Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Thanks a lot Matt. I need to get my axle DO DL to at least the mid 300s by nationals but I'm inching my way up there slowly. My buddy came over today and we simulated the Durniat grip comp. I hit a PR in grippers and pinch so I'm happy. I didn't record the warmup weights so I'll just list the highs.

Grippers

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 MMS reps

COC #2 = 3 MMS reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

4 attempts with a parallel set like I would take in the contest

MM1 replica = Easy MMS rep

BBE = Easy MMS rep

Vulcan V2 level 15 + orange IM band on the 8th notches = Good Rep! (I don't have a TSG between my elite and coc 3.5 that I can MMS close).

Vulcan V2 Level 15 + Organge IM band on the top notches = Good Rep! New PR! See video below

2 HP pinch

Warm ups - didn't write down the weights

172.5 lbs = Good lift and New PR! Of course we forget to video tape it but I'll get video soon.

Ghetto Axle

warm ups - didn't record weights

304 lbs = Good lift

310 lbs = attempt at a new PR but I just failed at lockout. :angry2:

DB weight holds for time- did this simulate the frame hold.

155lb DBs in each hand - held for 41 seconds. Need to try this again this week with more weight. I ran out of plates.

Medley event training

Lifted my 44+ lb hex several times with each hand

Lifted my loadable blob at 36.5 lbs several times each hand

Rolling thunder = 120lbs for several reps each hand

Nail bending = bent some green nails

Hub = simulated hub lifts with my ghetto hub set up (shown in my pic gallery). several reps both hands.

Levering = 12.5 lbs on the levering bar for reps both right and left

Supination/pronation = 10 lbs for several reps with both hands

DB with fatgripz on the handle = 120lbs and 130lbs for reps with both hands.

Here is the Vulcan V2 PR close from above:

Note: We ran out of time because our GFs were complaining so we called it quits at this point. My friend enjoyed the training and we are going to train again soon.

i don't know what blocks you have but, you can use small plates and some string to add weight to make it more challenging.

def gotta give that a try this week Brent. I only have 3 hexs. a 44.4lb one and two 50.8lb ones. I also have the loadable blob but that's it. I'll start adding some plates to the 44+ lb hex to make the jump to the 50lb ones since I can't get them yet.

Get a kiddy trampoline! I saw guys bouncing the inch dumbbell on one for air time. Good way to get the hexes in your hand off the ground.

blocks that are too heavy is a bit more of a problem. you can cheat them up and fight them down. daniel reinard has had success just doing iso's on blocks. I've try deloaders but, they're more trouble than thay're worth in my experience.

Hey when are you gonna cert on 3? I'm waiting for it to happen so I can watch the video! :rock Get a crowd together to get you pumped up for a preliminary close, then do the same on game day.

Hey when are you gonna cert on 3? I'm waiting for it to happen so I can watch the video! :rock Get a crowd together to get you pumped up for a preliminary close, then do the same on game day.

haha, having my friend over the other day definitely helped me get psyched up. Gotta make it a more regular thing. I'll training TSG tonight. I need to get the COC #3 cert and MM3 cert. I will training hard to get both in the next couple months. Every time I attempt the #3 CCS I'm going to video tape it so I can post my first CCS close on the board. I don't have any quit in me :).

haha, having my friend over the other day definitely helped me get psyched up. Gotta make it a more regular thing. I'll training TSG tonight. I need to get the COC #3 cert and MM3 cert. I will training hard to get both in the next couple months. Every time I attempt the #3 CCS I'm going to video tape it so I can post my first CCS close on the board. I don't have any quit in me :).

And so it was said. And then a stranger from the other side of the ocean joined him and together they travelled further, down the path of righteousness :ph34r:

The #3 was going down. Only when was not certain.

• Like 1

blocks that are too heavy is a bit more of a problem. you can cheat them up and fight them down. daniel reinard has had success just doing iso's on blocks. I've try deloaders but, they're more trouble than thay're worth in my experience.

agreed. deloaders sound brilliant but after trying it on a few different lifts it sucks each time I try it. Cheat lifts then fight on way down is good. The no lift ISOs and drags on edge seemed golden.

And so it was said. And then a stranger from the other side of the ocean joined him and together they travelled further, down the path of righteousness :ph34r:

The #3 was going down. Only when was not certain.

I like that Geralt. This is turning into a vision quest. Keep the tips coming guys. They are always appreciated. I hit heavy TSG tonight. Focusing on paused parallel sets like I will be doing in the comp in less than 2 weeks.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 mms reps

COC #2 = 3 mms reps

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

BBGM = 1 mms rep

Working Singles

MM1 replica = 1 MMS rep

BB Elite = 1 MMS rep

MM3 replica = I attempted an MMS rep. 1/4 inch away. My first time really giving an all out effort on this gripper. It ramps up big time at the end. Lots of work to do but it will come.

BBE = 1 MMS rep

BBE = 1 MMS rep

BBE = 1 MMS rep. This was very close. I think I got it

GNC 300 = 1 MMS rep. (switched to this gripper because its harder than my #3 and has smooth handles. I wanted to give my skin a break).

GNC 300 = 1 MMS rep

GNC 300 = 1 MMS rep

GNNC 300 = 1 MMS rep

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 mms reps

COC #2 = 3 mms reps

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

Working Singles

COC #3 = 1 mms rep

COC #3 = 1 mms rep

COC #3 = 1 mms rep

BBGM = 1 mms rep

BBGM = 1 mms rep

BBGM = 1 mms rep

GNC 250 = 1 mms rep

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

Grippers coming along bro! I'd say another week or two until that MM3 goes down :excl:

Getting there. One step at a time. Thanks buddy. Tonight I hit some pinch training. Did pretty well with block weights

1 HP with Vulcan Thumb Screws - used this as a warm up to get the blood flowing

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps with both right and left hand

2 HP on my ghetto euro

Singles

1) 102.5 lbs = Good

2) 122.5 lbs = Good

3) 132.5 lbs = Good

4) 142.5 lbs = Good

5) 152.5 lbs = Good

6) 157.5 lbs = Good

7) 167.5 lbs = Good

8) 173 lbs = F, I got a little air. This would have been a new PR but it wasn't meant to be. Oh well. next time

Hex Weights

singles

44.2 lb hex = Good lift both right and left

44.2 lb hex + 2.5 lbs (small weights on a string) = Good lift both right and left

44.2 lbs hex + 3.75 lbs = Good lift both right and left

44.2 lb hex + 5 lbs = Good lift both right and left

50.8 lb hex = Gave it a few attempts both right and left. I just broke it off the floor with both my right and left hand. This is the first time I have been able to do this so that's encouraging.

Loadable Blob

Singles

39.5 lbs = Good lift right and left

40.75 lbs = Good lift right and left

42 lbs = Good lift right and left

43.75 lbs = Good lift right but failed left.

1 HP vulcan thumb screws

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps both right and left hand

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notches = 1 set of 10 reps both right and left hand.

Hit some thick bar and wrist work today. Decided to change things up and not hit axle lifts so my lower back can have a break.

Timed Dumbbell holds with fatgripz on handles

120 lbs per hand = held as long as possible 3 times

Rolling Thunder

134 lbs = 3 reps right and 3 reps left

144 lbs = 2 reps right and 2 reps left

151.5lbs = 1 rep right and 1 left

154 lbs = 1 rep right and 1 left

157 lbs = 1 rep left and fail right - it slipped at lock out. The holds before fried my hands

Levering

13.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps right and left

Supination/pronation

13.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps right and left

Tomorrow - I hit the Vulcan. Can't wait. I enjoy all aspects of grip but grippers are still my favorite.

Continuing to micro load the Vulcan V2. This time busting out the IM blue band for the first time.

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 6 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 10 =1 rep

Working

Singles

L 13 - L 15 = All good singles

L 15 + Blue IM band on 3rd notches = Good. Getting a feel for the blue band

L 15 + Blue IM band on 7th notches = F, Very Very close and I got a bad set. I will attempt this first next time and its going down

Doubles

L 11 - L15 = All good doubles. L 15 is getting very easy

Triples

L 11 - L 14 = All good Triples

Left Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 6 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 10 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 15 + blue IM band on 3rd notch = G

Doubles

L 11 - L 15 = All good doubles

Triples

L 11 - L 14 = All good triples

Note: I figure I got one more heavy gripper training session before the durniat comp and I will be doing TSGs since that is what will be in the contest. I'm going try my MM3 again and maybe upload the attempt if I get close.

Really wasn't suppose to train tonight but I got bored and decided to hit TSG again. My thumbs are sore so I will wait to hit pinch next workout.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 mms reps

COC #2 = 3 mms reps

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

BBGM = 1 mms rep

Working

MMS Singles

BBE = Good

MM3 = 1/4 inch off again. tried to get a video but it turned out like garage. the lighting was all off. I'll wait till I close it.

BBE = Good

BBE = Good

BBE = Good

BBE = Good. just dominating this gripper

GNC 300 = Good

GNC 300 = Good

GNC 300 = Good

GNC 300 = Good

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 mms reps

COC #2 = 3 mms reps

COC #2.5 = 1 mms rep

Working

MMS singles

COC #3 = Good. See video below. I want the MM1 off hand cert. I think the off hand cert was a great idea and will motivate me to train my left harder.

COC #3 = Good

COC #3 = Good

COC #3 = Good

BBGM = Good

BBGM = Good

BBGM = Good

BBGM = Good

COC #2.5 = Good

COC #2.5 = Good

Here is the COC #3 Left hand (off hand) MMS close. I used a song with bad language just a heads up if you are going to open it with kids in the room. :

Good work Chez! Strong. I'm nearly there with my lefty. Oh and no probs with the bad language. I only prefer to use that in the bedroom haha whooooops :shutup::zorro:

Hit some pinch training today.

Loadable Blob

26.5 lbs = 5 lifts right and 5 lifts left

34 lbs = 2 lifts right and 2 lifts left

44.2 lb hex block

no weight added = 5 lifts right and 5 lifts left

+5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

+5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

+7.5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left. Nice, next time I'll try adding 10 lbs

Loadable Blob

37 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

40 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

41.5 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

42.75 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

44.5 lbs = air with both left and right but no lock out on either hand.

Ghetto shallow hub (simulated hub surface is a 1.25lb weight plate)

26.25 lbs = 2 lifts right and 2 left

29.25 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 left

31.75 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

Ghetto Hub (simulated hub surface is two 1.25lb plates stacked on top of each other)

35 lbs = 1 lift right and 1 lift left

37.5 lbs = 2 lifts right and 2 lifts left

40.5 lbs = 2 lifts right and 2 lifts left

1 HP on Vulcan V2 thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 3 sets of 10 reps both right and left

2 Red and 1 White IM Band on top notches = 1 set of 10 reps on both right and left

2 Red and 1 White IM Band on top notches = 1 set of 5 reps on both right and left

Note - Thumbs are probably going to be sore tomorrow so I'll hit crush training tomorrow.

Big numbers! You sure are getting some solid results with pinch training. What did you first pull on the loadable blob when you got it?

Thanks Sean. I just looked back in my log and in my first full workout with the blob I got 32.75lbs right and left hand.

Thanks Sean. I just looked back in my log and in my first full workout with the blob I got 32.75lbs right and left hand.

Wow that's huge. I was able to pull 21 first workout and after 3 workouts I am at 26. 15 years of rock climbing followed by 2 years of downtime killed all those years of training, but I think it might come back quick...

How big is your hand? I did a quick measurement and got 7.75" tip of pinky to tip of thumb, and the same for tip of middle finger to wrist.

I think the Vulcan thumbscrews have really helped me, but I'm still playing catch up in pinch. Kinda of worried about the 2HP and medley this weekend but I'll just give it my best shot. M hands are 8 inches long measured from the first crease in the wrist to the tip of middle finger and I have a 9 inch spread from top of pinky to top of thumb.

Hit some Vulcan V2 crush. Continuing to micro load.

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 10 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 15 + IM Blue Band on the 7th notches = Got it. Had to fight for it though.

Doubles

Triples

Left Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 10 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 15 + Orange IM band on 8th notches = Good

L 15 + Orange IM band on top notches = Fail. Next time I will attempt notch 9 or 10 first.

Doubles

Triples

Note - Probably hit some thick bar tomorrow as my last heavy training session before the weekend. Might do some very light work thursday and friday to stay sharp.

I've read through this entire thread. I'm very impressed with your will power and intensity (besides your obvious strength).

One question though. Do you let your hands rest? For regular weight training I've taken up to 2 weeks off and come back stronger than before. I never train for volume, just pure low rep strength.

Keep up the good work! I'm quite sure you're the type of person who will not quit until you reach your goals.

I've read through this entire thread. I'm very impressed with your will power and intensity (besides your obvious strength).

One question though. Do you let your hands rest? For regular weight training I've taken up to 2 weeks off and come back stronger than before. I never train for volume, just pure low rep strength.

Keep up the good work! I'm quite sure you're the type of person who will not quit until you reach your goals.

Thanks for those kind words. When I first started the log I only trained grippers and I gave myself 2-3 days between workouts. I actually found it really hard to stay away that long. I have expanded my training to include pinch and thick bar work. I rotate those aspects of grip much like I rotate the body parts I train when I do my regular weight lifting (chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders.). At first I was sore all the time but my recovery time has greatly improved while on this high frequency routine. I also go by feel. If my thumbs are really sore from my last pinch workout, I'll work my crush grip since its involves the thumb very little (just the set requires the thumb). I got the idea to start doing this high frequency training from watching Adam Glass train. Hes one of the strongest guys on the board and he trains almost everyday. I also talked to others on the board with more experience and heard of the frequency of the KTA program. Been making some nice gains so I'm really happy with how its turning out. I'm always experimenting to see what works best for me and to keep my training interesting. Thanks again and good luck in your training.

I was going to hit some heavy axle tonight but my thumbs are still sore and I decided not to push things so close to the comp this weekend. I used my fat gripz during my back workout tonight instead. I used my motorized universal machine. This the machine works on resistance that isn't a weight stack. I'm not going to record the weights since they don't mean anything unless you use the machine.

Lat Pull downs with fat gripz

6 sets of 15 reps pyramiding up in weight

Machine Rows with fat gripz

3 sets of 12 reps pyramiding up in weight

I finished off the workout by doing my biceps with standard loadable dumbbells. seated dumbbell preacher curls with palms up for 3 sets and then seated dumbbell preacher hammer curls for 3 sets. My biceps have been stuck in the 18 - 18.5 inch range unpumped for a while now. I'm going to make a push to get them to 20 inches by late this year.

Note: This was my last grip workout before the comp this weekend. I may practice my gripper set technique tomorrow with light grippers but nothing worth mentioning in the log. I'm going to bring my HD flip cam this weekend to record my performances and I'll make sure to upload some vids as soon as I get back. Hopefully someone can help me out and do the recording for me. A little nervous but very excited for my first competition. I'm going to give it my all. This should be a nice warm up experience on legit equipment before nationals this summer.