Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for the kind words buddy. I actually went to a doctor today for a second opinion and it was way more positive than the first so it was good news day and picked my spirits up.

That’s awesome! 

The new doctor called yesterday to discuss the scan results. It went extremely well. I have to see him again in two week but Idefinitely found my doctor and I’m more confident than ever I will be back pursing the MM8 in a few months time  

Edited by Chez
Typo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Surgery is scheduled for 2/22. Looking forward to getting it over with so I can start the long road to recovery. 

Happy with my doctor selection and I know he will help me get back to full strength 

• Like 9

Very encouraging news!

Slaying the MM8 will be a victory all the sweeter now! Good luck for a fast recovery. 

• Thanks 1

I wish you the best of luck. Heal up fast so we can see that MM8 drop. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Surgery is scheduled for 2/22. Looking forward to getting it over with so I can start the long road to recovery. 

Happy with my doctor selection and I know he will help me get back to full strength 

Good luck Chez, you will be crushing it again soon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Not training is already driving me crazy but I’ll focus on the long term goal to get me through the months ahead 

Are you still training the rest of your body?

30 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Are you still training the rest of your body?

Yep. Still training my body but I have to tweak certain things. The doctor doesn’t want me gripping barbells and dumbbells so I’m using machines for upping body and pressing with open hands on my palms. I also bought those wrist wraps with metal hooks so I can doing rowing exercises without the weight pulling on my hands.

once I have the surgery I still plan to go to the gym. I’ll do the same thing as when I tore my bicep, which is do upper body stuff with the one good hand and of course legs etc.

like I said before, im not quitting. Ill do whatever I can to keep moving forward.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Yep. Still training my body but I have to tweak certain things. The doctor doesn’t want me gripping barbells and dumbbells so I’m using machines for upping body and pressing with open hands on my palms. I also bought those wrist wraps with metal hooks so I can doing rowing exercises without the weight pulling on my hands.

once I have the surgery I still plan to go to the gym. I’ll do the same thing as when I tore my bicep, which is do upper body stuff with the one good hand and of course legs etc.

like I said before, im not quitting. Ill do whatever I can to keep moving forward.   

Hope you get better soon.

Which hooks are you using, and are you happy with them?

I recently ruptured the extensor tendon on my right middle finger and need to have it in a splint to keep from bending most of the finger for the next 5 weeks.  Like you, no gripping with that hand, so I've been using these hooks for the last week  on chins and deads.  Anything more than bodyweight chins is no good, and anything more than 225 lbs on deadlift ends up slipping out of the hook.  I'm basically using my thumb to put as much pressure on the part of hook in my palm to keep the hook from angling out (which lets the barbell drop out of the hook).  And even then, my thumb can't hold it for more than 8 reps.  I'm looking for something that does a better job.

Edited by bdckr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bdckr said:

Hope you get better soon.

Which hooks are you using, and are you happy with them?

I recently ruptured the extensor tendon on my right middle finger and need to have it in a splint to keep from bending most of the finger for the next 5 weeks.  Like you, no gripping with that hand, so I've been using these hooks for the last week  on chins and deads.  Anything more than bodyweight chins is no good, and anything more than 225 lbs on deadlift ends up slipping out of the hook.  I'm basically using my thumb to put as much pressure on the part of hook in my palm to keep the hook from angling out (which lets the barbell drop out of the hook).  And even then, my thumb can't hold it for more than 8 reps.  I'm looking for something that does a better job.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you recover soon as well. I bought these based on reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Lifting-Power-Training-Straps/dp/B07921M7YC

I’m still getting use to them. The most I’m used them for is 185 lb deadlifts. It’s kind of a weird feeling being pulled on from the wrist. I plan on experimenting with more weight soon. Nothing has slipped from them so far.

Thanks.  Will be interested in knowing how it does with heavier weights..  Looking at the picture, I wonder if you'll run into the same problem that I'm having -- because of the splint, I can't do much (any) wrist flexion into the hook/bar.  Because the inside length of the hook (as opposed to the free end) is so short on my hook (like it is on the one you linked), the attached part pushes out my palm as the weight gets heavier, meaning the free end opens up.  Hope that description makes sense?

I'm considering buying a different style where the hook 's attached end is longer, so it will be more stable and note rotate open, but I hate the idea of spending more on something that (hopefully) is only necessary for a few weeks.

Hey Chez, not being too much around makes me miss things! Damn irritating injury! Hope recovery goes well after surgery! sorry to hear of this. 

On 1/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, bdckr said:

Thanks.  Will be interested in knowing how it does with heavier weights..  Looking at the picture, I wonder if you'll run into the same problem that I'm having -- because of the splint, I can't do much (any) wrist flexion into the hook/bar.  Because the inside length of the hook (as opposed to the free end) is so short on my hook (like it is on the one you linked), the attached part pushes out my palm as the weight gets heavier, meaning the free end opens up.  Hope that description makes sense?

I'm considering buying a different style where the hook 's attached end is longer, so it will be more stable and note rotate open, but I hate the idea of spending more on something that (hopefully) is only necessary for a few weeks.

Swedish Strongman Fredrik Johansson lifted 300kg with a strap around his shoulder, perhaps it could be something for you guys?

There's more movies in his instragram on his setup.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Geralt said:

Hey Chez, not being too much around makes me miss things! Damn irritating injury! Hope recovery goes well after surgery! sorry to hear of this. 

Thanks Geralt. Injuries are annoying. I came back stronger from the last one though so I’ll try to do the same this time. I’ll take it as an opportunity to rededciate myself and focus on my goals.

• Like 2

Amazing speeches by the Rock and Arnold. I always watch motivational stuff like this especially when times are tough like now:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Surgery went well. Now time to heal 

57B899BA-8283-45F4-9984-E6ADC3C00464.jpeg

• Like 10

I'm very glad to hear that!  Enjoy the power- lounging while you can; you'll be stronger than ever in no time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I'm very glad to hear that!  Enjoy the power- lounging while you can; you'll be stronger than ever in no time.

Thanks Eric! I feel good today. Just a few tingles but no pain. Already thinking about when I’m going to the gym. I have always come back stronger from an injury and I hope to keep the streak alive 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Good luck healing up.

Thanks Don! You’re a bending beast my friend, you have my word I’ll be back stronger than ever. Keep killing it Don. You inspire me. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2