Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Well the show must go on. Feeling much better. Still taking antibiotics but I plan on lifting today straight after work. I have goals to conquer 

• Like 4

On 11/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, bencrush said:

Glad to hear you're feeling better! 

Thanks Ben. Much better today. Swelling is down. Still some redness and skin issues which will take longer but I’m happy.

• Like 1

So back in the saddle yesterday for a chest and arms session. As expected, I felt weak so I went back a couple weeks in my programming to ramp up again. 

Barbell Bench Press

4 warm ups 

260 lbs - 4 sets of 4x

295 lbs - 1x

205 lbs - 15x 

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 5x

90 lb DBs - 5x

100 lb DBs - 5

105 lb DBs - 5x

Smith Machine Floor Press, pause with each rep

275 lbs - 3x

265 lbs - 2 sea of 3x

Machine Pec Deck Flys 

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

250 lbs (stack) - 8x

1 Arm Machine Curls 

2 warm ups

140 lbs - 4 sets of 8x each arm 

1 Arm Machine Tricep Extensions 

110 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm

Note - taking off today but I’ll hit shoulders, lights legs (infection was on my right calf) and right grippers tomorrow. Going to try and move up to my next gripper. 

Shoulders and right hand grippers today. Again, my press strength felt weak coming back from the infection. I went back to week 1 of the cycle to lessen the weight and ramp up again. Grippers felt good but I made a mistake and left them in the car and its been pretty cold here. That's a rookie mistake. Cold grippers are harder to close (steel stiffens) and sting the hand more. Also, having cold hands is dangerous since tendons become rigid in the cold. Both of my injuries have occurred around this time of year. Because of this after I closed my goal gripper, I dropped down more than planned to be safe and focus on volume more today. Next time I won't leave the grippers in the car.

Standing Barbell Overhead Press

2 warm up sets

145 lbs - 8x

160 lbs - 6x

175 lbs - 4x

185 lbs - 3x

200 lbs - 2x

205 lbs - 1x

165 lbs - 10x. Argh. I did two more reps with 10 lbs more last time with more weight on previous sets. Everything is moving slow also. Hopefully I bounce back from this infection soon. 

Machine Rear Laterals

100 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

Machine Side Laterals

70 lbs - 10x

90 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

Right Hand Grippers MMS

Several warm ups

Elite (RGC 165 lbs). 1X Easy Money with paused set. New Post Surgery PR. Video below

MM1 (RGC 160 lbs). 1x. So the plan was sets of doubles but the cold grippers and my cold hands got me worried as I mentioned above so I decided to play it safe and drop and get more volume. 

COC #3 (RGC 153 lbs) - 3 sets of triples

COC #3  (RGC 141 lbs) - 3 sets of triples

COC #2.5 (RGC 133 lbs) - 3 sets of 5x

GHP 5 - 3 sets of 10x

Note - Next gripper to conquer is my 172 lb COC #3.5. Think I will wait at least 2 sessions though and increase volume in the time being to be safe. Also, I really need to make sure the grippers are warm and so are my hands. Onward and upward! 

• Like 8

Rough couple days at work....rough. Was going to hit the gym but I cancelled it and Plan to make it up Friday with my training partners.

tonight I’m focusing on wine drop set curls........🤪

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man. I’m behind the log again. So I took my last antibiotic Thursday morning and the leg is back to normal size. Still a little redness that has to die down though. I worked out that week but my workouts weren’t great. Energy and strength were low. I really started to hit it again this weekend and I’m starting to get back into a groove. I’ll start logging again this week but I want to log my gripper work from yesterday because it was an amazing session:

Sunday 11/24/19

Right Hand MMS Grippers

several warm up closes.

172 lb COC #3.5 - 4 easy singles with paused sets. Hell ya! New post surgery PR.  I was hesitate about trying this today. I had my finger taped during warmups but it was hindering my close so I ditched the tape and wow. It was so easy I had to check and make sure I grabbed the right gripper. Video of the first close below.

165 lb Elite - 3 singles. No problem 

153 lb COC #3 - 3 sets of triples 

147 lb GHP 7 - 3 sets of triples

141 lb COC #3 - 3 sets of 5x

Note - just super shocked how fast my crush is coming back. Really happy. Way ahead of schedule.

• Like 3

took my last antibiotic last Thursday and I can tell its making a difference. My energy is back and strength is coming back quickly. Just had a great back and shoulder workout this weekend (still lower weights than before the infection but I am on the way up). Going to start logging again this week. Been lifting the entire time but the numbers haven't been great while battling the cellulitis. Feel like its behind me now and I am getting back in the groove. looking forward to kicking some butt again.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Going to log today’s workout probably in the morning cause I’m exhausted right now. Been working 7 days a week. but I am totally back in the groove after the cellulitis. Great shoulder and gripper workout today. Set another post surgery gripper PR by killing my 174 lb RGC rated RB 280 for three straight singles. Here is the first close:

• Like 3

Time to start logging again. Great back and thick bar workout tonight. 

Deadlifts 

4 warm up sets

335 lbs - 2x

365 lbs - 2x

395 lbs - 2x

425 lbs - 2x. Crushed it easy. Talking to my partner during it. Post surgery PR. 

365 lbs - 3x

2.5” crusher lifts

3 warm up sets each hand 

117.5 lbs - 3 sets of triples each hand 

112.5 lbs - 3 sets of triples each hand 

Lat Pull Downs with 2.25” grips

150 lbs - 8x

160 lbs - 8x

170 lbs - 8x

180 lbs - 8x

Medium Grip Cable Rows with 2.25” grips

150 lbs - 8x

170 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

190 lbs - 8x

Notes - all the thick bar work is the heaviest since surgery. Tomorrow is OHP day and I’ll throw in extra tricep work. Let’s Go!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

another fantastic workout with my strength raising again:

Standing Overhead Shoulder Press

6 warm up sets

225 lbs - Single. Easy money. My lockout strength is coming back nicely

215 lbs - 3 sets of doubles. These moved fast. Felt dam good. More weight next week

140 lbs - 10x

160 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

Straight Bar Tricep Pressdowns

150 lbs (Whole Stack) - 4 sets of 12x. trying to get extra triceps work in on shoulder day. It is feeling great. 

Machine Rear Laterals

130 lbs - 8x

140 lbs - 8x

150 lbs - 8x

Seated Machine Side Laterals

110 lbs - 12x

130 lbs - 12x

150 lbs - 12x

Leg Press Single Leg Calf Extensions 

80 lbs - 4 sets of 30x each leg. Feel like I am finally making progress with the achilles tendonitis and the only way I have been doing it is with light weight so I gottta keep it light to stretch the area. 

Note - love being back at it and gaining strength by the week. Time to start kicking some ass again

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Great chest and arms session tonight. 

Flat Barbell Bench Press

7 warm up sets 

315 lbs - completely destroyed. That might be the fastest and easiest 315 has ever moved. My spotter asked why I didn’t try a second rep and it because I’m saving it for maxing next week.

275 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 3x

295 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 9x. Half way up on the 10th cause my triceps are fried 

Incline Barbell Bench Press

205 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

245 lbs - 4x, slight spot on the 5th cause my tris are just shot

Smith Machine Barbell Floor Press with a pause at the bottom each rep

285 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 1x. Half way up on the 2nd

315 lbs - 1x

Machine Pec Deck Flys with pauses with the handles touching 

190 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 10x

230 lbs - 10x

250 lbs (whole stack) - 10x

Machine Single Arm Bicep Curls

155 lbs - 2 sets of 10x each arm

155 lbs - 2 sets of 8x each arm

Machine Single Arm Tricep Ext

140 lbs - 4 sets of 8 each arm 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

gotta update the log with this weekends workouts but Really happy with the gripper work today. Worked up to 3 sets of MMS doubles with my 175 GHP 8. Here is the first one where I just missed the 3rd rep (would have gotten the 3rd if I wasn't pausing the sets and closes and holding the gripper in frame)

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

gotta update the log with this weekends workouts but Really happy with the gripper work today. Worked up to 3 sets of MMS doubles with my 175 GHP 8. Here is the first one where I just missed the 3rd rep (would have gotten the 3rd if I wasn't pausing the sets and closes and holding the gripper in frame)

* the click * 

• Like 1

Very impressive comeback Chez! Big-time Crush power

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2019 at 8:11 PM, AdamTGlass said:

* the click * 

16 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very impressive comeback Chez! Big-time Crush power

14 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Up on the roof top, click click click, down to the gripper .... Chez ...click click click 

Thanks Fellas. Been working crazy hours. But leaving work early to attempt a bench press PR tomorrow. Going to give it everything I got!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fell behind in the log but it’s because I strained something in my left armpit on the outside of my left pec. It actually happened on a heavy set of deadlifts. I felt the pull. I then felt it again on Bench the following week. The good news is that there is no bruising and I have already had a bench, deadlift and overhead press session without feeling it so I’m confident it’s just a strain/pull. I kept the sessions light though and will continue to do so with a slow ramp up. This has happened before and this strategy got me past it and last time it felt way worse so I’m glad about that. I’ll start by logging my gripper work yesterday which went very well:

Sunday 1/5/20

Right Hand MMS Grippers

Several warm ups

180 lb RGC COC #3.5 - 3 singles. Nice. Last one was the best cause I called a friend over to judge and I always get pumped up when someone watches so I slammed that one. 

172 lb COC #3.5 - 3 doubles. 

165 lb Elite - 3 triples

153 lb COC #3 - 3 sets of 5 

133 lb COC #2.5 - 3 sets of 10. Don’t usually go this high rep but I wanted to condition the tendon 

Note - no video of the 180 close because I forgot my camera at home and my phone was dead. I will probably have to start working hard now that I am in the 180s again. That’s were the hard work has always started in the past. My natural ability always gets me to the 180 mark fairly easy. Super excited though cause I never thought I would have gotten to this point so quickly after the surgery.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

still working, just haven't been logging. I am rehabbing a pec strain (Which I first felt on deadlifts and then really felt the next chest session) so I started back super light on presses and deads and ramping up each week so the weight lifting numbers aren't really worth logging. This is what I did last time this happened it worked like a charm. Just need to check the ego at the door until it clears. I have to start logging this week though. I'll be logging full workouts again this Wednesday, the numbers will still be low but not as crazy low. 

Tonight I hit Right Hand MMS grippers and set a new post Surgery PR by closing my RB 330 (RGC 182 lbs). This wasn't easy though and was the first close of my comeback that wasn't. I actually missed it the first two times by a hair and had to regroup and dig deep to get it on the third and it wasn't a dominating close. The handles touched for a moment and then broke open by a hair as you will see from the video. I have been coasting till this point. I got back to 180 quickly based on my natural ability and muscle memory (I flew quickly to this level the first time and every time I have recovered from injury). 180 is usually the range where I have to start to working hard. Let the fun begin.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard ... is what makes it great."

Here is the video of the close:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HandsofStone said:

Nicely done! 

Thanks dude 

Have to get back to regular logging. Chest and arms last night. Still slowly ramping up on chest to rehab the pec strain but it’s feeling better 

Barbell Bench Press

3 warm up sets 

225 - 10 sets of triples 

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

75 lb DBs - 10x

80 lb DBs - 10x 

85 lb DBs - 10x

90 lb DBs - 8x

Machine Pec Deck Flys 

170 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

Triceps Rope Pull Downs

100 lbs - 15x

100 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

100 lbs - 8x

One Arm Machine Bicep Curls 

2 warm ups

155 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm

• Like 1

Today’s training. Shoulders and crusher and a little bit of wrist work. Still rehabbing the pec strain so still ramping up and it affects my shoulder work also.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

3 warm up sets

175 lbs - 10 sets of triples 

2.5” Crusher Lifts 

127.5 lbs - 3 singles each hand. Heaviest since the surgery

117.5 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

107.5 lbs - 3 triples each hand

102.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x each hand 

102.5 lbs - 3 lifts with 10 second holds each hand 

Strict double hand plate wrist curls over a bench 

25 lb Plate - 20x, 15x, 15x 

Strict double hand reverse barbell curls forearms on knees 

30 lbs - 3 sets of 15x

Machine Reverse Laterals

120 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Machine Single Arm Triceps Extensions 

125 lbs - 3 sets of 15x each arm 

Seated Machine Side laterals

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x 

Edited by Chez

Yesterday’s workout:

Deadlifts 

4 warm ups all without the wrist wrap hooks working up to the most weight without them since surgery. Felt good

335 lbs - 4 sets of triples 

Lat Pull Downs with 2.25 yes 4 all grips 

150 lbs - 10x

160 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 8x

180 lbs - 8x

Medium Grip Cable Rows with the yes 4 all grips 

150 lbs - 8x

170 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

Lying Hamstring Curls

95 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Leg Extensions 

125 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

155 lbs - 10x

and of course I fell behind in the log again this week. Oh well, lets just post the major highlight today and try to stay on track with posting. I again hit a major Post Surgery PR on Grippers by Slamming my hard MM3 Replica at 186 lbs RGC. I felt the handles grind and talked to the camera. This felt dam good. Only my 13th gripper session. I couldn't have imagined coming back this fast from hand surgery, especially since I have been holding back and slow playing it. This is the first time I really amped myself up and let it rip since the surgery. I also believe I closed it for a second single but it was close. The first close ripped some skin off my palm where the handle rests, and after that a tear opened up on my pinky and set finger so I had to take some pain to finish out the workout. Its february and I had my surgery last february so its time to start upping the intensity and really go for it. Going to be a fun year.

"Prepare for glory!"

Here is that first close:

Here is the damage I took and had to endure to finish the workout: 

B3FED78D-E363-42FC-BDA8-79EE1C9C9883.jpeg

B2A19B28-8D4C-4A8B-A213-F28E7878A147.jpeg

“Bleed for this”

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5