Chez

Great back and thick bar session today:

Deadlifts with wrist wrap hooks 

5 warm up sets

335 lbs - 3x

355 lbs - 3x

375 lbs - 3x

395 lbs - 3x

- definitely my best DL session since surgery. Loving rotating heavy DLs and squats. I am totally feeling Fresher.

2.5” Crusher Lifts

1 warm up sets

72.5 lbs - 5x each hand

77.5 lbs - 5x each hand 

82.5 lbs - 5x each hand 

87.5 lbs - 5x each hand

92.5 lbs - 5x each hand 

Lats Pulls Downs with 2.25” grips

130 lbs - 4 sets of 10x

Cables Rows with 2.25” grips

130 lbs - 4 sets of 10x

• Like 2

Fantastic shoulder session today. I set an overhead press PR last week and promptly broke it today!

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

6 warm up sets

235 lbs - solid single and a brand new PR! It moved fast also. I have more in me. Thinking about trying 240 next week. 

220 lbs - 3 sets of doubles 

Machine Rear Laterals

110 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x 

- all this felt easy. More weight next week

Seated Machine Shoulder Press

170 lbs - 3 sets of 8x. More in the tank

Seated Machine Laterals

90 lbs - 8x 

110 lbs - 8x

130 lbs - 8x

150 lbs - 8x

- felt easy. Feeling so dam strong today

Machine Ab Crunches

125 lbs - 4 sets of 25x

Note - in such a great groove. Loving it. Light legs and wrist work tomorrow 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Alright, so work continues to be crazy and I am putting in long hours (and working weekends) so I had to skip my planned monday light leg session and wrist work. I asked for a raise last week so its kind of like a pro athlete in contract year, I have to grind until they make their decision (I am freaking awesome at my job though and totally deserve it). I left work early tonight though and had a fantastic Chest and arms session. I then got in my car straight from the gym and put in a couple more hours at work..............(I grind, its what I do). 

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

260 lbs - 4 sets of 4x. 

295 lbs - 1x. easy money

205 lbs - 18x. Nice. matched my reps from last week while upping the weight 5 lbs. 

Incline Barbell Bench Press

215 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

245 lbs - 5x. I took a bigger jump because the last 2 sets felt great. felt easy. feeling strong tonight

Smith Machine Barbell Floor Press

295 lbs - 2x. moved

305 lbs - 1x. moved fast

315 lbs - 1x. got it, Nice but my buddy pointed out I didn't pause as long as I usually do which I knew. Next time I'll get it with the longer pause. I missed this last week

Machine Pec Deck Flys - ever rep with a nice pause and squeeze with the handles touching 

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

250 lbs (whole stack) - 8x. so usually I can't pause the last two reps here but I got them tonight. Getting stronger. 

Machine Single Arm Bicep Curls

170 lbs - 4 sets of 8x each arm. So that is every full plate on the machine and its made for doing two arms as well. Only a 5 and 10 lb fractional plate are left. totally a PR. My biceps are feeling strong and big

Machine Single Arm Tricep Extensions

140 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm. I did sets of 8x last week and these reps felt easy. More weight next week. 

Note - I literally went up in every single exercise either in weight or reps. I think the difference maker was I left work earlier and took more time in between sets. I am a great roll right now. Going to continue to ride the wave! I am going to come back as a monster. I wont stop until I am stronger in everything than ever before. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Long weekend. I have update the log tomorrow with Saturday and Sundays training but today was great. I broke my standing overhead press PR again (3rd week straight) by pressing 240 lbs and in only my 5th gripper session back from surgery I closed an easier COC #3 TNS. Just like Riding a bike! Next! 😈

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I'm behind in the log again. I plan on updating with highlights from the workouts I didn't log tomorrow but today I took another step further with grippers and got an easy TNS close with my GHP 7 (147 RGC). The strength is coming back fast. I really didn't expect this. This wasn't even my gripper day but I was at a training session so I gave it shot. Really happy with the progress. The great thing is that I still haven't started to train hard yet. Still holding back. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

alright, I'm just too lazy to log the workouts I haven't logged so to sum those up = I'm getting stronger fast and feel like my old self more and more each day. Here is what I did today:

Standing Overhead Barbell Shoulder Press - Week 1

2 warm up sets

145 lbs - 8x

160 lbs - 6x

175 lbs - 4x

185 lbs - 3x

200 lbs - 2x

205 lbs - 1x

165 lbs - 15x. Dam cardio AMRAP set. especially hard with this exercise since its hard to breathe. 

- Started a new overheard press program. Hopefully I can hit 245-250 at the end. 

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press

60 lb DBs - 8x

70 lb DBs - 8x

80 lb DBs - 8x

90 lb Dbs - 7x. 

First time doing DB presses since the surgery. I trust my hand now to handle them. 

Machine Rear Lateral Flys

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

Machine Lateral Raises

90 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

Extensor Work

IM Red Band - 5 sets of 50x each hand

• Like 3

Enjoyed browsing through your training log. Glad to see that you are now on the mend and feeling stronger post surgery. I too perform high reps with my IM Finger Extensor Bands (aka IM Expand-Your-Hand Bands)... daily I aim for 200-250 total reps each hand using the blue and/or red band(s). They alleviated me of some rather nasty elbow tendinitis I had been suffering with. Cheers.

BTW:  When you perform your band finger extensions do you just perform straight reps or do you perform holds?

Myself, I typically perform a 3 to 5-count hold on each and every rep... sometimes even holding as long as a 10-count trying to spread my fingers as wide as they will go. So my sets are usually anywhere from 5 to 20 reps per hand due to the holds. Don't know if this is a smart approach or not... what say you good sir?

On 10/14/2019 at 7:40 AM, Ricochet said:

Enjoyed browsing through your training log. Glad to see that you are now on the mend and feeling stronger post surgery. I too perform high reps with my IM Finger Extensor Bands (aka IM Expand-Your-Hand Bands)... daily I aim for 200-250 total reps each hand using the blue and/or red band(s). They alleviated me of some rather nasty elbow tendinitis I had been suffering with. Cheers.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:56 AM, Ricochet said:

BTW:  When you perform your band finger extensions do you just perform straight reps or do you perform holds?

Myself, I typically perform a 3 to 5-count hold on each and every rep... sometimes even holding as long as a 10-count trying to spread my fingers as wide as they will go. So my sets are usually anywhere from 5 to 20 reps per hand due to the holds. Don't know if this is a smart approach or not... what say you good sir?

Hey buddy. Sorry for the late response. Work has been crazy and I have been putting in 6 and 7 day weeks. Thanks for the kind words. When I first started grip I never trained extensors and sure enough I got hit with really bad tendonitis. My arm literally went numb. Once I threw in regular extensor work, it never happened again. Right now I perform straight reps, I never thought about holds but that may be a good idea and I'll start experimenting with them. I'm always open to new training techniques and I always look back in my log to see what worked and what didn't. I see you started a log which is great. All the best in your training. I'll make sure to follow your progress 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Argh. Work has been insane again so I'm 3 workouts behind in the log and yes I spent the day at work and left straight for the gym again. Things have been going great though with training! Getting stronger every day! Here are the last 3 workouts:

Tuesday 10/15/19

Saw my hand doctor in the morning. He said I no longer need follow up visits! I just need to continue to ramp up my training and continue to get stronger. So excited. time to ramp things up!

Front Sledge Deadlift/levering 

6 lb sledge full length - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Rear Sledge weaver stick/levering 

6 lbs sledge full length - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Sledge Pronation/supination 

6 lb Sledge choked so my hand is right in front of my blue tape line (I need to measure that) - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Wednesday 10/16/19

Bench Press - cycle 1, week 5

4 warm up sets

260 lbs - 4 sets of 5x. easy money

305 lbs - 1x. Smoked it. My friends watching commented how easy it looked. 

215 lbs - AMRAP. 16 clean reps and 1 rep with a slight assist (spotter put his finger tips on right at the end cause I was just short of lock out). My tris are fried 

Incline Bench Press

225 lbs - 5x

245 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 3x. more next week

Smith Machine Floor Bench Press

295 lbs - 1x. Easy

315 lbs - 1x. Hell ya. This week with a real pause. Getting better at this. 

Machine Pec Deck Flys, every rep pause with the handles touching

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

250 lbs (entire stack) - 8x. This is getting easy. More rep next week for every set

EZ Curl Bar Preacher Curls

70 lbs - 8x

90 lbs - 8x

100 lbs - 8x

110 lbs - 8x

Single Arm Machine Tricep Extensions

140 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each arm. I think its time to up the weight again. 

Single Arm Strict Plate Wrist Curls with Forearm on Bench

10 lb Plate - 3 sets of 15x each arm. First time doing these since surgery so slowly ramping up

Barbell Strict Reverse Wrist Curls with Forearm on Bench

30 lb BB - 3 sets of 10x . again first time doing this since surgery. 

Saturday 10/19/19

Barbell Back Squats

3 warm up sets

225 lbs - 8x

255 lbs - 8x

275 lbs - 8x

295 lbs - 6x

- Decided to go higher reps this session. My form has been off since coming back so I want to dial it in before going heavy again. 

Lying Leg Curls

95 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

125 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

Leg Extensions

125 lbs - 8x

140 lbs - 8x

155 lbs - 8x

170 lbs - 8x

1 Hand Pinch Flask

2 warm up sets 

56 lbs - 3x each hand

61 lbs - 3x each hand

66 lbs - 2x each hand

71 lbs - 2x each hand. Most since surgery and felt rock solid. However, my thumb skin is getting beat up because its not use to the abuse so I need to make sure and use working hands everyday. 

1 hand sorinex 4" Pinch Block

38 lbs - 3x each hand

43 lbs - 3x each hand

48 lbs - 2 sets of 3x each hand. Again the most since surgery and felt great. 

Thumb Screw double thumb Dynamic Pinch 

4 sets of 30x. time to love up grippers. 

Note - Tomorrow I hit Overhead press and grippers. Plan is to start MMS gripper training tomorrow. Time to bring it! upping the intensity 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Another amazing session today. great shoulder and right hand gripper workout. 

Standing Overhead Barbell Press - Cycle 1, week 2

2 warm up sets

145 lbs - 8x

165 lbs - 6x

180 lbs - 4x

190 lbs - 3x

205 lbs - 2x

210 lbs - 1x

170 lbs - AMRAP set. 12x and almost had the 13th but I lost my balance a little and missed it right at lock. I also worked a full day and come straight to the gym from work. I would have totally had gotten the 13th if I hadn't. happy with this though. 

Machine Reverse Laterals 

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

- This is getting easy. I upped the reps this week. Next week I up the weight. 

Seated Machine Shoulder Press

185 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

I can up this next week.

Seated Machine Side Laterals

90 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

- This is starting to be routine. Time to up the weight next week. 

Right Hand MMS Grippers

Several Warm up sets pyramiding up in resistance

MM 1 Replica (160 RGC) - 3 Singles. Easy Money. Video of the second one below where I paused it nice and long and held the close. 

GHP 7 (147 RGC) - 3 doubles. No problemo 

COC #3 (141 RGC) - 3 triples. Money

COC #2.5 (133 RGC) - 3 triples. More of the same

COC #2 - 3 sets of 10x. did this for volume. 

Notes - My crush strength is coming back at an amazing rate. I had no idea it would come back this quickly after hand surgery. This is only my 7th gripper session and first one MMS and I'm not even trying. I'm actually trying really hard to hold back. I'm scared it's coming back so fast I may overpower the repair. I guess that is a good problem to have. It's time to pump the brakes a bit to be cautious. I'll stick with the 160 for a couple sessions and just increase the reps before moving up. Gotta be smart.  

Snapshot 2 (10-20-2019 9-12 PM).png

Snapshot 1 (10-20-2019 9-10 PM).png

• Like 6

So Monday is normally my "light" night but it was my parent's 47th anniversary yesterday so I went to have dinner with them straight after work so I made tonight my "light" night instead. 

Weighted Crunches on the Ab Machine 

140 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises 

240 lbs - 4 sets of 30x

Lat Pull Downs

160 lbs - 4 sets of 10x. Hands are feeling great so I am slowly ramping up the weight as they accommodate to the load. 

Cable Close Grip Rows

150 lbs - 4 sets of 10x. Again slowly amping up the weight as my hands get stronger. 

Left Hand MMS Grippers

COC #2 - 10 singles

GHP 4 - 5 sets of 5x

COC #1.5 - 5 sets of 5x

COC #1 - 3 sets of 10x

- Again, I injured my left hand as well but didn't have left hand surgery. We are doing the conservative method with this hand so I am going even slower here and gradually ramping up. Getting more volume here to insure it heals correctly. 

Extensors

IM red Band - 4 sets of 60x each hand

Notes - Left is feeling great. I will still go slow but feeling very optimistic. Tomorrow is Chest and Arms and I am training with at least 2 friends, Maybe 3 so it should be an intense session as I increase the weight further. I am excited for tomorrow's session. Should be fun! Lets go!

• Like 1

Just a fantastic Chest and Arms session tonight. I continue to get stronger every week. Love the groove I am in right now. 

Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

260 lbs - 5x

260 lbs - 6x

260 lbs - 6x

260 lbs - 5x

310 lbs - 1x. Easy Money. Moved well

220 lbs - AMRAP. 14 reps and half way up on the 15th. Triceps are fried. Happy with that since my goal was at least 13

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 5x

90 lb DBs - 5x

100 lb DBs - 5x. Easy

115 lb DBs - 6x. Good stuff

- First time doing this exercise since the surgery. Trust my hand enough now to do this

Smith Machine Floor Press

295 lbs - 1x. easy

315 lbs - 1x. Ya, buddy

315 lbs - 1x. First time getting it twice in one workout. Next week I'll up the weight here

Machine Pec Deck Flys with a pause when the handles are touching

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

250 lbs (whole stack) - 8x

- sets of 10x next week

Machine Single Arm Curls

155 lbs - 8x each arm

155 lbs - 3 sets of 10x each arm. Most Reps ever at this weight

Machine Single Arm Extensions 

155 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each arm. heaviest ever 

Note - Everything is going according to Plan. I will come back stronger than ever. I plan to come back a bigger and stronger monster. Hell ya baby. Deadlifts Saturday. my motivation is at a all time high. Lets Play!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Great back and thick bar session today:

Deadlifts 

4 warm ups sets

315 lbs - 3x

355 lbs - 3x

375 lbs - 3x

415 lbs - 3x. Nice. Most I have done in a while because my back was jacked up before the hand injury. Slowly climbing back up.

2.5” crusher

1 warm up set

82.5 lbs - 5x each hand

92.5 lbs - 5x each hand

102.5 lbs - 3x each hand

107.5 lbs - 2 sets of 3x each hand 

112.5 lbs - 2 sets of 3x each hand 

Lat Pulldowns with 2.25” yes 4 all grips

160 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Close grip cable rows with 2.25” yes 4 all grips

150 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

• Like 2

Great Shoulder session today:

Leg press Calf extensions 

1 warm up

240 lbs - 4 sets of 30x

Standing overhead barbell press

2 warm up sets

150 lbs - 8x

165 lbs - 6x

185 lbs - 4x

195 lbs - 3x

205 lbs - 2x

215 lbs - 1x

175 lbs - 12x. Matched the reps from last week with more weight and more weight on previous sets. Not too bad for working all weekend also.

Seated Dumbbell Press

65 lb DBs - 5x

75 lb DBs - 5x

85 lb DBs - 5x

95 lb DBs - 7x

stronger than last week on this as well.

Machine Rear Laterals 

130 lbs - 8x

140 lbs - 8x

150 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

more here also

Machine side laterals 

110 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

more here as well 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Argh. Haven't logged because I haven't trained all week. I got a bacterial infection my leg. My right calf is swollen to double size and red. The infection caused me to get a nasty fever that made me bed ridden all day Tuesday. The fever is gone but the leg is still swollen and red. I'm on antibiotics until it clears. on the positive side, My calves have never been this big 🤣

• Like 1

Had to go to the ER last night because of the infection and they are keeping me here today to give me antibiotics by IV. Argh!

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Had to go to the ER last night because of the infection and they are keeping me here today to give me antibiotics by IV. Argh!

Damn. Speedy recovery buddy. All the best. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

That sucks. Good luck healing up. 

• Thanks 1

Speedy recovery! Those bacteria infections can be nasty. 

• Thanks 1

How's it going now @Chez?

I saw what you wrote a few days back but I had no idea it was that serious. I hope you're on the mend.

Was the infection from a cut or a scratch or just one of those things with no known cause?

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Literally just got out of the hospital after being there for two nights. I have to keep taking oral antibiotics at home until this is completely knocked out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raymond said:

How's it going now @Chez?

I saw what you wrote a few days back but I had no idea it was that serious. I hope you're on the mend.

Was the infection from a cut or a scratch or just one of those things with no known cause?

Hey Ray. Thanks for the kind words. I have been dealing with achillies tendonitis so the doc gave me these medicine patches to put on it but over time they wore away the skin there and I believe that’s where the infection got in. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, FrankD said:

I hope you heal up and get better soon, Chez!  

Thanks frank