Good MMS close and easy!

2) MM1 replica = Good MMS close again

3) MM1 replica = Good MMS close for the hat trick. Looks like that off hand cert is getting close.

4) COC #3 with a 1.5 inch CCS = Very Very close. Pretty sure I got it.

5) BBGM with a 1.5 inch CCS = again Very Very close. Pretty sure I got it.

6) COC 2.5 with a 1.5 inch CCS = Good

7) RB 240 with a 1.5 inch CCS = good

8) RB 240 with a 1.5 inch CCS = good

9) COC 2.5 with a 1.5 inch CCS = Good

10) COC 2.5 with a 1.5 inch CCS = Good

11) GNC 200 = 4 mms reps

Here is the GHP 7 1.5 inch set close =

. even opened it again for a mini rep after the close.

Note - I'm going to cut another old credit card to 1.75 inches and see what I can do with that next TSG workout. Now that the Durniat Comp is over I'm going to focus on increasing my set distance with TSGs. The COC #3 is going down full CCS soon. I'm Sick and tired of not achieving this goal. This is war.

That looked easy! Yeah, the CCS is bugging me to. We'll get it. Nice job on that. Can you close your #3 at will MMS every day btw? I can't for example. I always need

a few days of rest before I can close my #3 again after a training session.

That looked easy! Yeah, the CCS is bugging me to. We'll get it. Nice job on that. Can you close your #3 at will MMS every day btw? I can't for example. I always need

a few days of rest before I can close my #3 again after a training session.

Ya, that gripper is super smooth which made the close really easy. Since I have increased my training frequency and hit this surge, I can close my #3 MMS whenever I try it. The only time I miss it is at the end of a long grip workout.

Thick bar and wrist training tonight.

DO ghetto Axle deadlift

Warm up

164 lbs = 10 reps

Working

Triples

260 = 3 reps

275 = 3 reps

280 = 3 reps

282.5 = 3 reps

285 = 3 reps

Rolling Thunder

Triples

139 lbs = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

139 = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

142 = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

145 = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

147.5 = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

Levering

15.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left hand

Supination/pronation

13 lbs = 1 set of 10 reps both right and left hand

15.5 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left hand

Freaking tired. Just got back from full court basketball at the gym. Its good though because I need to improve my conditioning. I hit Vulcan V2 crush before going to the gym. I just didn't have the power today. Kind of a disappointing crush workout. This happens every now and then though. I usually bounce back the very next workout. Its been a long week and I think its catching up with me. The important thing is just to push through workouts like this.

Vulcan V2

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 10 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 13 - L 15 = All good singles

L 15 + IM blue band on 8th notches = F, very bad set.

L 15 + IM blue band on 8th notches = F, close but no cigar. Just don't have the energy to fight the last little bit. Oh well, next time.

Doubles

L 12 = did a triple by mistake

L 13 - L 15 = All good doubles. barely got the double on L 15.

Triples

L 11 - L 13 = All good triples

L 14 = only 2 reps. Dam, that is usually easy

Left Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 10 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 13 - L 15 = all good singles

L 15 + IM orange band on 9th notches = F :(

L 15 + IM orange band on 8th notches = F, pissed

Doubles

L 12 - L 14 = All good doubles

L 15 = F, poop

Triples

L 11 - L14 All good triples. At least I got the triple on L 14 left.

Note = next crush workout will be TSG with a 1.75 inch credit card set.

I know these kind of workouts. They come along every now and than. Level 16 stays quite the next step up, doesn't it?

I know these kind of workouts. They come along every now and than. Level 16 stays quite the next step up, doesn't it?

ya, Still working on level 16. That set with the massive spread of the V2 is whats killing. I will say that working will the V2 has made me set on TSGs so much better. The 20mm block set at the comp was absolutely no problem. Its definitely going to help when I continue climbing the MM ladder since my set will be easy for the judges to see.

ya, Still working on level 16. That set with the massive spread of the V2 is whats killing. I will say that working will the V2 has made me set on TSGs so much better. The 20mm block set at the comp was absolutely no problem. Its definitely going to help when I continue climbing the MM ladder since my set will be easy for the judges to see.

What spring do you have Chez? Black dipped or Crom? I've done L16 with black dipped a few months back and then never trained the vulcan since. If my skinny but can set it I'd imagine you can. The Crom is harder, which I don't have so maybe that's the difference. Do you try to hydralic the set or do you pulse set it? By pulse set it I mean you give it a quick powerful hit to move the set closer in, then grab with fingers to hold it there, then pulse hit it again then repeat until you have it to the desired depth. I do this in quick bursts and it really helps get it deep. You can see it in the #3.5 vid I just did. And speaking of getting stronger on the set, I haven't used the vulcan in a long time but my set is way stronger now that I started doing bench press. I was amazed how quickly it helped. I assume you already bench though.

I like the microloading you've been doing. It looks to be very effective in constant progression.

What spring do you have Chez? Black dipped or Crom? I've done L16 with black dipped a few months back and then never trained the vulcan since. If my skinny but can set it I'd imagine you can. The Crom is harder, which I don't have so maybe that's the difference. Do you try to hydralic the set or do you pulse set it? By pulse set it I mean you give it a quick powerful hit to move the set closer in, then grab with fingers to hold it there, then pulse hit it again then repeat until you have it to the desired depth. I do this in quick bursts and it really helps get it deep. You can see it in the #3.5 vid I just did. And speaking of getting stronger on the set, I haven't used the vulcan in a long time but my set is way stronger now that I started doing bench press. I was amazed how quickly it helped. I assume you already bench though.

I like the microloading you've been doing. It looks to be very effective in constant progression.

Hey Daniel. I have the black dipped spring. I wish I could use the excuse of having the crom spring because I have heard that spring is a beast. When I set, I bring the handles in a little with my setting hand and then begin to wrap my fingers around at which point I use both the set hand and the fingers of the gripper hand to bring it in even closer. After this I take my set hand away real quick and crush. I will say I usually never train deep set. In fact I'm usually even farther than parallel most of the time but just say mms. I think I started doing this right from the beginning since I knew one day I wanted to work up to a CCS. I really need to continue to work on my set though. I am so much stronger once I get my pinky wrapped around. I still struggle CCS. My technique also needs to improve on my pinch and axle. Chris Rice and the others guys pointed out that I was basically doing still leg deadlifts and after watching the video I see what they mean. I do train bench and I'm actually taking the day off from grip tomorrow and hitting chest and tris at the gym.

Today I hit some pinch training:

1 hand plate pinching

two 25's = 5 reps left and right hand

2 Hand Ghetto Euro (basically 2 hand plate pinch. harder than a standard Euro)

152.5 lbs = 3 reps

157.5 = 2 reps

162.5 = 1 rep

Loadable Blob

29.5 lbs = 3 reps right and left

32.5 = 3 reps right and left

36.5 = 3 reps right and left

39 = 1 rep right and left

41.5 = 1 rep right, 1/2 way up left

1 HP on Vulcan thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notches = 1 set of 10 reps both right and left

2 red and 1 green IM band on top notches = 1 set of 5 reps both right and left

2 red and 1 green IM band on top notches = 1 set of 6 reps both right and left

Hey Daniel. I have the black dipped spring. I wish I could use the excuse of having the crom spring because I have heard that spring is a beast. When I set, I bring the handles in a little with my setting hand and then begin to wrap my fingers around at which point I use both the set hand and the fingers of the gripper hand to bring it in even closer. After this I take my set hand away real quick and crush. I will say I usually never train deep set. In fact I'm usually even farther than parallel most of the time but just say mms. I think I started doing this right from the beginning since I knew one day I wanted to work up to a CCS. I really need to continue to work on my set though. I am so much stronger once I get my pinky wrapped around. I still struggle CCS. My technique also needs to improve on my pinch and axle. Chris Rice and the others guys pointed out that I was basically doing still leg deadlifts and after watching the video I see what they mean. I do train bench and I'm actually taking the day off from grip tomorrow and hitting chest and tris at the gym.

Today I hit some pinch training:

1 hand plate pinching

two 25's = 5 reps left and right hand

2 Hand Ghetto Euro (basically 2 hand plate pinch. harder than a standard Euro)

152.5 lbs = 3 reps

157.5 = 2 reps

162.5 = 1 rep

Loadable Blob

29.5 lbs = 3 reps right and left

32.5 = 3 reps right and left

36.5 = 3 reps right and left

39 = 1 rep right and left

41.5 = 1 rep right, 1/2 way up left

1 HP on Vulcan thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notches = 1 set of 10 reps both right and left

2 red and 1 green IM band on top notches = 1 set of 5 reps both right and left

2 red and 1 green IM band on top notches = 1 set of 6 reps both right and left

Chez, how hard are those thumbscrew sets for you? Are they at 60% 80%? I copied your workout a while ago and started doing the thumbscrews and 2 red IM bands on the top notches I can rep out to 30+ with my right hand, so I was curious if you did them as a light set, or training set...

Thanks buddy