Smith Machine Squats

270 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 3x

340 lbs - 5x

Bench Press

205 lbs - 8x

215 lbs - 8x

220 lbs - 8x

Pretty tired last night so I decided not to go all out and save the energy for deadlifts tomorrow and grip Saturday. 

• Like 1

A short weight lifting session on Friday where I felt tired and weak, follow by a great Saturday grip session where I felt very strong:

Friday 3/17

Deadlifts

285 lbs - 3x

330 lbs - 3x

370 lbs - 7x. Not happy with that at all. Everything felt heavy and slow. I just didn't have the energy to fight through it. Long week. 

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

140 lbs - 3x

160 lbs - 3x

180 lbs - 3x. same as with the deadlifts. Just low energy. 

Oh well, not everyday can be great. Sometimes you just have to fight through the bad ones to get some work in. 

Saturday 3/18

Totally made up for the bad session today. Felt strong

Lying Hamstring Curls

140 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Close Grip Bench Press

205 lbs - 8x

215 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 10x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

190 lb MM5 Replica - 4 Singles. Dominated. Comeback PR! The first one was so easy that I had to check to make sure I grabbed the right gripper. Video of the first close below. 

176 lb MM3 Replica - 3 doubles. Ya buddy

167 lb COC #3.5 - 3 Triples

Right Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 7-7 - 5 negatives with 5 second holds. 

Right Hand Grippers 30mm Block Set

172 lb COC 3.5 - 5 singles no problem!

2.5" Crusher Lifts

Left Hand

142.5 lbs - 4 singles

127.5 lbs - 3 doubles

117.5 lb - 3 triples

Right Hand - Gripper Fatigue

132.5 lbs - 4 singles

117.5 lbs - 3 doubles

107.5 lbs - 3 triples

1 Arm Cable Rows with 2.5" Crusher

80 lbs + add on plate - 3 sets of 8x each hand

1 Arm Lat Pull Downs with 2.5" Crusher

80 lbs + add on plate - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Barbell Curls

95 lbs - 8x

105 lbs - 8x

115 lbs - 8x. Most weight I have used since the injury. Felt great. 

Here is the first MM5 Close from Today:

Time to move up a gripper next session!

• Like 1

Today's Training:

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

360 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

Seated Calf Raises

80 lbs - 2 sets of 15x toes outward, 2 sets of 15x toes inward

front levering

12 lb bar 6 inches from back - 3 sets of 10x each hand

rear levering

12 lb bar 3 inches from back - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Supination/Pronation

Light bar + 2 clips on end - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Strict Plate Wrist Curls

Both hands at same time - 35 lb plate - 3 sets of 10x

Srict reverse plate curls

single hand - 10 lb plate - 3 sets of 15x each hand

Lat Pulldowns

170 - 3 sets of 10x

Rear Delt Machine

120 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Ab Machine

145 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Edited by Chez

Just a video explaining how I train grippers. Some people have asked. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZ6x65HHDc

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Great video! Thanks for taking the time! All the best with your training!

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for putting this together. I am glad you took the time to discuss your split in detail as well. I just started incorporating weightlifting into my routine. It was very helpful for me to here you discuss what has worked for you.

• Like 1

You are welcome guys. I forgot to mention the importance of extensor work. I hit it after gripper training. There are several ways of doing it but I just use ironmind expand your hands bands. Extensor work keeps tendinitis away and helps make your crush stronger by keeping your forearm in balance. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Thanks for taking the time to make another video.

What do you do for resets and deload?

You're welcome. I actually plan on making another short follow up video because I left out some minor stuff. Always happens, I review the video and catch myself omitting things. I should have written notes like I originally planned. Plus someone else also asked a question. So I will cover those omitted points and your question in the short follow up video which I plan on doing some time this week. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Aaron Corcorran found the videos of my COC #4 closes from back in May 2014. Pretty cool since I thought I lost them forever when my youtube was hacked.

• Like 6

Tonight's training:

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 4x

Flat Bench Press

195 lbs - 8x

205 lbs - 8x

215 lbs - 10x. Really love doing regular bench second. My shoulder is feeling better.

Smith Machine Squat

285 lbs - 5x

320 lbs - 3x

355 lbs - 3x. Eh, I could get more if I went all out but I'm doing deadlifts tomorrow so I decided to hold back. Can't go all out all the time. 

• Like 1

I don't find squatting heavy buggers with my pulls unless my low back is getting really pumped. 

11 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

I don't find squatting heavy buggers with my pulls unless my low back is getting really pumped. 

For me, its just fatigue throughout the week. I use the work gym during the week so I'm literally lifting right after work. Lately I have needed to pull back a little and chose when to go for it. I'm going to try and lift with more intensity tonight since I have held back for 3 weekly lifting sessions now. 

• Like 1

Feel behind 3 workouts in the log. Let's just hit the highlights:

Thursday

Deadlifts

Probably my worst deadlift session in a real long time. Just no energy. Was suppose to get like 6-7 reps on my top set with 390 lbs but ended up with 2. Super pissed. I think my food allergy was acting up all week since my energy levels have been low. Need to bounce back next time.

Top set was 190 lbs for 2x.

Barbell Rows

210 lbs for 3 sets of 8x

Saturday 

highlight here was PRs both left and right on the flask. Did 86 lbs for 3 singles left hand and 81lbs for 4 singles right hand.

pretty matched what I did last time with left hand grippers by hitting my 176 lb MM3 for 2 singles and then dropping down.

Today

Went up on calves. 360 lbs for 4 sets of 20x on the leg Press and 90 lbs for 4 sets of 15 seated. 

Quick workout last night:

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

195 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 9x + 1 assisted rep. Got stuck half way up on the 10th rep so my spotter used his finger tips to help me grind it out. 

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

101.5 lb DBs - 10x, 10x, 9x

I planned to squat tonight but I couldn't because I forgot my powerlifting shoes at home and all I had was my dress shoes so I'll make them up tonight. 

Were you the fanciest guy in the gym though?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CFlaherty said:

Were you the fanciest guy in the gym though?

Always. when I had a home gym, I use to drink wine while lifting because its classy. 

• Like 1

Another quick session tonight to finish the work I missed last night. Felt pretty good. My legs were a little tight during the warm up squat sets but loosened up by the working sets. I feel like my food allergy effects are starting to pass which means more energy and intense workouts in the days ahead. 

Smith Machine Squats

255 lbs - 5x

295 lbs - 5 x

330 lbs - 9x. not bad. I might have been able to grind out another 1-2 reps but I worked out alone tonight so I didn't have my buddy for encouragement and a spot. Much better than the last 2 weeks with the food allergy symptoms kicking up. 

Lat Pulls Downs

160 lbs - 10 x

170 lbs - 10x

160 lbs - 10x

- the pulley at work is so much harder than the one at the gym around the corner from my place that I use on the weekends. 

Tomorrow is deadlifts. I really want to redeem myself from the cruddy deadlift session last week. Hopefully the food allergy has passed enough that I have the energy. Either way I will fight to the end and do the best I can. Everyday I deadlift and squat pain free is blessing after the years of leg problems I have endured. 

My buddy Jason Steeves recommended trying deadlifts and squats same session. i'll give a try next cycle. I'm always open to advice from more experienced lifters. Never stop learning!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Pretty good workout tonight:

Deadlifts

275 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 9x. A senior attorney from my job came into the gym right before this set. If she wasn't there I would have let out a war cry and went for the 10th but I decided against it 😜.

135 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 5x

175 lbs - 4x

Barbell Rows 

215 lbs - 3 sets of 8x. Felt great. Really happy with that.

tomorrow is an off day but I will be attempting my 194 lb super elite gripper Saturday so I'll make sure to rest up and give it everything I have.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

No time to log right but I just finished an amazing gripper workout. The type of workout that makes me feel alive. I closed my 194.45 lb rated Super Elite for 4 straight singles. This gripper feels just like the real MM6. Other than the night where I closed a COC #4 3 times in front of Aaron C., this is def the strongest gripper training session I have ever had. I closed this gripper 3 straight times right before I certed the real MM6 and today I did even better.

I got video of the first 2 closes. However the set went out of frame both times:

Next up is my 198 lb rate Grand Elite. Once I can close it for a few singles in training, I plan on signing up for the MM7 certification. Hell ya!

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

No time to log right but I just finished an amazing gripper workout. The type of workout that makes me feel alive. I closed my 194.45 lb rated Super Elite for 4 straight singles. This gripper feels just like the real MM6. Other than the night where I closed a COC #4 3 times in front of Aaron C., this is def the strongest gripper training session I have ever had. I closed this gripper 3 straight times right before I certed the real MM6 and today I did even better.

I got video of the first 2 closes. However the set went out of frame both times:

Next up is my 198 lb rate Grand Elite. Once I can close it for a few singles in training, I plan on signing up for the MM7 certification. Hell ya!

:bow:bow:bow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

:bow:bow:bow

Got 3 months left. Can't wait to see where I am by then!

2 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Awesome! 

Thanks Jason!

Time to catch up on the Log.

4/1/17

Straight Bar Triceps Press Downs

90 lbs - 8x

100 lbs - 8x

110 lbs - 8x

Light Light Squats

135 lbs - 3 sets of 8-10. Just did them to wake up and get the blood flowing

Hamstring Curls

140 lbs = 3 sets of 8-10x

MMS Grippers Right Hand

- Started with my typical Gripper warm up routine which I no longer log these days. However, on my last warm up close with my 180 COC #3.5 I knew something wasn't quit right. I got it no problem but it wasn't as easy as my previous session and I planned on going for a PR today. I decided to put the grippers down and do some Hamstring curls and body weight back extensions to wake my CNS further. hamstring curls listed above but I didn't keep track of the back extensions. Worked like a charm:

194.45 lb Super Elite - 4 straight convincing closes and I felt the handles touch on all of them. I got video of the first two which is posted above. Best training performance other than the night I closed those #4s back in May 2014. 

180 lb COC #3.5 - 2 sets of doubles

176 lb MM3 Replica - 1 double

167 lb COC #3.5 - 2 sets of triples

165 lb Elite - 1 triple

RBA Negatives Right Hand

Setting 7-7 Hard Spring - 5 Negatives with 5 second holds 

Grippers 30 mm Block Set Right Hand

174 RB 280 - 4 singles

172 COC #3.5 - 1 single

Extensors

IM red band + Green Band - 5 sets of 30x each hand

That is it for today. I had to run to a family party. Plus I want to move the crusher to Sunday to better focus on it. 

Edited by Chez

Today:

Ab Machine

140 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

2.5" Crusher Lifts

Right Hand

145 lbs - 3 singles

130 lbs - 3 doubles

115 lbs - 3 triples

115 lbs - 3 singles with holds as long as possible. Throwing these in the mix at this point

Left Hand

135 lbs - 1 single. Too light. i'm use to doing right hand immediately after grippers

140 lbs - 2 singles

125 lbs - 3 doubles

110 lbs - 3 triples

110 lbs - 3 singles with holds as long as possible

2.5" Crusher 1 Hand Cable Rows

80 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

2.5" Crusher 1 Hand Lat Pulldowns

80 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Strict Double Hand Plate Wrist Curls

35 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10 reps. Going to up the reps a little next time

Strict Single Hand Reverse Plate Wrist Curls

10 lb + 2.5 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x

EZ Bar Preacher Curls

70 lbs - 10x

80 lbs - 8x

90 lbs - 8x

Good enough for today. Need to make up some calf and wrist work tomorrow night.