Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

4 hours ago, Raymond said:

I've heard it said quite a few times that the true measure of a man is how he deals with adversity.

Inspirational stuff mate, kudos to you on your comeback!

Agreed. Good luck, Chez!

• Thanks 1

Fantastic news to pair with a fantastic workout! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you gentlemen! I’m excited to be back! It’s been a long and crazy work week so I’m resting tonight but this weekend I plan to go to war in the gym. All the best in your training!

• Like 2

Time to post today's training. I had a rough start to the day. I was exhausted yesterday from a long and stressful work week so I slept in late. On top of that, I woke up feeling ill. My stomach was in bad shape. I have a wheat gluten allergy and it felt like I got contaminated. I was suppose to lift after lunch but I couldn't even finished lunch so I got it wrapped up and headed home for more rest. I knew it wasn't a good idea to go to the gym feeling like this. I eventually decided to push myself to the gym around 4:30 pm and I was able to rebound and have a great workout!

Standing Barbell Overhead Press

2 warm up sets

135 lbs - 3x. moved super fast

165 lbs - 2x. moved super fast

185 lbs - 2x. Moved super fast. It was at this point I knew this was going to be a good workout. The extra rest paid off. 

210 lbs - 4 sets of triples! every rep felt so fast and smooth. I actually only planned for doubles when I walked into the gym because of the start of the day but every rep felt so dam good I went to triples. definitely more in the tank. its days like this that are the most important in training. Some days you won't feel great and you are facing adversity. you can either quit or make the best of it and grind. I decided to grind. 

Machine Rear Laterals

100 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

Seated Machine Shoulder Press

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. Fast and explosive. I did this for some more volume and speed training. Easy Money

Seated Machine Bent Arm Lateral Raises

70 lbs - 10x

90 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

- Too easy. More weight next time

1 Hand Flask Pinch

1 warm up set

36 lbs - 2 sets of 5x each hand

41 lbs - 3 sets of 5x each hand

- Obviously this is super light weight and it felt easy. My doctor said I can start grip training but I have to start slow. I'm holding back. Every week I'll add weight. This felt great. My hands feel great. 

1 Hand Sorinex 4" Pinch Block Lift

25.5 lbs - 2 sets of 5x each hand

28 lbs - 3 sets of 5x each hand

- Again. Easy money. More weight next time. 

Thumbscrews Dynamic Pinch

Heavy grips gripper

1 sets of 25x

4 sets of 20x

Note: deadlifts and grippers tomorrow. I feel so dam good and lucky to be back training. Its all about prospective. When you get injured and can't train for months, you realize how lucky you are to be able to train again.............I'll keep fighting because that's who I am. 1 step at a time i'll rebuild myself 

• Like 4

Deadlifts and Right Hand Grippers today. Only my 3rd gripper session since coming back to training and it went better than expected. My deadlifts are weak right now because I had a back issue for a while before the hand surgery and I'm still battling achilles tendonitis. I also have to use wrist wrap hooks for deadlifts right now because my hand isn't ready for the weight. At least I am making progress though and getting stronger everyday.

Deadlifts with Wrist Wrap Hooks

2 Warm Up Sets

225 lbs - 2x

275 lbs  - 2x

315 lbs - 3 sets of 5x. Good enough for today. I have squats tomorrow

Seated Medium Width Cable Rows

110 lbs - 4 sets of 15x. I just started to do these without the hooks. The doctor wants me to slowly increase the weight and get my hand use to handling weight again. I'll keep bumping it up week by week. Feels good to use my hands again. 

Lat Pull Downs

110 lbs - 2 sets of 15x. Same thing. Just started not using the hooks so I have to ease into these. 

Right Hand TNS Grippers

Warm Ups

COC #2 - 5 sets of 5x TNS. Not too shabby. Strength is coming back quickly. This went better than I thought for my 3rd session. Video of the first set below. 

GHP 4 - 3 sets of 5x TNS 

COC #1.5 - 3 sets of 5x TNS

COC #1 - 3 sets of 5x TNS  

- Good enough for today. Squats and wrist work tomorrow. I'll hit therapy grippers for the left hand tonight and soon hit regular grippers for that hand as well.

• Like 5

Time to log tonight's training. hit legs tonight. Again, I haven't done squats in a while because of some back and legs issues that occurred even before the hand injury so I'm weak on them but I'm getting stronger every week. 

Barbell Back Squats

2 Warm Up Sets

225 lbs - 5x

275 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

Leg Extensions

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

Lying Hamstring Curls

95 lbs - 8x

110 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Machine Leg press Single Leg Calf Extensions

120 lbs - 4 sets of 25x each  Leg. Still battling Achilles Tendonitis so I am going light here and really feeling the stretch 

Ab Machine Crunches 

110 lbs - 4 sets of 25x. Been lazy with my abs but they are important for core strength 

Entensors 

Ironmind Red Band - I lost track of the sets cause I did them while drinking wine and watching a movie (recovery :)) but 4-6 sets of 50x each hand

Note - Decided to postpone wrist training until this weekend because I'm exhausted. I'm going to get back on my regular grip train schedule. I also figured out why my stomach has been feeling like shit lately (felt like that again tonight). I checked the label of the new shampoo I just bought and sure enough it contains Wheat causing my wheat allergy to act up (yes, I'm that sensitive and it absorbs through my skin). I hate this allergy because its in like everything and I have to check the ingredients of everything. Thank god I checked. Live and learn.......

Getting stronger every week. In a good flow right now. Gotta harness it. It’s circular. All good things

“ You gotta rise above it. You gotta harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. Feel the flow Happy. Feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and AROUND. It's circular. Circle, with the music, the flow. All good things.”

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

I was just looking at the image of your hand in the vid you posted yesterday @Chez, did you have a carpal tunnel release done when they repaired the tendon pulley or was the incision on your wrist an access port so they could set the tension on the pulley repair?

7 hours ago, Raymond said:

I was just looking at the image of your hand in the vid you posted yesterday @Chez, did you have a carpal tunnel release done when they repaired the tendon pulley or was the incision on your wrist an access port so they could set the tension on the pulley repair?

Good eye noticing the wrist incision Raymond. I have another one 3 inches down my forearm that you can’t see in the picture. So, I had a grade 3 pulley rupture and normally when that happens, the doctors recommend the conservative method (grade 4 is where you normally need surgery) which is wearing a pulley ring and letting scar tissue form to close the pulley tear. That’s what the first doctor had me doing but I got a second opinion and that doctor had me take a more advanced scan and what he noticed is the pulley ripped right off the bone on both sides (instead of tearing in the middle) so it wasn’t going to heal with the conservative method because it wasn’t attached at all. He had to reattached the pulley on both sides. And because I told him what I do and the force that I generate (I told him I close grippers few men can and can generate about 300 lbs on a hand dyno etc which he was amazed at because he’s never seen anyone hit 200) he took a tendon graft from my wrist and wrapped it around the pulley to reinenorce it so the scars on my wrist are from where he took the graft. This is the first time he’s done this. The previous doctor mentioned it was an idea but he had never done it either. Neither of them had heard of being done but this guy decided to do it. I’m happy I found this doctor who treated me like a strength athlete and took the extra step to reinforce the repair because I feel great.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

It sounds like you had a good surgeon, I popped a pulley about 18 months ago and they didn't do anything for it. I had a hard painful lump there for almost a year but it's settled down now and it seems OK but I'm not brave enough to test it on the same fingertip hold at the indoor rock climbing place again yet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Raymond said:

It sounds like you had a good surgeon, I popped a pulley about 18 months ago and they didn't do anything for it. I had a hard painful lump there for almost a year but it's settled down now and it seems OK but I'm not brave enough to test it on the same fingertip hold at the indoor rock climbing place again yet.

I did lots and lots of research and I'm super happy with my doctor. I would totally recommend him to any gripster with a hand injury. Testing yourself after injury is always hard psychologically. I also tore the A2 pulley on my left hand middle finger that night and we are going the conservative route with that hand so I am not as confident and taking it slower with that hand. I hope you make a full recovery buddy. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I left work a little early tonight so I could work out with my friend whos a 61 year old powerlifter whos won his weight class (hes a smaller guys in the mid 150s) and age for 25 years straight. I made sure to eat an early dinner at work to fuel myself for the workout. I am not going lie, I was super tired tonight driving to the gym. The same energy just wasn't there as it was last week but I was able to rebound and have a great workout. 

Barbell Bench Press

3 warm up sets

225 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 2x

285 lbs - 2x

325 lbs - 1x. It wasn't easy because my energy was low tonight and I got out of position on the way down but I got it. its days like this that you have to grind

275 lbs - 5x

275 lbs - 4x

245 lbs - 5x. I could have squeezed out some more but I decided to save it for the rest of the exercises 

Incline Barbell Bench Press

195 lbs - 5x

215 lbs - 5x

235 lbs - 5x. Easy money. More weight next week

Smith Machine Barbell Floor Press (Counting the bar as 45 lbs even though it isn't for easy weight calculation)

275 lbs - 3x with a nice long pause at the bottom each rep 

285 lbs - 3x with a nice long pause at the bottom each rep

295 lbs - 3x with a nice long pause at the bottom each rep

Machine Pec Deck Flys 

170 lbs - 10x with a nice pause with the handles touching squeezing the chest

210 lbs - 8x with a nice pause with the handles touching squeezing the chest

230 lbs - 8x with a nice pause with the handles touching squeezing the chest

250 lbs (entire stack) - 8x with a nice pause with the handles touching squeezing the chest

Machine Single Arm Tricep Extensions

110 lbs - 10x each side

125 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each side

Machine Single Arm Biceps Curls

2 warm ups sets

155 lbs - 4 sets of 8x each arm. There is only one full plate left and micro jumps left on this machine and you can do 2 arm at the same time. I think this is the most I have ever used on it. My biceps are feeling strong. I will be maxing this mahine out soon.   

I'm going to be bigger and stronger than ever. Just need to keep grinding....................

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

This weekends Training:

Saturday 9/14/19

Deadlifts with Wrist Wrap Hooks

2 warm up sets

225 lbs - 3x

275 lbs - 2x

335 lbs - 3 sets of triples

2.5" Crusher Lifts

67.5 lbs - 2 sets of 10x each hand

72.5 lbs - 10x each hand

77.5 lbs - 2 sets of 10x each hand

- Just like all grip work, I'm starting light and I'll slowly up the weight each week

Medium Grip Cable Rows with 2.25" Yes 4 All Grips

120 lbs - 4 sets of 10x

Lat Pull Downs

120 lbs - 4 sets of 10x with 2.25" Yes 4 All Grips

Sunday 9/15/19

Standing Barbell Overhead Press

135 lbs - 8x

165 lbs - 2x

195 lbs - 2x

215 lbs - 3 sets of doubles

Machine Rear Laterals

100 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Seated Machine Side Laterals

70 lbs - 10x

90 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

Sledge Levers to front

6 lb Sledge - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Sledge Levers to Rear

6 lb Sledge - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Sledge Supination/Pronation 

6 lb Sledge Choke up on the handle (hand in front of blue tape)- 3 sets of 10x each hand

• Like 3

Tonight’s training. Hit a quick light leg session. I was talking to my powerlifter friend and he suggested alternating heavy back and leg days so my body stays fresh. So I’m going to try light legs/heavy back and the reverse the following week and see how it goes. Forearms were actually sore today for the first time in a long time. Been going light with grip but my hands aren’t use to  doing anything so they are still sore. Feels good to be sore again. 

Leg extensions 

2 warm up sets

125 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

155 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

185 lbs - 10x

Single Leg Leg Press Machine 

160 lbs - 10x each leg

180 lbs - 10x each leg

200 lbs - 10x each leg

220 lbs - 10x each leg

240 lbs - 10x each leg

Single Leg Calf Extensions on Leg Press

1 warm up set 

120 lbs - 5 sets of 25x each leg 

still fighting this dam achilles tendonitis. Follow up doctor appointment Thursday 

Lying Hamstring Curls 

95 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

125 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Ab Crunch Machine

125 lbs - 5 sets of 25x

Extensors 

IM Red Band - 5 sets of 60x each hand

Note - chest and arms Wednesday. Now that my pressing is back to being pretty good going to start a bench program Wednesday and a shoulder press program this weekend. Been going by feel until now.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Chest and arm training tonight. Started a bench press program I have used in the past. Like all programs it starts light and ramps up.

Barbell Bench Press Program

4 warm up sets up to 225lbs

260 lbs - 4 sets of triples

285 lbs - 1x

195 lbs - 20x. AMRAP. Dam cardio set. Not use to high reps like this. Fried the tris.

205 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

Smith Machine Floor Press

295 lbs - 2 sets of doubles with nice pause on the floor each time 

285 lbs - 3x with a nice pause on the bottom each time 

- treating the bar as 45 lbs even though it’s not

Machine Pec Deck Flys

190 lbs - 8x with a handles touching pause each rep

210 lbs  - 8x with a handles touching pause each rep

230 lbs  - 8x with a handles touching pause each rep

250 (whole stack) - 8x with a handles touching pause each rep

Single Arm Machine Bicep Curls

155 lbs - 4 sets of 8x each arm

Single Arm Machine Tricep Extensions 

125 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm

• Like 3

Met up with a friend for a leg session. I also hit some pinch work. Here is how training went:

Barbell Back Squats

4 warm up sets

275 lbs - 3x

295 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 3x

315 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 10x

Leg Extensions

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

Lying Leg Curls

95 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

125 lbs - 8x

125 lbs - 8x

Flask 1 Hand Pinch

1 warm up set each hand

46 lbs - 2 sets of 5x each hand

51 lbs - 2 sets of 5x each hand

Sorinex 4 inch Pinch Block 1 Hand Pinch

28 lbs - 2 sets of 5x each hand

33 lbs - 2 sets of 5x each hand

Thumbscrews Dynamic Pinch

HG Gripper - 5 sets of 20x

Note - Tomorrow is Shoulders and grippers. I plan on trying a standing overhead Barbell press PR and Post surgery Gripper PR. Lets Go!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Lennix said:

Good luck!! 

Thanks buddy. Just got back from a great training sessions. Hit Shoulders and Right Hand TNS Grippers. Hit a Standing Overhead Press All time PR (Not just post surgery) and post surgery gripper PR. 

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

3 warm up sets

215 lbs - 1x. Real strong explosive

230 lbs - 1x. New all time PR and I dominated it! Moved real fast and explosive. I tried 235 after but I wasted to much energy and couldn't lock it out. Next time. 

215 lbs - 3 sets of doubles

Going to start a overhead press program next week

Right Hand TNS Grippers

Lots of warm up Closes

COC 2.5 (133 RBG) - 5 TNS Singles. Best since surgery. Video of first close below. Getting stronger every week. 

GHP 5 - 3 sets of 3x TNS

COC #2 - 3 sets of 3x TNS

GHP 4 - 3 sets of 3x TNS

COC #1.5 - 3 sets of 3x TNS

COC #1 - 5 sets of 5x TNS

Machine Rear Laterals

110 lbs - 8x

120 lbs - 8x

130 lbs - 8x

140 lbs - 8x

155 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Seated Machine Lateral Raises

70 lbs - 10x

90 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

Here is the video of the first #2.5 TNS close:

• Like 2

Well done! Amazing closes and thats a really respectable OHP! Whats the tought process behind doing TNS on the road back? 

22 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Well done! Amazing closes and thats a really respectable OHP! Whats the tought process behind doing TNS on the road back? 

Thanks man. I'm doing TNS right now because it naturally forces me to use lower grippers. I'm trying to be patient and gradually ramp up. Its hard to hold back but the doctor told me to go slow. Also, The gripmas competition moved less than an hr from me and the first event this year is TNS grippers so if I'm feeling good I may show up and just do the first event. 

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1

Quick and easy workout tonight. Monday's are now my light night. Light legs or back (rotating) with calves and abs:

Machine Leg Press Single Leg Calf Extensions

1 Warm up set each leg

120 lbs - 4 sets of 30x

Hyperextensions

Bodyweight - 4 sets of 15x. Easy stuff tonight. Heavy deadlifts coming up Saturday so I am taking it very easy on the low back

Lat Pulldowns

130 lbs - 4 sets of 10x. easy weight. no wrist wrap hooks. Slowly ramping up putting more and more stress on the hands

Close Grip Cable Rows

130 lbs - 4 sets of 10x. Again easy weight with no wrist wrap hooks and slowly increasing the weight for the hand to adapt post injury.

Ab Machine Weighted Crunches 

125 lbs - 4 sets of 25x. I really need to strengthen my core

Left Hand TNS Grippers

Multiple Warm up sets

COC #1 - 5 sets of 5x TNS

COC #.5 - 3 sets of 10x TNS

COC Trainer - 3 set of 10x TNS

- This was my first time hitting grippers left hand since the injury. I actually tore a pulley on my left hand that night as well but didn't have surgery on the left hand. It was a traditional tear left hand so we are going the conservative route left hand and letting it heal. Because of this, I am going slower left hand. just starting with a base and pumping blood into the hand. At my peak, I could close most 3.5s lefty MMS. I plan on coming back just as strong lefty as well.  

Note - Tomorrow is rest night and I hit Chest and Arms Wednesday.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Another great Gym session. Might as well call me butter because I am on a roll. I feel more and more like my old self every day.

Flat Barbell Bench Press - Cycle 1, week 2

4 warm up sets

260 lbs - 3x

260 lbs - 4x

260 lbs - 4x

260 lbs - 3x

290 lbs - 1x

200 lbs - 18x

185 lbs - 5x

205 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x. That last flat bench set of as many as possible really fries my triceps for the later exercises. 

Smith Machine Floor Bench Press

295 lbs - 2x with pause at bottom

275 lbs - 4x with pause at bottom

Machine Pec Deck Flys with pausing every rep with handles touching

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

250 lbs (Stack) - 8x. Those last 2 with the pause are brutal at this point

Machine Single Arm Curls

155 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm. PR on this machine. I am moving to the whole (1 more plate) next week.

Machine Single Tricep Extensions

140 lbs - 4 sets of 8x each arm. Moved up a plate in weight. Felt great. Tough but great. 

Note - Heavy deadlifts and thick bar Saturday. Bring it on!

• Like 4