Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Nice man! Would've liked to have been there, sorry I couldn't make it. Sounds like you had a very productive session.

Awesome hitting 343lbs double overhand axle! I struggle so much with that lift, big congrats bringing yours back up so fast.

Thanks fellas

Tonight I trained right hand grippers and I closed my 190 MM5 for 2 straight singles and only missed the 3rd by a little because of a bad set. Last workout I trained Left hand grippers and closed my 176 MM3 which tied my left hand PR. The crush is coming back nicely. I plan on testing my max on deadlifts tomorrow and then i'll update the log for the week.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Continuing to get stronger on deadlifts since the surgery so I decided to push myself today. Worked up to a single at 365 lbs. I felt I had more in me but decided to be smart and call it there for the day. I really wanted to add at least 20 more lbs but I talked myself out of it. Baby steps. I'm way ahead of schedule and super happy. I feel 405 will happen by summer. Here is the 365 lift:

• Like 2

Great job Chez, you'll be getting 405 by the end of the month! That rogue bar looks great, I might be trying to pick one of those up. Have you ever tried sumo deadlift?

Great job Chez, you'll be getting 405 by the end of the month! That rogue bar looks great, I might be trying to pick one of those up. Have you ever tried sumo deadlift?

Thanks Tom. I haven't really messed around with sumo much on an oly bar, but I do pull sumo Double overhand axle. My grip feels better sumo on the axle since my hands come straight down in that stance. I might try to see how I feel sumo stance with an oly bar in the upcoming months.

• Like 1

I feel quite a bit stronger in the sumo, grip and overall pulling wise. You're on the right track dude, I'm backing off axle to improve my DL form... Speed and less overall effort can help the grip at the edge of your hand limit.

I feel quite a bit stronger in the sumo, grip and overall pulling wise. You're on the right track dude, I'm backing off axle to improve my DL form... Speed and less overall effort can help the grip at the edge of your hand limit.

Thanks Jon. I'm feeling good about my recent axle PR despite my ankle not being a 100%. I actually own an ironmind axle now which is great. When James came by to train he had me try baby inch time holds. I normally don't train holds but I really felt them and I plan on incorporating them into my routine so we will see if that helps my axle even more. I plan on mixing things up more this year. maybe even do some band work with grip.

Great to see you're still at it Chez. Inspiring stuff as always.

Kind of a broad question that you may not be able to answer, but how far out do you think you are from a 3.5 cert?

Great to see you're still at it Chez. Inspiring stuff as always.

Kind of a broad question that you may not be able to answer, but how far out do you think you are from a 3.5 cert?

Thanks buddy. I have had some set backs but I will always keep fighting.

Even though I haven't been training CCS lately I'm pretty sure I can still CCS lighter #3.5s at the moment (like the 172 #3.5 I have). My peak crush strength was this past summer when I closed a couple older model #4's MMS and got the MM6 cert. After that, I decided to focus on the events for the king kong grip comp because I had some bad comp performances in the past because of my ankle problems and I wanted to change that. It worked well and I finished with a high placing at the 3 comps I competed in this past year. My biggest problem is that I have so many goals that I have a tough time balancing them. I'm back to focusing on grippers now and I really want to get the #3.5 and MM7 cert this year. As soon as I can CCS my 180 lb #3.5 consistently I plan on signing up for the cert. I MMS closed it last workout as a warm up with complete ease and ground the handles together. I'm also trying to return to grip nationals this year after not making it in 2013 and 2014 because my ankle got so bad. I honestly haven't competed healthy in a comp since my first comp back in February 2012 when I was only like 7 months into training grip.

I am going to get that #3.5 cert this year no matter what!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Took the day off from training since I'm pretty sore. Good time to update the log with this week's workouts

12/29/14

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

87.5 lbs = 5 reps

110 lbs = 5 reps

132.5 lbs = 5 reps

165 lbs 5 reps

187.5 lbs = 3 reps

209 lbs = fail. The plan was to hit this for a single but I didn't have it in me tonight. Set down on the safety bars

200 lbs = 1 rep. Lifted from a dead stop on the safety bars from the last single attempt which I failed on.

Close Grip Flat Bench Press

192.5 lbs = 5 reps

222.5 lbs = 5 reps

252.5 lbs = 5 reps. Last one was a grinder

Grippers Left Hand (All MMS)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

171.5 lb BBE = 1 rep

176.05 MM3 = very close. slight miss

176.05 MM3 = 1 rep. pumped myself up and got it. Ties my previous off hand PR.

171.5 BBE = 1 rep

171.5 BBE = 1 rep

160 MM1 = 1 rep

153 COC #3 = 2 sets of 2 reps

144 COC #3 = 2 sets of 3 reps

Crush Booster Holds Left Hand

Bug Purple and Red = (3) 10 second holds

• Like 1

1/2/15

Gripper Right Hand (MMS unless stated otherwise)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

179.7 lb COC #3.5 = 1 rep. Real easy and heard/felt the hands grind

189.85 lb MM5 = 1 rep. Felt/heard the handles grind. Feeling strong

189.85 lb MM5 = 1 rep. nice grind again.

189.85 lb MM5 = slight miss. Really bad set that cost me a lot of power.

174 RB 280 = 3 sets of 3 reps

153 COC #3 = slight miss CCS. Definitely feeling fatigued.

144 COC #3 = 1 CCS rep

141 COC #3 = 1 CCS rep

213 MM8 spring with 1/2 mount = 10 second negative hold

Crush Booster Holds Right Hand

Big Purple = (2) 10 second holds

CloseGrip Push Ups

10 reps

Feet up = 2 sets of 10 reps

Front Squats

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 5 reps

95 lbs = 5 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

115 lbs = 5 reps

- starting to feeling better on these. Weight was too low. Need to increase it next time.

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

85 lbs = 5 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

115 lbs = 2 sets of 8 reps

• Like 1

1 rep on overhead presses? Bro, you're training too light. Put more weight on and drop the reps. Yeesh

1/3/15

Decided to test where my max is on deadlifts right now. My ankle isn't 100 percent yet but its feeling much better so I wanted a gauge of where I am at for the next cycle

Deadlifts

135 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 2 reps

275 lbs = 2 reps

315 lbs = 1 rep

335 lbs = 1 rep

365 lbs = 1 rep. Felt real good. Video above in the log. I really wanted to add another 20 lbs and give that a try but I decided not to truly max and be cautious since my ankle still needs lots of work. Good enough. I have an idea of where I am right now. Time to get some reps in.

225 lbs = 5 rep

275 lbs = 3 reps

315 lbs = 3 reps. I 'll stop there.

Standing Calf Raises

Body weight + 45 lb bar = 3 sets of 30 reps

Dumbbell Rows

81.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 15 reps each side

Jack Knives

3 sets of 10 reps

Extensors

IM red band = 3 sets of 100 reps each hand

Ankle Work

1 rep on overhead presses? Bro, you're training too light. Put more weight on and drop the reps. Yeesh

haha. I'm such a noob. I'll figure it out eventually :upsidedwn

• Like 1

It'll take some time for the ankle but it'll be stronger than ever. Mine is fully mobile and able to handle whatever load is put on it. The work you're doing will help toughen it up good.

• Like 1

It'll take some time for the ankle but it'll be stronger than ever. Mine is fully mobile and able to handle whatever load is put on it. The work you're doing will help toughen it up good.

I am so glad I went with the less invasive surgery. I think the doctor did a great job on the surgery but he didn't warn me how long the rehab would be. He made it sound like I would do nothing and everything would be fine in 3 months. Now I know from speaking to another doctor and a PT that this will take a lot of effort on my part to get back to 100%. Thanks for checking it out Jason. You are crazy strong on the power lifts and the fact that you overcame a major injury to the same area is encouraging.

Thanks man! Ya the Dr figured my ankle would be all gimped up and arthritic within a couple of years of the surgery but I'm guessing most of his case history was from people that are pretty sedentary and don't really give their ankles a reason to toughen up and stay mobile.

Thanks man! Ya the Dr figured my ankle would be all gimped up and arthritic within a couple of years of the surgery but I'm guessing most of his case history was from people that are pretty sedentary and don't really give their ankles a reason to toughen up and stay mobile.

True. I had 3 doctors suggest the more invasion surgery and they told me I wouldn't be able to lift heavy again after the surgery. I knew I had to find another way. I'm super happy I cancelled that surgery a week before it was suppose to happen.

Chest and Arms Tonight

1/6/15

Flat Barbell Bench Press

125 lbs = 5 reps

157.5 lbs = 5 reps

190 lbs = 3 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

267.5 lbs = 5 reps. I believe this is the most I have done for 5 reps in a while. It def wasn't a max effort and I left some in the tank also. This program is working well.

- I filmed my 3 bench press working sets. Video below. I have a habit of raising my head off the bench during my heaviest set. I need to stop that.

Incline Barbell Bench Press

142 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

198.5 lbs = 10 reps

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs 3 sets of 12 reps

Close Grip Push Ups Feet Up

3 sets of 10 reps

There are the Bench Press Working Sets:

definitely had at least 1 more rep in me on the last set if I got pumped up. I was a little tired tonight and getting the prescribed reps was good enough for me.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

still training. Just been too busy to keep up with the log. I plan on updating Friday night. I found out this morning that I got the mortgage for the new place that I am trying to buy (I went to a big bank this time and needed a little more than last time since this new place is a little more expensive). Next step is getting board approval since its a coop again (this is what stopped my last time since the last board was known for being very picky). I'm preparing the board application this weekend and submitting it Monday. Send some good vibes my way guys. I really want this place.

Edited by Chez

Got a glass of wine and its time to catch up with this log. 2 days per post. changing up my rep ranges a little this. This year I'm going to do higher reps one week for everything, then slightly lower the next week and then even lower the next and repeat (kind of like 5/3/1 which I am following for regular lifting but I'm now doing something similar for grip just different reps etc). I feel this will let me recover better. I can't go all out all the time since its exhausting.

1/7/15

Standing Calf Raises

Body weight + 65 lbs = 3 sets of 30 reps

Sledge Deadlift to 18 inches

12 lb sledge @ 12 inches = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Sledge to forehead

8 lbs sledge full length = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Plate Curls

25 lbs Plate = 2 sets of 8 reps each hand

Supination/Pronation

7.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

1/11/15

Squats

100 lbs = 5 reps

125 lbs = 5 reps

147.5 lbs = 3 reps

160 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

210 lbs = 5 reps

- Not bad. These are much harder than deadlifts for my ankle because of the increased range of motion needed to get low.

Rolling Thunder

96.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

121.5 lbs = 3 reps each hand

141.5 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

IM Horn

111 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

DO Axle Stiff Leg Deadlifts

173 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Extensors

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 100 reps each hand

1/12/15

Took it easy tonight. Just Ankle work.

1/13/15

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

87.5 lbs = 5 reps

110 lbs = 5 reps

132.5 lbs = 3 reps

142.5 lbs = 5 reps

165 lbs = 5 reps

187.5 lbs = 4 reps. Missed the 5th. I think its time to readjust my training max on this exercise since I have been having trouble getting the prescribed reps.

Close Grip Barbell Bench Press

150 lbs = 10 reps

180 lbs = 10 reps

210 lbs = 10 reps

Dumbbell Rows

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

1/14/15

Euro 2hp

53 lbs = 10 reps

104 lbs = 5 reps

129 lbs = 3 reps

154 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

- hmmm.....I don't like higher reps with this. Thumb webbing took a beating. I think I'll start using my sorinex 2 inch pinch block which is nice and smooth/rounded.

Blobs

45 lb Legacy Blob = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

IM Hub

45 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Pop's Grip Machine Dynamic Pinch

2 Blue Bands on bottom Pegs = 3 sets of 15 reps

- Note Went to the PT tonight and my ankle is doing really great. We are cutting down to 1 PT visit a week.

1/17/15

Grippers Right Hand (MMS unless stated otherwise)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Original #3 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

MM1 Replica = 1 rep

Light #3.5 = 1 rep

Unnamed Gripper = 2 CCS attempts. Missed both by a paper width. So pissed I don't feel like mentioning the gripper. I should have gotten these. I think I need a couple ccs warm ups next time.

172 lb COC #3.5 = 1 CCS Close. Video below. I submitted it to feat judging and its passed so I got added to the list. Its awesome that I am back up to a 170+ CCS Close

153 lb COC #3 = 2 sets of 2 CCS reps

144 lb COC #3 = 3 CCS reps

144 lb COC #3 = 2 CCS reps

140 lb COC #3 = 10 reps

144 lb COC #3 = 10 reps

144 lb COC #3 = 8 reps

- I can definitely increase the CCS volume a little and increase the gripper I use for MMS after. I want more 6 rep range for MMS work as a finisher.

Front Squats

45 lbs = 10 reps

75 lbs = 10 reps

85 lbs = 10 reps

96 lbs = 10 reps

Close Grip Push Ups

3 sets of 10 reps feet up on a chair.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

1/18/15

Deadlifts

135 lbs = 5 reps

167.5 lbs = 5 reps

202.5 lbs = 3 reps

220 lbs = 5 reps

252.5 lbs = 5 reps

285 lbs = 8 reps

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Rows

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 15 reps each side.

Great stuff you're doing man. Going to be interesting to see what you can produce with this new gripper scheme and where it will take you.

Great stuff you're doing man. Going to be interesting to see what you can produce with this new gripper scheme and where it will take you.

One hell of a workout buddy. Had a good laugh about the no name gripper btw :grin:

Thanks guys!

I hit another milestone today. I have been chasing it for a long time and I finally got it. Double COC #3 TNS close! Here is the video.

• Like 6