Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Was suppose to workout yesterday but I was just exhausted and decided to take the day off. I took a nice long nap in the middle of day and it was glorious. It turned out to be a good thing because I felt good today and had a good workout. Here is what I did tonight:

2.5" Crusher Lifts

Right Hand

152.5 lbs - Single

152.5 lbs - 2 Partial Singles. Best I have ever done with this weight. PR 

137.5 lbs - 3 doubles

127.5 lbs - 3 triples

117.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

107.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds

Left Hand

152.5 lbs - Partial. Nice. Never broke ground with this weight righty before. PR this hand also. 

142.5 lbs - 2 singles

127.5 lbs - 3 doubles

117.5 lbs - 3 triples

107.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

107.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds

Strict Double Hand Plate Wrist Curls w/ Forearms on Bench

35 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x

Strict Reverse Single Hand Plate Wrist Curls w/ Forearms on Thigh

10 lb plate - 3 sets of 10x each hand

2" Crusher Single Arm Lat Pull downs

90 lbs - 10x each hand

80 lbs - 2 sets of 10x each hand

Calf Raises on Leg Press Machine

300 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

Crunches on AB Machine

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Tonight's training:

Bench Press

220 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 90 seconds rest. Shoulder is great. I'm liking the program and still haven't missed a triple. 

Smith Machine Incline Bench Press

225 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Smith Machine Squats 

295 lbs - 3x

335 lbs - 3x

375 lbs - 3x

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Tonight's workout:

Deadlifts

320 lbs - 3x

370 lbs - 3x

415 lbs - 3x I was exhausted tonight and that felt way heavier than it should. As the weight increases I keep thinking I need to move deadlifts to the weekend when I have more energy. Some nights after work my energy is crazy low.

Row Machine

setting 15 - 8x

Setting 16 - 8x

Setting 17 - 8x

One Arm Preacher Machine Curls

Setting 5 - 3 sets of 8x each arm 

On vacation in cape cod with my girl and her parents. Got a week pass from a gym near by so I can keep training. Here is what I did today:

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

160 lbs - 3x

180 lbs - 3x

205 lbs - 3x. Last one was a grinder but I got it. Really happy about that. Still improving on the Overhead press

Chest Press Machine

3 sets of 12 reps. I don't remember the weight but last one was one plate short of the stack. This gym doesn't have a decline bench but this machine hits the lower chest and I grabbed the handles low to make it more so.

Seated Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10x. Again not paying attention to weight. Going by feel. I like lying version better but this gym doesn't have it. 

Flask 2 hand pinch

166 lbs - 3 singles

141 lbs - 3 doubles 

141 lbs - 3 triples

- running short on time before lunch so I cut the flask work short. First time using it for 2hp so I was Messing around to figure out starting weight. These were all easy. Plan on using my thumb screws tonight to make up some pinch work 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

220 on the overhead press is in sight now 👍 thats a really good weight for this exercise.

I think it would be a good decision to move the deadlifts to weekends.

Deadlifts are very demanding and take a lot out of you, im sure there will be a noticeable difference in your deadlift sessions.

Maybe Reverse Band Deadlifts are an option on low energy days or deload weeks as well.

You could use the Reverse Band Deadlifts also strength wise and train in a Paul Anderson way.

Just lower the bands bit for bit(reducing the band support) until you hit your preferred weight.

All the best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GripAustria said:

220 on the overhead press is in sight now 👍 thats a really good weight for this exercise.

I think it would be a good decision to move the deadlifts to weekends.

Deadlifts are very demanding and take a lot out of you, im sure there will be a noticeable difference in your deadlift sessions.

Maybe Reverse Band Deadlifts are an option on low energy days or deload weeks as well.

You could use the Reverse Band Deadlifts also strength wise and train in a Paul Anderson way.

Just lower the bands bit for bit(reducing the band support) until you hit your preferred weight.

All the best.

Thanks buddy. This upcoming week is my heavy week. My last set of the Overhead press I'll attempt 215 so we will see how that goes. I'm def moving the deadlifts to the weekend after this week. My energy is just way too low after week to give them my best. Really want to hit 500 on the deadlift this year. 

• Like 2

Today's workout. Came back from all day at the beach and ran straight to the gym after getting changed :

Bench Press

225 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 90 seconds rest in between each. Felt good. More in the tank.

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 8x

85 lb DBs - 2 sets of 8x

Barbell Squats

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 5x. First time doing free weight squats in a while so I was conservative. I didn't go all out and concentrated on form. 

• Like 1

Woke up early and hit the gym with my fiance's dad. We were at the gym by 8:15am. I'm not a morning person but he is. I made him a deal. I'll go early if he deadlifts with me. He did really well for his first time. 

Deadlifts

345 lbs - 5x

390 lbs - 3x

435 lbs - 2x. Happy with that considering I'm not a morning person. Best so far for my last set.

Preacher Curls

90 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Row Machine

140 lbs - 10x

155 lbs - 2 sets of 10x. Machine wasn't well balanced and kept rocking on me. 

Light accessory stuff today. Nothing special. I am feeling a little beat up so I decided to go light.

Lat Pulldowns

160 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Rear Laterals

25 lb DBs - 3 sets of 8x

Leg Press Calf Raises

360 + sled - 3 sets of 20x

Standing Calf Raise Machine

Bodyweight + 100lbs - 3 sets of 12x

Lying Leg Raises in static crunch 

20x, 15x, 15x

• 2 weeks later...

Behind again in the log so I want to catch up before today's workout:

Sunday 8/6/17

I got back from vacation the previous night after spending around 6 hrs driving so I knew I was tired going into this session. I also strained the tendons in my hands at the end of the vacation. Went to a driving range which also had batting cages. I think I gripped the gold club and bat so hard that I strained some tendons in my hands because it was difficult to make a fist the previous 3 days.  Hands felt better today so I decided to proceed with the workout anyway. 

Standing overhead Barbell Press

170 lbs - 5x

190 lbs - 3x

215 lbs - miss. Argh. I had it right there and just couldn't lock it out. I know this is because I'm exhausted today. I have this in me. I'll repeat the cycle next month and get this next time. 

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Squats

Wasn't really keeping track of the weights and reps. Last set was 275 for like 5 reps. This isn't squat day but I throw squats in on gripper day to wake the CNS up. Went a little heavier than usual. 

Decline Bench Press

205 lbs - 10x, 8x. My triceps are shot so I didn't bother with the 3rd set. 

MMS Right Hand Grippers

194 lb Tetting SE - 2 singles and 2 misses. Argh. I knew at this point that I had drop down even further in grippers for the remaining sets because I felt weaker today with just getting back from vacation late last night and the hand issue. These are the days you just have to push through

172 COC #3.5 - 3 sets of doubles

165 Tetting Elite - 3 sets of triples

149 COC #3 - 3 sets of 5

RBA Negatives

Setting 6-6 - 5 negatives with 5 second holds. 

Wednesday 8/9/17

Bench Press

230 lbs - 10 sets of Triples with 90 seconds rest in between. Still getting every rep but starting to work a little on the last 2 sets now. Liking this program a lot. Bench is coming back after that shoulder strained months back. 

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

225 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Smith Machine Squats 

275 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 5x

Saturday 8/12/17

- Birthday Workout

Deadlifts

305 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 5x

400 lbs - 5x

1 Arm Machine Biceps Curls

110 lbs - 3 sets of 12x each arm

Machine Rows

187.5 lbs (Entire Stack) - 10x, 10x, 8x

I noticed you keep increasing the weight of your bench slowly with 10 set of 3 reps, is this from the Jim Wendler program?

11 minutes ago, gerryg said:

I noticed you keep increasing the weight of your bench slowly with 10 set of 3 reps, is this from the Jim Wendler program?

Ya. I strained my left shoulder months back and my bench went to hell so I searched around and found another program but it's not Wendler. Just increase the weight 5 lbs every week and keep trying for the 10 triples. Once u miss a set it drops out and the weight keeps going up. Real simply and I like it 

• Like 1

Today's training:

145 lbs - 5x

170 lbs - 5x

190 lbs - 5x

Decline Bench Press

205 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Flask 2 Hand Pinch

176 lbs - 3 singles 

156 lbs - 3 doubles 

136 lbs - 3 triples

116 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

116 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds

Ab Machine

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Little behind in the log. Time to update:

Monday 8/14/17

Smith Machine Standing Calf Raises 

Body weight + 225 lbs - 4 sets of 15 reps

Lying Hamstring Curls

Setting 5 - 3 sets of 10x

Left Hand MMS Grippers

165 lb Tetting Elite - 4 singles

153 lb COC #3 - 3 doubles

144 lb COC #3 - 3 triples

133 lb COC #2.5 - 3 sets of 5x

- Stopped training Left grippers to focus on SJ4 a couple months back and it shows (Comp only test one hand for grippers). Lost some power. Need to slowly ramp back up because My right crush is strongest when my left is strong as well. It will take a few session to back in the groove. 

RBA Negatives

Setting 5-6 - Negative with 5 second hold

Setting 6-6 - 4 Negs with 5 second holds

Front Levering 

Heavy Mace - 3 sets of 10x each hand

- Got this heavy mace at the work gym. No idea what it weighs but its substantial. 

Supination/Pronation

Cable Curl Bar Attachment - 3 sets of 10x each hand\

Extensors

IM Red Band - 4 sets of 75x each hand

Wednesday 8/16/17

Bench Press

235 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 90 seconds rest in between sets. Still getting every rep but now I'm working on the last 2 sets. 

225 lbs - 3 sets of 8x. Much easier than usually. I should move up the weight. 

Smith Machine Squats

295 lbs - 3x

335 lbs - 3x

375 lbs - 3x

- Got a training session with 2 guys from the grip board (Anthony and Anton) planned for Saturday. I'm hitting right hand grippers and crusher. Going to try and train with these guys every couple weeks. I need to reignite my training since the comp and I think this will do it. Gotta get back on track. Still feel a little out of flow since the comp.  

- Came up with an idea to increase my axle before nationals. Going to be borrowing a friend manus grips to incorporate them on thick bar day after the crusher for heavy rack pulls. never did these before. But I think the combo of my normal deadlift increasing (ankle healthy and focusing on it), my crusher going up and the heavy rack pulls will help me on the axle. Going to test it out for a few months and see how it goes. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Hell yes become a regular! I'll even keep gluten free beer in the fridge for you - or vino, your pick - now thats hospitality! Yea so normal saturday activities have been to wail on grippers and pieces of steel then do brutal volume on euro, flask, and pinch block in a row - are you saying your down for crusher this saturday too? Cuz we can make that happen

• Like 1

Time to update the log. Trained with Anton, Anthony and Jose yesterday in NYC. Good times. It was a hot day yesterday and they workout outside and everyone at SJ4 saw I don't handle the heat well so I was dripping in sweat very quickly. I got caught in traffic so it took twice as long to get there. I was also pretty tired yesterday but I gutted through the workout and did pretty well. Getting back into the groove with grippers

Saturday 8/19/17

160 lbs - 3x

180 lbs - 3x

205 lbs - 2x. I was suppose to get 3 but I decided not to gut it out. Sun was beating down on me and the ground wasn't level so my balance wasn't great. Oh well. I'm make it up next time. 

Right Hand MMS Grippers

198 lb Tetting GE - 2 attempts and I missed both by a hair. Here is a still of the first:

Snapshot 1 (8-20-2017 5-15 PM).png

- Not my best today. The GE is still hit or miss depending on the day. I need to be on to close this gripper and I'm not 100% on today. Time to drop down

194 lb Tetting SE - 5 Singles. Very Nice. At least better than last workout when I was dealing with the tendon strain. I tore some skin on my pinky though during these singles but it didn't hurt so I keep going. 

180 lb COC #3.5 - 3 doubles

172 lb COC #3.5 - 3 triples

158 lb COC #3 - 3 sets of 5x. Just bought this gripper and its perfect for my 5 rep sets right now. Nice and smooth. 

- Not my best session ever but best since SJ4. Getting back in the training groove nicely. I need to improve to the point where I can close the GE consistently for multiple singles like the SE. When that happens its time to sign up for MM7. Working sets will start with a GE attempt every time now. 

RBA Right Hand Negatives

Setting 6-6 - 1 single with 5 second hold

Setting 6-7 - 1 single with 5 second hold

Setting 7-7 - 3 singles with 5 second holds

Sunday 8/20/17

Deadlifts

330 lbs - 3x

375 lbs - 3x

425 lbs - 3x. got all the reps but I won't lie and say it was easy. I had to grind through these. The gym was crazy hot and humid and I was tired again today. 

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10 each arm. Biceps are getting strong again. 

1 Arm Machine Triceps Extensions 

95 lbs - 3 sets of 10 each arm. 

Machine Rows

187.5 lbs (Entire Stack) - 3 sets of 10x

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Time to update the log:

Monday 8/21/17

Standing Calf Raises

Body Weight + 225 lbs - 4 sets of 15x

Strict Double Hand Plate Wrist Curls

35 lb Plate = 3 sets of 15x

Strict Double Hand Reverse Plate Wrist Curls

25 lb Plate = 3 sets of 10x

2.5" Crushers

137.5 lbs - 3 Singles each hand

127.5 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

117.5 lbs - 3 triples each hand

107.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x each hand

107.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second hols each hand

- Weak on this today. I think its a combo of being tired from work (I normally do these on the weekend), not properly warming up and the after effects of heavy deadlifts on Sunday. oh well, next time. As I write this, my forearms have been sore all week so my body def felt it. 

Extensors

IM Red + Blue Band - 50x, 5 sets of 30x. Need to get back to doing these every week. 

Wednesday 8/23/17

Bench Press

240 lbs - 10 sets of triples. 90 seconds rest between the first 5 and 2 mins rest between the last 5. Felt really good and strong on these. Still haven't missed a rep. 

235 lbs - 2 sets of 8x, 1 set of 7x (failed on the 8th, got it half way up)

Smith Machine Squats

315 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 3x

395 lbs - 2x. Squats felt great tonight. I was going to go for the triple but I decided it wasn't necessary. 

Edited by Chez

Nice work! I see you're crushing the standing calf raises, I'm having to do these as part of my achilles rehab and finding them hard work.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, patrickmeniru said:

Nice work! I see you're crushing the standing calf raises, I'm having to do these as part of my achilles rehab and finding them hard work.

Thanks buddy. I'm working hard to bring up my legs now that I can actually deadlift and squat pain free. I'm actually gaining weight because of it (I'm in the 270-275 lb range) and My work dress pants are getting really tight around my legs. I have those genetically stubborn calves so I'm working hard to gain muscle there are well.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Today's Training:

45 lb Bar = 20x

100 lbs = 5x

130 lbs = 4x

145 lbs = 3x

155 lbs = 2x

165 lbs = 1x

145 lbs = 3 sets of 5x

- Trying out a new program for this since I have been little stagnate on progress lately. Its a 6 week program. Should be interesting. As with all programs, it starts light and ramps up. 

Decline Bench Press

205 lbs - 10x, 10x, 8x

Left Hand MMS Grippers

172 lb COC #3.5 - 3 singles

160 lb MM1 - 1 single

153 lb COC #3 - 3 doubles

144 lb COC #3 - 3 triples

141 lb COC #3 - 3 sets of 5x

- Ramping up off hand nicely

Left Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 5-5 - 1 negative with 5 second hold

Setting 5-6 - 1 negative with 5 second hold

Setting 6-6 - 3 negatives with 5 second holds

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x each arm

Machine Lateral Raises

95 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Great workout today. I didn't get home till 3:30 am last night so I slept in pretty late. I was at Nate's place watching the fight and I didn't leave until after 1am and its a little over a 2 hr drive for me. I had a late lunch and lots of caffeine. Here is the workout:

Deadlifts

355 lbs - 5x

400 lbs - 3x

445 lbs - 2x. Really happy about that. Form felt great today. I knew I had this since the other working sets felt awesome. New PR for the last set of my heavy day

Flask 2 Hand Pinch

178.5 lbs - 3 singles

158.5 lbs - 3 doubles

138.5 lbs - 3 triples

118.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

118.5 lbs - 3 singles with 10 second holds

Machine Rows

187.5 lbs (Entire Stack) - 3 sets of 10x. Felt easy

Last Pulldowns

170 lbs - 10x

180 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 8x. 

Gotta keep plugging away..................

Edited by Chez

Quick update:

Monday 8/28/17

Rear Laterals

30 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Standing Calf Raises

Bodyweight + 225 - 20x, 20x, 15x, 15x

Lying Leg Raises

In Static Crunch - 2 sets of 15x

Regular - 15x

- Was suppose to do hamstrings but forgot. I was also suppose to do wrist and extensor work at home but I was just freaking exhausted when I got home. Oh well, I'll make it up next time. 

Felt strong on the bench press last night. Squats were just alright and definitely not as good as last time:

Wednesday 8/30/17

Bench Press

245 lbs = 10 sets of triples with 2 minutes rest in between each set. 

235 lbs = 3 sets of 8x. Nice. I missed the last rep last workout but got it this time even after adding weight to the bench press. 

Squats 

285 lbs = 5x

325 lbs = 5x

365 lbs = 5x. Slow grinding reps. Not my best. 

• Like 1

Didn't have much time this weekend with lots of family events planned so I focused on the big movements and only a few accessories. Took the weekend off from grip. 

Saturday 9/2/17

Standing Overhead Barbell Press - New Program WK2

45 lb Bar = 20x

110 lbs = 5x

130 lbs = 4x

155 lbs = 3x

165 lbs = 2x

175 lbs = 1x

155 lbs = 3 sets of 5x

120 lbs = 2 sets of 8x

One Arm Machine Preacher Curls

125 lbs = 3 sets of 10x each arm

One Arm Machine Triceps Extensions

95 lbs = 1 sets of 10x

110 lbs = 2 sets of 10x

Sunday 9/3/17

- Had to wake up early to get this session in because we had a family BBQ planned. I am totally not a morning person. On top of it, I forgot my energy drink and didn't have any coffee so I had to do this workout without caffeine and I normally rely on caffeine (bad habit I know).

Deadlifts

310 lbs - 5x

360 lbs - 5x

410 lbs - 5x. Wasn't easy. So freaking tired but I got the reps. 

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

300 lbs = 3 sets of 25x

Edited by Chez

Had to give a board report at work so I was a little drained by the time I got to the gym. Still a good session though. Tonight's Training:

Bench Press

250 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 2 mins rest between sets. Happy with that. Still getting every rep but that last one was tough. 255 lbs next week will be a fight. 

235 lbs - 8x, 8x 7x - half rep on the 8th. Triceps were feeling it after the flat bench sets. Thinking about increasing the weight next week and banging out sets of 5x.

Smith Machine Squats

305 lbs - 3x

345 lbs - 3x

385 lbs - 3x. Squats felt better tonight than last week but I stopped at 3 reps here because I have to deadlift Friday and I want to save my legs for that.