The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

If we're allowing the monster-mini deload band allowance then I'll be there at 82.5kg. One of my AW teammates is coming and he'll be sub-82.5kg for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my climbing trip - I'll try and get the Gripmas entry form and details put up in the next few days.

2011 Gripmas Carol Entry

December 10th, 2011

Entry Fee is $40 – make check out to Chris Rice.

Entry Deadline is November 12 – Entry is $50 after that

Mail – WITH the entry form – to

Chris Rice

230 Burley St.

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

Contest held at same address

Events:

Grippers in chokers at parallel

2 Hand Pinch

Double Sledge Lever from a Dead Start – Max Weight

Medley

Hercules Hold for time

Please return this form and your check To Be In My Hands by Nov 12th – earlier if possible of course. I have to know early so I can make sure we have enough food, trophies, etc.

Name:

Address:

City:

State & Zip Code:

Email:

Body Weight:

Classes: Elite – if you don’t know if you are in this class – believe me – you aren’t

Open – 208.0# and over or by choice regardless of weight

Light weight – 207.9# and under

Ladies – this is obvious I think – or hope anyway J

Anyone can choose to lift open class BEFORE the contest starts.

There will also be the normal – if I squeeze so hard my eyeballs pop out – I won’t sue form to sign when you get here.

Gripbash Scoring System

All weights weighed on certified scales for accuracy

Prizes of some kind for 1st thru 3rd Place in Each Division

Food and Drink furnished afterwards

Adam Glass, Andrew Duriant, and Jedd Johnson will be featured speakers. These guys are some of the very few people I listen to for training advice.

Under 250 for the first time in years buddy. Still shooting for lightweight. :santa:

A few years back we had a big swap meet type thing at Gripmas that went over really well. Lots of stuff was traded and/or sold here that day. I'd like to do this again this year. So dig out your old books - DVDs - CDs - KBs - and assorted junk and bring it to Gripmas - one man's junk is another man's treasure. You might go home with a great deal on something you've always wanted. And if you are a retailer - please bring along the things you sell - maybe you can make a few bucks and move a few things.

And Mike - 250# to 208# in 2 months - Good Luck with that!

Edited by climber511

A few years back we had a big swap meet type thing at Gripmas that went over really well. Lots of stuff was traded and/or sold here that day. I'd like to do this again this year. So dig out your old books - DVDs - CDs - KBs - and assorted junk and bring it to Gripmas - one man's junk is another man's treasure. You might go home with a great deal on something you've always wanted. And if you are a retailer - please bring along the things you sell - maybe you can make a few bucks and move a few things.

And Mike - 250# to 208# in 2 months - Good Luck with that!

Cake. Only have to get to 215. I can cut 6.1 lbs of water in my sleep with no ill effects. It's 10 weeks. 3.5 lbs per week. I'll be to 215 by the end of November. :)

We can still weigh in the night before right? Not for the 182 class records, but for Gripmas purposes. :flowers:

I'm actually doing this for my health. Lightweight at Gripmas will just be an added bonus. My BP was 162/112 and they put me on meds. The pills made me feel like doggy doo, so I decided to stop taking them, lose some weight, and get in shape. May, or may not make Gripmas, but if we can weigh in the night before and I'm under 219, I'll hit it. I haven't had to cut weight in a long time, but anything under 10 lbs isn't to difficult.

For Gripmas - night before weigh in is fine - there are no records for this class. High blood pressure is nothing to mess with - it can make some bad things happen if unchecked. I keep seeing and hearing about "brown outs" (including my own at times) and think its something we all need to be concerned about much more than we seem to be.

For Gripmas - night before weigh in is fine - there are no records for this class. High blood pressure is nothing to mess with - it can make some bad things happen if unchecked. I keep seeing and hearing about "brown outs" (including my own at times) and think its something we all need to be concerned about much more than we seem to be.

I have eaten carpet several times bending. If I don't get at least one minor brown out a session, I'm not trying hard enough. BWAHAHA In all honesty, you are absolutely right Chris. I need to get this under control quick. I keep hearing about people that I know having strokes at my age. All three people had mini strokes, but I don't want one of those either.

Some thoughts on the sledge event from practicing it just a few times now

• First of all the weights as I will use them includes the “total” weight of the 2 hammers, handles, bolts, washers, weight plates etc. So my base weight starting out is more like 23# than the 20# you might think of with 2 – 10# hammers. So in general add 3# to your training weight or a pound+ if you train with a single hammer. This will give you a better idea of how to pick your opener.
  • Second – remember that the handles on my set up are 31” long – many hammers have 32.5” or so handles – if you are training with such a hammer – it will be harder than what you will be using at the contest. I’m sure some math guy can tell you how much difference there is.
  • Remember we will be using a 5 count dead stop in the contest so you should in your training – this makes a big difference in what you can lift. No stretch reflex.
  • You cannot “ride the rails” as you lower or raise them in the contest – you can lower under control anything you can have a chance to raise pretty easily. If you can’t lower it – odds are pretty good you can’t raise it back up. And if you try to “drop” them – you will be disqualified. You will be spotted and the rack will protect your face or head – the spotter will be there to keep you from breaking my handles if you lose control during the lift.
  • There are zero balance issues with the double setup – very stable - no side to side or twisting goes on like with a single hammer. You can really apply all your force.
  • Arms are supported – remember this in your training – it’s a lot different than free standing – and you don’t go all the way to your head – close but not quite.
  • Some shoulder lift will be allowed – but not excessive – Doc will be the judge.

I think you all will really enjoy this event. If my results are any indication – you cannot just double the weight of what you can do with a single hammer – it just doesn’t work out that way, at least for me. You be allowed to play with the lift ahead of time to get the feel of it.

Edited by climber511

Remember we will be using a 5 count dead stop in the contest so you should in your training – this makes a big difference in what you can lift. No stretch reflex.

a 5 count?????? I thought we were just waiting for a press command at the bottom. why a 5 count?

Brent - that's what i showed in my video. My goal is to completely eliminate any bounce from the apparatus.and take away the stretch reflex. And this way no one can say somebody got a better call than someone else. It's just a "count" not a 5 second timed thing - I've been doing it this way when I do it - it's not a big deal at all. Give it a try in training - let me know what you think.

Edited by climber511

this would be the second or third time watching video without sound has caused problems.

this would be the second or third time watching video without sound has caused problems.

:grin: Just lower it down to the stop - count 1-2-3-4- Press! - I don't think it will cause any issues.

:grin: Just lower it down to the stop - count 1-2-3-4- Press! - I don't think it will cause any issues.

so, I could rest it on the cross bar? or is there a rubber band you have to touch? I can't remember now.

so, I could rest it on the cross bar? or is there a rubber band you have to touch? I can't remember now.

You will lower the hammers to the crossbar (stop) under control - you will then rest it there while you count. You can either keep tension or relax completely while there - then raise the hammers to the other stop at vertical (or not). There is no rubber band used this year at all. The crossbars have foam rubber on them to protect the handles is all but will be treated as a solid. Watch the video again please.

Looks like somebody has been reading my blog :grin: It will be interesting to see how the minimal shoulder raise thing is judged. I don't envy Doc. The mentality the first year was "punch it" when it touched the bottom so I'll be curious to see if competitors adjust or try and push the limits with Doc.

Looks like somebody has been reading my blog :grin: It will be interesting to see how the minimal shoulder raise thing is judged. I don't envy Doc. The mentality the first year was "punch it" when it touched the bottom so I'll be curious to see if competitors adjust or try and push the limits with Doc.

Josh - I think trying to judge this too closely will result in problems so I'm going to allow a fairly liberal amount of shoulder movement. It will allow bigger weights but that isn't the point - your shoulders will only go so high - at that point its fair for everyone - but we won't get stupid about it either.

And Josh - Yes I do read your Blog every day. As to the riding the rails - you really can't with doubles tied together - the double setup doesn't really allow you to tilt them to either side without picking one arm up off the platform - it's self limiting that way and takes a conscious effort to do it wrong that would you hurt more than help. Believe me - lowering them isn't going to be the problem :) In case anyone cares, I did 38# so far in my 3rd training session.

And Josh - Yes I do read your Blog every day. As to the riding the rails - you really can't with doubles tied together - the double setup doesn't really allow you to tilt them to either side without picking one arm up off the platform - it's self limiting that way and takes a conscious effort to do it wrong that would you hurt more than help. Believe me - lowering them isn't going to be the problem :) In case anyone cares, I did 38# so far in my 3rd training session.

WOW! 38# is strong especially for only 3 sessions! Like you said lowering anything you hope to lever from a dead stop isn't going to be an issue, I was just trying to conserve energy but I see your point about the doubles. I was thinking the theme of the sledge this year was STRICT. So regarding shoulder movement, it doesn't matter to me, I just don't want to do my attempts under the premise that it's supposed to be ultra strict and then the guy after me lurches his body forward in some sort of whole body sledge movement. All feat cheating jokes aside, I always try to maximize any advantages allowed but I don't ever intentionally cheat akin to getting as close to the starting line as possible on a timed 40 yd dash vs. starting 3-4 inches behind it.

• First of all the weights as I will use them includes the “total” weight of the 2 hammers, handles, bolts, washers, weight plates etc. So my base weight starting out is more like 23# than the 20# you might think of with 2 – 10# hammers. So in general add 3# to your training weight or a pound+ if you train with a single hammer. This will give you a better idea of how to pick your opener.
  • Second – remember that the handles on my set up are 31” long – many hammers have 32.5” or so handles – if you are training with such a hammer – it will be harder than what you will be using at the contest. I’m sure some math guy can tell you how much difference there is.
  • Remember we will be using a 5 count dead stop in the contest so you should in your training – this makes a big difference in what you can lift. No stretch reflex.
  • You cannot “ride the rails” as you lower or raise them in the contest – you can lower under control anything you can have a chance to raise pretty easily. If you can’t lower it – odds are pretty good you can’t raise it back up. And if you try to “drop” them – you will be disqualified. You will be spotted and the rack will protect your face or head – the spotter will be there to keep you from breaking my handles if you lose control during the lift.
  • There are zero balance issues with the double setup – very stable - no side to side or twisting goes on like with a single hammer. You can really apply all your force.
  • Arms are supported – remember this in your training – it’s a lot different than free standing – and you don’t go all the way to your head – close but not quite.
  • Some shoulder lift will be allowed – but not excessive – Doc will be the judge.

I think you all will really enjoy this event. If my results are any indication – you cannot just double the weight of what you can do with a single hammer – it just doesn’t work out that way, at least for me. You be allowed to play with the lift ahead of time to get the feel of it.

Chris where are you at with a single using the same set-up, same 5 count, etc..? I wasn't sure if you meant you could do more than double or less?

Mike, that is very impressive about your weight loss goal! Would you mind sharing with me how you plan to lose that much weight that quickly? I need all the help I can get losing the last 12-14lbs before November 12th.

Chris where are you at with a single using the same set-up, same 5 count, etc..? I wasn't sure if you meant you could do more than double or less?

Josh - at your suggestion I tried my 16# single the same way. It wasn't too bad right but left was darn hard - if I average my feeling of resistance between the two - I would guess they felt about like the 38# double did maybe.

Josh - at your suggestion I tried my 16# single the same way. It wasn't too bad right but left was darn hard - if I average my feeling of resistance between the two - I would guess they felt about like the 38# double did maybe.

So it sounds like a minimum would be to double your single assuming your hands are relatively equal (eg 16# with either hand means 32# would be a very safe opener)