Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Big closes!

Thanks dude.

Great workouts! Very inspyering!

Hey man, had a busy weekend so I wasn't on GB much but I checked out your video and that's awesome! All dominant closes. You're back! Also....

Left Hand Grippers

144 COC #3 = 1x, 1x, 1x - All too easy

Go to hell.

• Like 2

Chez, on 01 Mar 2015 - 1:05 PM, said: Left Hand Grippers 144 COC #3 = 1x, 1x, 1x - All too easy Go to hell.

haha. just a note to increase the gripper I use next time.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Inspirational stuff as always Chez, must admit that I only read the posts from October to present - sorry to hear that you injured your ankle badly - however, you seem to have gone about recovery in a really smart way (talking yourself out of going for too much too soon is so hard!) and I have little doubt that you'll come out of the other end mentally stronger for it - I know how tough rehabbing can be! I also find that my strength goes up in every regard when I feel 'whole' (i.e. not injured in any way) so hopefully getting stronger again in your ankle can give you a little boost in strength elsewhere!

Gripper work is off the charts strong compared to last time I dipped into the log, lefty and righty. I haven't touched mine in a long old while, so time is coming to dust them off again and get back on the road.

Keep up the good work my friend!

Great workouts! Very inspyering!

thanks dude.

Inspirational stuff as always Chez, must admit that I only read the posts from October to present - sorry to hear that you injured your ankle badly - however, you seem to have gone about recovery in a really smart way (talking yourself out of going for too much too soon is so hard!) and I have little doubt that you'll come out of the other end mentally stronger for it - I know how tough rehabbing can be! I also find that my strength goes up in every regard when I feel 'whole' (i.e. not injured in any way) so hopefully getting stronger again in your ankle can give you a little boost in strength elsewhere!

Gripper work is off the charts strong compared to last time I dipped into the log, lefty and righty. I haven't touched mine in a long old while, so time is coming to dust them off again and get back on the road.

Keep up the good work my friend!

Thanks dude. The ankle injury really set me back with squats and deadlifts etc. I didn't log my numbers for several months since I was embarrassed at how low they were. It took several months to walk without a limp. I wanted to leave my ego at the door so I used extremely light weight in the beginning and didn't log the numbers so I wouldn't focus on them. my numbers on those lifts are still low but at least respectful enough to log now. To be honest the ankle was bad for like 2 years before the surgery and even before I never felt right so my numbers weren't great for a long time. I was stubborn and was training through pain.

Edited by Chez

behind in the log again. The good news is that I got the place I was trying to buy and I'm trying to schedule the closing. I will update the log soon. This Sunday we are doing a mock comp in preparation for the New York Grip Throw Down III. should be fun.

• Like 1

Time to catch up in the log again. A few days in each post as always

3/1/15

Extensors

IM Red = 50 reps each hand

IM Red and IM White = 2 sets of 50 reps each hand

Standing Calf Raises

BW = 20x

BW + 105 lbs = 3 sets of 20x

Ankle Work

Crunches with resistance

3/3/15

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

135 lbs = 10x

165 lbs = 10x

190 lbs = 10 x

Barbell Rows

135 lbs = 3 sets of 10x

Dumbbell Rear Laterals

15 lb DB = 3 sets of 10x each side

3/4/15

Sledge Slim Lever from Floor

8lbs Sledge = 3 sets of 10x each hand

Sledge Lever to the head

8lb Sledge = 3 sets of 6x each hand

Plate Curls

25 lb Plate = 6x each hand

25 lb Plate = 6x right, 5x left

25 lb Plate = 6x right, 3x left

Sledge Rear Lever

6 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 5x each hand

Sup/pron

7.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10x each hand

3/6/15

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

80 lbs = 5x

100 lbs = 5x

122 lbs = 3x

130 lbs = 5x

150 lbs = 5x

172.5 lbs = 7x

Barbell Close Grip Bench Press

152.5 lbs = 10x

182.5 lbs = 10x

215 lbs = 10x

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 12x

97.5 lbs = 3 sets of 12x

Close Grip Push Ups

3 sets of 10x

3/8/15

Deadlifts

137.5 lbs = 5x

172.5 lbs = 5x

207.5 lbs = 3x

225 lbs = 5x

260 lbs = 5x

295 lbs = 5x

Wrist Wrench

30 lbs = 5x each hand

45 lbs = 5x each hand

55 lbs = 1x each hand

65 lbs = 1x each hand

75 lbs = 1x each hand

55 lbs = 3 sets of 5x each hand

- Just got this thing and this is my first time trying it. I really like it. Its very humbling. A little bit of weight feel super heavy.

Rolling Thunder

126.5 lbs = 3 sets of 5x each hand

IM Horn

111 lbs = 3 sets of 5x each hand

3/10

Front Squats

45 lbs = 10x

65 lbs = 5x

95 lbs = 3 sets of 10x

Euro 2HP

54 lbs = 10x

104 lbs = 5x

134 lbs = 2x

154 lbs = 1x

174 lbs = 1x

184 lbs = 1x

154 lbs = 3 sets of 5x

- Bought Jedd's Euro DVD. I finally learned the proper technique on the Euro but I think the width I usually use is too narrow now so I will go wider next session. This was just a technique session.

Blobs

45 lb Legacy = 3 sets of 5x each hand

Pops Dynamic 2HP

2 Reds bottom pegs = 3 sets of 25x

3/11

Standing calf raises

45 lbs = 20x

95 lbs = 3 sets of 20x

Barbell Rows

135 lbs = 3 sets of 12x

Dumbbell Rears Laterals

15 lb DB = 3 sets of 10x each side

3/14/15

Bench Press

127.5 lbs = 5x

160 = 5x

190 = 3x

222.5 = 3x

255 = 3x

287.5 = 2.5x - got stuck half way up on the last rep. I didn't feel confident going into the set and felt off balanced. Would have gotten it if I went into it more aggressive. Would have a been a PR for my last 3 rep set. Next time.

Incline Bench Press

172.5 lbs = 8x

200 = 8x

230 = 6x

3/15/15

We had a training session for the comp I am hosting next month. I ran through the big 3 (20mm block gripper, Euro and Axle). Pretty happy with my performance considering I wasn't going all out. I missed an axle PR by a hair. Tied my comp gripper PR (I have done a little better in training) and did the best I ever have on the euro (the new technique at the wider width felt great). I had the others run through the medley lifts which helped me figure out weights for the comp. Great day but I am super sore today so I took tonight off.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I'm going on vacation and won't be back until March 29th. I won't have internet access. The cruise ship has a good gym but I only plan on going a couple times and doing light workouts to stay sharp. My body need the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation. I did like 2 workouts before vacation and went to the gym 3 times on the ship but did very light workouts there. Not going to bother logging those workouts. Tonight I tried my GHP 8 (174.6 lb RGC) CCS. missed it but at least I know where I stand on this gripper now CCS. Its the next hardest gripper in my collection that I have to CCS. GHPs are brutally hard to CCS because of their wide spread and tough sweep making them feel much tougher than their rating. I tried my GHP 8 CCS after closing a friend's GHP 8 MMS, closing the friend's GHP 8 with a 30 mm block set and missing the friend's GHP 8 CCS. Here is the attempt on my GHP 8 CCS:

lots of work to do but I'll get there. I'll log the details of this workout soon.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Good effort my friend, I'm sure you'll get that pretty soon, only a few mm in it!

You would have had that if One Direction wasn't playing!

Thank guys.

I actually hit a 20mm block set gripper close PR with my Off hand (left) today using that 174.6 GHP 8. here is the vid:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Super behind in the log. So much going on. I closed on my home and I'm trying to get it ready to move in (e.g. painting, buying furniture and redoing the kitchen) so my weekends are devoted to that. This past Saturday I held the New York Grip Throw Down 3 grip competition and it was a huge success. We had 19 people compete. Lots of PRs and a great time with great people. I'm not going to bother logging the workouts I forgot to in the log since the only major highlights where caught on video in the log above. Here is a recap on how I did on each event.

Event 1 - 20mm Block Gripper

- This is obviously my strongest event and I was hoping to set a new comp PR and tie my training PR by getting my 192 gripper. But things didn't go as planned.....

Attempt 1 = I opened with my 185.8 gripper and got it but not as easy as it usually is so I was concerned right off the bat. my set technique felt off. This happens from time to time when I focus on wide set work and my set gets funky.

Attempt 2 = Missed my 189.85 and I was pissed. I just closed this last month at out mock comp training session no problem and I close it consistently with the block all the time. Again my set felt horrible. Pinky was in the wrong spot and was sliding off the end of the handle.

Attempt 3 = Missed the 189.85 again. I actually stopped the attempt pretty quick because the set felt so dam bad. jedd said I was super close and might have gotten it if I didn't quit so fast but I was just super pissed with the set and it messed with my head.

Attempt 4 = Time to man up. I knew I had to commit this time. I got the 189.85 this time finally by digging deep. I even got light headed which often happens to me on heavy gripper attempts. This ties my competition PR from this past summer. This close ranks me third on gripsport.org but I really wanted the 192 to move to second. oh well, next time.

Event 2 - Euro Two Hand Pinch

- We used Jedd's euro which has an awesome texture. I typically pull 10lbs more on it then mine. My PR of 208.2 was on this device. I knew I had a chance at a new PR since my pinch is stronger since the last time I have tried this euro.

Attempt 1 - I opened conservatively with 199.5 and got it no problem. I always like to start light with raising bar event to make sure I don't bomb out.

Attempt 2 - got 204.64. I probably should have went higher. I'm too dam conservative.

Attempt 3 - Got 209.99 for a brand new PR!

Attempt 4 - wow, just missed 215.09. It was less than 1/2 inch from the cross bar. So pissed. I should have made 209.99 my 2nd attempt and saved the energy for this weight. I probably would have gotten it that way. Oh well, next time. Still very happy to PR.

Event 3 - DO Axle

- my axle can be very inconsistent so I had no clue what to expect.

Attempt 1 - I opened conservatively again to get on the board with 323.7 and got it no problem.

Attempt 2 - got a competition PR with 339.75. because of my past ankle issues I haven't been able to do comps with the axle for a long time so I haven't had chances to PR.

Attempt 3 - WOW, just missed a new PR of 345.1. It was right freaking there. I just had to lock out my back a little more. Argh!

Attempt 4 - tried 345.1 again but this attempt wasn't as good. I gave it all on the last one.

- Pretty happy with the axle considering all the ankle problems. My ankle continues to get stronger. I'm still not 100% but I'm very happy to continue to move in the right direction. I was actually walking pretty well after the comp and the next day when in the past I was struggling to walk during a comp. Hell, I even ran for the first time since the surgery the next day. I was amazed by that. I'll be back stronger than ever.

I ended up finishing second to Jedd in the overall rankings out of 19 guys which is what I was hoping for (Jedd is out my league for now). I'm happy with tying my gripper PR, setting a new pinch and axle PR and narrowly missing even higher pinch and axle numbers.

tomorrow I will resume training for nationals in June. I haven't been to nationals since 2012 when my ankle was already starting to decline. Looking forward to going back.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Having some fun with my lightest #3 after some heavy CCS attempts. I was having an off night so I needed to mix it up. Tired Max TNS reps

• Like 2

Paint Can No Set reps, nice.

What, so you think you're better than me?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still training, but life has been crazy. Work has really picked up (I have to travel for work May 28th and 29th) and my weekends are still dedicated to getting my new place ready to move in (I have to be there all weekend long again). I squeeze (pun intended) my workouts in late at night but I'm spacing them out a little more than usually since my body is a little beat up from working on the place. I booked my hotel and rental car for north american grip nationals. I'm driving down with my friend and fellow tri-state grip collective member Brian Burgos. It will be nice to make the long drive with company and have a fellow new yorker competing with me. I'm shooting for a gripper and axle PR! No clue how I will do on the other events (they use a brand new euro at nationals so no chance of a PR there and I haven't used the wrist roller in a long time).

No time to log lately, but I will get back on track with the log soon.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Chez,

Was wondering if you are retired or secretly still crushing the life out of heavy grippers?

hey Royz,

I haven't retired. this year has been super busy though so i couldn't keep up with the log and my training has been more sporadic when i have time. Unfortunately, i injured myself training for the king kong comp. tore my bicep on the v bar the week before the comp. I just had surgery Friday and now I have to focus on recovery. I'm going to take the year off from comps and focus on grippers again since they dont place much stress on the bicep. the log will be up and running eventually.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 8