Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

I think it’s the gluten free wine... leads to lean muscle tissue growth for sure! 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Light quick workout today. Going light this week to make sure I’m fresh for the comp.

Bench Press

225 - 5 sets of 5x

Standing Overhead Barbell Shoulder Press

135 lbs - 3 sets of 10x as explosively as possible

Cable Rows

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 10x

Lat Pulldowns

160 lbs - 10x

180 lbs - 8x

200 lbs - 8x

1 Arm Machine Curls 

150 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each arm 

Family party today to celebrate my dads birthday. Sangria may be involved......

Light workout tonight. My last before the comp this weekend:

Bench Press 

245 - 5 sets of triples. Cake 

Machine Rear Laterals

110 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Leg Extensions

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

- right Achilles still tight. I have a podiatrist appointment tomorrow anyway so I’ll have him look at it.

Lying Hamstring Curls 

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

- that’s it. Comp on Saturday. My next post will be my post comp write up. The work has been done. Now I just need to be smart with my warms ups and weight selections. Let’s do this!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

I spent all of yesterday relaxing and recovering from the competition. I plan on writing a detailed comp review once Nate posts the results (it will have all my attempt weights so it will help me remember all my attempts). But for right now I will mention that I came in third place overall, second was Aaron Corcorran, First was John McCarter. I set all time (including training lifts) PRs in the IM hub (I ran out of attempts and had more in the tank also) and IM Blockbuster. I set competition PRs in 20mm block grippers and IM Little Big Horn so I'm happy with my performance. I made two mental mistakes which was coming in too light on the hub which lead to me hitting my last attempt to easily (I believe I was good for another 5 lbs) and making too big a jump on my last IM LBH attempt which lead to it slipping at lock out (1 kilo less would have been perfect). These errors happen and all you can do is try to minimize them through competition experience. It was a great atmosphere with everyone cheering for one another. I know Several PRs and some records were set. More to come..................   

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

I spent all of yesterday relaxing and recovering from the competition. I plan on writing a detailed comp review once Nate posts the results (it will have all my attempt weights so it will help me remember all my attempts). But for right now I will mention that I came in third place overall, second was Aaron Corcorran, First was John McCarter. I set all time (including training lifts) PRs in the IM hub (I ran out of attempts and had more in the tank also) and IM Blockbuster. I set competition PRs in 20mm block grippers and IM Little Big Horn so I'm happy with my performance. I made two mental mistakes which was coming in too light on the hub which lead to me hitting my last attempt to easily (I believe I was good for another 5 lbs) and making too big a jump on my last IM LBH attempt which lead to it slipping at lock out (1 kilo less would have been perfect). These errors happen and all you can do is try to minimize them through competition experience. It was a great atmosphere with everyone cheering for one another. I know Several PRs and some records were set. More to come..................   

Great job Chez! Looks like it was a great comp.

• Thanks 1

Alright. Time for my comp write up. So this Saturday I competed in SJ's 4ForFeb. At one point it was looking like 30+ people would be competing, but due to some last minute cancellations 22 actually showed up. I actually prefer this size comp. Don't get me wrong, Sj4 was awesome but I prefer a 20-25 person comp so things aren't as crazy and you can actually watch everyone's lifts. When you have multiple platforms being run, there are issues with equipment consistency and its impossible to watch everyone's lifts. Here is a quick recap of my performance by event:

Event 1 - 20 mm Block Grippers

So grippers are obviously my specialty. Even if you don't know me, you can tell by the name of this log that I love crush. However, John McCarter and Aaron Corcorran were competing and both have been strong on grippers in the past. I wasn't sure what their current gripper level was though so I was confident but not overly so. I did catch Josh Henze predicting Aaron would take grippers (I see everything Josh). Up for grabs was the awesome gripper trophy Josh made for the winner of the event. I would be lying if I didn't want that trophy as soon as I saw it. I'm not at peak strength for grippers right now. My peak came month back in October when I doubled my 194+ lb Super Elite and then killed it for several more singles. I really destroyed this gripper during that session. However, I had working in the mid to high 190s for a while at that point and my CNS was getting fired so I decided to take a step back and try to ramp up for this competition (my first time trying this strategy). My timing was off though and I didn't peak in time. I did get on a roll the last couple weeks and my last session before this comp was 3 singles with the 194 super elite after one single with my 190 lb MM5 so my crush was still fairly strong. Here is how the attempts went:

Attempt 1 - 180 lbs RGC: I was able to get a good warm up because Anthony Clarino was kind enough to let me pick up his portable ironmind squats racks to bring to the comp. I need a compound movement to get my CNS going to maximize my crush performance. I didn't have this available at SJ4 and it definitely effected my performance. I have been dealing with a strained achilles though so I keep the squats light and alternated with standing overhead press. I knew it was working when I broke out in a nice sweat (yes, i sweat a lot not matter what but you know what I mean:)). All the warm up gripper closes felt great including my last which was my 172 lb COC #3.5. Every close was a dominating fast close and I was smiling and even talking to myself. I decided to open with Nate's 180 lb COC #3.5. This should be an easy close for me and I wanted to build up my confidence. Boom! I absolutely destroyed it and i believe I even made a face like "this is a joke" and told the crowd "that was easy!" I think this was a great strategy because I got super confident at this point. 

Attempt 2 - 190 lbs RGC  - After my last session, this is where I believed I would end up because I knew all of nate's grippers from 180-low 200s. Even though I closed my 194 for 3 straight singles last training session, Those were MMS and this is with a paused 20mm block swipe. On top of that, I was actually judging everyone's attempts so I was standing around a lot. Normally I would be in the background keeping warm and psyching myself up while waiting my turn. I got the close. It wasn't a max attempt but not easy either. This is actually a mini comp PR. My best 20 mm comp close prior to this was my 189 and change gripper (chris rice rating with the decimal point). Silly PR I know but I'll take it. I have closed my 192 (cannon rating) and 194+ (chris Rice rating) in training with a 20 mm block though. Hard to match training PRs at comps.    

Attempt 3 - 195 lbs RGC - This is a healthy jump at this point and I knew with would be an absolute max attempt for me at this point in my training. It was the next available gripper so I had no choice. I got a good set and gave it hell but the judge informed me that I missed by 1/8". That stings! I knew it was good attempt. I got light headed and dizzy. I fell to the floor. People thought I browned out but I didn't. I almost did. I put myself on the floor because I was afraid of falling on something that could hurt me.

Attempt 4 - 195 lbs RGC - no choice but to try it again. Unfortunately I got a horrible set this time and had no chance to close the gripper. I squeezed a little but knew it was a waste of time and quit so I wouldn't expand unnecessary energy.   

Note - I was third on the NAGS top 100 list for this event going into the comp based on my previous comp PR and I stayed there because I only improved a fraction of a pound. I really want to take second from Tim Struse who closed a 191.85 back in 2011. I know that I would have closed 192-193 this comp if it was available. Oh well. The new plan is to peak on grippers for nationals in June and take down the 195 there! The nationals set goes by 5 lb increments so there is a 190 and 195 in that set as well. more importantly, I need to cert the MM7 this year. My gripper sessions are going to get more brutal and intense to make sure I achieve both these goals. I plan on increasing the sets in the lower rep ranges and dropping the higher rep sets. Its time to strike while I'm in a groove. 

Event 2 - IM hub

My old contest hub PR was 72 lbs which a hit years back the last time King Kong had the hub. The hub fell out of favor in comps after that event though because of disputes over the correct hand placement so I only recently started to train it again when I learned of this comp. My strength came back quickly though and I thought I had a chance to break my PR at the comp. I got even more confident when I tried Nate's hub. It was the best seasoned hub I have ever touched. The thing was pure white. Like I always tell people my equipment never seasons. Most if it looks almost new. Friends have made comments in the past when coming over for training session and when I bring the implements to comps for warm ups. If I was going to PR now was the time. I felt solid in warm ups. however, I was only able to use Nate's hub for a couple very light warm ups because I had to finish judging grippers and Tim and his girlfriend showed up late. During this, the other competitors warmed up with Nate's hub. I had to continue warming up with another hub because they needed to start the official lower weight attempts with Nate's device. The other hub was better than mine but not as good as Nate's so I still wasn't sure how I would pull with the higher numbers on Nate's hub. because of this I played it safe and started lighter than I should have. On top of that, there was a weight calculation error that effected everyone. You can read about it in the results thread. Basically 6kg was used for the bare implement weight when it was really 6 lbs. This meant that everyone thought they were lifting 7.2 lbs more than they actually were. So I actually started really light. Here are my "actual" attempts which reflect the adjustment for the actual implement weight of 6 lbs:

Attempt 1 - 25.8 KG (56.879 lbs): This felt crazy easy but it was nice to get a lift in. I almost bombed with the Euro at gripmas so this helped get the jitters and make sure I didn't repeat that performance. 

Attempt 2 - 28.8 KG (63.493 lbs): again super easy. 

Attempt 3 - 30.8 KG (67.902 lbs): again super easy. 

Attempt 4 - 32.8 KG (72.312 lbs): I remember holding at the top and looking at Delmar then putting it down confident I dominated it. This felt rock solid in my hand. Here is the thing. Because of the weight calculation error I thought I was attempting around 79.5 lbs. I knew this hub had great texture but I felt like I had like 5-7.5 lbs more in me and I was amazed. I was actually pissed that I started too light and left points on the board. I was semi okay with it though because I have never used this hub, i thought I set a 7.5 lb PR and I know a couple lbs on the hub can make a big difference. After learning of the actual weight, I'm still pissed I left point on the board and believe I can pull a legit 80 with this hub. This is still technically a .321 lb PR. Another baby PR. When I made my previous post I still thought I pulled a 7.5 lb PR. I only learned of the weight issue today. oh well, a PR is a PR. This was the third best pull at the comp behind Aaron and John so I can't be too mad.  

Event 3 - IM Blockbuster

So I originally owned a blockbuster years ago but sold it not long after because it has never been contested at a NAGs comp and I was trying consolidate my equipment. I asked for one for Christmas because of this comp and my family gave it to me a month early so I could get a jump start training. Mine is pretty new and slick as hell. I PRed a couple weeks back with 72.5 lbs. I didn't know what to expect and would have been happy with 70-75 lbs on this due to the limited experience with it. they had both Nate's and Tim's in the warm up area and both were way more seasoned than mine. We had a tough time deciding which was better but they chose Tim's for the official lifts. No weight issues this time because they caught the implement weight issue right at the start of the event after two competitors made their first attempts. They were allowed to do them over. Here is how it went:

Attempt 1 - 32 KG (70.548 lbs). I wanted a safe opener but I wanted to be more aggressive than with the hub because I now knew how much more seasoned this equipment was than mine. Got it no problem. 

Attempt 2 - 34 KG (74.957 lbs). I started higher but still wanted to take small jumps because I learned in training that i'm better with small drops on this implement instead of take big jumps. Just like the hub. Got this no problem. 

Attempt 3 - 36 KG (79.366 lbs). Good! not easy though but more in the tank. Well above my training PR. 

Attempt 4 - 38 KG (83.776 lbs). I debated between 37 KG and 38 KG for my final attempt. I decided to go for it since I was too conservative with the hub and chose 38 kg. It wasn't easy but I got it. This felt right at my max though. Nate even made a comment that it looked like it was starting to slip but I stopped it by squeezing harder. This was a great move because 3 other guys had made 37 on their 3rd attempt and missed either 38 or 39 on their last. I ended up with the third best lift in the event behind both Aaron and John again. really happy with how this went. The best you can hope for at a comp is to plan your attempts so you just make your final attempt. I think I would have missed 1 KG more. Much better planning than the hub and I narrowly beat out the 3 next guys.

Event 4 - IM LBH

Alright, its no secret I hate these vertical friction lifts. I torn my right bicep back in late October 2015 during my last training session before King Kong. My road to recovery has been long and hard but made me mentally stronger. The horn is also a vertical lift but not as dangerous as the V bar in my opinion due to a generally lower weight being lifted and the fact that the horn moves on a caribiner while the V bar locks your arm in place. Again, I haven't touched this implement in years since the last KK i competed in. My old contest PR was 165 lbs and change but I have hit 171.5 lbs in training and both were on my slick implement (again, all my stuff is slick). I started to train it again as soon as i learned it would be in the comp. I have cautious every session to have my arm straight, palm facing me and lifting it slow instead of yanking it. I still get nervous during these vertical lifts though. I was using my left hand since its best on the horn. Of course, I didn't want making bicep repair scars however. During warm ups I felt a strange stretch and that got me worried. I decided to hit some bicep curls to warm the arm up and borrowed one of Aaron's bicep sleeves to keep it warm. I planned on being conservative because its better to leave with an attached bicep instead of torn one due to stubborn ego lifting. On top of that, I was accustomed to pulling the horn first and fresh in training and this is now the 4th event so fatigue was settling in. Here is how it went:

Attempt 1 - 78 KG (158.733 lbs) - Good lift. no problem. Nice to get on the board. 

Attempt 2 - 75 KG (165.347 lbs) - good lift

Attempt 3 - 77 KG (169.756 lbs) - good lift. New comp PR. not easy but more in the tank.

Attempt 4 - 80 KG (176.370 lbs) - I had to choose between 80 and 79 for my final attempt and I decided to go for it and picked 80 kg because I was still kicking myself over the hub. Got it locked out but it slipped at the top before I could put it down. Dammit! This would have been an absolute PR (including training). Its alright though. I knew it was going to be my worst event. Still got the 6th best lift. 79 KG would have been perfect and moved me up one place in this event. Oh well. Sometimes you have to risk it and go big.

Overall Performance and after the comp

Finished in third place overall behind Aaron and John. I finished only 11 points behind Aaron but John dominated the field with 3 first place finishes and one second (to me on grippers). really happy with my overall performance. I didn't participate in the after comp events because I was exhausted. so I watched and chatted instead. Anton won a new 178 lb cannon rated coc #3.5 and brought it over to me, Anthony and Vinnie and I closed it wide set (my set finger was sore) no problem in front of them. Felt good to dominate a stout 3.5 even after a long day of lifting.

Next comp is nationals in June and I need to cert the MM7 this year. I'll rest for a couple days and then its back to the grind to get stronger! 

I'll fix any typos in this post tomorrow. I'm tired now. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Congrats Chez! Nice wright up.

Thanks! Its nice to finally be healthy! Injuries have derailed my progress for so long. 

Back to training after resting a couple days. Starting real light and then slowly ramping up to nationals. Same strategy. Worked well for this past comp. 

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

70 lb DBs - 10x

75 lb DBs - 10x

80 lb DBs - 10x

85 lb DBs - 10x

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Wide Grip

185 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Closer grip (my normal grip)

185 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

Leg Extensions

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

- Right achilles still tight so laying off the squats. My podiatrist appointment was cancelled so rescheduled to next week. Playing it safe till then. 

• Like 2

Been without power since Friday because of a storm. Here is yesterday’s training:

1 Arm Cable Rows with manus grips

90 lbs - 2 sets of 8x each hand

100 lbs - 1 set of 8x each hand

1 Arm Lat Pulldowns with manus grips

80 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

1 Arm Dumbbell Rows with manus grips

80 lbs - 1 set of 10x each hand

80 lbs 2 sets of 8x each hand 

1 Arm Low Cable Rows with manus grips 

150 lbs - 3 sets of 8x with manus grips 

Standing Alternating DB Bicep Curls

40 lb DBs - 8x each arm 

45 lb DBs - 8x each arm

50 lb DBs - 8x each arm

Hyper extensions 

BW - 10x

BW + 10 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

Ab Crunch Machine

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Great pump in forearms and biceps from this workout 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Today’s training:

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

135 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 5x

175 lbs - 9x

- first day stating 5/3/1 again for the shoulder press. Light day

Machine Rear Laterals

120 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

2 Hand Strict Plate Wrist Curls

35 lb Plate - 3 sets of 15x 

1 Hand Strict Reverse Plate Wrist Curls

10 lbs Plate - 3 sets of 20x each hand

Leg Press Calf Raises 

Empty sled - 50x forwards, outwards and inwards

90 lbs + sled - 3 sets of 50x forwards

- this was active recovery for the Achilles.

doctors appointment Tuesday. 

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Just got back from my podiatrist and he confirmed my achilles issue. I have achilles tendinopathy which I thought was the issue. I think its low grade though since its not bad. Just tight and a little tender at times. I'm just glad I caught it soon. Got recasted for orthotics to prevent it in the future (my cruddy feet have caused so many issues with my lower body). Been using over the counter orthotics but they aren't strong enough for my heavy body weight added to the weight I lift. My doc told me they are just getting crushed since they aren't as ridged.  Got a script for 4 weeks of physical therapy. My buddy who is a power lifter recommended a PT in my area who is good with strength athletes. Going to start right away. Its important to listen to your body. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just got back from my podiatrist and he confirmed my achilles issue. I have achilles tendinopathy which I thought was the issue. I think its low grade though since its not bad. Just tight and a little tender at times. I'm just glad I caught it soon. Got recasted for orthotics to prevent it in the future (my cruddy feet have caused so many issues with my lower body). Been using over the counter orthotics but they aren't strong enough for my heavy body weight added to the weight I lift. My doc told me they are just getting crushed since they aren't as ridged.  Got a script for 4 weeks of physical therapy. My buddy who is a power lifter recommended a PT in my area who is good with strength athletes. Going to start right away. Its important to listen to your body. 

Hope that get sorted for you buddy. It's been awhile dealing with your foot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Hope that get sorted for you buddy. It's been awhile dealing with your foot.

Thanks man. unfortunately I have horrible foot genetics in my family. 

Had a snow day yesterday because of the storm but it honestly wasn't that bad. We have a big powerlifting gym a couple towns over where two of the best powerlifters in the world train (Larry Wheels and Kevin Oak). my buddy has been wanting to check it out so yesterday we pulled the trigger and went and signed up for the month. It was awesome. They have competition benches, up to 200 lb DBs, tires for flipping etc. Here is what we did:

Dumbbell Bench Press

100 lb DBs - 5x

110 lb DBs - 5x

115 lb DBs - 5x

120 lbs DBs - 3x.

I haven't done heavy flat DB Bench in a long time. I'm off technique wise. I felt like I got out of the groove when I feel back on the bench since I'm not use to holding heavy DBs and falling back to a bench. My buddy wanted to do this first because hes a great bench presser (425 lb Presser who weighs 190) and the gym we normally go to doesn't have heavy enough DBs for him. He worked up to the 160s, but struggled and got a better set with the 150s. 

Bench Press

225 lbs - 5x

245 lbs - 5x

265 lbs - 1x

275 lbs - 1x

285 lbs - 1x

295 lbs - 1x

- This was my first time using a competition quality bench press and it was awesome! I felt rock solid on it and wasn't sliding around and I feel it was wider which gave me better stability. 

Incline Bench Press

225 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 2 sets of 3x

- Much better incline bench than at the other gym

Bench Press 3 board Press

- I only did a set or two and I don't really remember the weigh but it was light. I just wanted to try since I never have and they had the boards. My buddy worked up 425. 

After this we started to use the machines and we moved fast so I Don't remember the weights. For the most part, I let him pick the weight and did the same amount and we did between 2-4 sets for each and 8-15 reps. Here are the machines we hit taking very little breaks:

1) Machine Biceps Preacher Curls

2) Machine Triceps Extensions super set with Rope pulley extensions 

3) 4 types of hammer strength back machines. Pull downs facing away from the machine, pulldowns facing toward the machine, Rows, Low angles rows. 

4) Behind the head chamber bared triceps extensions

5) Leg Extensions

6) One arm Chamber bared preacher curls 

7) Machine Dips

- We were there for like 2.5 hrs. This guy loves marathon session. Great workout. After we got food. Here are pictures of the gym:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mount+vernon+barbell&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQ3bvh8NzZAhUqtlkKHWoLAq4Q_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=974 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, Chez said:

Thanks man. unfortunately I have horrible foot genetics in my family. 

We may be related! Mine are awful as well so I feel your pain (literally). I  have broken a bone in my foot on 2 separate occasions and did nothing whatsoever to cause it, other than simply walking around in daily life lol. First time it just randomly started hurting one day....battled through the pain off and on for a few months. Eventually went to podiatrist for a X-ray cause I couldn’t stand it anymore...and it’s broken! Lol. I also have the custom orthotics now. Never had Achilles problem though. Mine is primarily the ball of the foot area and heel.

Edited by Booze

On 3/8/2018 at 11:11 AM, Booze said:

We may be related! Mine are awful as well so I feel your pain (literally). I  have broken a bone in my foot on 2 separate occasions and did nothing whatsoever to cause it, other than simply walking around in daily life lol. First time it just randomly started hurting one day....battled through the pain off and on for a few months. Eventually went to podiatrist for a X-ray cause I couldn’t stand it anymore...and it’s broken! Lol. I also have the custom orthotics now. Never had Achilles problem though. Mine is primarily the ball of the foot area and heel.

sorry to hear that dude. Foot problems are the worst. They mess up your entire body's alignment and cause other issues. 

Edited by Chez

great weekend of workouts. Time to update the Log

Saturday 3/10/18

Met up with the NYC crew for pinch work. Here is how it went. 

140 lbs - 3x

160 lbs - 3x

180 lbs - 5x. Good enough. My triceps are still sore from Wednesday

2 Hand Pinch Euro

185 lbs - 1x

195 lbs - 1x

205 lbs - couple inches off the ground. Need to get back in the groove with the Euro. 

175 lbs - 3 sets of doubles

155 lbs - 3 sets of triples

155 lbs - 3 lifts with 10 second holds

Block Weights

Half 85 blob - 1 set of 5 lifts each hand, 2 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Cannon Pony Clamp Dynamic 2 Hand Pinch

Base unit - 20x

Base Unit + 2 doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Base Unit + 3 doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Base Unit + 4 doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Base Unit + 5 Doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Block Weights

Half 100 Blob - 2 lifts left and 1 right. Hands shot at this point

Sunday 3/11/18

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Right MMS Grippers 

194 lb Super Elite - 4 straight Singles. Boom! gripper strength is on the raise again

176 lb MM3 - double

174 lb RB 280 - 3 doubles

165 lb Elite - 4 Triples

158 COC #3 - 5x

153 COC #3 - 3 sets of 5x

149 COC #3 - 5x

- Back in the groove nicely with grippers. I should be peaked at nationals and ready to make a run at the MM7. This is my year. 

RBA Negatives

Setting 6-6 - Negative and 5 second hold

Setting 6-7 - 2 Negatives and 5 second holds

Leg Extensions

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

Hyperextensions

BW - 4 sets of 10x

Standing Dumbbell Alternation Curls

40 lb DBs - 10x each arm

45 lb DBs -  10x each arm

50 lb DBs - 10x each arm

Machine Rear Laterals

120 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Machine Ab Crunches 

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Going to do my PT exercises/stretches for the Achilles tonight. 

- The events for grip nationals were finalized and announced. So now its time to focus on them until June. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chez said:

great weekend of workouts. Time to update the Log

Saturday 3/10/18

Met up with the NYC crew for pinch work. Here is how it went. 

140 lbs - 3x

160 lbs - 3x

180 lbs - 5x. Good enough. My triceps are still sore from Wednesday

2 Hand Pinch Euro

185 lbs - 1x

195 lbs - 1x

205 lbs - couple inches off the ground. Need to get back in the groove with the Euro. 

175 lbs - 3 sets of doubles

155 lbs - 3 sets of triples

155 lbs - 3 lifts with 10 second holds

Block Weights

Half 85 blob - 1 set of 5 lifts each hand, 2 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Cannon Pony Clamp Dynamic 2 Hand Pinch

Base unit - 20x

Base Unit + 2 doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Base Unit + 3 doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Base Unit + 4 doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Base Unit + 5 Doubled up rubber bands - 20x

Block Weights

Half 100 Blob - 2 lifts left and 1 right. Hands shot at this point

Sunday 3/11/18

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Right MMS Grippers 

194 lb Super Elite - 4 straight Singles. Boom! gripper strength is on the raise again

176 lb MM3 - double

174 lb RB 280 - 3 doubles

165 lb Elite - 4 Triples

158 COC #3 - 5x

153 COC #3 - 3 sets of 5x

149 COC #3 - 5x

- Back in the groove nicely with grippers. I should be peaked at nationals and ready to make a run at the MM7. This is my year. 

RBA Negatives

Setting 6-6 - Negative and 5 second hold

Setting 6-7 - 2 Negatives and 5 second holds

Leg Extensions

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

Hyperextensions

BW - 4 sets of 10x

Standing Dumbbell Alternation Curls

40 lb DBs - 10x each arm

45 lb DBs -  10x each arm

50 lb DBs - 10x each arm

Machine Rear Laterals

120 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Machine Ab Crunches 

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Going to do my PT exercises/stretches for the Achilles tonight. 

- The events for grip nationals were finalized and announced. So now its time to focus on them until June. 

Very impressive and your gripper workout is supreme💪💪

• Thanks 1

Thanks bud. The MM7 is mine this year. I’ll keep grinding till my name is on that list

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chez said:

Thanks bud. The MM7 is mine this year. I’ll keep grinding till my name is on that list

If and when you do cert the 3.5... If NYC realized what a rare and difficult feat that was they would  put it on the cover of the daily news, the post and the times. People have no clue.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If and when you do cert the 3.5... If NYC realized what a rare and difficult feat that was they would  put it on the cover of the daily news, the post and the times. People have no clue.

If people took a picture of Chez gripper closes from yesterday he posted it would make people shake their head in amazement. John McCarter received much deserved recognition for his WR hub and other great lifts at 4FF but same contest look at Chez with a freakin #190 (20MM) close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I have had multiple injuries which have derailed me over the years. But now that I'm finally healthy (just nursing a strained Achilles at the moment which isn't serious), I think I have a great chance to finally realize my true potential. Really looking to the upcoming year of training and competitions. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I have had multiple injuries which have derailed me over the years. But now that I'm finally healthy (just nursing a strained Achilles at the moment which isn't serious), I think I have a great chance to finally realize my true potential. Really looking to the upcoming year of training and competitions. 

Join the club Chez! I’ve had neck and back fusions, elbow surgery, you name it. It won’t keep a good man down. We find what our bodies will allow us to do and keep on trucking. I can’t live without some sort of competition strength endeavor. It’s written into my DNA... as I am sure the same is with you guys.