Lying Hamstring Curls 

130 lbs - 10x

125 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

Calf Raises on Machine Leg Press

280 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

1 Hand Pinch Flask

Left Hand 

78.5 lbs - 4 singles. Felt glued to my hand. Going to move up next time 

68.5 lbs - double. Made a mistake loading was suppose to use 5 lbs more.

73.5 lbs - 2 doubles.

68.5 lbs - 3 triples

Right Hand

76 lbs - 4 singles

71 lbs - 1 double. That was hard. Used a lot of energy on the singles.

66 lbs - 2 doubles 

61 lbs - 3 triples

1 Arm Cable Rows with 2 inch Pinch Block

20 lbs + fractional plate - 3 sets of 10x

1 Arm Lat Pull Down with 2 inch Pinch block

20 lbs + fractional plate - 3 sets of 10x

Left Hand MMS Grippers

165 lb Elite - Single

172 COC 3.5 - 3 Singles

153 COC 3 - 3 Doubles

144 COC 3 - 3 Triples

Left Hand RBA Negatives 

5-5 Setting - 5 Negatives with 10 second hold

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Got to the gym late again because of work, so short session tonight but something is better than nothing:

Smith Machine Squats

255 lbs - 3x

290 lbs - 3x

320 lbs - 9x. Pretty good. Could have probably gutted out 1 more if I went all out. Still progress.

Bench Press

190 - 3x

215 - 3x

245 lbs - 5x. Ya, I'm pissed. I tried a new setup technique but I didn't feel comfortable. I will figure this out. Watching another technique video right now. I can't stand this. I love the bench and this technique/shoulder issue is driving me crazy. I will overcome this. 

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

96.5 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10 reps. Nice! Time to move up again! Next time I will give 101.5 lb DBs a try for sets if 8. See the power is there. Flat bench is bad due to some technique flaw I can't shake. 

Edited by Chez

Got to the gym late again. So much to do at work. Short session. Energy was low tonight so I just did the best I could.

Deadlifts 

275 lbs - 3x

310 lbs - 3x

350 lbs - 8x but maybe 9. So here is what happened. I lost count early and couldn't remember if I was at 2 reps or 3 so I went conservative and called it 2 so I got at least 8 reps which was my minimum goal going into the session but I really wanted 9 which I might have done. I'll just make it up next week for my heavy session which I plan on video taping for form critic.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press 

135 lbs - 3x

150 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 4x

7's Barbell curls 

65 lbs 

75 lbs

80 lbs - arms are feeling strong so I show boated and threw in an extra rep which I paused half way while talking to my friend. Time for more weight!

Barbell Rows 

185 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. Time for more weight!

"I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."

- Michael Jordan

- -

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Hey Chez,

curious what your 1RM with the 2.5" crusher is, and how you feel it impacts your gripper work (either positively or negatively).

Thanks man!

Hey Buddy. I'm still well below max grip strength but I'm getting stronger week by week as I train for this competition in July. Right now I would guess my max on the 2.5" crusher to be between 145-150 lbs. I haven't really maxed yet so this is just a guess. Grippers and thickbar are the hardest two things for me to balance. To be honest, my thick bar strength was never great since I focused on grippers. You kind of work the same part of the hard in both disciplines so its hard to shine in both. I'm trying a new training regime though to balance them and so far it seems to be working since I'm increasing in both but its still early. I will be able to really tell when I'm back up in both of them.   

Really great workout today. I moved up in both grippers and the crusher and just felt strong overall! Here is what I did:

Skull Crushers/Explosive Close Grip Press

70 lbs - 10x/10x

80 lbs - 10x/10x

90 lbs - 10x/10x

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs + added plate - 3 sets of 10x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

180 lbs COC #3.5 - 1x

182 lbs RB 330 - 2 singles

182 lbs RB 330 - Just missed another single. My set was off. If I got a good set this would have been closed. 

174 lbs RB 280 - 3 doubles

165 lbs Elite - 3 Triples

I can't believe it took me this long to go back to my old routine. This has always worked so great for me and I got me to closing those 2 #4s. Going to stick to the plan to get back there.

RBA Right Hand Negative

Setting 6-6 - 5 Negatives with 5 second holds. This was easy and I will go up next time. I'm decreasing the hold time to use more resistance but I want to ease into it to be safe.

2.5" Crusher 1 Hand Deadlifts

135 lbs - 4 singles each hand

125 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

115 lbs - 3 triples each hand

2.5" Crusher 1 Hand Cable Rows

70 lbs + added plate - 3 sets of 8x each hand

2.5" Crusher 1 Hand Lat Pulldowns

70 lbs + added plate - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Really great workout. Moving in the right direction. Gotta stick to the plan and keep grinding......................

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, pburke23 said:

Would love to hear about how you're currently structuring that and improving in both!

I'll write you up something tonight. Just exhausted right now and I have some chores to get done. 

On 2/4/2017 at 5:09 PM, pburke23 said:

No problem, take your time. Just curious, they seem to always have a negative impact on each other. Glad you're making progress on both though!

Hey bud. time to answer your question. I think the training split is key when trying to make progress on thick bar and grippers. Here is my current split:

Tuesday and Thursday: 5/3/1 weight lifting program. 

Weekends: I alternate. One weekend will be Right hand grippers first and then thick bar training both hands right after. I do this because I'm right arm dominate on grippers. However, I'm left arm dominate on thick bar. I feel doing thick bar just kills my gripper strength while grippers don't affect my thick bar as much so I train grippers first and then thick bar. This way my right arm is fresh going into grippers, and my left arm is fresh going into thick bar. I do my left hand grippers next weekend. It doesn't get as much rest from thick bar this way. I still care about my left crush but not as much as my right since my right is stronger and the one where I'm trying to get certifications etc. and more commonly contest at comps.

The next weekend is left hand grippers (reason explained above) and pinch work. I feel pinch really isn't affected by grippers or thick bar. When I repeat the cycle, my right hand grippers now got 2 weeks rest from thick bar and I'm ready for an intense workout. I do wrist work on the second day of either weekend or both since I again feel it doesn't affect me as much on the other disciplines.

I'm left hand dominate on pinch and right hand dominate with wrist strength. So it's 2-2 between my hands with the main grip areas.

Hope that makes sense     

Edited by Chez

Shorter gym session today:

Calf Raises on the Leg Press Machine

300 lbs - 2 sets of 25x

300 lbs - 2 sets of 20x

Front Levering

9 lb bar - 3 sets of 10x

Rear Levering

9 lb bar - 3 sets of 10x

Supination/pronation

Light Bar - 3 sets of 10x

Strict Plate Wrist Curls

15 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Strict Reverse Plate Wrist Curls

10 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

I get the best forearm pump from wrist training. My forearms were blown up after this. Looked like Popeye. I wish I could freeze them like this. 

Machine Calf Raises (chair on 45 degree angled track)

Body Weight + 80 lbs - 3 sets of 20x 

I noticed my thighs are getting big and really overshadowing my calves. I have genetically stubborn calves so I have decided to throw in an extra exercise on weekends. 

Rear Delt Machine

110 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Edited by Chez

Forgot to add the following to Yesterday's workout:

Ab Machine

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20 reps. This was a little too easy and my abs aren't as sore as usual so I may have messed up the weight. I'll go up the next plate next time. 

Back up to 265 lbs first thing in the morning. To celebrate here is another bicep shot:

IMG_0195.JPG

• Like 1

That's awesome dude that you can be so heavy in weight and have such small arms.

Really deceives competitors into underestimating you. :rock

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

That's awesome dude that you can be so heavy in weight and have such small arms.

Really deceives competitors into underestimating you. :rock

haha. I know. They never see me coming with those pipe cleaners for arms. 

• Like 1

Yesterday's quick training session:

Smith Machine Squats

270 lbs - 5x

305 lbs - 3x

340 lbs - 8x. Felt good. Legs were a little stiff and sore going into the workout but they eventually loosened up. Made sure to hit depth on every rep. 

Bench Press

205 lbs - 5x

230 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 4x. I wasn't even going to bench today but I forgot my dumbbell handles in the car (work gym DBs only go up to 75s) and I was running late so I Benched. This shoulder problem isn't getting better so I have a new plan. I need to give the right shoulder time to heal so I'm going to stop the bench press for a while. My plan is to switch to higher reps (8-12) and do the smith machine incline, dumbbells incline, dumbbells flat and dumbbell decline since those exercises don't bother my shoulder. I'll continue to watch bench form videos and practice with lighter weight. In a couple months I should be good to bench again.

Smith Machine Incline Bench Press

235 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

• Like 1

Pretty good training session today. Here is what I did:

Deadlifts 

295 lbs - 5x

330 lbs - 3x

370 lbs - 8x very happy with this. This was my goal going into the workout. PRs with deadlifts keep coming. Video below for form advice. 

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

145 lbs - 5x

160 lbs - 3x

180 lbs - 2x. Might have been able to get another but I didn't feel like going all out with these today.

7's bicep curls

65 lbs

75 lbs

85 lbs - very happy with this. My arms are getting strong again.

Barbell Rows

185 lbs - 3 sets of 10

Here is the video of my top deadlift set for form advice. I already noticed that I need to get my hips lower and I'm using way too much lower back. I use straps for my top set, but the rest I just do double over with no straps. I don't want another bicep tear and I want to save my grip for grip specific training. Not the most flattering angle, especially pushing my belly out against the belt:

• Like 2

Time to log this weekends training. Here is what I did yesterday:

felt very tired yesterday. Took a long mid day nap. When I woke up, I drank coffee etc to try and get ready for training but I kind of knew it was going to be a bad sesssion. I think my cns was fried from deadlifts late Friday. I woke up and my whole back was sore. It was a good muscle soreness though. I had to push though the workout though.

1 Arm Machine Tricep Extensions

105 lbs - 10x, 10x, 8x each arm

Lying leg curls 

125 lbs + add on plate - 3 sets of 10x

Flask 1 Hand Pinch

66 lbs - 5 triples each hand. I tested heavy singles and it wasn't happening today. The skin on my thumb was beat up so it hurt to pinch hard and my low back was sore so I decided on just lighter triples today.

1 Arm Cable Rows with 2" Pinch Block

30 lbs - 3 sets of 10x each hand

1 Arm Lat Pulldowns with 2" Pinch Block

30 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Thumbscrew Dynamic Pinch

5 sets of 10x each hand

Days like this happen sometimes. I just did the best I could. Hopefully I rebound next Pinch session.

• Like 1

Today's training:

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises 

300 lbs - 4 sets of 25x

Seated Calf Raise Machine

45 + 25 lb plate - 2 sets of 20x and 2 sets of 15x

Rear Delt Machine 

110 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Left Hand MMS Grippers

172 lb COC 3.5 - 4 singles. Nice. Time to bust out the RB 280 next session

153 lb COC 3 - 3 doubles 

149 lb COC 3 - 3 triples 

Left Hand RBA Negatives

5-6 setting - 5 negatives with 5 second holds. Time to move up a setting. 

Front Levering

9 lb bar at the end - 3 sets of 8x each hand 

Rear Levering 

9 lb bar at the end - 3 sets of 8x each hand 

Supjnation/Pronation

Light Bar - 3 sets of 10x each hand. Need to start adding weight

Strict Plate Wrist Curls

10 + 5 lb plate - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Strict Reverse Plate Wrist Curls

10 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x each hand 

Close Grip Pulldowns 

150 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Ab Machine Crunches

140 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Gratuitous forearm picture:

IMG_0199.JPG

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Tonight's training:

Dumbbell Bench Press

91.5 lb DBs - 10x

101.5 lb DBs - 10x, 8x

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

101.5 lb DBs - 3 sets of 8x

Smith Machine Squats

245 lbs - 5x

280 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 7x. Low energy tonight and my legs were crazy sore especially my calves. Good enough tonight.

Got to the gym late so I just did the bigger movements. I'll make up the accessories on the weekend. 

Another great deadlift session today. I don't normally lift back to back days but these were the only days this week I could so I was sore going into the session. Here is what I did:

Deadlift

260 lbs - 5x

300 lbs - 5x

340 lbs - 10x. Ya buddy. Brand New pr for 10 reps. Last month I got 330 lbs for 10x. I wanted 11x but I was exhausted and squated just yesterday. That will do pig, that will do.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

125 lbs - 5x

145 lbs - 5x

165 lbs - 5x

1 Arm Preacher Machine Curls

Setting 4 - 8x each arm

Setting 4 + add on plate - 2 sets of 8x each arm

Barbell Rows

190 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Got some advice from Jason @Shoggoth and Brandon Gerber on my deadlift form issues and they both mentioned that I wasn't getting tight and keeping my shoulders down among other issues. Both made videos explaining how I could improve and I think it has already made a difference. I still have a lot of work to do but the pulls felt better. On one warm up rep with 240 lbs it felt so perfect that I almost fell backwards because I was super tight and using my own body as a counter weight so the weight flew up. I just need to keep reinforcing that so it's automatic. 500 will go down this year!

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen."

- Jordan

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Good stuff! You'll definitely find a big difference once you get your form tweaked.

• Like 1

I've seen your deadlift form video and one thing you did is very bad for your back, you let bounce the weight on the ground very hard at every rep, thats asking for trouble and can improve the possibility of a disc injury dramaticly.

It would be much better for your back, in the long run, to lower the weight on the ground controlled.

That bounces are like shockwaves for your spine.

The scientific background for this is found in Dr Stuart Mc Gills work.

I do not want to teach or lecturing you i only want to save you from a disc injury.

All the best for your training and your goal for 500. 

9 hours ago, GripAustria said:

I've seen your deadlift form video and one thing you did is very bad for your back, you let bounce the weight on the ground very hard at every rep, thats asking for trouble and can improve the possibility of a disc injury dramaticly.

It would be much better for your back, in the long run, to lower the weight on the ground controlled.

That bounces are like shockwaves for your spine.

The scientific background for this is found in Dr Stuart Mc Gills work.

I do not want to teach or lecturing you i only want to save you from a disc injury.

All the best for your training and your goal for 500. 

That is actually the first time I have heard that. I'll try and concentrate on the slowing down the decent. I think sometimes I'm pretty exhausted by the time I get to the gym. I go at night after work. also, it has been beaten into my head to drop a lift and follow it with my hand still gripped around the implement to the ground because the lift doesn't count in grip competition if your hand slips on the way down so I was told a lot in the beginning that once I get the down signal to put it down real fast. I'll see if I can make a concentrated effort on it. Thanks for checking out the vid and for the feedback.  

Really really happy right now. Today I had my best gripper workout since starting the comeback and I felt great on the crusher. Here is what I did:

Lying hamstring curls 

140 lbs - 2 sets of 10x, 1 set of 8x

Straight bar tricep pressdown

75 lbs - 10x

85 lbs - 10x

90 lbs - 10x

95 lbs - 8x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

182 lb RB 300 - 4 singles! Too easy.

176 lb MM3 - 1 double

174 lb RB 280 - 2 doubles

165 lb Elite - 3 triples. Too easy

every close was convincing with handles grinding and/or audible clicks. My crush just felt strong. Time to move up in grippers again. 

Right Hand RBA Negatives

7-6 setting - 5 negatives with 5 second holds. I could move up but to be careful I will keep this level while moving up in grippers next time and see what happens. 

2.5" crusher lifts

Left Hand 

137.5 lbs - 4 singles. Felt great

127.5 lbs - 2 doubles. 

122.5 lbs - 1 double

107.5 lbs - 3 triples 

Right Hand

137.5 lbs - 1 single. Major fatigue in the right hand from the gripper work

132.5 lbs - 3 singles

117.5 lbs - 3 doubles 

102.5 lbs - 3 triples 

1 Arm Cables Rows w/ 2.5" crusher

80 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

1 Arm Pulldowns w/ 2.5" crusher

80 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

“You’ve got to go out and show them that I’m a different creature now, then I was five minutes ago, cause I’m pissed off for greatness. Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre.”

- Ray Lewis 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2