Fatman

Cannon

Daniel,

Have you seen these: http://www.heavygriptools.ch.vu/, click on the news tab.

I have heard that they don't ship to the US, but if you are really determined you can probably find a way to get one.

Never seen those before. Thanks for sharing. The unit price is good, not sure what the shipping would be if he started selling to the U.S. I'm curious of the texture, shape etc and how close to a York it feels. As Richard said, that's important. I'd love to have a massive blob but it needs to be a work in progress (ie years of frustration), not an easy 60+ blob. Will have to look into it.

I have never seen or lifted a "blob 50". It is a copy and copies can turn out in a myriad of ways,therefore a "standard" of merit is lost. I as the 'originator" of the Blob lift don't count it( b-50) as an actual Blob lift because simply it is NOT one. Somebody out there made "some money" trying to supposedly "save others" from high (because it IS rare) Blob prices, I do see some folly in that. Lifting a Blob is a quest not a "cheap entitlement". I think unlike the Inch Bell Original the Original Blob is available for ANY grip guy to try AND in addition thousands of "genuine" York 50lb. blobs ARE available world wide if you look and find them. So, it is not a closed door to "doing it right".As an example, I think if a guy built his own "Mash Monster cert copy gripper" and then after closing it claimed his rightful place on the MM list he would catch more than a little "flack" so, why do views change in regards to the Blob? Nothing bitter here just telling it how it is.RS

I re read a post I made on the handle thickness of Old and New generation Blobs. I did a typo error in one part. .To clarify: Old, or Original, Fatman Blobs are aprox 1 1/10" and caliper 1.085" on the handle. Second , New or "Blue"generation are about 1 3/16" and 1.194" by caliper about a hundred and ten thousanths of an inch larger. I Am in accord also that the texture on a given Blob does vary and does have a bearing on the ability to lift it hence I always leave the finish "alone" and original. There is always I guess the possibility of one removing the finish and doing creative modification to a Blob to cheat themselves or gain an unfair advantage. I never have seen personally a new generation OR old with USA on the number side of the bell perhaps one exists but I never have seen it. Thanks, RS

I agree, Richard. I believe dumbbells should be left as they are. No removing of the paint and no repainting. It seems that they shoul dbe kep as is for the purposes of Grip lifting, but maybe that is my own obsessive compulsive nature showing through.

Richard, I pretty much agree with everything you said but would point out one thing. To me, a Blob50 is a test of grip strength in its own right, not replacing a York 50, nor being replaced by a York 50. They may be similar or they may be different in feel, but they both have a place, at least in my grip training. To use you example of the man who makes his own Mash Monster gripper, he certainly would have no right to place himself on any cert. list, but that doesn't necessarly mean that his gripper isn't a beast to close and still worth training for.

I agree, Richard. I believe dumbbells should be left as they are. No removing of the paint and no repainting. It seems that they shoul dbe kep as is for the purposes of Grip lifting, but maybe that is my own obsessive compulsive nature showing through.

The same should apply to plates. No sanding to make them easier to lift. If they are glossy or semi glossy then that just adds to the challange.

Blob50s are the same as second generation Yorks. They were cast from a 2nd gen York. There is nothing magical about a York stamp that somehow makes them more difficult than a Blob50. In fact, many Blob50s are harder than the Yorks because they haven't been around as long and thus are slicker. As for the quest of finding a York; I'm not sure how that has anything to do with strength but there are substantially less Blob50s in circulation. Which brings me to the next topic; texture. The idea that altering the "original" texture somehow takes away from the feat has me chuckling. Gripster A has some rusted up, sandpaper like blob that he's never "altered" and he's golden. Gripster B bought his blobs off some OCD individual who decided to repaint them with a glossy paint. He strips it and puts a flat black on and his lifts don't count?? Riiiiight :rolleyes .

The problem with the MM example is one of the most important aspects of the MM process is that everyone uses the same exact gripper. No one is claiming to have lifted the O-blob by lifting blob50s but they are blob lifters.

The idea that altering the "original" texture somehow takes away from the feat has me chuckling.

I am not sure who you are responding to. If you are going off of what I posted, I think you misunderstood.

If I am going to buy a York Dumbbell, I would want the original paint on it. A gentleman had a few Fatman Blobs for sale on here a few weeks back and I decided not to buy one of them because he repainted them.

Facts are facts. The paint job on any Fatman / Next Gen / Blob 50 has a lot to do with how tough it is going to be to lift. In all reality, the Fatman blobs that were for sale on the board a few weeks ago would probably be tougher to lift than Richard's original blobs because the paint looks very very slick.

I personally wouldn't want a repainted Blob because it is not in its original form. Sort of like on the show Pawn Stars when they bring in a gun used during the Civil War and they've cleaned all the natural patina off of it and it decreases my value.

If someone scrapes paint off a Blob or other Block weight and makes it rough, then this does take away from the feat somewhat. For instance, I bought a half 120 from Kurt Lane several years ago. He had not just removed the hammertone paint off, but rather scraped it off somehow, exposing the lower layers of the block weight. Lifting it by this scraped area is a joke compared to lifting it by the painted region. Since this half 120 is rather narrow, I bet some people who can not lift even the easiest of Blobs could lift this 120 if they gripped the scraped region.

I have another block weight I got from Clay Edgin that I have never lifted that he modified in many ways as a training method, which i think is a great idea, however, lifting it by the side with athletic tape residue is a whole different story from lifting it on the area that is only worn from natural lifting causes.

RE: The Blob 50 - I have lifted a few. They vary quite a bit. I think it was John Mannino's Blob 50 that had like a crease or something in it on one side. If you dug your thumb into this crease, the lift was a joke. If you avoided it by gripping anywhere else, it became much much harder.

The idea that altering the "original" texture somehow takes away from the feat has me chuckling.

I am not sure who you are responding to. If you are going off of what I posted, I think you misunderstood.

If I am going to buy a York Dumbbell, I would want the original paint on it. A gentleman had a few Fatman Blobs for sale on here a few weeks back and I decided not to buy one of them because he repainted them.

Facts are facts. The paint job on any Fatman / Next Gen / Blob 50 has a lot to do with how tough it is going to be to lift. In all reality, the Fatman blobs that were for sale on the board a few weeks ago would probably be tougher to lift than Richard's original blobs because the paint looks very very slick.

I personally wouldn't want a repainted Blob because it is not in its original form. Sort of like on the show Pawn Stars when they bring in a gun used during the Civil War and they've cleaned all the natural patina off of it and it decreases my value.

If someone scrapes paint off a Blob or other Block weight and makes it rough, then this does take away from the feat somewhat. For instance, I bought a half 120 from Kurt Lane several years ago. He had not just removed the hammertone paint off, but rather scraped it off somehow, exposing the lower layers of the block weight. Lifting it by this scraped area is a joke compared to lifting it by the painted region. Since this half 120 is rather narrow, I bet some people who can not lift even the easiest of Blobs could lift this 120 if they gripped the scraped region.

I have another block weight I got from Clay Edgin that I have never lifted that he modified in many ways as a training method, which i think is a great idea, however, lifting it by the side with athletic tape residue is a whole different story from lifting it on the area that is only worn from natural lifting causes.

RE: The Blob 50 - I have lifted a few. They vary quite a bit. I think it was John Mannino's Blob 50 that had like a crease or something in it on one side. If you dug your thumb into this crease, the lift was a joke. If you avoided it by gripping anywhere else, it became much much harder.

I can appreciate you wanting blobs with their original paint from a collectors standpoint although I'd never pass a blob up over paint. What I was referring to as amusing was this idea that the merit of the feat somehow was diminished if you altered the "original" surface; reason being unless it's been stored in a vacuum, it's constantly being altered and many after-market mods on the blobs make them tougher (like the paint example you used).

I also can't say I understand the difference between a blob that's naturally rusty and full of texture and one that you strip and let nature take it's course. In Kurt's example; what if he hadn't stripped it but it was just beat up and naturally fully of texture. Would it be ok then? Also, if you take fault with stripping them to make them easier than what's the problem with putting new paint on to make them harder?

Regarding Blob50s: I've never seen a faulty one. How many have you seen other than John's? When you say vary, are you referring to the texture of the implement itself? I think blobs vary quite a bit in difficulty but it's almost always a texture issue assuming we're grading same gen vs. same gen. Didn't one of the heavy fatman clones have a dent or something that made it easier than the others? I don't think we can judge an entire production by one blob.

Josh, it seems like you are thinking I am saying one thing when I am not. If you lift a blob, you lift a blob, but surely you can't deny that a slicker surface is going to be more impressive that a rougher one???

Let's take Dave Thornton's clone for instance. That thing has a gigantic "feature" on it that makes it much easier to lift it. When I was at Gripmas 2009 I was trying my ass off to lift Thornton's clone after the contest. Struggled to break it a fraction of an inch off the ground. Woodall then reaches down and picks it up with ease, saying something like, "You seriously can't lift this? Its easy." I look over and he's putting his thumb on this crazy feature. I tried lifting it with my thumb on it and lifted it no problem. Neither he nor Thornton could lift it in other positions on the clone.

If I had bought one of the fatman blobs that got re-painted, I am not sure if I could have lifted it right away because of the slickness of paint. The paint makes a huge difference. That's not why I didn't buy it though. I didn't want one that was re-painted for the money he wanted.

Now, what you might be wondering is why did I buy Kurt Lane's altered Block weight. I didn't. I bought a bunch of his weights off him when he was moving and he threw in some blockweights, a scale weight, a shot put and some other stuff.

Again, surfaces can have an effect on how easy something is to lift. here's another example...

I have a 3 different Next Generation Blobs. One of them is very very rough and it' very easy for me to lift. It is a few ounces over 50-lbs. I have another one that is slick like glass and there are some days I can't lift it, especially if I've already done a lot of thumb work. The surface of these Blobs is what makes the difference for me. The easier one is just plain rougher. That is the one that a few people have lifted and gotten credit for the lift here on the Gripboard. That easier one might be a bit easier to lift, but I don't discredit people for lifting it just because it is not the toughest of the three that I own. Rinderle and Eaton are two people I can think of right away that qualified for that list with that blob. It doesn't take away from their lift, because it is still a Blob, but if they would have lifted my slick one, it would have been even more impressive to me.

Now, if I would have put acid on one my blobs, then sanded it with a belt sander for 3 hours and then beat it with a meat tenderizer for a week, and that was the only blob that people could lift, then that would be a different story.

RE: Blob 50's: I can't remember how many Blob 50's I have seen. Mannino's is the only one that had a feature like that. Still, they vary. That's not to say they are like lifting a 40-lb hex block, but it does make them easier to lift.

Josh, it seems like you are thinking I am saying one thing when I am not. If you lift a blob, you lift a blob, but surely you can't deny that a slicker surface is going to be more impressive that a rougher one???

No question, ceteris paribus, slicker is tougher and IMO texture is the most important variable when grading gen vs. gen blobs.

Let's take Dave Thornton's clone for instance. That thing has a gigantic "feature" on it that makes it much easier to lift it. When I was at Gripmas 2009 I was trying my ass off to lift Thornton's clone after the contest. Struggled to break it a fraction of an inch off the ground. Woodall then reaches down and picks it up with ease, saying something like, "You seriously can't lift this? Its easy." I look over and he's putting his thumb on this crazy feature. I tried lifting it with my thumb on it and lifted it no problem. Neither he nor Thornton could lift it in other positions on the clone.

If I had bought one of the fatman blobs that got re-painted, I am not sure if I could have lifted it right away because of the slickness of paint. The paint makes a huge difference. That's not why I didn't buy it though. I didn't want one that was re-painted for the money he wanted.

Now, what you might be wondering is why did I buy Kurt Lane's altered Block weight. I didn't. I bought a bunch of his weights off him when he was moving and he threw in some blockweights, a scale weight, a shot put and some other stuff.

Again, surfaces can have an effect on how easy something is to lift. here's another example...

I have a 3 different Next Generation Blobs. One of them is very very rough and it' very easy for me to lift. It is a few ounces over 50-lbs. I have another one that is slick like glass and there are some days I can't lift it, especially if I've already done a lot of thumb work. The surface of these Blobs is what makes the difference for me. The easier one is just plain rougher. That is the one that a few people have lifted and gotten credit for the lift here on the Gripboard. That easier one might be a bit easier to lift, but I don't discredit people for lifting it just because it is not the toughest of the three that I own. Rinderle and Eaton are two people I can think of right away that qualified for that list with that blob. It doesn't take away from their lift, because it is still a Blob, but if they would have lifted my slick one, it would have been even more impressive to me.

Sure, I agree 100%, this variance is why I take issues with people talking about altering surfaces and to a less extent blob50s not counting. To clarify: I don't care how a surface got there; it's there and plays a huge role in the difficulty. If we bless "easy" blobs that "naturally" got that way then I don't see what the problem is when someone mods it to make it that way.

Now, if I would have put acid on one my blobs, then sanded it with a belt sander for 3 hours and then beat it with a meat tenderizer for a week, and that was the only blob that people could lift, then that would be a different story.

What about a less extreme example? Say you got fatman with horrible paint and you strip it and put a flat paint on there, similiar to what Chris uses on his equipment. Now you can lift it. Should this lift be discounted because you altered it? You and I have both lifted enough fatmans/blobs to know that there are "unaltered" ones that would still be significantly easier than your modified fatman and that's the point I'm getting at.

RE: Blob 50's: I can't remember how many Blob 50's I have seen. Mannino's is the only one that had a feature like that. Still, they vary. That's not to say they are like lifting a 40-lb hex block, but it does make them easier to lift.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by jad

I'm definitely not taking anything away from people's lifts as long as they are not deliberately altering a surface to get an advantage. And Blob50's have counted for the list her eon the board Since Gordon started making them.

A new paint job just turns me off. All my block weights are beat up, that's how I prefer them - that is all.

Yes, some Fatman Blobs are easier to pick up if they are rough than a Next Gen or Blob 50 that is smooth, due to the texture.

I actually think we are in agreement, Josh, as far as texture being a factor of difficulty. We went the long way around to meet on common ground, but I think we are there now.

• Like 1

I have about two dozen York (half of 100lb.) Blobs on display. I have gathered them over many years and one thing IS universal with them. The Fatmen are ALL without paint from wear and of a very similar texture(and shape), The newer generation ones I have ALL have original paint with any where from 90-100% original paint present( and vary a bit more in profile even among their new gen peers). NO second generation Blob I have OR ever tried is as hard as any Original Fatman I have even though the newer blobs ALL have supposedly "slicker" paint. If you only knew the secret as to how to lift the new gen ones you too would agree. The refinishing thing leads to possibly using a different paint and application method than York used(they always used the same brand and method) and who can say what a "creative" gripaholic would do with a beefy side grinder or sander to"carelessly" render "the shape" to an easily liftable "block".Pinching a 50lb block is nothing to even raise an eyebrow in the grip community. I have been around Blobs since the early 80's and have had a chance to study them "more than a bit". It is mostly about the shape and then as a distant second the texture/paint. Pinching anything is" good" grip work and in particular wider objects activate the thumb and result in positive athletic carryover values so enjoy whatever training tool you care to use as long as you are aware there is a difference. RS

Richard, if you,GNC, and Wade would permit it, it would be interesting to have you bring your O-blob or one of your paintless fatmen to the Arnolds and have someone tally which gets lifted more often; Wade's black glass blob or the paintless fatman. I think you'd be surprised.

Interesting idea! First of All that glass slick,and repainted Blob of Wades (I don't know if he brings the same one each time) was lifted by much the same guys as have lifted the Original Fatman. It was "not even close" according to every one them how much easier it was(still hard for ANY grip guy though). In a few years prior I even tried to clean it at the show when it even "wasn't even a thought" with any of the Fatmen here. We had one of our guys for the first time EVER (House Wilson) lift the blob at the GNC booth after months of trying here unsuccessfully. To cover my costs would you like to place a wager on it? I feel THAT confident there is a difference....do you.? RS

I have no interest in covering your costs to the Arnold's if that's what you're suggesting. I would be interested in a wager, assuming we could iron out some details. I would prefer to bet equipment vs. cash or even something fun like me putting "Credit card set is the only reputable way to close a gripper" in my signature for a year. or you putting "I heart blob50s" in yours.

Terms

1.What are we specifically betting on? I'm saying I think you'd be surprised, meaning maybe a 50/50 or 60/40 split one way or another. It sounds like you're saying it won't even be close so what are you confident of (eg that 1 more person will lift Wade's than the fatman or more like 3x as many people will lift Wade's than the fatman)?

2. I can already tell you I won't be there in person, I'm sure you have better things to do then stand by the booth the entire time, so a third party can keep score

3. Contestants may try either one first but they must try both.

4. Wade repaints it with his stove paint just like he always does. I don't know that he brings the same one either but it would be preferable if he brought the one from 2009. That was the one I tried and I own a fatman too and Wade's was much more difficult.

5 The fatman you bring is paintless like you said. The O-Blob would be ideal and would settle it once and for all but I can understand if you want to keep that thing under lock and key at Sorinex

6. Only one suffcessful lift counts per contestant, regardless of reps or trips through the booth (eg if Rich lifts the Wade's blob 10x but whoops can't pull the fatman, it only counts as 1).

The OH guys have a few fatmen as well so if that would ease your "cost" maybe they could throw one in the car on the way up (Doc, Chris, Nick, )?

Two problems...only a very VERY few lift the thing during the weekend and usually most of the few are with our travel crew so, if either of them is lifted at all it will be by a pretty select very small group.Not fair to you or me. Second of all repainting every year... yikes I don't even want to consider the variables there. As I said EVERY one of my second gen blobs came here with almost all paint and it is original. If it is a multi time repainted Blob I can't even say how that might tip the odds(either good or bad).I know Wade tries to make it look nice and fresh but I don't know what type of paint he uses or "how he paints". I have EVERY blob I EVER have received on public display so, if you do want to prove a point we can use ANY genuine original finish Blob I have here with ANY original worn finish Fatman here for the test. See how the paint issue and refinishing can taint the feat? I wish we could test to see how many of lets say 20 successful new gen lifters could do the original Fatman then you would quickly see my point. I would guess from what I have seen for nearly the past 3 decades about a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio of new verses old. RS

Two things about The Second generation USA Blobs, First ANYTHING can and does happen in manufacturing. Molds have two sides perhaps "a few" do get reversed. Many thousands of "flawed" York plates were dumped into a river near the foundry according to one source I have spoken with. While possible I find that odd since they used junked iron in the old days as material to make the plates in the first place . Yes, most old deep dish plates were engine blocks and bumpers at one time. The mix ratio was even "done by eye". A second thing York went overseas "long ago" and if you read between the lines USA depending on how it is printed or punctuated has (yes look it up! ) over 250 meanings besides United States of America(U.S.A.). I don't know by international law what is required to bear a U.S.A.(look at the dots) trademark or how much(percentage) of the total product must be done in that country of origin stamp.

Does anyone know how present York solid dumbbells (Legacy) are marked????

You know that is the first thing that popped into my mind. It has the "weight" of a usual Fatman but the "look" seems more like a second gen.Also, it has paint... either it was kept in a time capsule or has a new paint job . I personally will not buy it for that reason if you are spending or asking that much better be "original", Looks "nice" tho.Good observation guys.RS

• Like 1

You know that is the first thing that popped into my mind. It has the "weight" of a usual Fatman but the "look" seems more like a second gen.Also, it has paint... either it was kept in a time capsule or has a new paint job . I personally will not buy it for that reason if you are spending or asking that much better be "original", Looks "nice" tho.Good observation guys.RS

The bolded area above is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. It just doesn't seem right to re-paint a blob. It just seems like that kind of stuff should just be kept how it is and let the person who buys it do with it as he pleases.