Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Quick update. The gyms in NY are still closed but they are open in CT and my gym has a location there so I just started going. Only a 20 min drive. 

Wrist is still getting better week by week. Last bench workout was at this gym and I hit a double with 285 fourth working set. I definitely had another rep but decided to save it. Spotter said I def had it also but I am taking the wrist rehab slow. I hit a triple with 260 incline third working set. So happy that I’m progressing. Still lots of work to get back to where I was. 

Hit pinch and grippers and the only thing worth noting was hit 3 singles at 68 lbs on my 4 inch pinch block. Hoping to get Tim’s fatman blob at our next training session 8/8. For grippers, I am ramping back up since the wrist derailed me.

last nights workout at this gym went well:

Seated Close Grip Cable Rows

170 - 10x

190 - 10x

210 - 10x

230 - 10x

lat Pull Downs 

170 - 8x

190 - 8x

210 - 8x

230 - 6x

Squats 

3 warm ups 

225 - 3x

255 - 3x

285 - 3x

315 - 5x. Felt good more in the tank but that is good enough. 

275 - 5x

my buddy is 5’6 and he cant adjust his rack setup so it was nice being able to get in proper position for change instead of folding myself in half. Squatting a mask made it tough breathing top sets 

lying hamstring curls 

110 lbs - 10

90 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

- strange machine. Gotta get use to it. 

Tonight I hit biceps and calf raises in the fitness room

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Great session tonight:

started with bench at the gym and then incline and floor press at my buddy’s:

Bench Press

3 warm ups 

225 - 3x

255 - 2x

275 - 2x

295 - 2x. Most since the wrist got bad and I had at least 1 more rep in the tank

225 - 10x. Just for some volume

Incline Bench 

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

260 lbs - 2x. Buddy plates weigh heavy and his set up is hard so this is harder than at the gym

Floor Press all reps paused

225 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 2x 

290 lbs - 1x

• Like 2

Great shoulder and tricep session at the gym so I had heavy Dumbbells and didn’t need to stack two.

Seated One Arm Dumbbell Shoulder Press

3 warm ups 

75 lb DB - 3x each side

85 lb DB - 3x each side 

95 lb DB - 3x each side 

105 lb DB - 5x right side/100 DB - 3x left

90 lb DB - 10x right, 9 left 

note - forgot my wrist wraps at home so I was being extra cautious with the left and the bad wrist. At least I had athletic tape 

Seated One Arm Machine Triceps Extensions 

110 lbs - 4 sets of 12x each arm 

Machine Rear Laterals 

135 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

165 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

Machine Crunches 

120 lbs - 20x

150 lbs - 2 sets of 20x

Seated DB Laterals 

25 lb DBS - 3 sets of 10x

• Like 1

went straight from the gym to my friends house for sled pulls/drags. 

Sled Pulls/drags - 3 different ways

Forwards with arms back 

255 lbs - 35 feet down and back

280 lbs - 35 feet down and back

Forwards attach to weight belt

Backward arms forward

Here is a video of the 280 lbs each style for first half of the course. Going to move up to 300+ next week

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Those sled drags are tough training!

Ya. Loving it. We switched from farmers walks and I love both. Great dynamic training 

• Like 1

Not going to lie. I was pretty exhausted today but I dragged myself to the gym and it turned into a good session

Deadlifts 

4 warm ups 

315 lbs - 2x

350 lbs - 2x

385 lbs - 2x

425 lbs - 2x

315 lbs - 8x

note: really tough in a mask which makes it hard to breathe

Close Grip Cable Rows

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

Lat Pull Downs

170 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

Leg Extensions

140 lbs - 10x

155 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

Lying Hamstring Extensions 

90 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. Tough machine  

• Like 1

So now that I am back at a gym (a ct one cause NY is still closed) I’m thinking about some goals to shoot for by year. I’ll start with lifting goals

Deadlift - 500 lbs 

Squat - 405 lbs 

- I have had a lot of foot/ankle and knee issues over the years so my lower body has always been behind. I have horrible foot and and ankle genetics and it’s caused lots of injures. I think I am finally past them so it’s time to bring it up.

Bench Press - 335 lbs 

Standing Overhead Barbell Press - 255 lbs

- battling a left wrist issue at the moment which is interfering with my pressing but it’s getting better week by week. I will need to keep aggressive with the rehab. 

Next is grip. Grip also got side tracked during this pandemic with gyms closed. I did my best to just maintain. The left wrist has caused me to stop all left hand work to let it heal. It’s also interferes with right hand grippers cause it’s hard to set another over 180 with the bad wrist. Got another training session coming up at Tim Butlers place on 8/8 so let’s just start with goals for that:

1) lift Tim’s fatman blob at 54.5 lbs. I got it just past the knees after a long day of grip so I was fatigued so I will attacked it fresh this time 

2) lift Tim’s 152 inch DB. I am close to where I was pre surgery on thickbar so I have a shot but again need to attack it early in the session. I would like to make a run at the full inch but I know that will take time so it will be a next year goal 

i will be able to come up with longer term grip goals once this wrist is fully healed 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Tried training crusher last night but my CNS was just fried. I called it. I tried really hard this weekend and my body was telling me it needed more rest. I got air with 157.5 lbs on my super slick crusher with no chalk which is pretty close to the most I have done on it. After that though everything felt heavy so I decided to rest it. I did my typical sledge levering forwards and back and supination/pronation. Then did single leg standing calf raises.

Tonight was a great chest session

Bench press (at the gym)

3 warm ups 

225 lbs - 2x

250 lbs - 2x

275 lbs - 2x

300 lbs - 2x. Felt easy. Should have went 305 but I’ll save it for next week

245 lbs - 9x. Could have gotten the 10th if I really went for it

Machine Single Arm Bicep Curls (gym)

155 lbs - 10x each arm

170 lbs (whole stack not counting fractional plates) - 3 sets of 10x each arm

Incline Bench Press (friends place)

1 warm up

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 2x

265 lbs - 2x. Smoked that. Buddy said I had another and I totally did but I’ll just move up in weight next week

Barbell Floor Press (Friends Place)

225 lbs - 3x

260 lbs - 2x

295 lbs - 1x. Killed it. Buddy told me to do a double but I’ll save it again. Rather be cautious and improve slowly 

260 lbs - 1x. Was going to do more reps but something didn’t feel right. I actually thought we misloaded but I think my position was just off so I called it. 

Very happy with the progress. Press power is coming back as the wrist improves. Now to ice and rehab the wrist cause it’s working well

• Like 1

Morning training

Seated one Arm Dumbbell Press:

3 warm ups 

75 lbs - 3x each arm

85 lbs - 3x each arm

95 lbs - 3x each arm

110 lbs - 3x right/105 lbs - 3x left

95 lbs - 7x Right, 5x left

- Press strength is on the way up and that will help the bench 

Pec Deck Machine Flys

180 lbs - 12x

195 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 8x

Flask 1 HP

76 lbs - 2 singles 

78.5 lbs - single 

68.5 lbs - 3 doubles 

58.5 lbs - 3 triples 

58.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds

4” pinch block 1 HP

70.5 lbs - 3 singles 

60.5 lbs - 3 doubles 

53 lbs - 3 triples 

53 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds

- humidity was bad for pinch and I was sweating through my chalk making it harder 

Forwards with arms back 

255 lbs - 35 feet down and back

305 lbs - 35 feet down and back

305 lbs - 35 feet down and back

Backward arms forward

305 lbs - 35 feet down and back

- still moving fast so another 20 lbs next week

• Like 1

Really great gym session today. My wrist is feeling so much better. I have had trouble closing 180+ because the wrist has been so bad I couldn’t set grippers that hard but today I blew past it. Squats felt great also so my legs are finally making progress.

Squats

3 warm ups

225 lbs - 3x

260 lbs - 3x

295 lbs - 3x

335 lbs - 3x. Felt very comfortable 

275 lbs - 8x. Felt easy

Right Hand MMS Grippers

several warm ups pyramiding up

180 coc 3.5 - single. Super easy. Was planning to keep the singles here today but my wrist feels great so moving up.

186 mm3 - 2 singles. Happy with that

176 mm3 - 2 sets of doubles 

174 RB 280 - double

174 RB 280 - triple 

172 coc 3.5 - 2 triples

Right hand filed RBA Negatives 

6-6 - 10 second hold

6-7 - 10 sec hold

7-7 - 10 sec hold 

7-8 - 10 sec hold

Lying Hamstring Curls

90 lbs - 4 sets of 10x. Hard machine 

Leg Press Calf Raises 

1 warm up

270 lbs in plates - 2 sets of 20x

320 lbs in plates - 2 sets of 20x

Close grip cable rows 

170 - 10x

190 - 10x

210 - 10x

230 - 10x

Lat Pull Downs 

150 - 10x

170 - 10x

190 - 10x

210 - 10x

Time to ice the wrist and continue with the rehab.

• Like 5

Forgot I also did Single arm machine triceps extensions

1 warm up

125 lbs - 4 sets of 10 each arm 

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Strong workout sir!

Thanks mike. Feels great now that I’m back at the gym. Feel like I’m getting back in the groove. Just need to stay smart and injury free 

Edited by Chez

Great chest and biceps session tonight. Not perfect but I’ll take it. Lost power due to the storm yesterday so I had to go into the office and didn’t get there until 10:30 cause I was waiting for permission to make sure a computer was even available because everyone is working from home. I planned to leave straight from work but left my wrist wraps at home again (argh!) so I had to drive back home then the to the gym so I didn’t get there until late and lifted till close.

Bench Press 

3 warm ups 

225 lbs - 2x

250 lbs - 2x

275 lbs - 2x

305 lbs - 2x but on the second the spotter had to lightly put his finger tips on the bar. Argh. I knew I felt tired on the previous sets cause the weight wasnt popping off my chest like it has been. Also I set up to close to the pins and that thew me off. Oh well I’ll repeat the weight next week and try and get the double clean.

255 lbs - 8x. Back off set for volume 

Incline Bench

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 2x. Got a bad lift off from a young spotter. He was aggressive with the help and threw it too far forward on me and dumped it on me and I had to reign it in.

225 lbs - 7x. Back off set for volume

Incline Hammer strength Press

270 lbs in plates - 3 sets of 8x, 5x and 5x. Just wanted more volume 

Pec Deck Flys

180 lbs - 10x

195 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 8x

Single Arm Machine Bicep Curls 

2 warm ups

180 lbs (max weight) - 4 sets of 8x each arm. I’ll try and up the reps next week

• Like 2

Great shoulder and tricep session today. I moved the workout forward one day so lest rest from my bench session cause I’m going to a grip training session at Tim butlers place tomorrow but still felt strong

Seated 1 Arm DB Shoulder Press

3 warm ups 

80 lbs.- 2x each arm 

90 lbs - 2x each arm 

100 lbs - 2x each arm 

115 lbs Right arm - 2x. Nice!/105 lbs Left - 1x, 2x. There is definitely a sweet spot to hold the DB left with the bad wrist and I didn’t hit it first time so I reset and got a double after the single

95 lbs - 9x right and 5x left

note - huge improvement right and similar to last week left but less rest time from bench. Less rest obviously effecting the bad left wrist more. Gym only has up to 120 lb DBs

Seated DB Laterals 

20 lb DBs - 10x

25 lb DBs - 10x

30 lb DBs - 10x

Machine Rear Laterals 

135 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Single Arm Machine Triceps Extensions 

1 warm up

140 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm 

Note - strength definitely on the raise. Got some goals for tomorrow’s grip session and i plan on taking video. Let’s go!

• Like 2

Great training weekend. 

Saturday 8/8/20

Went to Tim Butlers for a training session. Messed around with Pinch, thick bar, grippers and sledges but the only thing which was really on was thick bar which is great because today is my scheduled thick bar day anyway. The highlights were hitting a huge PR on my super slick and unseasoned 2.5" Crusher at 164 lbs. That is an all time PR on my handle and not just post surgery so I am stoked. I might have had a little more in me but next up I went for Tim's 152lb Inch Shalaney Dumbbell with a 2.5” thick handle (little thicker than the real inch) and got it which is awesome cause its the heaviest inch style dumbbell I have ever lifted. Videos below. 

Today 8/9/20

Got to the gym late. Only had an hr until close so I had to move fast. Got home at almost midnight last night so I got a slow start to the day. 

Deadlifts

4 warm ups

315 lbs - 2x

355 lbs - 2x

395 lbs - 2x

435 lbs - 2x. nice. Best deadlifts session in a while. Making progress towards that 500 lb goal for year end. 

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

225 lbs - 10x. Just wanted some volume and something less taxing

Lat Pulldowns

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

Close Grip Cable Rows

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Great lifts!  

Thanks mike!

• 2 weeks later...

Argh. Been training but got lazy with logging so here’s a quick recap of the week I missed:

bench press and shoulder press: press strength is back to respectable numbers as the wrist just feel better and better. I started my old bench press program since it’s back up around 315. I had my strongest shoulder press session since the pandemic started today which I will post next. But soon will start a program for that also once install. 

Squats and Deadlift: these keep going up. Last workouts my max set for squat was 345x3 and a backoff of 275x10 no problem. For deads I hit a top set of 435x2 so I am happy I am making progress on the lower body. 

grip- I killed gripper last session maxing at my 190 MM5 for 2 singles no problem so the crush is coming back fast now that the wrist is getting better. I also killed pinch hitting 88.5 on my slick flask dominating it and got a partial with 91 and hit 73 lbs on my 4 inch block for 3 singles. 

• Like 2

Morning session today:

Just had my strongest shoulder press session since the pandemic started

Seated 1 Arm DB Press

3 warm ups

75 lbs - 2x each arm

85 lbs - 2x each arm 

95 lbs - 2x each arm 

105 lbs - 2x right, 3x left 

115 lbs - 2x right

95 lbs - 10x right, 8x left 

- left wrist feels great today

Pec Deck Fly Machine 

180 lbs - 10x

195 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 10x

225 lbs - 10x

1 Arm Machine Bicep Curls 

2 warm ups

180 lbs (Max) - 4 sets of 8 each arm 

1 Arm Machine Triceps Extensions 

1 high rep warm up 

125 lbs - 4 sets of 8 each arm 

Straight back from the gym to sled work this afternoon:

Forwards with arms back 

285 lbs - 35 feet down and back

360 lbs - 35 feet down and back

360 lbs - 35 feet down and back

Backward arms forward

360 lbs - 35 feet down and back

- I have 400 in me 

92F6C0FF-7E5C-4281-AC8C-1A98D104C81B.jpeg

• Like 1

Deadlifts tomorrow......can’t wait! Let’s go!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Great deadlift session today

Deadlifts

4 warm ups

315 lbs - 2x

355 lbs - 2x

395 lbs - 2x

445 lbs - 2x. Felt good. More in the tank

Stiff Leg Deadlifts 

275 lbs - 10x

Leg Extensions

155 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

185 lbs - 10x

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises 

1 warm up

200 lbs - 20x. Tough machine 

180 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Lat pull downs

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

Close Grip Cable Rows

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Late logging so quick recap of week highlights:

Bench - restarted the program I was following before covid and did my second workout. Like all workouts it starts light so nothing major to report 

Standing Barbell shoulder press - first time trying this since the gyms closed. I messed around and found my current max is 225. I actually got over confident and tried 245 and 235 first and failed so maybe I have 230 in me with the correct jumps but I’ll leave it at 225 and started the same program I’m doing for bench for standing press. 

Grip - had a another strong flask and 4 inch block session. Hit 88.5 lbs on my slick flask and got air with 91. I know the 91 will happen soon. Got 75.5 with the 4 inch block which is a post surgery pr: for thick bar I reset the cycle with the crusher so light sets of 5 and brought out the original wrist wrench and hit 85 on it. Need to get to over 100 if I ever want the inch 

Edited by Chez