Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Buddy bailed last night so pushed the training to today for more rest

Afternoon training 

farmers walks 

120 per hand - 35 feet forward and back

170 per hand - 35 feet forward and back 

215 per hand - 35 feet forward and back. Most weight so far and most the hands have held since the surgery. Felt comfortable. Probably 220 next time. Humidity was brutal today  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Evening training 

Seated One Arm Dumbbell Overhead Press 

3 warm ups 

70 lbs - 5x each arm 

80 lbs - 5x each arm 

90 lbs - 3x each arm 

100 lbs - 3x right and 2x left. The left wrist makes this hard plus that elbow has been cranky and since I’m using 2 50 lb DBs stacked the left has less coordination making it harder on that side 

80 lbs - 10x each arm 

note - fitness room only has up to 50 lb DBs so I’m using two DBs. A 50 and another stacked perpendicular on top. This makes it tougher since it’s a balancing act. 

seated one arm DB tricep extension 

30 lb DB - 4 sets of 15x. Going to take it easy with the triceps work by doing higher reps for a bit to let the left elbow rest up

One Hand slick Flask Pinch

Right Hand 

76 lbs - 2 singles 

81 lbs - 1x

71 lbs - 2x

66 lbs - 2 doubles 

56 lbs - 3 triples 

56 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds 

One Hand 4” pinch block pinch

right hand 

58 lbs - 3 singles 

53 lbs - 3 doubles

48 lbs - 3 triples

48 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds 

note - no pinch work with the left to let the wrist heal. Icing the wrist now and some red light therapy which I am really starting to believe in. 

Edited by Chez

Yesterday’s training:

Squats

3 warm ups

225 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 3x. Happy with that since I have battled so many leg injures and I did farmers walks the day before. Achilles is feeling much better. And my buddy’s plates are heavy so every set is really at least 12 lbs heavier. Going for more weight next time top set.

265 lbs - 10x, happy with that Cause I’m building my squat back up

RBA adjustable Right hand crush workout 

- cause my left wrist is bad I did my crush workout with my RBA with the extended handle and pushed the long handle into the ground to set to save my left wrist. Not worth logging as I was experimenting with the resistance. Just trying to maintain while the worst heals 

Lat pull Downs 

1 warm up 

150 in plates - 4 sets of 8x. I was tired so I went light today

Tonight’s training 

Dumbbell Single Arm Preacher Curls (Steep incline bench)

3 warm ups

50 lb DB - 4 sets of 12x each arm

Standing One Leg Calf Raises 

BW (280 lbs) - 4 sets of 30x each leg. Achilles is making great progress since I have been taking it slow 

Lying leg Raise 

4 sets of 15x

Keeping fighting, keep moving forward..... 

Real quick workout tonight. Just a couple accessories I didn’t get to hit in other workouts:

Prone DB Row (incline bench)

50 lb DBs - 4 sets of 20x

Lying Band Single Leg Hamstring Curls 

green band doubled up - 4 sets of 15x each leg

- hand to experiment with this to find the right door anchor height and that that I like one leg at a time better. Nice contraction in the muscle. Best exercise with the bands by far. 

Edited by Chez

Tonight’s training: 

Flat Barbell Bench Press 

3 warm ups 

195 lbs - 5x

215 lbs - 5x

235 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 5x

Incline Barbell Bench Press 

185 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 3x

Barbell Floor Press - every rep paused

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

275 lbs - 2x. Wanted a third but decided against it cause left wrist was acting up

245 lbs - 3x

straight bar tricep press Downs 

70 lb in plates - 4 sets of 20x

- again light cause left elbow has been acting up but weight than last time. 

Note - happy I increased weight on flat bench and incline. Pec feels great but dam my wrist was hurting on the heavier sets and because of it I couldn’t move up on floor press. Feel like the wrist is getting better but wears down over the workout as time passes and obviously the weight increases so thinking of pausing the weights here and moving the reps up again. More rehab tonight. “This too shall pass”

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Alright missed logging some workouts but things are going well. Back on the raise. Highlights for the workouts I missed: 

Saturday June 13th

AM

Sled Pull and Drag - we switched from farmers and used the sled which is new from me. We pulled it holding a straight bar behind the back/running forward attached to a weight belt and pulling backwards with straight bar back and forth over 35 feet of grass. I played with the weight cause this is new and worked up to 180-190 each way but it was all easy so I need to use more next time 

PM

Shoulders and tris 

highlight was working up to 100 seated one arm press (two stacked 50s) hitting 3 right and 2 left and back off of 80 for 12 each arm.

Sunday 

Deads stuff leg deads and lat pull downs

worked up to a 405 deadlift for a double which is really 420 cause the plates are heavy

Monday

rows, hamstrings calves and abs. Nothing special 

Tuesday 

Biceps and crusher. Worked up to a post surgery PR on the 2.5 crusher of 150

tonight 

Best bench session since the wrist started acting up:

Flat Barbell Bench

3 warm ups

205 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

245 lbs - 5x

265 lbs - 5x

- 10 lbs heavier than last week every set

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 4x

245 lbs - 3x

same weight but more reps set 1 and 2

Floor Barbell Press - every rep paused

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

275 lbs - 3x. Finally got 3rd rep after feeling too much wrist pain last two weeks to even try 

250 lbs - 3x. Just 5 lbs heavier than last week 

Tricep Pushdowns

1 warm up

80 lbs in plates - 4 sets of 20. 10 lbs more than last week 

- overall happy since I went up across the board and lot less wrist pain cause I am really wrapping it heavy right now 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched your coin lift with a 8 pound sledge on Facebook. I never tried this before and I had a 10 pound sledge in the garage.....embarrassed to say but it felt like it was glued to the ground and I should probably buy a 6 pounder! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gerryg said:

I watched your coin lift with a 8 pound sledge on Facebook. I never tried this before and I had a 10 pound sledge in the garage.....embarrassed to say but it felt like it was glued to the ground and I should probably buy a 6 pounder! 

Ya. Just one pound makes a huge difference with that lift. It’s really humbling 

20 hours ago, Chez said:

Ya. Just one pound makes a huge difference with that lift. It’s really humbling 

I did a rough calculation and i'm not sure if its accurate, but on a standard 32" handle 1lb of weight equals to about 30lbs of force 

46 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

I did a rough calculation and i'm not sure if its accurate, but on a standard 32" handle 1lb of weight equals to about 30lbs of force 

There is a formula somewhere for the torque poundage. I forgot where 

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

There is a formula somewhere for the torque poundage. I forgot where 

Weight times length in feet gives you foot-lbs, super simple. So 10lb 32inch hammer would be 26.67ft-lbs of torque at your hand. Can do this for other hammers or even other hand positions to figure out what hammer it could be, or comparing weighted hammers and stuff 

58 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Weight times length in feet gives you foot-lbs, super simple. So 10lb 32inch hammer would be 26.67ft-lbs of torque at your hand. Can do this for other hammers or even other hand positions to figure out what hammer it could be, or comparing weighted hammers and stuff 

I know they used a formula for a comp which yields a way higher number. I’ll find it later and it was used for nags scoring 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I know they used a formula for a comp which yields a way higher number. I’ll find it later and it was used for nags scoring 

Could have used inch-lbs, would be 12 times higher and make you look 12 times cooler 

Alright work has been kicking my ass as always so I am super behind on logging. Things are going well i am going back up on everything. 

Wrist gets better every day. Last bench session I worked up to 275x3 flat bench last set no problem aand 250x3 incline no problem. It’s still not 100% but getting there. Last shoulder session hit a pr last sets with double stacked 50 lb dumbbells seated shoulder press of 5x right and super smooth 2x left and a back off of 80 (50+30) for 14x right and 12 left. 

last deadlift session worked up to 415x2 last set buts it’s really more 430 cause we weighed the plates 

we switched to Sledge Pull/drag in various ways from farmers walks Saturday and I am still figuring out the working weight. 225 each was too easy last session so I will up to 250 tomorrow 

for grip, the wrist has set me back on grip but im still in the 180s for grippers. Here are videos of me doing a 180 grip genie gripper rated at 180 at a training session 6/20 and I closed it 3 more times from wider sets after. Plus I dominated a 2nd gen 50 lb blob (after not touching blobs for 2.5 years) and got a 54.5 lb fat man right above knee level after and coin deadlift with a 8 lb sledge. Here are the vids:

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maiche 25 said:

The grip genie are superb. Really easy, almost sure you can close it with the GHP block, have you already tried?😀

Haven’t yet. My wrist has been bad so my gripper strength is done a little but I just bought my own 6 which is 9 lbs heavier than the one in the video. At peak strength I definitely could cause I have closed heavier at that distance 

• Like 1

Looks like you had plenty more in da tank on the sledge choke lift- strong lift.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Looks like you had plenty more in da tank on the sledge choke lift- strong lift.

Thanks Mike. Would be nice to get 10 lber in the future. It will motivate me to get more consistent with the wrist work 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks Mike. Would be nice to get 10 lber in the future. It will motivate me to get more consistent with the wrist work 

Your lift was really nice to watch as it was 100% level from the jump. I can see you doing the 10lbs with training for sure! 

• Thanks 1

Gotta get back to logging. 

AM Training

Sled pulls/drags over grass backyard 

arms behind back with a straight bar

215 lbs - 35 feet down and back 

230 lbs - 35 feet down and back

leaning forward attaches to weight belt 

255 lbs - 2 times 35 feet down and back 

Pulling backwards grabbing straight ba

230 lbs - 2 times 35 feet down and back

Edited by Chez

behind on the log again. Work has been killing me and this wrist issue has set me back but Just finished a great shoulder and tricep session. My best pressing session since the wrist started acting up. 

Single Arm Seated DB Press (using two perpendicular stacked DBs so balancing act also)

3 warm ups

70 lbs (50 + 20) - 5x each arm

80 lbs (50 + 30) - 3x each arm

90 lbs (50+ 40) - 3x each amr

100 lbs (50 + 50) - 6x right and 5x left. Rep PR since the wrist got bad each arm. Huge PR with the left especially cause its the injured one. 

90 lbs ( 50 +40) - 9x right and 8x left. was using 80 for the back off but upped it to 90 and surpassed expectation at this point. 

Finished with One arm overhead DB triceps extensions, Seated DB Side Laterals and Reverse DB Laterals

- Used more tape on the wrist this session and it definitely helped. Going to wrapping the crap out of it for upcoming sessions. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Not my best deadlift session but not my worst either. Work is killing me lately so that and the crazy heat and humidity in my buddy’s garage gym are definitely affecting me (I swear more than anyone I have ever met and beat just kills me) My baseline deadlift strength is definitely on the raise though after some set backs (finger surgery, cellutious in my leg, pec strain, wrist issue.....blah blah). It’s obviously still too low for my size but my lower body has always been behind since I have a history of lower body genetic issues and injuries but I gotta keep fighting. Friend’s plates weigh heavy so every weight is like 15 heavier at least

Deadlifts 

4 warm ups

315 lbs - 2x

355 lbs - 2x

385 lbs - 2x

405 lbs - 2x. I wanted more but it wasn’t there today. Humidity was god awful in the garage and I have been pushing myself hard at work with a board report coming up. 

Stiff Leg Deficit Deadlifts (standing on 25s)

225 lbs - 2 sets of 10x 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Great crusher session last night

Single Leg Band Hamstring Curls 

Dark Green Band - 3 sets of 15x each leg 

Single Leg Standing Calf Raises 

BW - 3 sets of 45x each leg

Lying Leg Raises 

3 sets of 15x

FBBC 2.5” Crusher - Right Hand, no chalk

155 lbs - 1x. Boom. New post surgery PR on my slick as snot crusher 

152.5 lbs - locked it out but slipped as I was putting it down. That stung the finger tips 

147.5 lbs - 1x

137.5 lbs - 3 doubles

127.5 lbs - 3 triples 

127.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds 

note - really happy with the crusher progress. I am very close to were I was pre surgery. My crusher isn’t seasoned at all and is slick as hell. I pulled more on others. Still resting the left cause of the bad wrist 

• Like 2

Here’s a picture of my 2.5” crusher. Super smooth and I have had it for years. Ya, it’s a little darker than when I had first gotten it but absolutely no rust crusting. Because it’s so smooth I don’t use chalk when I train with it so no chance of chalk getting into it and it spins like new. I always lift more on other people’s 

8D235194-3588-4450-AB87-5A481AFBAEAB.jpeg

Edited by Chez