Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

What is your thought on these?

I was stuck at 130kg 1rm for 2 years on bench but 3 months ago I saw these vids and changed my training.

Huge lift in bench since then.

Seeing 140kg coming up any week now :)

Keep it up brotha!

Thanx dude. Lehman is a monster but he admits to being on roids. I have done higher reps in the past when I lifted like body builder and even though I was able get many reps with 225 my max did go up much. The high reps don't work for me. I'm currently using 5/3/1 and it's going good. When I stall out, I'll switch it up.

• Like 1

He was huge and strong as hell before he went on that shit tho.

531 is one set of high reps!

Edited by PeterSweden

He was huge and strong as hell before he went on that shit tho.

531 is one set of high reps!

The guy is definitely strong as hell.

5/3/1 is actually a famous powerlifting program not set of high reps. The name is a little deceiving.

You're supposed to Do as many reps as possible on the last set, yes?

In the beginning this will be high reps.

Ahh, dun matter. Keep it up man!

You're supposed to Do as many reps as possible on the last set, yes?

you don't have to. That is optional and if your percentages are right you shouldn't be able to do get many more over the prescribed reps. That would only happen if you are picking a weight under what you should for the programs percentage. The highest prescribed reps are 5. In the beginning weeks that set is the most reps which I think was around 9 or so for me. I have seen videos of Leeman doing over 30 reps on the bench press.

Edited by Chez

12/9/14

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

75 lbs = 10 reps

115 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

1 Arm DB Rear Laterals

20 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Close Grip Pushups Feet up on Chair

3 sets of 10 reps.

- Been throwing these in with the feet up because my girlfriend said my Moobs were getting droopy and I can't have that. These have definitely helped. I train for strength but I won't to look good as well.

Note - Not training grip for the rest of the week to make sure I am fresh for the training session on Saturday.

Hm. Is it possible to better perfection? lol ' Moobs' .

Have you ever considered throwing some kettlebells in? Really good stuff to work on conditioning while staying in place because of your restrictions with your ankle.

Hm. Is it possible to better perfection? lol ' Moobs' .

Have you ever considered throwing some kettlebells in? Really good stuff to work on conditioning while staying in place because of your restrictions with your ankle.

haha, I think this exercise is the key:

I'm just playing. Its actually not a conditioning issue. The current program I'm on focuses on incline and decline bench so my lower pecs aren't getting worked enough. The push ups with my feet up is helping fix that.

12/9/14

Ankle Work

Squats

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

205 lbs = 3 reps

215 lbs = 3 reps

225 lbs = 3 reps

- squats felt good. Gaining more and more stability. Going to keep upping the weight slowly.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

155 lbs = 8 reps

175 lbs = 8 reps

197 lbs = 6 reps

Note - Pretty cool thing about this session is that I didn't train grip but I picked up my lighter #3s (141 and 144) because they were on the counter and casually closed one or the other for 5 TNS singles without trying and without touching another gripper to warm up first. These felt super easy but I just decided to stop before it turned into a gripper workout. Throwing in the CCS work after my MMS work is definitely paying dividends for wide set closes.

• Like 3

Pretty cool thing about this session is that I didn't train grip but I picked up my lighter #3s (141 and 144) because they were on the counter and casually closed one or the other for 5 TNS singles without trying and without touching another gripper to warm up first. These felt super easy but I just decided to stop before it turned into a gripper workout.

Could you please refrain from using terms like 'super easy'? Especially in the context of TNS-ing a couple of 3's without warm-up. You're making me feel puny.

Edited by Royz
  • Like 2

She doesn't like the "beard" or the "moobs"... I am not sure about this "girlfriend".*

*This is strictly humor and is not an actual opinion of aforementioned girlfriend.

• Like 1

She doesn't like the "beard" or the "moobs"... I am not sure about this "girlfriend".*

*This is strictly humor and is not an actual opinion of aforementioned girlfriend.

Lol. I know right? Shes way too difficult. I like the disclaimer at the bottom.

Pretty cool thing about this session is that I didn't train grip but I picked up my lighter #3s (141 and 144) because they were on the counter and casually closed one or the other for 5 TNS singles without trying and without touching another gripper to warm up first. These felt super easy but I just decided to stop before it turned into a gripper workout.

Could you please refrain from using terms like 'super easy'? Especially in the context of TNS-ing a couple of 3's without warm-up. You're making me feel puny.

haha. My pitiful squat and deadlift numbers help even it out.

I like the disclaimer at the bottom.

If ever I should meet her, please don't let her hurt me.

shes small but shes feisty and fights dirty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not logging, but I video tapped my first set of barbell curls tonight. Got 135 lbs for 6 reps and tried to keep the form as strict as possible. I could have gotten more but it would have been sloppy. 6 reps is a PR right now. I'm going to start throwing in some videos of my regular weight lifting. Here is the video:

Curls for the girls

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Good stuff! I take the girls were on the other side of the camera? :grin:

Nice to hear you are going to post your other workouts on video now and than. I am doing the same now for my squatworkouts and it really helps watching form.

You always have the tendency to apologize that certain lifts aren't as big as they should be. Don't do that, Everything you do is highly above moderate to say the least.

Will be nice to see some training vids. It amps me up!

Edited by Geralt

Not logging, but I video tapped my first set of barbell curls tonight. Got 135 lbs for 6 reps and tried to keep the form as strict as possible. I could have gotten more but it would have been sloppy. 6 reps is a PR right now. I'm going to start throwing in some videos of my regular weight lifting. Here is the video:

Curls for the girls

Nice work Chez! There's a powerlifting federation (it's call "100% raw") that does a barbell curl as an event at some meets. I bet if you went to one you'd break some records!

Good stuff! I take the girls were on the other side of the camera? :grin:

Nice to hear you are going to post your other workouts on video now and than. I am doing the same now for my squatworkouts and it really helps watching form.

You always have the tendency to apologize that certain lifts aren't as big as they should be. Don't do that, Everything you do is highly above moderate to say the least.

Will be nice to see some training vids. It amps me up!

Thanks bud. I usually say stuff like that because their are guys doing crazy stuff on youtube. Its one of the reason I haven't put regular weight up on my channel. Going to change that though. I may even upload deadlift and squat vids enough though my numbers are horrible because of my ankle.

Nice work Chez! There's a powerlifting federation (it's call "100% raw") that does a barbell curl as an event at some meets. I bet if you went to one you'd break some records!

Thanks bud. That is pretty cool. I didn't know the curl was an event at meets. I would like to do a full meet one day once my ankle is strong.

• Like 1

Did some deadlifts tonight and hit a new PR since my surgery which was 1 year ago. 315 lbs for 5 reps. Not much but it took me several months to walk without a bad limp so I'm really happy with this tonight. I'm still not 100% but It keeps getting better. Physical therapy is really helping. Here are the deadlifts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mv_c3gri4.

I have a lot more work to do, but I look forward to the challenge

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

You dont need to downplay 315 for 5 reps man, that is solid. I just hit 305 for 1 rep the first time two weeks ago. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

You dont need to downplay 315 for 5 reps man, that is solid. I just hit 305 for 1 rep the first time two weeks ago. Keep up the good work.

Thanks dude and congratulations on your recent PR.

• Like 1

fell behind in the log again. oh well. I'll start logging again next workout. The past couple of months have been so dam busy and stressful. I got some cool gifts for Christmas.

Brand new power lifting bar. The zinc plated one = http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar

Brand new power lifting shoes = http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-adipower-weightlifting-shoes-black-scarlet-gray-metallic

James Retarides was in town visiting his in laws so he reached out to me for a training session yesterday. He lives in North Carolina and trains with Jason Otto, Bob Sundin and Robert Miller. Good guy and very strong. Fun day. We jumped around to lots of stuff but the highlight for me was a 343 double overhand axle. Pretty good considering my ankle isn't 100 percent yet. I couldn't pause it like I would have wanted because I lifted it uneven and it was tilted to my left big time. I hope to get 350 at my comp in April.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Nice man! Would've liked to have been there, sorry I couldn't make it. Sounds like you had a very productive session.

Awesome hitting 343lbs double overhand axle! I struggle so much with that lift, big congrats bringing yours back up so fast.