Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

3 hours ago, CFlaherty said:

Great attempts dude, very impressive! Seems like you are approaching your previous strength level, must feel awesome to be knocking on #4's door.

Thanks buddy. Ya, really happy I'm back up to this strength level. It was a long road back but I did it like I always have........one step at a time. 

Edited by Chez

Great job with the deadlifts (in particular) buddy. Keep up the good work! I'm sure 200kg is already well within your capabilities and 500lbs is probably not too far away. Good stuff, stay healthy!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 5:58 AM, patrickmeniru said:

Great job with the deadlifts (in particular) buddy. Keep up the good work! I'm sure 200kg is already well within your capabilities and 500lbs is probably not too far away. Good stuff, stay healthy!

Thanks Pat. I'll keep plugging away. I actually just got home from vacation where I had no internet access. The cruise ship had an awesome gym but I used it as a deload week. I worked out 3 times but more moderate weight and reps. 

Only a little more than 2 months left till the comp so gym in the AM. Time to push hard leading up to the comp.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Quick session this morning before a family party:

Seated Calf Raises 

90 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

Lying Leg Raise in Static Crunch

3 sets of 15x

2.5" Crusher Lifts

Left Hand

147.5 lbs - 1 single. PR Grinder

145 lbs - 2 singles

127.5 lbs - 3 doubles

117.5 lbs - 3 Triples

107.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

107.5 lbs - 3 lifts with holds as long as possible 

Right Hand

137.5 lbs - 3 singles

117.5 lbs - 3 doubles

107.5 lbs - 3 triples

97.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

97.5 lbs - 3 lifts with holds as long as possible 

First lifting session back from vacation last night. It was alright. I felt tired and weak which I expected since I'm getting back into the flow of work etc. 

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

195 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 5x. Just getting the bare min reps

Flat Bench Press

185 lbs - 6x

195 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 7x. Muscular endurance just plain sucked tonight so I was indecisive about the rep range. 

Smith Machine Squats 

255 lbs - 5x

295 lbs - 5x

330 lbs - 5x. Min reps again

No biggie. It will get a couple workouts but I'll get back in the groove. 

Been dealing with a stomach bug that derailed training this past week. I lifted and trained pinch Saturday. Pinch went well but my regular lifting was off because of the stomach issues I have been battling. Not going to bother logging the session and instead focus on the next one. I couldn't train yesterday due to mother's day. I plan on training tonight to make up the session. 

Quick session last night to make up the workout I missed due to be sick:

One Arm Machine Triceps Extensions

90 lbs - 12x, 10x, 10x each arm

Lying Hamstring Curls

140 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

One Bicep Machine Curls

95 lbs - 15x each arm

100 lbs - 15, 10x each arm

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

300 lbs - 4 sets of 25x

Left Hand MMS Grippers

176 lb MM3 - 3 singles. New Comeback PR! Missed the 4th by a hair. I'm so close to finally taking down my 180 lb #3.5. 

160 lb MM1 - 3 doubles. Felt pretty easy

153 lb COC #3 - 3 triples. Felt pretty easy

30mm Block Left Hand Grippers

153 lb COC #3 - 5 singles

RBA Negatives Left Hand

Setting 7-6 Hard Spring - 5 Negatives with a 5 second holds.

Really happy with the left hand PR. Hopefully my right hand is firing this upcoming weekend also. Going to attempt a 20mm block 194 SE close Right Hand Saturday. Need to throw in more work with the block in the weeks leading up to the comp. 

• Like 1

argh. Long week and I'm behind in my log. Time to play catch up:

Wednesday 5/17

I had to present the quarterly board report for my department. Biggest presentation yet since the whole board was present at the NY office. For my other previous 2 presentations since taking the position, several people video conferenced in so this one was more stressful. I kicked butt though and the CEO told me I impressed everyone :D.

Got to the gym late (1 hr before closing). I hit the bench press, Incline dumbbell bench, lat pull downs and rear lateral dumbbells. Don't remember the numbers etc but I remember feeling exhausted and having a weak session. Oh well. I think I was mentally and physically drained. Good to still get the work in no matter what.

Saturday 5/20

Smith Machine Squats

275 lbs - 3x

310 lbs - 3x

350 lbs - 5x

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

145 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 3x

190 lbs - 2x. I was super setting squats and OHP (including the warmups) with grippers and I just didn't have the energy to attempt the 3rd rep. Oh well. Next time. 

Right Hand 20mm Block Grippers

194 lb Super Elite - 3 Straight Singles! Boom. 194 is all time 20mm block set PR for me and I got 3 straight times! (Video of second Close below) Previous PR was 192. In a great gripper groove right now. Gotta keep pushing to get the MM7 and COC #3.5 certs this year. Super focused right now. 

Right Hand MMS Grippers

194 lb Super Elite - 1 Single. 

180 lb COC #3.5 - 1 wide single. I messed up the set and had to get it wide. This was probably around 30mm. Was going to try a double but with the wide set and fatigue I knew it wasn't happening.

176 MM3 - 2 doubles

167 COC #3.5 - 3 triples

Right Hand 30mm Block Grippers

165 Elite - 5 Singles. Easy

Right Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 7-7 Hard Spring - 5 Negatives with 5 second holds. 

Straight Bar Triceps Press downs

80 lbs - 3 sets of 12x

1 Arm Preacher Machine Curls

Setting 4 - 3 sets of 12x each arm

Sunday 5/21

Seated Calf Raises

90 lbs + apparatus - 4 sets of 15

Laying Leg Raises in static Crunch Position

3 sets of 15 

2.5" Crusher

Left Hand

147.5 lbs - 3 singles. My best so far. My weakest event for the upcoming comp. 

130 lbs - 3 doubles

120 lbs - 3 triples

110 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

102.5 lbs - 3 lifts with holds as long as possible. 

Right Hand

140 lbs - 1 singles. that was tough due to gripper fatigue from yesterday. 

137.5 lbs - 2 singles

120 lbs - 2 doubles

110 lbs - 3 triples

102.5 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

102 lbs - 3 lifts with holds as long as possible

Deadlifts

300 lbs - 3x

345 lbs - 3x

385 lbs - 3x. With Squats yesterday and crusher work before this, I was fine just getting the min planned reps instead of going for broke. Gym was also crazy hot. 

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Close Grip Cable Rows

170 lbs - 8x

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs -8x

Here is the second 194 SE 20mm Block Set Close:

Going to attempt this gripper with the 30mm block next right hand gripper session. Would love to get this number at the comp in July with a 30mm block. 

Going to do some quick extensor work before bed. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I'll update the log and catch up for the week tonight but I just missed my 180 lb RGC #3.5 off hand (left hand) by a freaking hair literally. So pissed. I closed this gripper right hand right before certing the MM3 right hand so I know I'm close to the MM3 Off hand and only Paul Knight has done that. Here is the video and still: 

Snapshot 1 (5-29-2017 5-43 PM).png

Doesn't get much closer than that. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine................

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

So I fell behind in the log this past week but I have been training. I just want to highlight the week and then I'll try to go back to my normal daily detail. Here is how the week went:

Wednesday 5/24:

Did Smith Machine Squats, Bench Press and Incline Dumbbell Bench Press. Smith Machine Squats went well as I worked up to 365 lbs for 3-5 reps (having trouble remembering the reps but I know it was in this range). I didn't go all out so I'm alright with this result. My bench press was horrible which has been a trend since I aggravated my shoulder months back. I decided its time to try something different so I found a program that I'm going to start this week for the bench that revolves on doing several triples. It will start light and ramp up. This will give me time to concentrate on form and fix the underlying issue. 

Friday 5/26:

Did deadlifts and a bunch of accessory lifts. I felt really tired during the day. I tried everything to snap out of it but it carried into the workout. I did 325x5, 365x3 and 410x3 on deadlifts but I was slow and didn't have explosiveness. I wanted at least 2 more reps on the last set but oh well. I'll try and rebound next week. 

Sunday 5/28:

Hit Standing overhead barbell press and some accessories. Felt pretty good with the presses and hit 200 lbs for a single on my last set.

Monday 5/29:

Hit Left grippers, Pinch and some accessory weight lifting exercises. Left hand grippers felt strong and I almost hit a PR but missed my 180 COC #3.5 by a freaking hair. Video and still above. My pinch was off because the skin on my thumbs was too beat up which made heavy lifts impossible. I was a little frustrated but dropped down and did 10 sets of triples instead so get some work in. Going to using working hands on the skin all week to heal.    

Last night's workout:

Smith Machine Squats

265 lbs - 5x

300 lbs - 5x

340 lbs - 7x

Flat Bench Press

180 lbs - 10 sets of 3x. 90 seconds rest in between each set. 

- Trying out a new program for the bench press. It starts with low weight and ramps up weekly. I'm focusing on my form during the portion of the program. I'm modifying the program slightly because I plan on continuing to run 5/3/1 for the other main lifts since I'm still making progress. My bench has been an issue for month now so its time mix things up. 

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

75 lb DBs - 12x, 12x, 10x

Edited by Chez

Yesterday's workout:

Deadlifts

285 lbs - 5x

330 lbs - 5x

375 lbs - 9x. New PR weight on the last set for this many reps! Nice. Still making great deadlift gains. Bar speed was great.

Barbell Rows

225 - 3 sets of 10x. Think it's time raise the weight.

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curl

Setting 4 - 3 sets of 10x each arm. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Freaking amazing session today. My crush felt crazy strong. Best gripper session ever. I totally dominated my super elite. Here is what I did:

Lying Hamstring Curls

155 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

140 lbs - 5x

160 lbs - 5x

185 lbs - 5x. Nice!

Lying Leg Raises in static Crunch Position

20x, 15, 20x

Right Hand Grippers

194.45 lb Super Elite 30mm block - 2 attempts and both were super close. I fumbled the set on both. Video and still of the second attempt below. This is going down Soon! I would be ecstatic to get this close at SJ4 next month.

194.45 lb Super Elite 20mm Block - 2 singles. Dominated both. Felt the handles grind. 

194.45 lb Super Elite MMS - 4 straight MMS Singles. First 3 I dominated and felt the handles touch. The 4th was closed but just closed. Fatigue settling in. 

180 lb COC #3.5 MMS - 3 straight doubles. Easy!

172 lb COC #3.5 MMS - 3 Stright Triples. Easy!

172 lb COC #3.5 30mm Block - 5 straight Singles. Easy!

Right Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 7-7 - 3 negatives with 5 second holds.  

Here is the video and still of the second 194.45 lb Super Elite 30mm Block attempt: 

Snapshot 1 (6-3-2017 4-28 PM).png

Feeling Strong and motivated! This is why I train!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 7

Another great training session today. I went to a coworkers house to pay my respects because her husband passed so I didn't get to the gym until pretty late. Quick workout but a great one:

Decline Close Grip Bench Press

185 lbs - 10x

195 lbs - 10x

205 lbs - 6x

Left Hand 2.5" Crusher

150 lbs - 2 Singles, got the third single up but lost it on the way down. PR!. Not much weight but a PR is a PR. 

130 lbs - 3 doubles

120 lbs - 3 triples

110 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

110 lbs - 3 lifts with 10 second holds

- crazy thing about today's crusher work. I left my chalk in the car and I was too lazy to go out and get it and the crusher was completely clean. I washed my hands and dried them and my grip felt awesome. I feel better without chalk on the crusher. My laziness paid off as I figured something out because of it. No right hand crusher until the comp. I will now save my right hand for grippers since my left is stronger on the crusher anyway and crusher work affects my grippers. I'll pick up the right hand thick bar work after the comp. 

Lat Pulldowns

180 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

200 lbs - 8x. feeling really strong on these lately. 

Seated Calf Raises

90 lbs plus apparatus - 4 sets of 20x

Extensors

IM Red Band and Blue Bands - 5 sets of 25x each hand

Weekend Review = I set a PR in deadlifts, Right Hand Grippers, Overhead Press and the Crusher. 4 PRs in one weekend. Dam good weekend. Hitting a nice stride in the final month of training before the comp. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Great training!

Thanks buddy. Its great to finally be 100% healthy. Look forward to killing it with you on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Definitely - were gonna have a great time - should get there around 5:15pm

• Like 1

Forgot my powerlifting shoes at home today so I wasn't able to do squats as planned. I'll make them up next time. Tonight's training:

Bench Press

185 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 90 seconds rest between. Still easy as i slowly ramp up the weight with this new program. Enjoying it though since it gives me a chance to work on form and slowly strengthen the shoulder.

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

75 lb DBs - 3 sets of 12x

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raises 

25 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Lifted yesterday and met up with some guys for a grip training session today. I'm too tired to log now but I will tomorrow. Apparently I still have some block weight strength after not touching one for over 2 years. Here is a blob 50 lift was today's training session. 

I also may have closed my 194 Super Elite with a 30mm block. My buddy needs to send me the vid and I have to review it on a big screen because its hard to tell on the camcorder small screen. We will see. 

• Like 3

Time to update the log for the weekend. Here is what I did:

Friday 6/9/17

Smith Machine Squats

310 lbs - 3x. This was a mistake. I was suppose to do 285. I got my squat numbers mixed up with my deadlift numbers. This happened on the warm ups also and I noticed it after this first working set in time to correct for the next two working sets

320 lbs - 3x

360 lbs - 3x

Deadlifts

310 lbs - 3x

350 lbs - 3x

395 lbs - 3x. Argh, everything felt heavy today. I also started the session very tired. It might also be the fact that I don't usually squat and deadlift in the same session. 

Setting 4 - 3 sets of 10 each arm

Saturday 6/10/17

Met up with some guys from NYC and CT and had a training session. There were 7 of us in total. The big highlight was closing my 194.45 lb Super Elite with a 30mm Block (already posted the vid on the main board). I was also shocked that I still had some block weight strength after not touching one for over two years. I was able to lift the Blob 50 a couple times. We did a little flask, crusher and smaller inch type dumbbells. Good group of guys. All of them will be at the comp next month.

Sunday 6/11/17 

Standing Overhead Press

150 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 3x

195 lbs - 3x. really happy with this. I felt I had another 1-2 if I really went all out but the gym was like 100 degrees so I decided to hold back a little. 

Decline Bench Press

185 lbs - 10x, 10x, 8x

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. Legs are shot. I even did squats for the session Saturday so I went light on these. 

Wide Grip Cable Rows

170 lbs - 10x

190 bs - 10x

210 lbs - 10x

Seated Calf Raises

90 lbs + the apparatus - 4 sets of 20x

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Some light stuff while watching the NBA finals last night (so pissed about that game, I hate the warriors):

Thumbscrew Dynamic Pinch

Right Hand - 5 sets of 15x followed by 5 sets of 10x

Left Hand - 10 sets of 10x

- Moved up to a harder gripper for these so this was tough. 

Sledge Wrist Curls (pinching sledge head with handle outward)

12 lb sledge - 4 sets of 20x each hand

Sledge Reverse Wrist Curls

6 lb sledge - 4 sets of 20x each hand

Extensors

Red + Blue IM Bands - 5 sets of 35x each hand

Quick session tonight:

Bench Press

190 lbs - 10 sets of 3x with 90 seconds rest between sets. Still easy as the program ramps up. 

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

205 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Smith Machine Squats

300 lbs - 5x

340 lbs - 3x

375 lbs - 3x

I don't have time to be tired. Grind big man......grind. 

• Like 2

Late Night Session Tonight. I was tired all day. I spent a lot of time just relaxing and resting during the day. I still pushed myself to get the gym but energy was low so not my best:

Deadlifts

330 lbs - 5x

375 lbs - 3x

420 lbs - 1x. Argh. I knew this was going to be bad since the previous weights felt way heavier than usual. I probably could have squeezed out another but I didn't want to push too hard while tired because that is how injures happen. Just not my night. At least I got the required reps. Decided to stick to the lighter exercises for the rest of the session.  

Setting 4 + add on plate - 3 sets of 10x each arm

Lying Leg Raises in Static Crunch

3 sets of 20x

Standing Calf Raises on a step in Smith Machine

Body Weight + 185 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

Rear Laterals

25 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Morning session tomorrow before I spend time with my family for fathers day. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Crazy quick session last night. I had to attend the annual meeting for my coop board last night and of course it was long winded so I didn't get a chance to eat dinner until like 9pm so I inhaled it and ran to the gym before it closed at 10pm. I only wanted to get Standing Overhead Press in since I have been sick the last couple days and was suppose to do it last week but couldn't. Happy that I hit a PR though considering how late I ate and got to the gym:

6/20/17 

Standing Overhead Press

160 lbs - 5x

185 lbs - 3x

205 lbs - 1x - PR

I attempted to hit right hand grippers when I got home but I didn't feel right during warm ups since I ate late and rushed through one exercise at the gym before it closed. I decided to stop grippers and wait for the weekend so I can concentrate on them and give it my all. 

Edited by Chez

47 minutes ago, Chez said:

until like 9pm so I inhaled it and ran to the gym before it closed at 10pm.

• Like 2