Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Another gratuitous bicep pic:

image.jpeg

• Like 4

First week of 5/3/1 in the books. Lifted with buddy from work Tuesday and again tonight and my strength is soaring already. I need to bring a notebook with me though because we move so fast I forget what I did so I'm not logging. To give an example of the strength gain, I used a weight on db incline presses that I have been just missing for 10 reps on the 3 rd set and that night he asked if I needed a spot on the 3rd set, I laughed and said if feels like nothing and cranked out the 10 with ease. It felt like a joke and this is happening on like every exercise.

• Like 1

Showed my friend grip on Saturday. I showed him various grip stuff from grippers, pinch, thick bar and wrist. After that I got a gripper workout in. I worked up to an 182 lb RB 330 attempt. I knew I missed it by a slight margin but now that I'm looking at the still of the attempt I realized I got closer than I thought. Hell, it may have even been closed for a split second but I don't called a gripper closed unless I know for sure. This would have went down easy if I concentrated and properly warmed up instead of showing my friend stuff. Just a matter of time now. The still is below.

Snapshot 1 (9-25-2016 7-47 PM).png

After that attempted, I got a couple closes with my 180 COC #3.5, 176 MM3 and 174 RB 280, then hit negatives with the RBA and a few closes with the Frankenstein on a higher setting than last time. 

Today I went to the gym near my place and hit wrist by doing levering in all directions and I also did cables rows and pull downs with my 2.5" FBBC crusher. Got in some abs and calves also. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

After looking at this on my big high def monitor instead of my phone, I now believe that was a close last workout. Pretty stocked since that is a post surgery PR. Tonight I'm hitting second week of 5/3/1 and I plan on taking notes this time to start detailed logging. 

• Like 2

lifted last night. Here is what I did minus the working sets. 

Bench Press

185 lb = 3 reps

215 lb = 3 reps

240 lb = 8 reps

Smith Machine Squats

215 lb = 3 reps

240 lb = 3 reps

265 lb = 10 reps

Dumbbell decline bench press

75 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 - these were easy (joke really) speed reps. They are the biggest DBs the work gym has. I'm bringing my loadable DBs next time.

Dumbbell rear lateral raises

10 lb DBs = 3 sets of 20 reps. Go a little heavier next time

Lat Pull Downs

3 sets of 10 reps - Funny thing about this machine at the work gym. I have very long arms even for my height. It gave me a huge advantage in basketball growing up. This pulley is too short for me to get a good stretch sitting on a normal chair (its like a half rep for me). To fix this I take 2 of those pads people use to do crunches on the floor and sit on them so I'm very close to the floor. I get a laugh out of it every time. Its perfect for me because when my hands are all the way out on the bar I can put the weight back on the stack gently without getting up or even stretching very far. My friend is not even close so he has to stand up with it (I am about 2 inches taller). 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Finished up the second week of 5/3/1 tonight. Warm ups not listed 

deadlifts 

230 lbs - 3 reps

265 lbs - 3 reps

300 lbs - 5 reps. I had a lot more but now is not the time to push to hard.

standing overhead barbell press 

115 lbs - 3 reps

130 lbs - 3 reps

145 lbs - 8 reps

Dips

3 sets of 8-10 reps

7s (aka 21s) barbell curls

65 lbs

75 lbs 

85 lbs - had to stop after the first rep in the full range. Felt a weird stretch in the right bicep and decided to drop the weight Down to 65 to finish to be safe.

machine rows

3 sets of 10 reps

On 9/15/2016 at 10:29 PM, Chez said:

Thanks bud. Getting back to my glory days slowly. 

You'll get back there man.  No prob

On 9/19/2016 at 7:43 PM, Chez said:

Trained regular weight lifting Friday after work with my friend from work. We tested our maxes using reps and a formula for standing overhead press and deadlifts. Only thing worth mentioning is that I haven't lost as much on deads as I thought since this is like the second doing them since the surgery. Still held back though to be safe. 

On Sunday I trained left grippers and pinch by myself. Not too much to report except I love the flask from barrell strength. 

Starting 5/3/1 officially tomorrow night after work with bud from work. 

I also moved into an office for the first time in my career today. It will take some getting use to. Always in a cube before. Onwards and upwards!

Congrats on the office Chez...I like my cube for now lol!

On 9/29/2016 at 11:58 PM, Chez said:

Finished up the second week of 5/3/1 tonight. Warm ups not listed 

deadlifts 

230 lbs - 3 reps

265 lbs - 3 reps

300 lbs - 5 reps. I had a lot more but now is not the time to push to hard.

115 lbs - 3 reps

130 lbs - 3 reps

145 lbs - 8 reps

Dips

3 sets of 8-10 reps

7s (aka 21s) barbell curls

65 lbs

75 lbs 

85 lbs - had to stop after the first rep in the full range. Felt a weird stretch in the right bicep and decided to drop the weight Down to 65 to finish to be safe.

machine rows

3 sets of 10 reps

Good calls in your workout.  Like if something really feels weird then I stretch and evaluate.  I don't want no injuries etc. if I have a chance to make a good call bro

On 9/20/2016 at 7:27 AM, Chez said:

Another gratuitous bicep pic:

image.jpeg

Good arms 

5 hours ago, Forever said:

Good arms 

Thanks buddy. I'm happy at how fast it's coming back. Just need to keep my strength gains coming. 

21 hours ago, Chez said:

Thanks buddy. I'm happy at how fast it's coming back. Just need to keep my strength gains coming. 

muscle memory is a blessing. keep the faith  rest when u can n hit it hard. Ur gains will keep flowing 

So a quick update about my training yesterday. I went to my local gym with my girl. I have been pushing her to workout so we signed her up at the gym close to us and I'm paying for it and going with her. She feels more comfortable at the gym with me since she isn't experienced. She gets a discount since I'm already a member. We went early and did cardio and some legs. I have been throwing in extra leg and back work on the weekends (my weak points). We did the most cardio I have done since I had ankle surgery almost 3 years ago (I have a piece of metal in my left ankle). I was able to do 30 mins straight of elliptical work (my ankle has come a long way).

I also hit left hand grippers but It was a bad gripper day for me. I may have been too tired. Between lifting during the week with my friend, cardio with my girl and grip by myself on the weekend, I don't think I had enough rest. Oh well, bad days happen. I dropped down in grippers and pushed through the workout.

Tomorrow is 5/3/1 with my friend. The IT guy who covers our office and another is in town. He covers us remotely most of the time. I drive him to and from the office when hes here since its on my way. He is going to lift with us also. Should be fun since he hasn't lifted in a long time.    

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Yea! Spread the good word of strength training!

On 10/3/2016 at 2:20 PM, Anton.Torrella said:

Yea! Spread the good word of strength training!

Always try buddy. I believe it benefits anyone.

Lifting 5/3/1 last night with my work friend and the IT guy. The IT guy was a little late so came when we were half way done with squats. I tried teaching him squats since he never did them before and by the end he improved a lot (still needs work though). Here is what we did. We had to move even faster with 3 guys and having to teach the IT guy a lot so I'm going off memory. Warm ups not included:

Smith Machine Squats

3 sets, First set 5 reps, second set 3 reps and third set 1+. I honestly forgot the weight for the first 2 sets but I did 280 for 8-10 reps (I don't remember exactly but I know it was in that range).

Bench Press

200 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 3 reps

250 lbs = 7 reps

Incline DB Bench 

I brought my adjustable DBs this time so I didn't 81.5 lb DBs for 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Lat pulldowns

3 sets of 10 reps using 140-150 on the stack. Machines is very different depending on the pulley set up so weight doesn't really matter on this. 

Standing Side lateral DB raises

12 lb DBs - 3 sets of 20 reps

Had to move fast on the last couple exercise to finish at a decent time so I got a good cardio burn and tons of sweat. 

Edited by Chez

Little late with this update. Here is the lifting Thursday night without warmup:

120 lbs - 5 reps

135 lbs - 3 reps

150 lbs - 8 reps

deadlift

245 lbs - 5 reps

280 lbs - 3 reps

315 lbs - 3 reps - real easy but I told myself I would stop at 3 reps so I did

machine rows

3 sets of 10 reps

dips

3 sets of 8 reps

one arm machine preacher curls

3 sets of 10 reps

low back machine 

3 sets of 10 reps

My buddy at work is getting much stronger fast. He hits prs constantly 

Hitting grip and some accessory lifting today

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Some light legs and grip today. Warm ups not included.

squats

3 sets of 10 reps

lying hamstring curls

3 sets of 10 reps

calf raises

4 sets of 20 reps

Right Hand MMS Grippers

180 lb coc #3.5 - 3 straight singles with the handles grinding. Feeling strong

174 lb RB 280 - 4 straight singles. Dominated

RBA - 3 negatives with 10 sec holds 

silvis Frankenstein - 5 singles

Flask 1 HP

62 lbs - 3 reps each hand

66 lbs - 2 sets of 3 reps each hand

Sorinex 4 inch pinch block 1 HP

41 lbs - 3 sets of 3 reps each hand

thumb screw dynamic 1 HP

3 sets of 10 reps each hand

• Like 1

Second cycle of 5/3/1 started tonight:

Bench Press

175 - 5 reps

200 - 5 reps

230 - 12 reps, most reps I have done with this kind of weight since surgery

Smith Machine Squats

205 lbs - 5 reps

235 lbs - 5 reps

260 lbs - 9 reps, I had more in me but I just hit some legs Sunday so I was sore going into this workout

Smith Machine Incline Bench

205 lbs - 10 reps

215 lbs - 10 reps

225 lbs - 10 reps

Smith Machine Wide Grip Upright Rows

115 lbs - 2 sets of 10 reps

120 lbs - 10 reps

Lat Pull Downs

3 sets of 10 reps

Low Back Machine

3 sets of 10 reps

Great night at the gym tonight. Here is the work out minus the warm ups:

deadlifts

220 lbs - 5 reps

255 lbs - 5 reps

290 lbs - 10 reps. I had at least 5 more in me but again I'm holding back to protect the arm

Standing overhead barbell press

105 lbs - 5 reps 

125 lbs - 5 reps

140 lbs - 10 reps

pondstone curl challenge

45 lb bar - 70 reps

45 lb bar - 30 reps

- I have completed all 100 reps in one set before but my biceps are obviously much weaker now. Still did better than I thought.

skull crusher into explosive close grip press

90 lbs - 8 reps and 10 reps - right bicep felt very tight from the curls so I stopped at 8 on the crushers. Weight was no problem. I should have stretched and started light.

80 lbs - 10 and 10

90 lbs - 10 and 10 - bicep loosen up and this felt easy

machine rows

3 sets of 10 rows

low back machine

3 sets of 10

gym was very hot tonight. I was drenched in sweat. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Quick workout yesterday morning:

leg extensions 

3 sets of 10 reps

lying hamstring curls

3 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raises

4 sets of 20-30 reps 

MMS Grippers Left Hand

172 lb coc #3.5 - 2 singles 

165 lb Tetting Elite - 5 singles

RBA Adjustable 

3 negatives with 10 second hold

Single Arm Cable Rows with 2.5 FBCC Crusher

4 sets of 10 reps each hand

Single Arm Lat Pulldowns with 2.5 Crusher

4 sets of 10 reps each hand

Ab Machine

4 sets of 20-30 reps

• Like 1

Did a 5 mile walk for breast cancer today but it was more like 7 miles considering how far away we had to park. Ankle held up pretty good since I trained some legs yesterday and walked around in NYC to see a broadway show. My ankle wouldn't have been able to handle this a while back. I have come a long way. Good times! Save the boobies!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Trained 5/3/1 Tuesday and Thursday this week but I'm not logging. I felt a little niggle in my left pec while benching Tuesday so I got concerned and immediately stopped benching. I finished all the other workouts but held back just to be careful. The left pec was sore by the armpit but no bruising and it's no longer sore. I'm sure its nothing but I would rather be safe than sorry. It's Happened before and rest fixed it. Going to the gym tonight to hit grippers and pinch. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Went to the gym tonight and rebounded nicely. Had a great gripper night: 

Leg extensions

3 sets of 10

lying hamstring curls

3 sets of 10

calf raises 

4 sets of 20

Right Hand Grippers

182 lb RB 330 - 3 singles. First one was iffy (bad set) but the last two I felt the handles grind. The best I have done with this gripper since surgery.

174 lb RB 280 - 4 singles. These felt easy. Should have used one gripper up

Right Hand RBA Negatives 

3 10 second holds

Right Hand Frankenstein

7 singles with a harder setting than before.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little behind in the log. Some annoying stuff happened last week. First, my YouTube was hacked and someone deleted all my videos. I was pretty pissed but I have another channel going since my rehab so I'll just have to recreate those feats and go further and document in that channel. Second, I got rear ended on my way to work. I was stopped at a red light and a woman didn't stop and she hit the guy behind me and he was pushed into me. Thank god my car is a tank. Not going to back log the workouts that week. Here is Thursday's workout with the warm ups:

Deadlifts

230 lbs - 5 reps

265 lbs - 5 reps

300 lbs - 10 reps. Anyone who knows me or my log, knows I have a history of ankle and leg problems. The left ankle being the worst since I have metal in there permanently. I feel I'm finally over those now. Legs and ankle feel solid. Now I just need to get them strong

Standing overhead press

110 lbs - 5 reps

130 lbs - 5 reps

145 lbs - 10 reps

7's barbell curls

65 lbs

70 lbs

75 lbs

skull crushers + close grip press

75 lbs - 10+10 reps

85 lbs - 10+10 reps 

95 lbs - 10+10 reps

machine rows

3 sets of 10 reps

Lying hamstring curls

3 sets of 10 reps 

Edited by Chez

Great Right hand gripper day at the gym today. I set a brand new post surgery PR. Here is the workout minus the warm ups:

Ab Machine

4 sets of 20 reps

Leg Extensions

4 sets of 10-12 reps

Seated Calf Machine

4 sets of 20 reps

Right Hand Grippers

186 lb MM3 Replica - Very slight Miss like 1/16 inch. This happens sometimes. I miss the first attempt and it wakes me up. Its like a boxer who needs to get punched in the face to know hes in a fight :tongue

186 lb MM3 Replica - Closed! for a post surgery PR. The set went out of frame and the close started out of frame. Hell, the angle of my hand to the camera is horrible but I was able to get a still of the close and felt the handles touch. I'll take it. Video below. 

186 lb MM3 Replica - Miss. I wanted a second one but not today. I'll have to wait till next time. 

176 MM3 Replica - 2 Singles

174 RB 280 - 2 Singles

Right Hand RBA negatives

3 negs with 10 second holds

Silvis Frankenstein Gripper

10 singles - I want to start upping the volume now as a finisher. 

Here is the 186 MM3 Close on my new youtube Channel. All videos will be upload to this new channel:

Next up. My 190lb RGC MM5 Replica!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3