Fatman

Cannon

That's how people think. If they don't realize the worth in the original condition they try to clean it up somehow.

I agree if the Blob in question is in good shape but I guess it depends on what the original condition might be - a Blob that's a rusty mess might be in some need of something perhaps?

I agree if the Blob in question is in good shape but I guess it depends on what the original condition might be - a Blob that's a rusty mess might be in some need of something perhaps?

Right. If you buy an old rusty steel handled #3 and clean it up and oil it; does that take away value? You've certainly made it easier to close, so is that cheating? Regarding repainting/stripping blobs, it's important to decide if you are evaluating a blob on a collector's basis or a difficulty/feat level. When we start trying to combine the two we wind up in spirited debates.

I can respect wanting an original condition blob.

If the blob has no paint and rust you really don’t know if someone took the paint off. You could re paint it and someone could remove it. It is hard to tell the past. The irony here is York collectors probably would want to strangle someone here for cutting up and old YORK dumbbell.

I just view a blob as a training tool. I have some hexes that I removed all paint so I can work out on them. When I get stronger and they don’t seem a challenge Ill put some paint on them maybe I can move up to the slick oven paint.

rusty mess...yes lifting it would help! lol Again Jedd rings true . How many people have cried their way home after taking an old beat up but "original" antique gun, furniture, toy etc. and try to "clean it up or restore it" finding out "the change" made it worthless. Something old, antique,original, or no longer made has value because it IS unique and represents a person, or "era" of manufacture. Ask any collector or historian of anything.

I was reflecting on what Chris Rice said. I usually have found weights in two conditions: worn slick with a great rust brown patina or with "some" original paint on them . Those along with a pretty much intact piece should be strongly considered to be left alone. But, in the rarer case of a "rusted as heck" dumbbell or plate that is not a "one of a kind" type thing if for display painting it up is by no means a sin "just a decision".You can still use a gentle cleaning media of walnut hull blasting instead of sand. and oil it up or use a thin coat of Rustoleum black gloss as York did years ago.

The set of Jackson dumbbells I have are all well used and with some paint left with an overall wonderful patina. Each time I touch or use them I can feel the "strength" left in that iron by the greats of the Iron Game that used them in Golumbic's gym. The stories each could tell! I think if they were repainted those whispers would be much harder to hear........RS

I get what everyone is saying, but what would a revolutionary war gun be worth if you cut it in half. Zero or close to it. Unless it was done on the battlefield by a cannon or something. We are cutting these in half and destroying them. How is the conversation about paint? Our vision is tainted by our hobby, not that I'm complaining, I love blobs. I just think this is more of a secondary argument related to antique dumbbells and thier treatment once defaced. I personally would like to see more replicas on the market. Cudos to gordenV for the blob 50.

Richard, it would be nice see you put out a signature series blob that is an exact cast of your original blob. Also within a affordable price range like the blob 50 is. Around $120. This would help to preserve the yorks that are out there still in circulation.

Parris, I think the difference is that there is no market for a gun cut in half. There IS a market for a dumbbell cut in half.

Whether a person likes a re-painted blob or a naturally worn one is preference, opinion if you will. I'm not sure it makes much since to argue over whether an opinion is correct or not...

• Like 1

Parris I think we are on the same page. I like your civil war gun cut in half analogy. Reminds me of a civil war piece of armor I saw in a museum. Someone had on a chest and back plate of 1” steel for protection. It was on display with a cannonball hole through both front and back plate. I would pay more for that! It was very impressive.

The crazy thing is the 100 york dumbells may be worth more cut in half. Im not sure because I have never seen a whole one for sale.

My Fatman came newly painted for sure because the nub was painted over too. I removed the paint and happy with the results. It has the original paint in small sections and has some old kind of smooth brown patina or the brown may have been a brown primer (its hard to tell) I have a photo in my gallery.

I do have to agree the market is the market. Hell ive even seen hex half going for more than half a dumbell price. But none the less these items were sold. I would prefer an original finish on a york if I did have a choice. Rich im betting that was some kind of primer. I had striped a old 45 so I could repaint it nice and the back of it had all kinds of pits that were filed with bondo under the original paint. I guess casted material isint always smooth and they need to fill in the pits.

Having seen a few blobs of many conditions recently I have to say my fatman has very little paint on it, seems to be from lots of use, but it is slicker than other fatmans i've seen with more paint still on them. Mine seems to have little texture. There are too many variables to argue too much about originality and such. A blob is a blob and they ALL vary period.

Also my 2nd gen still had a few inches of handle on it when I got it and it also had fresh paint but the knub was clean. My best guess is the DB was repainted before it was made to blobs OR it was just a clean DB. I will say it's the hardest 2nd gen i've ever touched. I don't mind keeping it slick because if I can 2 finger mine I can completely embarrass most others.

Rico , Some solid thought there and great suggestions. Thanks!

I would never have thought to cut a York bell all those years ago and didn't... my first Blobs were literally broken "ready to discard" bells. I do regret to see a good "old" York bell cut, but, kinda proud that they as a grip tool I originated gave them broken even more value than whole. I do wish those claiming the right to have lifted a Blob actually do so "legit". But, for training and showing respect for this(me) and the other old Fatman as a training tool for grip nothing would be much better than an Original(as in the very first) Fatman clone. I never have sold a Blob... kind of too close to my heart but perhaps something could be done not to just make a dollar, but, promote grip and be a "something special" project for me . It might be true that in the future Blobs become responsible for having kept the old York's memory alive.RS

Nice debate, good to see everything civil! Like Josh, I agree that a feat on a blob50 can be equivalent to lifting a york, depending on which york you are talking about. I have heard of blobs caked with layers of rust and chalk that are relatively easy. However, I am not a real blob afficionado and so I can't speak from much experience.

I do however, have a fatman blob that I won't mess with. Also, when I build up the strength to even get to a blob50 I am borrowing, I would not be satisfied. I suppose on some level I wouldn't be satisfied until I managed it the way the guy who made the feat up did it. I have a journey ahead of me there.

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the huge Legacy dumbells York still makes? I wouldn't care to own a 50# legacy blob but maybe a 65 or even a 75 would be sick regardless of the Legacy label. I know Horne is working on lifting a half 60kg legacy blob which he says is retarded hard.

Any thoughts on the huge Legacy dumbells York still makes? I wouldn't care to own a 50# legacy blob but maybe a 65 or even a 75 would be sick regardless of the Legacy label. I know Horne is working on lifting a half 60kg legacy blob which he says is retarded hard.

At least it's something that's already in production. It probably wouldn't be hard to find someone to go in on this with you and it would be cheaper for you both. The Adam Glass's and Jedd Johnson's (etc.) of the world seem to have a hard time passing up a challenge :D

At least it's something that's already in production. It probably wouldn't be hard to find someone to go in on this with you and it would be cheaper for you both. The Adam Glass's and Jedd Johnson's (etc.) of the world seem to have a hard time passing up a challenge :D

You betcha. They are relatively cheap too even after shipping. Not sure how this slipped under the radar for so long.

Already got someone to go halves on for a couple DBs. Stay tuned for major blobbage.

The main problem with a larger blob, is the shipping... Take the 58lb Fatman Clones... They barely fit in a flatrate box. If it was any wider it might not fit. Once you stop using the USPS flatrate box shipping goes WAY up. Also there's a lot of money out for a small return. I own the mold for the fatman clones. I'm sure the pattern maker could widen the mold if I wanted. If there were enough people interested I might get more made. For me to get more made I'd have a min of 10

Yeah it will be hard to get cheap big legacy blobs shipped but the gent i'm going halves with will have his blob shipping split with me so as to split the whole bill. Its still cheaper than buying two 2nd gens and not much more than two Blob50s. Quite a good deal for two 65# blobs if you ask me. If I were to sell these huge legacy blobs they still would be $200 shipped to the buyer if I didn't split their shipping.

Dan don't you have any gym suppliers in your area that carry them? Did you check?

Rico

Dan don't you have any gym suppliers in your area that carry them? Did you check?

Rico

I checked quickly and didn't see a supplier that did. One would think but I guess its all trend rubber hexes and such.

You betcha. They are relatively cheap too even after shipping. Not sure how this slipped under the radar for so long.

Already got someone to go halves on for a couple DBs. Stay tuned for major blobbage.

The new and better deloader is already in the making for BlobZilla.

Rico

I checked quickly and didn't see a supplier that did. One would think but I guess its all trend rubber hexes and such.

I checked around here for a York supplier too and have not found anyone. Of course they can all get them in but ti will still cost the same as having it shipped to my house.

• 2 weeks later...

I have all york blobs and am still looking for...sometimes they are hard to find a I may need to get a Blob 50, I'll be honored to lift either one