The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

My oldest is getting out of daycare this year. I am hoping to save myself a huge headache and fly to some of these meets, if my wife approves the expenditure.

If I come, I don't plan on losing a sledge event. I will sponsor a prize for the winner of the event regardless of whether or not I show. I would love for the winner to take home the implement (name a fair price if we get around to it Chris), but if that doesn't work I will think of something.

Bob - I have been looking for a pair of wooden handles sledges for Adam but so far all I can find are the darn fiberglass ones - TS is supposed to be getting me in a pair for him - I don't want to get rid of the pair I have but would be glad to make up another pair if I can find the hammers to start with. I'll let you know here soon.

Bob - I have been looking for a pair of wooden handles sledges for Adam but so far all I can find are the darn fiberglass ones - TS is supposed to be getting me in a pair for him - I don't want to get rid of the pair I have but would be glad to make up another pair if I can find the hammers to start with. I'll let you know here soon.

Chris - I just bought a pair of 12# hammers with hickory handles through MSC.

Here's the link:http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=85244374&PMPXNO=2208989&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

I get a discount through my employer, so I ended up paying $64 for the pair shipped to my door. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal.

Here's the link:http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=85244374&PMPXNO=2208989&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

I get a discount through my employer, so I ended up paying $64 for the pair shipped to my door. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal.

Nice discount - that link leads me to 12# hammers for $52.80 EACH

I found tool liquidation stores to be a great place for hammers. They're cheap ($15 or so) and they usually have a variety. I've gotten my 12's, 14's and 16's there. Never buy from an actual tool house or construction type store.

I found tool liquidation stores to be a great place for hammers. They're cheap ($15 or so) and they usually have a variety. I've gotten my 12's, 14's and 16's there. Never buy from an actual tool house or construction type store.

I've never seen a 14# hammer. that would be a really nice size to have. I'll have to start looking out for them.

Nice discount - that link leads me to 12# hammers for $52.80 EACH

Yeah. That's the normal price. If you can't find anything locally, shoot me a PM. I'll see if I can get you a pair at the discounted price.

You won't want their 14 pounder Brent- $160 or so, non-sparking type

of course I want a brass head. that makes them even cooler.

Something I have decided to do at Gripmas is to keep track of all the over 50 Masters lifts - there will be no special class or trophies etc - just a list of what was done and the persons name, age, and body weight is all.

Something I have decided to do at Gripmas is to keep track of all the over 50 Masters lifts - there will be no special class or trophies etc - just a list of what was done and the persons name, age, and body weight is all.

I'm going to be keeping a list of the 44-45 age group myself. :D:help

The diet is not going as planned. Actually gained a couple pounds this week. Need to get serious about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Jedd - have you managed to lever those double 16s yet?

I haven't tried. Was going to try it out yesterday with Eric here, BUT we ran out of time, so i am going to try it next time I have him here. Thanks for the reminder to paypal you too, by the way.

Jedd

Chris have you sorted out how the hercules hold will go? I am trying to figure out the best way to train for this one

Chris have you sorted out how the hercules hold will go? I am trying to figure out the best way to train for this one

200# farmers walk - 1/4 mile :whistel :whistel

is 365 ish a good start with my Inch Trainers? I made it about 9 ft LOL

Our wrestling coaches used to talk about some grip challenge (YEARS before I ever even heard of Grip) where you walked one lap on a track a la 1/4 mile with a 100# db in each hand. They said they read about it but I don't remember the name of the book.

Our wrestling coaches used to talk about some grip challenge (YEARS before I ever even heard of Grip) where you walked one lap on a track a la 1/4 mile with a 100# db in each hand. They said they read about it but I don't remember the name of the book.

Thats a pretty good challenge, especially considering it would be something issued to HS kids.

I haven't started on the Hercules Hold yet but I have it drawn up. Just as a guess and nothing more so far - it will be around 300# per hand and 1 1/4" fixed handles. I'm thinking this is what Beatty had a few years ago and the best time was just a little over a minute. I have not decided if I want different weights for each class yet - heck I'm still waiting to decide on what classes I am having after I see what kind of interest I see here in the states (and of those who is coming to Gripmas) from the 82.5K class.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about how to work the classes at Gripmas. So my question is this - who all is planning on coming that weighs under the 82.5K limit? And how many Ladies plan to compete? Please post your name here if you are.

I'm thinking about how to work the classes at Gripmas. So my question is this - who all is planning on coming that weighs under the 82.5K limit? And how many Ladies plan to compete? Please post your name here if you are.

I plan to be there and will be under the 82.5K limit.

Chris,

A female friend of mine is planning to compete, and it sounds like she might be bringing a second female competitor with her. Could shape up to be a real nice sized ladies division.

No chance in hell I can make 82.5 unless I go drink straight from the Susquehanna River right now and get giardiasis.

Jedd, we will need a bottle of Wild Turkey, one of Chris's chain saws, and two leather belts. We can get you 82.5 kg, but you will likely never be able to do a marathon run afterwards.