Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

What a great workout! What's the point if you're not having fun, and it sounds like it was fun! Make sure you're drinking a protein and sugar (dextrose/maltodextrin) drink right after for maximizing your efforts!

drinks and PRs baby! cheers!

Dang, you snuck right under my post! Sneaky sneaky

:shuriken:

Actually I really liked wine post workout, especially when I knew I was going to be sore. It seemed to help not be so sore the next day. During a workout it may be a beer. It really helps in bending. :grin:

How are you liking the singles doubbles tripples workout?

Liking it a lot rich. Me and the vulcan have a love/hate relationship but I realized how much better my set and sweep was when I was using it.

So i tried training grip yesterday when I got back from school but man was I sore. Been beating myself up in grip training and the weight room lately. After a few fat gripz deadlifts and gripper closes I knew it wasn't going to be a good workout and I needed the night off. I helped my girl watch her cousins baby in the city today but brought several grippers in my bag. Here is today's TSG workout:

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

BBGM = 1 rep

Working

COC #3 = 4 reps

MM1 replica = paused set, close and held for an over crush.

RB 330N = paused set, close and held for an over crush. I need a harder gripper for singles. My next hardest ones are the COC 3.5 and MM3 though and I'm not there yet.

MM1 replica = 2 reps

RB 330N = 1 rep and hold

MM1 replica = 1 rep and hold

RB 330N = 1 very wide rep

MM1 replica = 1 very wide rep

Higher reps

BBGM = 5 reps

COC #2.5 = 8 reps

RB 240 = 5 reps

COC #2.5 = 6 reps

COC #2.5 = 3 reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

Working

BBGM = 1 rep

RB 240 = 1 rep

COC #2.5 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep and hold

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

Higher reps

COC #2 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 7 reps

COC #2 = 7 reps

COC #2 = 8 reps

Still, strong work! singles with your MM1 replica and holds, good stuff. Btw don't you have a MM2 replica? Would be the logical step up?

(when you don't want to use your Vulcan but a TSG)

Thanks man. My MM1 felt really easy last night. Handles clicked at the close and the holds felt solid. The best part is my girl's cousin came over later and tried my grippers. He use to workout a lot and couldn't close the COC #1. I closed the MM1 in front of him with ease even though my hands were fatigued from the workout. I definately need a gap gripper. The MM replicas are so expensive though. Maybe an RB 300. They are half as much.

Thanks man. My MM1 felt really easy last night. Handles clicked at the close and the holds felt solid. The best part is my girl's cousin came over later and tried my grippers. He use to workout a lot and couldn't close the COC #1. I closed the MM1 in front of him with ease even though my hands were fatigued from the workout. I definately need a gap gripper. The MM replicas are so expensive though. Maybe an RB 300. They are half as much.

Yeah, I know, I bought mine second hand from Mike Corlett (Hubgeezer on this board). Cool with that COC#1 huh. I also have one buddy who can close it, but barely!, no one else I have ever handed it could close it heh heh

Don't know if the RB's vary a lot. I think there really could be a future in selling RGC measured grippers....Bill Malcom (WAM) also wrote this once. I am curious

how the MM replica's compare. I cannot close my MM2 anytime, it is I think my 100% gripper right now. But I am also not consistent with my #3, I believe

it's a rock hard one. But maybe I am just not strong enough. But seeing the variance in COC grippers, lightest in the 61 kg's and heaviest in the 78 kg's,

I would say that make quite a difference when CCS those things.

Edited by Geralt

Ya, the variance is a pain in the butt. I bought the RB 330N from a board member going by average RGC on the gripper superstore site but it feels similar in strength to my MM1 replica. I was hoping it would harder. Geralt have you seen this site http://www.pythongrip.com/index.php/grippers.html. This company sells RGC grippers but its a little expensive. It might be cheaper for you since I think the company is based in Europe. If I can't get my COC #3.5 soon I might buy a gripper from them. Mighty Joe wrote a review about these grippers. Trying to save money right now buy using long holds on my gripper closes to make the singles harder with the MM1 and RB 330N.

Yes, I know the site, also via Mighty Joe's website. But thanks for the tip anyway. Yeah, I think they look very cool and the price is what I would expect to pay.

They are more expensive then when I would by a particulair gripper from for instance GSS, but the plusside would be that I could have a calibrated gripper, which I wouldn't have otherwise from any other company. Grippers aren't sold in Netherland, except from one company but here an IM gripper costs me 34 Euro's and the same IM gripper from the States costs me 25 Euro's including shippingcosts! Crazy huh, Euro compared to Dollar is very expensive.

I think this is where the Vulcan pays off. The range is great on this grippers, from easy to almost impossible. And if I don't want to work on the sweep, I can choke mine easily.

If you want you can drill multiple holes in your Vulcan and choke it that way in every handle width you want!

I love grippers, but I rather save my money now and use my adjustable gripper. I think carryover is definitely there, the way how you train with it is what makes the difference.

Made a lot of progress recently with it and still I keep finding myself in expecting to max out sometimes two days in a row. That's the addiction. I know that if I stick to the plan

I wrote in my log, eventually the CCS will fall. Stuck now on level 15 to 16, that is a big gap. Microloading is the key here.

So in short, when I would have enough money, I'd cover a wall with grippers. But since I don't have that, I force myself to train with what I have...

Ya, the variance is a pain in the butt. I bought the RB 330N from a board member going by average RGC on the gripper superstore site but it feels similar in strength to my MM1 replica. I was hoping it would harder. Geralt have you seen this site http://www.pythongri...p/grippers.html. This company sells RGC grippers but its a little expensive. It might be cheaper for you since I think the company is based in Europe. If I can't get my COC #3.5 soon I might buy a gripper from them. Mighty Joe wrote a review about these grippers. Trying to save money right now buy using long holds on my gripper closes to make the singles harder with the MM1 and RB 330N.

About the 3.5, what exactly are you searching for? Like a hard one? Just wondering why you may not get one "soon" as they can be bough easy.

THe Pythons look cool but some of the prices are coocoo. The one for 126 Euros WOW that would be like $200. I wonder what is up with that one.

Ya, the variance is a pain in the butt. I bought the RB 330N from a board member going by average RGC on the gripper superstore site but it feels similar in strength to my MM1 replica. I was hoping it would harder. Geralt have you seen this site http://www.pythongri...p/grippers.html. This company sells RGC grippers but its a little expensive. It might be cheaper for you since I think the company is based in Europe. If I can't get my COC #3.5 soon I might buy a gripper from them. Mighty Joe wrote a review about these grippers. Trying to save money right now buy using long holds on my gripper closes to make the singles harder with the MM1 and RB 330N.

About the 3.5, what exactly are you searching for? Like a hard one? Just wondering why you may not get one "soon" as they can be bough easy.

THe Pythons look cool but some of the prices are coocoo. The one for 126 Euros WOW that would be like $200. I wonder what is up with that one.

I don't think I worded that well. Sorry Rich. I actually own a #3.5 and MM3 replica but I can't close them yet. My MM1 replica and RB 330N are the hardest grippers that own that I can close but they are too easy for singles and I don't like doing reps with heavy grippers because it tears up my hands and I don't think I progress as fast as with singles. Plus singles are better practice for certs and contests. I really want a gripper to bridge the gap between the MM1/RB 330N and #3.5/MM3 but since grippers vary its really hard to get one in that range. I want a gripper that I gotta struggle to get like 1 or 2 singles a workout. I think one gripper in that perfect range would bridge the gap in my collection perfectly.

• Like 1

Awesome pinch workout today. I got 2 new smooth 25 pound plates for Christmas that I used tonight for my make shift 2HP Euro and they are great. Thinner so they are closer to the width I would use on a Euro in competition and nice smooth round edges so I didn't tear my thumb webbing. I have actually been staying away from 2HP because of thumb webbing tears but these new plates will allow me to increase the frequency that I train 2HP.

2HP on home made Euro using smooth plates as pinch surface. (weight listed doesn't include bar and collars).

Warm up

50 lbs = 5 reps

Working

Singles:

100 lbs = Good lift

115 lbs = Good lift

120 lbs = Good lift

125 lbs = Good lift

130 lbs = Good lift

135 lbs = Good lift

140 lbs = Good lift

142.5 lbs = Good lift

143.75 lbs = Good lift

145 lbs = little bit of air but no lift.

1HP on Vulcan V2 thumbscrews

Right Hand

2 Red IM bands on top notch = 2 sets of 10 reps

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notch = 4 sets of 10 reps

2 Red IM bands on top notch = 4 sets of 10 reps

Left hand

2 Red IM bands on top notch = 2 sets of 10 reps

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notch = 2 sets of 10 reps

2 Red and 1 green IM band on top notch = 4 sets of 10 reps

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top notch = 2 sets of 10 reps

Note - Thumbs are going to be sore tomorrow but I need to get my pinch up. Drink of choice for this workout was vodka and diet ginger ale :).

I don't think I worded that well. Sorry Rich. I actually own a #3.5 and MM3 replica but I can't close them yet. My MM1 replica and RB 330N are the hardest grippers that own that I can close but they are too easy for singles and I don't like doing reps with heavy grippers because it tears up my hands and I don't think I progress as fast as with singles. Plus singles are better practice for certs and contests. I really want a gripper to bridge the gap between the MM1/RB 330N and #3.5/MM3 but since grippers vary its really hard to get one in that range. I want a gripper that I gotta struggle to get like 1 or 2 singles a workout. I think one gripper in that perfect range would bridge the gap in my collection perfectly.

That is a tight gap you are trying to fill. The only thing I can think of is my quad band. One thing you may try is to move your fingers higher on your MM1. I have been doing that with my KTA for my left hand OCs. I have a filed 1.5 for the left but it is a bit easy. If I get my fingers on the top it is a bit better/ harder. I would suggest filing but that would be really bad to file a MM1.

I like that idea Rich. I'm going to give it a shot next TSG workout. I was thinking about trying to file my GNC 300. If that was still too easy, I was think of picking up another cheapo gripper like the Ronnie Coleman grips you just wrote a review for. Maybe a Ronnie Coleman 300 and then file it. Maybe an HG gripper filed. I like the idea of filing those over my $50 MM replicas. So many ideas haha. I'll have to experiment and see what works.

The HGs vary so much I dont think they are worth a shot. You would have to buy 700 of them to get one you like in that small range. If moving your fingers up dosent cut it then damn your strong... just close your 3.5 then! Kidding. I think buying a MM2 is better than wasting money on HGs

Been doing a lot of thumb lately so my thumbs have been very sore. I decided to do some Vulcan V2 Crush training that way my thumbs can take a break. My left hand was really strong tonight. I hit a new PR lefty on the Vulcan closing level 15. In fact, my left hand hung with my right hand the entire workout.

Vulcan V2 Crush

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 6 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = G. getting very consistent with level 15.

L 15 + IM white band on 7th notch = F, so freaking close

L 15 + IM white band on 6th notch = F, very close

L 15 = G, wide set

Doubles

L 9 = G

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

Triples

L 9 = G

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

Left Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 6 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 8 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12= G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = G. Brand new PR lefty! convincing close to.

L 15 + IM white band on 3rd notch = very close

Doubles

L 8 = G

L 9 = G

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

Triples

L 9 = G

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = F

Note = Going to do thick bar next workout. I'm think of giving my lower back some rest and doing farmers walks with fat gripz on my loadable dumbbells. I have never done them before so it should be a nice change. Good thing I have a heated garage with a concrete floor.

Fat bar work tonight. My intersession class is so freaking long and boring. I think about grip training all day long.

DO deadlifts on ghetto axle (1 7/8 OD PVC pipe slipped over bar)

Warm Up

114 lbs = 5 reps

164 lbs = 5 reps

Working

220 lbs = 3 reps

240 lbs = 1 rep

260 lbs = 1 rep

280 lbs = 1 rep

295 lbs = 1 rep

310 lbs = 1/2 way up. dammit

300 lbs = air but no lift. little frustrating. probably should have tried 300 before 310. next time

DB weight holds with fat gripz on handles

1) 100 lbs in each hand = held for as long as possible

2) 105 lbs in each hand = held for as long as possible

3) 105 lbs in each hand = held for as long as possible

Levering forwards and backwards with fat gripz

12.5 lbs = 15 reps for 3 sets both right and left

Supination/pronation with fat gripz

7.5 lbs = 10 reps for 3 sets both right and left

Note - pinch workout next time.

Thank god my intersession class ended today. earned 2 credits in 6 days but man that was painful. Everyone was on their laptops surfing the net and 1 kid had headphones on the entire time. useless class. I was going to train pinch today my thumbs are still sore so I did another crush workout.

Vulcan V2 crush

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 6 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L11 - L15 = All easy closes

L 15 + white IM band on 6th notch = G. inching my way towards L 16

L 15 = G.

Doubles

L9 - L14 = All good

L 15 = F, got the first rep and barely missed the second. 4 L15 closes in the same workout. not too shabby.

Triples

L 9 - L13 = All good

Left Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 6 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

Singles

L 11 - L 15 = All good

L 15 + white IM band on 1st notch = G

L 15 + white IM band on 2nd notch = G. This was really close but I think I got it

Doubles

L 9 - L 14 = All good

Triples

L 9 - L 13 = All good

Note: pinch training has really helped my set on the Vulcan. Give me some time and I getting that level 16.

Going to school to work on a project for the afternoon so I decided to do my pinch work early. Really happy because I hit some PRs on block weights. I wanted to train for competition medleys so I picked 3 events: blocks weights, 1 HP plates and shallow hub.

General Pinch Warm Up - 1 HP on Vulcan V2 thumbscrews

2 red IM bands on top notches = 2 sets of 10 reps on both right and left hand.

Loadable Blob

Started by doing 5 face lifts with both my right and left hand on the blob unloaded

26.5 lbs = good lift both right and left

31.5 lbs = good lift both right and left

34.5 lbs = good lift both right and left

39 lbs = good lift both right and left. New PR!

40.25 lbs = Good lift Left. Brand New PR! 1/2 way up with the right.

42.5 Hex weight (44.4 pounds actual weight)

Got it with both my Right and Left hand. First time doing this! I'm going to get a video next time. Going after the 50 lb hexs that my friend John on the board sent me. I'm going to get them soon John. Thanks again for sending them.

1 Hand 2 Plate pinch

2 25's = Good right and left

2 25's + 2.5 lbs + DB bar = Good right and left

2 25's + 3.75 lbs + DB bar = Good right and left

2 25's + 5 lbs + DB bar = Good right and left

2 25's + 7.5lbs + DB bar = Good right and left

2 25's + 8.75lbs + DB bar = Good right and left

2 25's + 10 lbs + DB bar = Good left and 1/2 way up right

Shallow hub (my home made version - see below for picture)

1) 21.25 lbs = Good right and left

2) 31.25 lbs = Good right and left

3) 33.75 lbs = Good right and left

4) 35 lbs = Good right and left

1 HP vulcan thumbscrews

2 red IM bands on top = 3 sets of 10 reps on both hands.

Here is the setup I use to train hub lifts:

Ghetto Hub

Here is my cheap setup I use to train axle:

Ghetto Axle

Great job on the blob and the hex block! I'm jealous....I think I might have to buy myself a loadable blob too because trying to lift my 50lb blob is just discouraging at this point...lol...

Great progress Chez. PRs are flowin'.

Great job on the blob and the hex block! I'm jealous....I think I might have to buy myself a loadable blob too because trying to lift my 50lb blob is just discouraging at this point...lol...

I got the best progress on blobs I can't lift by just doing max effort ISOs on the blob, without trying to lift it. Just squeeze and hold for 6ish seconds for a few sets. When you can get to the point of lifting it on edge, do drags. Maximize time under tension, train the CNS to fire 100% on the pinch. When the pinch is strong enough the blob will come up on its own.

Thanks fellas. I still owe you some beers John. I didn't forget. Thanks for the tip Daniel. You're a blob guru so I'm definitely going to try that training method with my 50lb hexs next workout.

Great progress Chez. PRs are flowin'.

I got the best progress on blobs I can't lift by just doing max effort ISOs on the blob, without trying to lift it. Just squeeze and hold for 6ish seconds for a few sets. When you can get to the point of lifting it on edge, do drags. Maximize time under tension, train the CNS to fire 100% on the pinch. When the pinch is strong enough the blob will come up on its own.

Awesome advice....thank you Daniel! I'm going to start working on that next workout!

Thanks fellas. I still owe you some beers John. I didn't forget. Thanks for the tip Daniel. You're a blob guru so I'm definitely going to try that training method with my 50lb hexs next workout.

Looking forward to it....and I stole your idea about having a drink while I train grip....last workout was an ice cold Magic Hat :)

Hey Chez, not to kill the fun of drinking while lifting, but from a biochemistry standpoint, you are almost making your workouts go into reverse because your body doesn't focus on the lifting anymore. You're neurotransmitter routes get altered, which can mess with muscle memory, even with just one drink. Glutamate goes way out of wack, and the body goes into a very different form of digestion to remove alcohol(which is a toxin actually) from the body.

Just some food for thought.

Hey Chez, not to kill the fun of drinking while lifting, but from a biochemistry standpoint, you are almost making your workouts go into reverse because your body doesn't focus on the lifting anymore. You're neurotransmitter routes get altered, which can mess with muscle memory, even with just one drink. Glutamate goes way out of wack, and the body goes into a very different form of digestion to remove alcohol(which is a toxin actually) from the body.

Just some food for thought.

Getting all intellectual on me Sean. haha. Good point buddy. I'm a CPA in law school so sometimes I like a little sip of the happy sauce to get my mind off the stress. Whats your major Sean?