Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

argh. 3 workouts behind in the log again. I trained this past Saturday but it was a real quick workout since we had to help friends move last weekend. that workout isn't super important to log since it was so quick so lets focus on the last two which were great workouts:

Wednesday August 8th

Finally met up with my friend for a bench session. We have been on different schedules ever since I got back from my cruise so I have been hitting bench day alone. This was a freaking great workout. I had my quarterly board report during the day at work so I thought I would be fried but it turned out to be the opposite. I had so much energy and felt great. Even though I just hit grippers at the end of last week and thick bar Saturday, my hand felt great. I decided to have some fun tonight and try a coc #3.5 CCS:

Bench Press

5 warm ups - everything was feeling just super light

245 lbs - 3 sets of 4x. These felt like nothing. Just popping off my chest. 

285 lbs - 3x. Easy. Honestly, I thought about going for the 4th rep which I knew I could get but decided to save the energy. 

205 lbs - 15x. 5 lbs more than last week on this set and 3 more reps. energy is high. I feel good. I know its a good night to attempt the 3.5 ccs. 

Right Hand Grippers

went through my warm up grippers. Last warm up was my 172 lb COC #3.5. All warm ups done MMS. Then I decided to try the 172 CCS and I absolutely destroyed it. It felt like nothing.I even bumbled the set, held it closed and talked to the camera. I'm going to sign up for the cert and try at gripmas. Everyone there will give me extra adrenaline. Video of the close below. stopped there since its not gripper day. This was just for fun. 

Incline Bench

205 lbs - 3x

235 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 3x. felt smooth. I thought we were going to do another set so I was saving energy. I know I had 255 lbs for a triple also but my buddy wanted to keep it moving so we switched to arms. 

Machine Preacher Curls

100 lbs - 10x

110 lbs -10

120 lbs - 8x

130 lbs - 8x

V Bar Press Downs

we were moving fast at this point so I don't remember the weights but last 2 sets were with the stack. 4 sets of 10x

Rope Triceps Extensions

Again, don't remember the weight since we were moving but 3 sets of 10x 

Here is the 172 #3.5 CCS close:

Friday August 10th

Almost didn't go tonight. I laid down after dinner and it felt great but I'm busy again this weekend so I have to. I dragged myself to the gym and rallied for a good session. Got there late but stayed until the gym closed.  

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

3 warm up sets

150 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 3x

190 lbs - 6x. I had 1-2 more reps but I decided to save it. 

2.5" Crusher - no chalk because my crush is crazy smooth and unseasoned

147.5 lbs - single each hand

150 lbs - 2 singles each hand

137.5 lbs - 2 doubles each hand

132.5 lbs - double each hand

122.5 lbs - 3 triples each hand

DO Sumo Deadlifts with Manus Grips - 1.25" bar with the grips makes it roughly 2.5" diameter

1 warm up

235 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 3x

265 lbs - 2x. 3rd half way up. Hands are a little fried

Lat Pull downs with Manus grips- Thickest bar making it 2.5" diameter

170 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Close grip Cable Rows with Manus Grips - Again using the thickest attachment making it 2.5" handles

190 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Looks like your log is going to need a new title soon man.😲

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Looks like your log is going to need a new title soon man.😲

Thanks man. I'm so committed right now. Its time to get this cert!

• 3 weeks later...

Been training but got into a bad habit of not logging. Going to log the last 3 workouts in two posts and just try and stay on track with logging from now on. 

Wednesday 8/22 - great Chest and arms workout 

Bench Press

5 warm up sets

245 lbs - 3 sets of 3x

295 lbs - double 

315 lbs - single. Post bicep tear PR! Nice! Haven’t hit this in years. Wasn’t going to try it but my buddy talked me into it. It moved fast also.

Dumbbell Bench Press

95 lb DBs - 5x

110 lb DBs - 5x

120 lb DBs - 3x

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 8x

90 lb DBs - 8x

105 lb DBs - 6x

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press negatives with partner adding resistance

Long name I know. My buddy wanted to try this. Basically your partner pushes down on the bar while you do a 10 sec negative. When the bar is on the chest, he lets go and you press normally and then you repeat. Then after your shot, you get a couple normal reps. We did this with both 135 and 185 getting like 5-8 negatives and a couple normal reps. Brutal 

Standing alternating DB Bicep Curls

40 lb DBs - 8x each side 

45 lb DBs -2 sets of 8x each side

Seated Overhead Tricep Machine 

3 sets of 10. Not sure of the weights. Just following my friend and doing what he did.

V Bar Pressdowns

20x. Again not sure of the weight. Just using whatever weight he loaded.

Thursday 8/23

Standing Overhead Press

140 lbs - 5x

160 lbs - 5x

185 lbs - 8x

2.5” Crusher - slick crusher so no chalk

147.5 lbs - single left and right

150 lbs - single left and right

152.5 lbs - single left and right. Think this is a PR on my slick crusher

142.5 lbs - double each hand

137.5 lbs - 2 doubles each hand 

127.5 lbs - 3 triples each hand

127.5 lbs - singles each hand with 5 sec hold left and 8 sec hold right 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Sunday 8/26

every exercise listed with Manus grips is 2.5” diameter since I picked the thickest implement so the Manus grips would spread

DO deadlifts with Manus grips

2 warm ups

235 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 3x

275 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 3x

Lat Pulldowns Manus grips

170 lbs - 8x

180 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

Close Grip Cables Rows with Manus grips

170 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

Leg Extensions 

155 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

185 lbs - 10x

200 lbs - 10x

Lying Hamstring Curls

110 lbs - 10x

125 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

Extensors 

IM red and white - 4 sets of 50x each hand

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Sunday 8/26

every exercise listed with Manus grips is 2.5” diameter since I picked the thickest implement so the Manus grips would spread

DO deadlifts with Manus grips

2 warm ups

235 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 3x

275 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 3x

Lat Pulldowns Manus grips

170 lbs - 8x

180 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

Close Grip Cables Rows with Manus grips

170 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

Leg Extensions 

155 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

185 lbs - 10x

200 lbs - 10x

Lying Hamstring Curls

110 lbs - 10x

125 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

Extensors 

IM red and white - 4 sets of 50x each hand

Do you use red and white hand bands at the same time?💪🏻

3 hours ago, Glenni said:

Do you use red and white hand bands at the same time?💪🏻

Yep. I put the red first and white on top. I have been lazy with extensor training Lately so I’m ramping up now. Next workout I’ll use the red and green. I have worked up to the red and blue before but then get off track. I need to stay consistent this time since it is so important to keep tendinitis at bay and keep the arm balanced. I think getting up to double red is important in my mm8 training 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 3:25 AM, Chez said:

Yep. I put the red first and white on top. I have been lazy with extensor training Lately so I’m ramping up now. Next workout I’ll use the red and green. I have worked up to the red and blue before but then get off track. I need to stay consistent this time since it is so important to keep tendinitis at bay and keep the arm balanced. I think getting up to double red is important in my mm8 training 

Do you always do 50rep with extensor bands?

6 hours ago, Glenni said:

Do you always do 50rep with extensor bands?

I hover in the 30-50 rep range most often and sometimes I go up to 60-75. Usually when a certain resistance starts feeling too routine like red-white right now, I’ll make the jump to the next level (red-green). When I first make that jump I may start at 30 reps and up it as it gets easier. I repeat when I move up in resistence again (low reps at first until I can up it then start over with the next resistance etc)

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I hover in the 30-50 rep range most often and sometimes I go up to 60-75. Usually when a certain resistance starts feeling too routine like red-white right now, I’ll make the jump to the next level (red-green). When I first make that jump I may start at 30 reps and up it as it gets easier. I repeat when I move up in resistence again (low reps at first until I can up it then start over with the next resistance etc)

Thanks👍 it's great to know how you do things, so I can try follow your footsteps and hopefully get stronger💪🏻

How often do you think it's optimal to train with hand bands?

Have you tryed IM outer limit loops or other impliments you can lift weight with, that train the hand extensor?

7 hours ago, Glenni said:

Thanks👍 it's great to know how you do things, so I can try follow your footsteps and hopefully get stronger💪🏻

How often do you think it's optimal to train with hand bands?

Have you tryed IM outer limit loops or other impliments you can lift weight with, that train the hand extensor?

I always love talking grippers so feel free to ask anything. I usually train extensors right after training grippers. I’ll do all my weight lifting and grippers at the gym and hit the bands when I get home. I haven’t really tried the other ways to train extensors. I developed really bad tendinitis early on in training right after closing the ghp 8 for the first time because I wasn’t doing any extensor training. My arm was literally going numb in the gym so I started doing the bands and it never came back. I also noticed it help my grip progress on grippers and other lifts so I stuck with them. I get forgotful and sometimes and don’t hit them but I need to fix that. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Great chest and arms session last night:

Bench Press

4 warm ups

245 lbs - 3 sets of 3x

300 lbs - easy double! Nice! In a great pressing groove right now

Dumbbell Bench Press

100 lb DBs - 3x

115 lb DBs - 3x

125 lb DBs - 3x

110 lb DBs - 8x

Incline Hammer Strength Press

70 lbs + doubled red band per side - 5x. Slow on the way down

95 lbs + doubled red band per side - 2 sets of 4x slow on the way down

70 lbs per side - 10x

Machine Preacher Curls

100 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 8x

Seated Overhead Triceps Ext Machine

90 lbs - 8x

100 lbs - 8x

110 lbs - 8

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I’m so far behind in the log again but I have everything written down and plan on catching up with one big update. Been training hard and works been busy. Had a great chest and arms workout tonight. I hit 315 on bench two weeks ago but didn’t video so I decided to try again tonight and get video. I was tired tonight but it went up no problem. Presses are going great right now. Here is the video:

Ya, I know it’s not impressive for my size  (nothing I do is 😜) but I’m happy with the progress lately. Onwards and upwards.....

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ya, I’m so far behind in the log again but I have everything written down and plan on catching up with one big update. Been training hard and works been busy. Had a great chest and arms workout tonight. I hit 315 on bench two weeks ago but didn’t video so I decided to try again tonight and get video. I was tired tonight but it went up no problem. Presses are going great right now. Here is the video:

Ya, I know it’s not impressive for my size  (nothing I do is 😜) but I’m happy with the progress lately. Onwards and upwards.....

Looked like you had at least 3 reps in you. I haven’t done a bench press since like 2005. Haha. Have no desire to. Nice lift.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Looked like you had at least 3 reps in you. I haven’t done a bench press since like 2005. Haha. Have no desire to. Nice lift.

Thanks Joe. I know you were a monster power lifter. I’m training with a guy who’s 190 bodyweight and doubles 405 on the bench.. It’s been a great motivation for me to get my butt kicked by a guy much smaller than me. Now that I’m finally healthy I hope to really push the numbers this upcoming year. Trying to really build myself up to go after the MM8. Just want to be stronger everywhere now that I’m healthy to chase goals 

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Thanks Joe. I know you were a monster power lifter. I’m training with a guy who’s 190 bodyweight and doubles 405 on the bench.. It’s been a great motivation for me to get my butt kicked by a guy much smaller than me. Now that I’m finally healthy I hope to really push the numbers this upcoming year. Trying to really build myself up to go after the MM8. Just want to be stronger everywhere now that I’m healthy to chase goals 

Dude that’s the key! Like we spoke about last night! Too many Gripsters don’t maximize their potential by doing traditional powerlifting/weightlifting moves. That’s pretty much what I attribute my fast progress at this. All the strength I built up over the years with deadlifts, squats, benches and cleans/presses. Those meat and potatoes are the base for any strength endeavors one would attempt. Do those and you can excel at anything. Your making a smart move. 

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

Chez, You smoked that💪 Well-done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Chez, You smoked that💪 Well-done. 

Thanks Mike! I have seen your close grip bench press videos. I know you got tons of pressing power.

• Like 1

Time to stop being so lazy and get back to logging. I'm two weeks behind in the log. Work is just so busy and I'm so tired when I'm done training that I have been forgetting to log. I have been bad with logging ever since getting back from the cruise. Decided not to type up the previous two weeks and just focus on Saturday's session and get better with logging moving forward. I met with the NYC crew for a gripper session this past Saturday. I told Vinnie I would train grippers with him and teach him how to set and go over my training routine. I'm trying to help him cert he #3 by next spring. Hes not that far off. I think it will help push me as well. Here is how the session went:

Right Hand MMS Grippers

194.5 lb Super Elite - Single. Felt easy

194.5 lb Super Elite - 2 Doubles. Both felt clean and easy. At this point I told everyone that I would try a triple which would tie my all time best with this gripper. 

194.5 lb Super Elite - 4 Reps! Brand New Rep PR with This gripper! I slammed the handles and smiled on the third so I went for the 4th and got it. To be honest this didn't really feel that hard. If I went all out maybe 5 reps was possible. My previous 3 rep pr took everything but I had more in the tank here which is a great feeling. Nice little rep PR! Next time, I'll train grippers with the guys again and if I'm feeling it go for a new max close PR. 

176 lb MM3 - double. Pretty easy. Need to go a little harder

180 lb COC #3.5 - 2 doubles. Ya buddy. Fatigue setting in now

176 lb MM3 - double.

165 lb Elite - 4 triples.  

Right Hand RBA Negatives

7-6 Setting - negative and 5 second hold

7-7 Setting - Negative and 5 second hold

7-8 Setting - Negative and 5 second hold

8-8 Setting - Negative and 5 second hold

Other Highlight for me was setting a new PR on the Moon Top at 45.1 lbs with a super high pull. Missed it several times with partial lifts and came back to dominate it. Only my third time training it. I wish I would have spent more time on this but its been a couple busy months for me so I'm not as prepared for King Kong as I would have liked. oh well. I'm go in fighting as anyway and have fun. 

Lots of other great stuff went down at the session. Read Nate's log for his write up and more information. 

I feel like I'm right on the cusp of another gripper surge. Time to buckle down and attack to hunt down the MM8! In a great training groove right now. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Time to stop being so lazy and get back to logging. I'm two weeks behind in the log. Work is just so busy and I'm so tired when I'm done training that I have been forgetting to log. I have been bad with logging ever since getting back from the cruise. Decided not to type up the previous two weeks and just focus on Saturday's session and get better with logging moving forward. I met with the NYC crew for a gripper session this past Saturday. I told Vinnie I would train grippers with him and teach him how to set and go over my training routine. I'm trying to help him cert he #3 by next spring. Hes not that far off. I think it will help push me as well. Here is how the session went:

Right Hand MMS Grippers

194.5 lb Super Elite - Single. Felt easy

194.5 lb Super Elite - 2 Doubles. Both felt clean and easy. At this point I told everyone that I would try a triple which would tie my all time best with this gripper. 

194.5 lb Super Elite - 4 Reps! Brand New Rep PR with This gripper! I slammed the handles and smiled on the third so I went for the 4th and got it. To be honest this didn't really feel that hard. If I went all out maybe 5 reps was possible. My previous 3 rep pr took everything but I had more in the tank here which is a great feeling. Nice little rep PR! Next time, I'll train grippers with the guys again and if I'm feeling it go for a new max close PR. 

176 lb MM3 - double. Pretty easy. Need to go a little harder

180 lb COC #3.5 - 2 doubles. Ya buddy. Fatigue setting in now

176 lb MM3 - double.

165 lb Elite - 4 triples.  

Right Hand RBA Negatives

7-6 Setting - negative and 5 second hold

7-7 Setting - Negative and 5 second hold

7-8 Setting - Negative and 5 second hold

8-8 Setting - Negative and 5 second hold

Other Highlight for me was setting a new PR on the Moon Top at 45.1 lbs with a super high pull. Missed it several times with partial lifts and came back to dominate it. Only my third time training it. I wish I would have spent more time on this but its been a couple busy months for me so I'm not as prepared for King Kong as I would have liked. oh well. I'm go in fighting as anyway and have fun. 

Lots of other great stuff went down at the session. Read Nate's log for his write up and more information. 

I feel like I'm right on the cusp of another gripper surge. Time to buckle down and attack to hunt down the MM8! In a great training groove right now. 

Awesome power...when is the Cert happening? :)

7 hours ago, kasparov said:

Awesome power...when is the Cert happening? :)

Thanks dude. It’s hard to guess when I’ll be ready since gripper surges come out of no where sometimes. Like Saturday, I had no idea I would feel that on. I’ll know when the time is right though. The next Gripper I have to conquer in my collection before the MM8 is my 203 lb COC 4. Need to close that in training before the MM8

• Like 1

Took the day off from lifting yesterday so had to make up some stuff tonight. Quick and fast workout after Mexican food and margaritas 😜.

Leg Extensions 

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x 

210 lbs - 10x

- still dealing with achillies tendinitis so doing my best to work around it. 

Lat Pulldowns with Manus grips and no chalk

180 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

200 lbs - 8x

Hyperextensions 

Bodyweight - 8x

BW + 25 lb plate - 3 sets of 8x

- Low back has been sore so I took it easy on it tonight 

Close Grip Cable Rows with Manus Grips and no chalk

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

Strict Double Hand Plate Wrist Curls 

45 lb Plate - 3 sets of 12x

Single Hand Plate Reverse Wrist Curls

10 + 5 lb plates - 3 sets of 12x each hand

Machine Rear Laterals 

130 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 8x

I’ll hit some extensors before bed. 4 sets of 50 each hand with a red and green band 

Just got back from a great and brutal chest and arms workout:

Bench Press 

4 warm ups 

245 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 2x

265 lbs - 2x

320 lbs - 1x. Got it pretty smooth despite not being in the best position. Getting stronger 💪 

275 lbs - 3x

275 lbs 3x

255 lbs - 5x

260 lbs - 5x

Incline Bench Press

1 warm up 

185 lbs - 5x

205 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 3x

Floor Bench Press off low pins with pauses - elbows inches off ground 

1 warm up 

275 lbs - 3 sets of 3x. Buddy had to put his finger tips on the last rep

Seated Overhead Triceps Ext Machine 

lost track of the weights. Just followed my friend and did his weight. Sets of 10x, 8x, 8x, 6x, 4x. 

Seated Dips Machibe 

Again lost track of weights but sets of 10x, 10x, 15x

Preacher Curl Machine 

100 lbs - 10x

110 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

• Like 2

Took off Friday and Monday to take an extended weekend trip to Washington DC.

just finished this workout in the hotel gym which is pretty decent:

DO Smith Machine Rack Pulls with Yes 4 All Grips

bunch of warm ups to feel out the weight

315 lbs - 2 singles with holds at the top

325 lbs - 2 singles with holds at the top

335 lbs - 2 singles with holds at the top

345 lbs - 2 singles with holds at the top

355 lbs - 2 singles with holds at the top

- the machine says the bar is 25 lbs so I factored that into the weights listed. Bar is super thick making this about 2.5 inch diameter with the grips.

Lat Pull Down Machine with Yes 4 All grips

115 lbs - 8x

125 lbs - 8 

135 lbs - 8x

145 lbs - 8x

- handles on this machine is even thicker making this over 2.5 inch with the grips so it was super hard

One Arm Cable Rows with Yes 4 All Grips

72.5 lbs - 8x each hand

77.5 lbs - 8x each hand 

82.5 lbs - 8x each hand

87.5 lbs - 8x each hand

2 Hand Strict Plate Wrist Curls 

45 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x

1 Hand Strict Plate Reverse Wirst Curls 

10 + 5 lb plates - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Edited by Chez