Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

4/26

This day was all about attempting my grand elite which rates at 197.84 lbs. I did several sets of squats and arnold DB shoulder presses. I also went on the bike for a while and did my usual prymaid through warm up grippers. Did everything I could to warm up and psych myself up. I kind of stop recording everything half way through since I was focused on the task at hand. I took 3 attempt like a mash monster cert and here is how it went:

197.84 GE Attempts:

1st attempt: very close but not closed

2nd attempt: Got it! but just barely. I closed it for a brief moment and then the handles came apart. Super tough to set. My hand was all over the place. Set looked nice and wide. Def at least parallel. Took everything I had to close this gripper. Video and pic in the log above. Big PR for me. This is about what the MM6 is estimated at. I didn't know it was closed so I went for attempt 3.

3rd attempt: worst attempt because I gave everything I had on the last one. Decent attempt though.

4/29

Start of a deload week that went long.

Barbell Bench Press

115 lbs = 5 reps

145 lbs = 5 reps

175 lbs = 5 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

105 lbs = 5 reps

130 lbs = 5 reps

157.5 lbs = 5 reps

Dumbbell Curls

31.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 20 reps each arm

Close Grip Pushups

3 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm Band Pulldowns

Sorinex Purple = 3 sets of 15 reps each arm

4/30

Deload week - took it light with left hand grippers also and did wide set work without trying super hard. Left hand needed a break.

Standing Calf Raises

3 sets of 50 reps

Squats

Warm up set of 10 reps

3 Working Sets of 10 reps

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

3 working sets of 10 reps

AB wheel

knees = 3 sets of 10 reps

Ghetto Hypers

45 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Left Hand Grippers

COC Sport = 8 No Set reps

COC #.5 = 5 NS reps

COC #1 = 2 NS reps

COC #1.5 = 2 NS reps

COC #2 = 1 NS rep

COC #2.5 = 1 NS rep

GHP 6 = 1 NS rep

Original COC #3 = 2 NS attempts. Both close but not closed :(. Not yet. Left isn't good at NS. I really want to NS a #3 left hand. It will come....

GHP 7 = 1 NS attempt. Nope. This will come also. Its happening this year.

GHP 7 = 2 GHP 1.5 inch Block Set Closes. missed the 3rd by a little. fatigue setting in.

GHP 7 = 2 GHP 1.5 inch Block Set Closes

GHP 7 = 1 GHP 1.5 inch Block Set Close

GHP 5 = 3 sets of 3 NS reps

5/3/14

Went to Nate's house for a mock comp/training session. Good times. We did 4 main event and a little bending after. Here is how I did:

20MM block set grippers

180 lbs = easy money

185 lbs = no problem

The next jump was 197 since Nate's 190 was on loan. This wasn't happening with a 20 mm block (especially since I just PRed about this last week) so I went MMS on it = Really bad set. The Band aide I was wearing on my set finger got caught between my closing hand and the handle and totally messed me up. Still put a good move on it but not closed.

- I think 190 20mm Block would have went down that day.

Double Overhand Axle

The event I was must worried about because of my ankle.

313 lbs = easy money. Held at the top

323 lbs = easy. Held at the top.

333 lbs = easy and I held it at the top.

- I was shocked how easy every attempt was. I had much more in the tank but its good to stop and not risk anything. I haven't even deadlifted 300 on a regular bar since the surgery. Really happy with this. I would have gotten 340 - 350 If I was more aggressive with my attempts. My new thick bar routine is working nicely.

IM hub

62.5 lbs = really easy

65 lbs = easy

70 lbs = 6 inches off the floor and it slipped.

- I should have went 67.5 lbs for a PR but I got greedy.

2 Minute Medley

Bad strategy by me. With only 2 minutes I should have went for all the easy stuff first but I tried some of the harder stuff like the baby inch first and lost time and I fumbled some stuff like the sledge coin DL rushing (I think I knocked it over like twice rushing). Oh well. I'm not good at speed and endurance events. I'll have to work on that. only 21 points.

Bending

Bent 2 reds in IMPs. I was super tied at this point and my hands aren't in bending shape. First one was pretty quick but the second was a little over a minute. Ripped open my setting finger again :(.

- Overall not bad. Some strategy mistakes. being too aggressive or not aggressive enough with attempts and not being fast enough. I'll work on it.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

5/5

Deload week continued

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

81 lbs = 5 reps

101 lbs = 5 reps

123 lbs = 5 reps

Close Grip Barbell Bench Press

110 lbs = 5 reps

137.5 lbs = 5 reps

165 lbs = 5 reps

Dumbbell Hammer curls

31.5 lbs DBs = 3 sets of 20 reps each arm

1 arm overhead DB extensions

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 15 reps each arm

1 Arm Bent Over DB rows

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 20 reps each arm

Extensors

Heavy Hand X Band + IM White Band = 3 sets of 35 reps each hand

5/6/14

Last Deload Week Session

Calf Raises

3 sets of 50 reps

Deadlifts

3 sets of 5 reps

Front Squats

3 sets of 8 reps

Leg Raises (lying down)

3 sets of 12 reps

Ghetto Hypers

45 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Lever Bar Curls

17.25 lbs = 2 sets of 5 reps each hand, 1 set of 3 reps each hand

16 lbs = 2 sets of 5 reps each hand

5/10/14

Month 3 Week 1

Barbell Bench Press

117.5 lbs = 5 reps

146 lbs = 5 reps

175 lbs = 3 reps

190 lbs = 5 reps

220 lbs = 5 reps

248.5 lbs = 7 reps. Should have went for one more but I didn't have the safety bars up.

Barbell Incline Bench Press

133.5 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

186 lbs = 10 reps

Push ups with feet on chair

15 reps

12 reps

12 reps

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Rolling Thunder

96.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

121.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

141.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

164 lbs = 4 sets of 2 lifts each hand

1 Arm Bent Over DB Rows with Fat Gripz

91.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps each hand.

Note = Log all caught up.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Rolling Thunder 96.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand 121.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand 141.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand 164 lbs = 4 sets of 2 lifts each hand

How heavy was this for you?

The last sets, were close to failure?

Rolling Thunder 96.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand 121.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand 141.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand 164 lbs = 4 sets of 2 lifts each hand

How heavy was this for you?

The last sets, were close to failure?

For the left hand it was no problem. The last rep was a little tough for the right hand. My right hand was having an off day on the Rolling thunder. I hit all the reps but it was easier for my left. I have been hitting some pretty heavy grippers right hand lately so that must be the reason. It is hard to balance thick bar and grippers since they hit the hand in a similar way.

Not logging tonight but I did some 30mm block set work with right hand grippers tonight. Here is my second straight single with my hardest COC #3.5 (179.7 lbs) with a 30mm block. The first one went out of frame. I plan to keep widening the set with this gripper. This is the gripper I need to close consistently CCS before I sign up for the cert. Still at the end of the video.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Not logging tonight. but I'm still working out and keeping track of everything on paper. I'm in Phoenix, AZ for the week on business. I'm working out in the hotel's fitness room. The only free weights they have are dumbbells which max out at 50 lbers so I'm switching to high reps for the week. I'm adjusting the exercises to make them harder with the lighter weight also (slow controlled reps etc.) At least its something to keep sharp. I reached out to Aaron Corcorran and I'm going to meet up with him Thursday night for a training session. I'm going to try his older model #4 which rates at 194 lbs. I'll give it my best shot. I'm not sure if I will be able to get it since I just trained grippers last Friday but I'll film the attempt and upload it in the log. If I get it, it will be my first ever #4 close. Its a lighter and older model #4 but its a start and will help me get over the mental hurdle. One thing I can promise is that I will give it everything I have as always.

• Like 1

Reminds me of my trip to the beach

last year, light weights with a ocean

veiw :) Comon bro, give it all you got!

Its your turn to close this thing! I no you

can!

Thanks Fellas. I made sure to stop by the local wine store tonight :)

Looking forward to meeting you tonight and showing you some of the cool toys.

- Aaron

• Like 1

I'm still on the road, but I wanted to give a quick update. I closed Aaron's COC #4 (194) convincingly twice. I held it close with ease the second time while talking to the camera :). I also may have closed John Eaton's COC #4 (199) but I'll have to review the video since it wasn't as obvious. Aaron thinks I may have gotten it but I need to check on a bigger screen.

• Like 2

People will need to get used to the new townsname where Aaron lives: 'Chezton' 'Where milestones are set'. I can see the holidaycards in the local souvenir shop.

Congrats, it really is a milestone.

Lots of fun was had last night and I saw some #4 closes. We shot some videos with my phone and hopefully some will come out.

• Like 2

YEA!!! congrats Chez i knew you

would kill the 4 soon. Thats amazing

Wo, chez. A #4 closer. Congratulations bro. I know it's a long, long, long way off, but you have a shot at certing the 4 some day. Just think...you have no elbow problems and you made it to mms status without heavy squats or deads. Imagine now that your ankle is healing. Well done man!

• Like 3

Awesome job on closing the #4!

Thanks a lot for the support everyone. Really pumped right now. I just posted the videos on the main forum but here they are again to keep my log complete:

My second close of Aaron's #4 =

John Eaton's #4 =

I plan on signing up for the MM6 in the next 1-2 weeks.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

Wasn't suppose to train grippers tonight but my left hand felt strong and I was doing squats anyway so I went for it and got my first COC #3 OFF HAND Table No set Close. Here is the video:

I'm hoping to get a double COC #3 No Set on video this year.

I'm really far behind in my log but I plan on updating lots of workouts tomorrow.

• Like 5

Well done! TNS #3 on the off hand is a big deal too. I think you'll hit that Double TNS #3 close soon. Looking forward to watching the video!

• Like 1