Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

On 2/16/2016 at 9:43 PM, JakeNS said:

Good work man!

On 2/16/2016 at 0:44 AM, Geralt said:

Hell yeah! 

Thanks guys. Getting back in a groove feels great. lots of work ahead but I'm looking forward to it. 

Another great workout where I set a post surgery PR. I have a hit critical point in my recovery being 16 weeks post op. At this point, re-tearing the bicep is unlikely. I'm up to using a 10 lb dumbbell for high rep curls and I get to add 15-20% to that every week now until my strength is all the way back. I hit some grippers with legs, abs and low back. I worked up to a COC #3 CCS double right hand which is my best since surgery. Then I went up for CCS singles with a harder #3. I did some MMS singles, doubles, triples. I finished off with some TNS doubles. I also worked my pinch with thumbscrews and my wrist with wrist curls in both directions and levering in both directions. I'm still hitting all my other workouts but I'm saving the log for this right now until I'm 100% back. 

on a personal note, my place is really coming along with the renovations. I have some new appliances coming, an area rug and a counter top and I will finally be done.  

Here is the video of the COC #3 CCS double:

" We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

• Like 7

Another week and another gripper post surgery PR. I worked up to MMS singles with my 160 RGC (CPW Rating) MM1 Replica. It was incredibly easy. I hit 3 stright singles and then finished out with my normal doubles, triples and TNS work. Also raised the weight I'm using with my arm on exercises across the board. Here is the first MM1 MMS close:

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-Michael Jordan

Edited by Chez
  • Like 7

Cool brother. I can hear the happiness in your voice! Very satisfying feeling eh. With the way you are rising again you can afford an 'off week' every now and then. By the end of the year you'll be mashing the (really) big grippers again for sure. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Geralt said:

Cool brother. I can hear the happiness in your voice! Very satisfying feeling eh. With the way you are rising again you can afford an 'off week' every now and then. By the end of the year you'll be mashing the (really) big grippers again for sure. 

haha. ya, kind of an evil laugh since I thought that would be a big effort but it felt effortless so I was pretty happy. Recovery is going faster than I thought but I always hold myself back. I could have tried my next gripper up but didn't to be safe. Next workout. I know this progress will eventually slow but I'm having fun riding the wave for now.  

• Like 3

SOOO AWESOME!!!

this is so much fun to follow, great to see how your power is just coming back to you!!! and, man, that laughter, just makes you smile, one hears how easy that was for you and how nice it was to smash it!
also, makes me think about a fellow swede (I am from sweden): 

• Like 3

On March 1, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Peter Brannstrom said:

SOOO AWESOME!!!

this is so much fun to follow, great to see how your power is just coming back to you!!! and, man, that laughter, just makes you smile, one hears how easy that was for you and how nice it was to smash it!
also, makes me think about a fellow swede (I am from sweden): 

Lol. Thanks buddy. Pushing my limits and challenging myself makes me feel alive. It's an amazing high.

Feeling great and continuing to make progress. Today I closed my 165lb BB Elite MMS 3 straight times with no problem. After that I did my normal MMS, CCS and TNS work. My arm is feeling great also. I keep adding weight to curls and other excercises with no problem. The tendon feels rock solid. Next week, I'm shooting for my lightest COC #3.5. My place is really coming along great also. I just got new appliances delivered friday and this week they are installing a new granite countertop. We are having people over for Easter, so I'm making a push to get as much done as possible. It wont be 100% done but It will be close enough for guests. Here is the first elite close today: 

• Like 6

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, Chez said:

Feeling great and continuing to make progress. Today I closed my 165lb BB Elite MMS 3 straight times with no problem. After that I did my normal MMS, CCS and TNS work. My arm is feeling great also. I keep adding weight to curls and other excercises with no problem. The tendon feels rock solid. Next week, I'm shooting for my lightest COC #3.5. My place is really coming along great also. I just got new appliances delivered friday and this week they are installing a new granite countertop. We are having people over for Easter, so I'm making a push to get as much done as possible. It wont be 100% done but It will be close enough for guests. Here is the first elite close today: 

Chez glad I'm posting more and am catching up with everybody.  I didn't know you had surgery my man.  Speedy recovery or good recovery I mean is most important of all. Elite close looked easy buddy!  Onwards and upwards on your journey back my friend :rock

1 hour ago, Forever said:

Chez glad I'm posting more and am catching up with everybody.  I didn't know you had surgery my man.  Speedy recovery or good recovery I mean is most important of all. Elite close looked easy buddy!  Onwards and upwards on your journey back my friend :rock

Thanks buddy. I was happy about that Elite close last week, but I decided to one up myself again this week and close my 172lb COC #3.5 MMS today. In fact, I did it 3 straight times no problem. This is the #3.5 I have CCS closed in the past. Here is the first MMS close of the day:

" Every moment is a new moment. So now you've got to go out and show them that I'm a different creature – NOW – than I was five minutes ago."

-Ray Lewis

Now I gotta think about what the goal is next week. I'm just excited to get back to my old self. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, patrickmeniru said:

Great job Chez, looked pretty comfortable on camera.

Thanks man. I hope u are doing well. This injury has been very humbling. I'm setting my sights on grippers I use to toy with. I'm taking this positively though. Maybe I was getting complacent and this will help remotivate me. My goal for this Sunday is my 176 mm3. I'll give it everything I have.

I know COC3.5 is going take some time for me. Very impressive!

Before your injury, how long did it take for you to go up from (normal or hard)#3 CCS to (normal or hard)#3.5 CCS?

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I know COC3.5 is going take some time for me. Very impressive!

Before your injury, how long did it take for you to go up from (normal or hard)#3 CCS to (normal or hard)#3.5 CCS?

Hey Morgan. Thanks for the kind words. I will have to look back into my log to provide you with that info. I'm always super busy during the week but will make sure to post that info this weekend for you. I will say that the thing that slowed me down was juggling way to many goals ( different gripper certs with different rules like set width etc and other grip and bending goals). If I focused on grippers only it would have went faster since grippers came so naterally to me. There was also a learning curve. Once I figured out what worked for me through trial and error it clicked and I took off. 

I see your new to the board. I looked forward to watching your progress and if you ever have any other questions feel free to ask. I enjoy helping people with training.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hey Morgan. Thanks for the kind words. I will have to look back into my log to provide you with that info. I'm always super busy during the week but will make sure to post that info this weekend for you. I will say that the thing that slowed me down was juggling way to many goals ( different gripper certs with different rules like set width etc and other grip and bending goals). If I focused on grippers only it would have went faster since grippers came so naterally to me. There was also a learning curve. Once I figured out what worked for me through trial and error it clicked and I took off. 

I see your new to the board. I looked forward to watching your progress and if you ever have any other questions feel free to ask. I enjoy helping people with training.

Thanks Chez! You are the best!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chez said:

Thanks man. I hope u are doing well. This injury has been very humbling. I'm setting my sights on grippers I use to toy with. I'm taking this positively though. Maybe I was getting complacent and this will help remotivate me. My goal for this Sunday is my 176 mm3. I'll give it everything I have.

Yeah I'm all good thanks, just moved to Amsterdam for 6 months with work so looking for a useable gym (both I've tried so far are aimed at office workers and don't have proper equipment/enough plates to actually deadlift/squat heavy).  Managed to TNS my #3 out of the blue a few weeks ago, so going to try and get back into grippers a bit more and go for a #3.5 MMS righty and #3 TNS lefty in the next few months.

I think you're handling it really well, I think it's really healthy to focus on progress and not dwell on where you were a few months/years ago, that way you'll eventually exceed your old PRs by building up little by little.  Looking forward to following your training going forward as ever.

• Like 1

Just a little motivation for this weekend. This was me at my peak crush strength in 2014 closing John's Eaton's COC #4. That same night, I closed Aaron's #4 twice and after all that, I hit 250 lbs on the Aaron's baseline dyno on my second try on it ever after driving over an hr after work on a work trip (this is in AZ but I live in NY) the end of the week. I will get back to this and then blow past it using some new techniques I have learned. Training smarter and harder!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Chez-

you used to do the Pop's Crush Booster...are you going to get back to that exercise?

Ya, I definitely will once my arm is fully recovered. I also have some grippers being made for me by Aaron with his special choker set up. 3 adjustables. one with a megeldon spring, one with an mm8 spring and one with a pro spring:) some future planning here. This will cover the range of #3.5 to over MM8. My set fingers were breaking down once I got to #4 level so these grippers will let me train MMS at a high level while saving my skin. I know I can't rely on this though because if I do too much my set strength will drop. These will be for when my skin is too beat up to set. While injured I thought about what stopped me and how to get past it this time. This is the train smarter part on my training. I was too stubborn to try this stuff. Thinking I'm tough enough to push through etc.  I know now that if I want to completely maximize my potential (going beyond eaton's #4) I have to really think about how to overcome obstacles.  

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan. A filed handle for your adjustable would be really nice too. 

Aaron had a really good idea with that choke style.

hope you make Eaton's 4 your bitch next time you meet!

• Like 2

I changed my training split up to fit the days I know I can dedicate to training so I hit right hand grippers today instead of my usual sundays. I closed my 176 MM3 Replica today Right Hand for a post surgery PR. I'm not going to lie, It wasn't easy. My hand was all over the place so the video isn't great but I put in a still at the end showing the gripper closed. Camera wasn't focusing great also because of all the hand movement. I need to work on my video skills again. I use to be pretty good at taking gripper videos but I have noticed my angle to the camera has been off since recovering from the surgery. My palm is too pointed to the side every time so I have to move to get the handle directly in front of the camera and this wastes energy. Happy to hit the PR though. Hoping to hit the 180s again within the next couples weeks. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Chez said:

I changed my training split up to fit the days I know I can dedicate to training so I hit right hand grippers today instead of my usual sundays. I closed my 176 MM3 Replica today Right Hand for a post surgery PR. I'm not going to lie, It wasn't easy. My hand was all over the place so the video isn't great but I put in a still at the end showing the gripper closed. Camera wasn't focusing great also because of all the hand movement. I need to work on my video skills again. I use to be pretty good at taking gripper videos but I have noticed my angle to the camera has been off since recovering from the surgery. My palm is too pointed to the side every time so I have to move to get the handle directly in front of the camera and this wastes energy. Happy to hit the PR though. Hoping to hit the 180s again within the next couples weeks. 

Nice close! I am sure you can close more then  RGC180 very soon. I also closed GHP8 and COC3.5(CPW180) today. I just order easy COC4(CPW206) and hope I can close it with deep set within 6 months.

• Like 1

Thanks Morgan. I may do some block work with 170s grippers for a week or 2 to slow down. I'm a little worried about going to fast. Setting big grippers loads up the recovering bicep. 

Congrats on the 180 close man. That is world class. Keep grinding

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Got my 3.5 with a one inch block set today with complete ease. I planned on trying 30 mm block but I couldn't find it. I went for a 1.5 inch block set right after and I'm not sure if I got it. My hand went out of camera frame. If I missed it wasn't by much. Here is the one inch block close

• Like 4