Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Damn that set was way off :whacked you'll close that one easily with a proper set 💪

Thanks buddy. Set has always been a weakness for me and ghps have the toughest set and sweeps. It will fall though. Thinking about doing extra negatives today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Thanks buddy. Set has always been a weakness for me and ghps have the toughest set and sweeps. It will fall though. Thinking about doing extra negatives today.

I gotta pick up a harder GHP to work on setting. A buddy of mine has a 170 GHP8 for me when I get up to that level. Still having plenty of fun trying to set my 165 RB330N for now though. 😅

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I gotta pick up a harder GHP to work on setting. A buddy of mine has a 170 GHP8 for me when I get up to that level. Still having plenty of fun trying to set my 165 RB330N for now though. 😅

Ya. Setting is tough. It takes both upper body strength and efficient technique. If I don’t practice it constantly, my set gets weak and my technique gets funky 

• Like 1

Time to start logging again guys with tonight's workout since I have my new setup figured out with the gym closed. I am currently training in my friends garage gym so I switched back to my previous routine even though I was still making great gains on the other one. Reason being is the other one was very long and I didn't want to take advantage of my friend's generosity but staying at his house for hrs and killing his time. This is only the 3rd workout of this routine so its still light and ramping up. 

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

255 lbs - 4 sets of 4x

285 lbs - Single. Super easy

200 lbs - 17x. AMRAP. I am not use to these high rep sets now so it will take time to adjust again

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x

240 lbs - 3x. Easy

- Still getting use to this incline setup. different then the gym setup. 

Barbell Floor Press (real weight, not smith machine since he has a real power cage) - every rep paused

245 lbs - 3x

265 lbs - 2x

285 lbs - 1x. easy

245 lbs - 5x

Straight Bar Triceps Pushdowns on Plate Loaded Cable Machine

100 lbs in plates - 4 sets of 10x. easy. 

- Skipped Biceps since I hit Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls in the community Fitness Room Monday night. 

- Time to get back in the groove again. Apocalypse training. Onwards!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

dam. behind in the log again. I am in a funk lately and struggling to keep up with logging. still training my ass off despite this plague though. I have to get back on track logging. Part of me wants to log my last 3 workouts but lets just start fresh and get consistent again with tomorrow's workout. I am thinking about trying my 200 lb rated ronnie coleman gripper Sunday to see what it feels like. Even though its a lb heavier than the GHP 9 it may be easier cause GHPs always feel harder due to the tough set and sweep. 

• Like 3

Time to log last night’s workout so I can get on track with logging in general:

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm ups 

255 lbs - 4x

255 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 4x

290 lbs - 1x. Easy 

205 lbs - 16x AMRAP

185 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x 

245 lbs - 3x. Easy 

Barbell Floor Press (each rep paused)

245 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 2x

290 lbs - 1x

245 lbs - 5x

Straight Bar Triceps Pushdowns 

100 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Plan is to train twice today. Here is the first session:

Farmers Walks

120 lbs each hand - down and back across my friends background. Its probably like 40 feet each way

170 lbs each hand - down and back across my friends background. Its probably like 40 feet each way

Note - me and my friend are ramping up week by week. More weight next week. I used my wrist wrap hooks to save my grip because I plan to hit grippers tomorrow. I don't use them on off weeks from grippers

1 Hand Flask Pinch

several warm ups

81 lbs - 3 singles each hand. Very solid singles. I plan to bump this up a little next time. 

71 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

61 lbs - 3 triples each hand

61 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds each hand

1 Hand 4" Block Pinch

Warm ups

55.5 lbs - 3 singles each hand

50.5 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

45.5 lbs - 3 triples each hand

45.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds each hand

- Later I plan to hit shoulders and triceps in the fitness room in my building for the late night session.  

• Like 1

Second Session of the day:

Standing 1 Arm Overhead Band Press

2 Orange Bands (Heaviest they sell) - 5 sets of 5x each arm. 

Seated Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Press

50 lb DBs - 5 sets of 12x

Dumbbell Skull Crushers 

40 lb DBs - 4 sets of 10x

Seated Dumbbell Side Laterals

30 lbs DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Dumbbell Rear Laterals (Face down on a slightly inclined bench)

25 lbs DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Note - Tomorrow morning I go to my friends for Squats, grippers, Stiff Leg deadlifts and lat pulldowns. Wanna try the Ronnie Coleman 350 I have rated at 200. Should be fun. 

• Like 2

Great training session today. Once I am fully rested I plan to give a full write up but for now I will just mention the highlight. I tried the new 350 Ronnie Coleman strongman gripper rated by cannon at 200 RGC that I just got and came so dam close. I missed by a freaking hair. Here is a video and still of the attempt. Argh! so frustrating to get this close and just miss but I will keep working and get vengeance on this gripper. Even though it is rated 1 lb heavier than my GHP 9, I think it feels slightly easier to me due to the easier set and sweep. GHPs always feel harder to me since they have the hardest set and sweet and that is my weakness so I plan to take down this gripper first and the GHP 9 next. 

Ronnie 200 (3).png

"If it bleeds, we can kill it"

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Hello Chez, I notice that among all the very high level athletes in grip you are by far the most explosive! No matter how difficult the gripper is, you crush it with violence and crazy speed. When I see Morgan or Nathan Holle, it is rather the incredible slowness that is striking. Is it voluntary on your part to be so energetic and aggressive or is it a natural talent? Have you ever tried to imitate this kind of slow style like them?

4 hours ago, Maiche 25 said:

Hello Chez, I notice that among all the very high level athletes in grip you are by far the most explosive! No matter how difficult the gripper is, you crush it with violence and crazy speed. When I see Morgan or Nathan Holle, it is rather the incredible slowness that is striking. Is it voluntary on your part to be so energetic and aggressive or is it a natural talent? Have you ever tried to imitate this kind of slow style like them?

Hey Maiche. Yes, it is voluntary when I hit a gripper fast and hard with aggression. I realized very early in my training that grippers are very central nervous system dependent (especially for me) so I practiced being able to get my cns firing when going for a big close. I do this by listening to motivation music or speeches, doing certain weightlifting movements to wake up my body etc. I have gotten pretty good at it and most time I am able to replicate it on demand. I have tried the slower style and it just doesn’t work for me. I think everyone is different but I always perform better with adrenaline. I am usually good for more lbs during a certification or training session for this reason. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

quick session in the community fitness room doing the light accessories I didn't have time for during the week

Band Row (Both Hand Same time with handles anchored to the door)

1 warm up set

2 Orange Bands (heaviest ones) - 4 sets of 15 reps. 

Single Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curls (on an Steep incline Bench)

1 warm up set

40 lb Dumbbell - 4 sets of 10x each arm. Slow and controlled to make it harder

Standing Calf Raises

Body Weight (290+ lbs) - 4 sets of 50x. Slow and controlled and paused to make it harder

Lying Leg Raises (Lower Abs)

4 sets of 10x

Stiff Leg Deadlifts 

Holding two 50 lb DBs (biggest in the fitness room) - 4 sets of 15x. Slow and controlled to make them harder. 

So hit Chest and tris Wednesday and forgot to log but it was a cruddy session. I felt off. Not going to bother logging it. Just move on and rebound in the workouts coming up. I sent the following heavy grippers to Cannon to get rated today 4 of them previously rated by someone else. I want Matt to re rate them to make them more comparable to the other heavy grippers I have which are all rated by Cannon. 

Older COC #4 (Just the number stamped on both handles) - never rated but feels 201-203. I have given it my best effort before my recent surgery 

COC #4 - 203. 

Grand Eilte - 210. 

COC #4 - 214

COC #4 - 217

heavy grippers.jpg

I also had two adjustables made by Aaron using an MM8 Replica Spring and a pro spring and he gave me sets of longer handles for more adjustability and I having Matt find ratings on them for the gaps I need. Its on like Donkey Kong! They are the two to the left below. Training harder and smarter this time around. 

adjustable grippers.jpg

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Great workout tonight in the fitness room. Rebounding from the cruddy one Wednesday

Standing One Arm Overhead Band Press

1 warm up each arm

2 orange bands (heaviest) - 5 sets of 6x each arm. Think it’s time to move up a little

Seated Dumbbell Arnold Shoulder Press

50 lb DBs (heaviest in the room) - 2 sets of 13x, 3 sets of 12x

Lying Dumbbell Skull Crushers 

40 lb DBs - 4 sets of 10x. Gotta up the rep a little next time

Seated Dumbbell Side Laterals 

30 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Dumbbell Rear Laterals (face down on a slightly inclined bench)

25 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

RBA Gripper Right Hand Negatives 

several warm ups 

setting 7.5 - 10 negatives with 5 second holds. Done in between sets of everything else 

Argh. Behind in logging again. Lifted Sunday and Monday. Nothing special to note though so lets just start logging again with tonights workout. I had a bad bench session last week but rebounded nicely tonight. Went up in weight or reps on everything. Everything felt much lighter. Only had one miss and I think its cause I wasn't in good position (oh well, something to improve upon next week)

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

255 lbs - 4 sets of 5x. no problem

300 lbs - no problem at all. 

215 lbs - 14x AMRAP. I probably could have gutted out another rep but I decided to save it. 

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

Barbell Floor Press - each rep paused

245 lbs (low rack position cause my buddy is much shorter than me) - 3x

275 lbs (Higher rack position) - 2x

300 lbs (higher rack position) - miss. the one miss of the workout. I think I wasn't in great position. Oh well, next time.

245 lbs (low rack position) - 5x

Straight Bar Triceps Push down

100 lbs in plates - 4 sets of 12x

Had my board presentation today remotely and it went well. Grippers this weekend! I want revenge on the 200 lb rated Coleman gripper! Missing by a hair really pissed me off. 

• Like 2

Long day of training. AM and PM session:

AM

Farmers Walks  (Used wrist wrap hooks to save my grip for grippers tomorrow)

Did what I believe is about 40 feet each way on uneven grass backyard with 120, 170, 185 per hand. Still ramping up and getting use to this exercise but I am enjoying it.

Then went home and cleaned the rust off some used weight plates that I bought which was pretty labor intensive cause I live in a coop and I used chemicals so I had to do it far away from the building then carry them pretty far to the fitness room across the courtyard up stairs and then down stairs 😪. I ended up using these for my PM session below:

PM 

Standing Overhead One Arm Band Shoulder Press

2 Orange Bands (Heaviest Ones) - 5 sets of 6x each arm

Seated Dumbbell Arnold Shoulder Presses

50 lb DBs - 3 sets of 15x

Dumbbell Skull Crushers

40 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Now to use the plates I cleaned and lugged to the fitness room for Pinch Work:

One Hand Flask Pinch

Some warm ups

86 lbs - 3 singles left hand and 2 right. Left is always stronger on this and the left hand had more solid lifts. This is a post surgery PR though so I am happy. 

76 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

66 lbs - 3 triples each hand

66 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds each hand

One Hand 4" Pinch Block 

Couple Warm ups

58 lbs - 3 singles each hand. Another Post Surgery PR

48 lbs - 3 doubles

38 lbs - 3 triples

Enough for Today. Squats and Grippers in the AM. Lets GO!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maiche 25 said:

Hi, your surgery seems to have been a real success! Do you still experience pain or do you think you have minor consequences anyway?

ya, I am really happy with the surgery. I had an amazing doctor and would highly recommend him. I have no pain or any discomfort. I feel good as new

Argh and behind in the log yet again. Work is kicking my butt but I’m still training. I restored the last two 45 lb plates I bought last night to get ready for training this weekend. Tonight is chest and triceps and I will try to catch up in the log 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't logged in a while because work has been kicking my butt and I hit some speed bumps in my training that made me take a step back and analyze how to get back on track. First I haven't been happy with my gripper training. I have gotten off track since the gyms closed and plateaued. The main reason being that I have been attempting too much and missing (I blame it on being impatient) and I started to incorporated filed grippers in the training but over relying on them. I decided to take a step back and ramp back up the right way using what has always worked. The main beyond the range work with be with my robert baraban adjustable with negatives after my main gripper work. I just had a friend file it for me and I will occasionally throw in some heavy filed singles with the Megalodon I had filed and rated. The heart of my program has always been regular MMS gripper closes with drop sets of singles double and triples and constantly trying to do more than previously (either heavier gripper or more reps/sets) and I need to get back to that. Second, I tweaked my right pec again a couple weeks ago which really pissed me off so I am again rehabbing that and ramping up the pressing work as well. Here are my last 2 workouts:

Wednesday  5/13/20

Raised the weights again this week as I continue to rehab the pec tweak but still light stuff. Good news is no issue with the pec. More weight next week. Trying to be patient and smart:

Flat barbell Bench - every rep paused

warms ups

135 - 10x

155 - 10x

175 - 10x

195 - 10x 

Incline Barbell Bench 

135 - 10 paused reps

185 - 10x

205 - 10x

Barbell Floor Press - every rep paused

185 lbs - 5x

205 - 5x

225 - 5x

205 - 10x

tricep pushdowns

100 lbs in plates - 4 sets of 10x

side note - we weighed my buddy’s 45 lb plates last weekend and almost every plate weighed heavy with most weighing 48 and change and one weighing 50 and changed. We always suspected cause weights always feel heavier in his home gym and now we know for sure 

Today 

AM Session

Farmer's Walks - each weight down and back a 35 foot course

120 lbs per hand

170 lbs per hand

200 lbs per hand - most weight the hands have felt since surgery and it felt good

PM Session

Seated One Arm Shoulder Press

70 lbs - 10x each hand

75 lbs - 8x each hand

80 lbs - 5x each hand

90 lbs - 5x each hand

- fitness room at my coop community only has up to 50 lb DBs so I got created and placed another DB on top perpendicular across the handles of the 50 lb and holding it in place with my index and middle fingers. Made the balancing a little tricky but it got the job done and probably worked my stabilizers more. 

Seated Dumbbell Later Raises

30 lb DBs - 4 sets of 10x

Rear Lateral Dumbbell raises (face down on a slight incline bench)

30 lb DBs - 4 sets of 10x

Dumbbell Skull Crushers

40 lb DBs - 4 sets of 10x. 

- Starting to get back in the groove. 

• Like 2

Today's AM Training:

Deadlifts

Warm ups

315 lbs - 5x

335 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 5x

365 lbs - 3x

Bench Over Barbell Rows

135 lbs - 10x

185 lbs - 10x

205 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

Lat Pulldowns

1 warm up

150 lbs in plates - 10x

170 lbs in plates - 3 sets of 10x

Another short session tongiht

• Like 1

Got horribly sick right after last training session. Got contaminated and my food allergy hit me like a ton of bricks. Lots of pain. Today was the first day I felt 100%

Continuing to add weight as I rehab the pec strain. Pec felt great. Still light weight. Tonight’s training:

Flat Barbell Bench Press -Every rep paused 

Warm ups 

135 - 10x

165 - 10x

195 -10x

215 - 10x

Incline Barbell Bench

155 - 10x

185 - 10x 

225 - 5x

Barbell Floor Press - every rep paused

185 - 5x

215 - 5x

245 - 5x

225 - 8x

Tricep Pushdowns

100 lbs plates - 4 sets of 10x. Need to up reps or weight next week

Extensors

red + Gold IM band - 5 sets of 50x each hand  

Edited by Chez

P.S. wrote this on Facebook yesterday:

So my new gripper adjustables were rated by cannon and I now can get the following cannon ratings:

197, 199, 200 (cheap gripper just broke), 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 2010

“That will do pig, that will do” no excuses now. Plus I got an extra set of longer handles for more ratings when the time comes. My RBA is now filed for
Negatives. I got all the tools needed. Just need to put in the work. Resetting the cycle again Sunday. Sunday can’t come soon enough. Game on

Let’s see what happens when crush genetics, a beautiful mind, crazy work ethic, insane determination and great tools come together 😜

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Chez said:

P.S. wrote this on Facebook yesterday:

So my new gripper adjustables were rated by cannon and I now can get the following cannon ratings:

197, 199, 200 (cheap gripper just broke), 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 2010

“That will do pig, that will do” no excuses now. Plus I got an extra set of longer handles for more ratings when the time comes. My RBA is now filed for
Negatives. I got all the tools needed. Just need to put in the work. Resetting the cycle again Sunday. Sunday can’t come soon enough. Game on

Let’s see what happens when crush genetics, a beautiful mind, crazy work ethic, insane determination and great tools come together 😜

That 2010 is gonna be a 🐻!   😅🤣

Go get it big fella!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t been posting cause I have been battling some injuries. First a pec strain and now a left wrist issue which has effected my regular lifting and grip work but felt much better today so I need to start posting again. Weight is still light but I’m ramping up 

Best bench day for me since the pec tweak and wrist started acting up. Been rehabbing like crazy. Wrapping it, ice, heat, stretching and rehab exercises and even doing red light therapy and it feels better. Only mild discomfort on the top sets as I continue to ramp up and the pec also feels great coming back from the strain

Flat Barbell Bench Press

3 warm ups 

185 - 10x

205 - 5x

225 - 5x

245 - 5x

185 - 5x

205 - 5x

225- 5x

Barbell Floor Press

225 - 3x

250 - 3x

275 - 2x. Could have gotten a third but decided to save it for next week. Most weight so most pressure on the wrist 

245 - 3x

Tricep straight bar push downs 

50 lbs on plates - 4 sets of 25x. Left elbow has been acting up so I decided to go lighter weight and higher reps to give it a break. 

- buddy is coming over Friday so I may throw in high rep sets of incline and flat DB bench with as well for extra work. Icing the wrist as I type this 

Edited by Chez