Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

i don't know what "heavy" is for the foot but, you could do 1 hand axle instead of 2 to keep the weight down. you could also do them suitcase style with the off hand on a bench or counter to help the foot as well.

• Like 1

Chez, that pinch is catching up to your crush. Pinch is a bug that, once it grips you, won't take second to anything. Good to see your 1hp numbers quickly approaching triple digits. It'll get there quick - once you're repping out 90, 100's just around the corner.

Thanks Jon. I'm really happy with Crush, Pinch and Wrist training right now since I'm in a great groove. Thick bar is the only thing lagging now. Part of that is working around my ankle while it heals. I'll put my thinking cap on and figure that out as well. I think the problem is that I have been going too light on thick bar since my body always responses well to heavy low reps. I'm going to start upping the weight and lowering the reps on thick bar day. It will come.

Chez,

Just an idea...have you thought about throwing your fatgrips on the seated shrug machine at your gym? No pressure on the ankles at all and you can go as heavy as your heart desires for traps.

i don't know what "heavy" is for the foot but, you could do 1 hand axle instead of 2 to keep the weight down. you could also do them suitcase style with the off hand on a bench or counter to help the foot as well.

Thanks for ideas guys. For now I'm going to stick with the bent over rows and bicep curls. I plan on just going heavier for lower reps. The foot feels stronger everyday. Once I feel ready I'll start incorporating the standing lifts like 1 hand axle etc. I'm being very cautious with my foot. My traps grow super huge really quick just like my biceps so I barely train them now. If I did they would throw my body proportions off.

Tonight I trained crush and some legs. I filmed all my crush working sets so people can see how I'm training crush these days. This took super long so I only trained my right hand. I'll train left hand tomorrow. I'll update the log tomorrow as well. Here is the video:

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I also uploaded a video on extensor work for Newgrippster:

• Like 1

Great from beginning to end!

I tried my red band whle watching your video. Can't open my fingers as much as you can.

I train with my fingers straight tho and I saw that you had yours bent alittle.

Going to train my extensors more often. Atleast twice a week.

I've always worked extensors with straight fingers - just tried with bent fingers and found it a lot harder, puts a slightly different stress on the wrist I found. Will definitely experiment and try to incorporate both from now on. Great stuff.

You can get a bag of those long balloons that they use for animal shapes at the dollar store. And tie the two ends... They are great for extensor work. You can cut them shorter to make them harder, and use as many as you can fit on your hand. And very durable.

Great from beginning to end!

I tried my red band whle watching your video. Can't open my fingers as much as you can.

I train with my fingers straight tho and I saw that you had yours bent alittle.

Going to train my extensors more often. Atleast twice a week.

I've always worked extensors with straight fingers - just tried with bent fingers and found it a lot harder, puts a slightly different stress on the wrist I found. Will definitely experiment and try to incorporate both from now on. Great stuff.

I honestly didn't start bending my fingers on purpose to hit my hands a certain way. I actually started doing it because when I keep my fingers straight and try to open the band far, it would roll down my fingers. Keeping my fingers slightly bent keeps the band in position. Thanks for checking it out guys.

You can get a bag of those long balloons that they use for animal shapes at the dollar store. And tie the two ends... They are great for extensor work. You can cut them shorter to make them harder, and use as many as you can fit on your hand. And very durable.

That is a pretty cool idea. I have never heard of it that. Nice tip buddy.

• Like 1

Been working longer hours lately so I have behind in the log again. Time to play catch up.

Tuesday 2/18 - Right Hand Crush and squats

Grippers - All reps parallel or slightly wider.

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Working

182.3 RB 330 = 1 rep

185.8 MM3 Replica = 1 rep

189.85 MM5 Replica = 1 rep

189.85 MM5 Replica = 1 rep

185.8 MM3 Replica = 1 rep

176.05 MM3 Replica = 2 reps

176.05 MM3 Replica = 2 reps

174 RB 280 = 4 reps (was only suppose to do 3 buy it felt easy so I got another)

174 RB 280 = 3 reps

Crush Booster Holds Right Hand

2 Sorinex Purple Bands = (3) 10 Second holds

Speed Closes Right Hand

COC .5 = 3 triples as fast and explosive as possible. Felt too easy. moving up to a COC #1 next time.

Extensors Right Hand

IM Red Band - 3 sets of 50 reps

Squats

high rep sets in between the gripper sets. Still holding back with the ankle but feeling stronger all the time.

Note - video taped all the working gripper reps and 1 set of the crush booster and speed closes. Video in my above post. Feeling strong. I always lose a little power when filming my own closes since I have to concentrate on keeping the grippers in frame.

Wednesday 2/19 - Light Ankle Work

Standing Calf Raises

Body weight = 5 sets of 50 reps

Random Mobility Work and Stretching

Friday 2/21 - Left Hand Crush, Chest and Triceps

Grippers - all reps parallel or slightly wider

Left Hand

Warm Ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Original #3 = 1 rep

Working

165.3 BBE = 1 rep

171.5 BBE = 1 rep

171.5 BBE = 1 rep

171.5 BBE = 1 rep

153 COC #3 = 4 sets of triples

Crush Booster Holds Left Hand

Big Rogue Purple Band = (3) 10 second holds

Speed Closes Left Hand

COC .5 = 3 sets of triples as fast as possible. This is probably a good gripper for this left hand. Too easy right hand though.

Hand X Band Extensor Work Left Hand

Heavy Band = 3 sets of 30 reps

- Just got this from rogue and its pretty cool. Its a rubber band with finger holes for extensor work. Wish it was harder though. http://www.roguefitness.com/hand-x-band.php

Flat Barbell Bench Press

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

252.5 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs = 3 sets of 10 erps

Close Grip Push Ups

Body Weight = 3 sets of 12 reps

Edited by Chez

Crush is feeling great. I plan on giving Jedd's older model #4 a shot next weekend. I'll plan out my workouts this week to give myself time to rest and I'll treat it like a Mash Monster cert attempt. Should be fun. I'll give it hell.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

a whole week behind in updating the log (4 workouts). Been super busy at work and working long hours. I get how home late, eat and then train and repeat. Time to play catch up with the log. I'm going break it out to like 2 entries.

2/24/14

Rolling Thunder

Going to start incorporating this back into my routine since I feel comfortable standing with this kind of weight now. I did 3 warm ups sets and then 6 working sets in the 142 - 152 lb range each hand. This was mostly testing out to see what kind weight to use for my sets. Next week I'll start an organized set scheme.

Bent Over Rows with Fat Gripz Extreme

81.5 lb DB = 8 reps each hand. Decided to drop down in weight after this since the rolling thunder fatigue me a little

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps each hand

Standing alternating Dumbbell Curls with Fat Gripz

47.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each arm

Standing alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls with Fat Gripz

47.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each arm

2/26/14
Seated Arnold Dumbbell Presses
11.5 lb DBs = 15 reps
36.5 lb DBs = 10 reps
61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps
Extensors
Heavy Hand X Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand
Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 arm at a time)
36.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side
Calf Raises
Body Weight = 3 sets of 50 reps
Bent Over Rear DB Laterals
19 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

3/1/14

Right Hand Grippers - All closes MMS or wider

Warm ups

Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

working

185.8 lb MM3 = 1 rep

199.5 lb Jedd's COC #4 = 2 attempts. Missed both by less than 1/4 inch. Best attempt stills below. tough gripper all the way through

197.8 GE = 1 attempt. Missed by the same amount. I should have tried this one first. oh well. Next time.

149.2 lb COC #3 = 10 reps. I wanted to drop down and do some high reps. those hard grippers took a lot out of me.

149.2 lb COC #3 = 8 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 8 reps

Crush Booster Right Hand

Rogue Black Band = (3) 10 second holds

Right Hand MMS Speed Closes

COC #1 = 3 triples as fast as possible.

Squats

several low weight high rep squat sets in between the gripper work.

COC #4 Set:

COC #4 (older model) Set

COC #4 Close attempt:

COC #4 MMS attempt close still (Jedd Johnson's older model #4)

Edited by Chez

Today

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 3 reps

Working

265 lbs = 3 sets of 3 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

- too easy.

Close Grip Push Ups

2 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm Overhead DB Extensions

36.5 lb DB = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Left Hand Grippers - All sets MMS or slightly wider

Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

Working

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

174 lb RB 280 = 1 rep

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 3 Straight Singles! Huge PR off hand. Last one on video. See below.

153 lb Cert COC #3 = 4 sets of triples.

Crush Booster Left Hand

Rogue Purple Band = (3) 10 second holds

Left Hand MMS Speed Closes

COC #.5 = 3 sets of triples done as fast as possible.

GHP 8 Off hand MMS close:

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been training but I have been too tired to keep up with the log. Everything is written down though. I'll try and play catch up tomorrow. Been getting out of work late and then pushing myself to train. By the time I'm done I'm just too lazy to type it in here. I have to change that.

Time to finally play catch up with the log. I am 5 workout behind so I'll break it up to a couple posts since I don't want any one entry being a novel

3/5/14

1 Hand Pinch Euro

55 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

66.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

77.2 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

90.8 lbs = 2 partial lifts each hand. Not there yet. Can definitely get it with a more seasoned Euro but not mine.

87.4 lbs = 2 lifts left hand and 1.5 lifts right hand

87.4 lbs = 2 lifts left hand and 1.5 lifts right hand

87.4 lbs = 1.5 lifts each hand

- not bad, using the most weight I have used. I'll keep this weight for next time and try to make sure every set is a clean double.

IM Hub

53.2 lbs = 3 sets of triples each hand

-Most weight I have ever used for triples at this point in a workout. Still kicking butt on this thing. a 70lb lift is within sight.

Blobs

51.4 Blob = 3 straight singles left hand. Nice to use this at this point in the workout. First time.

46 lb Legacy Blob thumb on the round = 3 sets of triples right hand. My right isn't ready for the 50 lb blob at this point in the workout but its getting closer.

Pop's grip machine dynamic pinch (finger and thumb tips on the handles, 2 hands at the same time)

2 Rogue Blue Bands on the bottom notches + 20 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Extensors

Heavy Hand X Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand

Calf Raises

Body Weight = 3 sets of 50 reps

Notes: Tendons are feeling sore and tired. I have decided to take 1.5 weeks off heavy grip training. I need the rest. I'm also going to start using 5/3/1 for the upper body days (Bench and Shoulders). I'll keep adding weight for lower body exercise until my foot feels ready and then also do the program for lower body.

Edited by Chez

3/7/14

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls

Warm up

33 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

Working

53 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each arm

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls

53 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each arm

Power Lifting Band Lat Pull downs (1 arm at a time)

Sorinex Purple Band = 3 sets of 15 reps each side

Ab Wheel Roll Outs

on my knees = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts

2 x 53 lb DBs = 3 sets of 12 reps. Light weight just to get the stretch. Ankle isn't read for the heavy stuff.

3/10/14

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

45 lbs = 15 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 6 reps

185 lbs = 2 sets of 5 reps

- testing where I stand for 5/3/1

Bent Over Rear Dumbbell Laterals (1 arm at a time)

19 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side. More weight next time. it felt too easy.

Homemade Lever Bar to the front up and down

14.25 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps. More weight next week. Wrist feel stronger.

Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side. Easy stuff.

3/13/14

My buddy from law school stopped by after work to lift and bend. Good times. Drinking, lifting, Bending and BSing.

Barbell Bench Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 15 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

155 lbs = 3 reps

185 lbs = 1 rep

Working

205 lbs = 5 reps. Crazy easy.

230 lbs = 3 reps. Effortless

255 lbs = 8 reps. Totally underestimated my max. this calculates to a 322 lb max. I thought I was more around 300 since I haven't been pushing it hard lately. I'll use 315 for my max for the program. I'll use 225 for my seated shoulder press max.

Barbell Incline Bench press

175 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

- I need to test my max next time because these sets felt way too easy. I tried guessing but I think I'm off on this one as well.

Skull Crushers

55 lbs = 3 sets of 20 reps. Easy stuff.

Bending DO and BBW Wraps.

Lost track of the steel but worked up to a 6 inch red nail no problem. Not bad since I haven't bent consistently in a long time. Stopped there though since I didn't want to mess my hands up for grip.

3/15/14

Rolling Thunder New Handle

96.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

121.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

141.5 lbs = 4 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Bent Over Rows with Fat Gripz

72.5 lbs = 2 sets of 15 reps each hand

83.5 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps each hand

Extensors

Heavy Hand X Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand. Need more resistance soon.

Note: Finally caught up with the log. I need to start logging after every workout again to avoid falling behind.

Shit yea Chez 6in Red Nail is a beast!

Your workouts look good man, Nice lifting.

Shit yea Chez 6in Red Nail is a beast!

Your workouts look good man, Nice lifting.

Thanks dude. I'm not going to bend consistently right now but I'll throw in a bending session here and there to keep a certain base line level of strength.

I'm still working out. Going late again as usual since I get out of work late. I won't update the log tonight but I did make a mini review of the Silvis Megalodon gripper I just bought. No where near Mighty Joe depth since I'm tired and did it in the middle of my workout but I give my thoughts about the gripper:

Shit yea Chez 6in Red Nail is a beast!Your workouts look good man, Nice lifting.

Thanks dude. I'm not going to bend consistently right now but I'll throw in a bending session here and there to keep a certain base line level of strength. I'm still working out. Going late again as usual since I get out of work late. I won't update the log tonight but I did make a mini review of the Silvis Megalodon gripper I just bought. No where near Mighty Joe depth since I'm tired and did it in the middle of my workout but I give my thoughts about the gripper:
Nice review Chez, I love my Megladon! I think its really helping me

get closer to the 3.5, the highest i closed it was 3/8ths at 173#. But it would be nice if the spread was

wider. All and all its great.

Chez-

Couldn't you find a wide gripper and take the handles off to use the adj handles on that spring? But it would have to be the right thickness.

• Like 1

Chez-

Couldn't you find a wide gripper and take the handles off to use the adj handles on that spring? But it would have to be the right thickness.

That is a good idea. I have never taken the handles off of a regular gripper before, but it should work. Actually, the spring of this gripper is a tiny bit thicker than a COC #4. A #4 spring should fit. I'm not sure on the GHP 9 spring size but it should be pretty similar to the COC #4. Interesting........I may buy a new COC #4 or GHP 9 and test it out when I have more time.

The size may be an issue... You wouldn't want any wobble. But if those pins are pretty strong, it would be a nice tool for you to finish off the 3.5 cert and of course, the no.4

If it works, could be a blueprint for others to follow.

• Like 1

The size may be an issue... You wouldn't want any wobble. But if those pins are pretty strong, it would be a nice tool for you to finish off the 3.5 cert and of course, the no.4

If it works, could be a blueprint for others to follow.

This is a really smart idea dude. I thought about it more last night and I think I'm going to test it soon. I also thought about using a Tetting pro spring. I'm not sure of the diameter of the Pro Spring but it may be even closer to the Megalodon spring size or pretty much an exact match (its the only gripper I can think of right now just above a COC #4 or GHP 9). I'll send Matt an email and see if he can tell what the pro spring's wire diameter comes to.

Edited by Chez