The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

For those of you who might be a little mechanically challenged (like I am on the computer side) I will write something up for you. As Jedd said you first need two matching hammers - I used tens so novices etc can start with them but any size would work just fine. Adding weight - can be done with Platemates if you have them and don't have access to someone who can weld for you. What I did was weld 1/2" nuts on the ends and on the sides. I then use different lengths of 1/2" bolts with washers to add standard 1" hole weight plates to the sledges as needed. You could of course weld the bolts to the hammer head but I choose not to do it that way so I don't have bolts sticking out so far to get in the way. I drilled my holes (5/16") at 3" and 21" on center from the head of the sledge but this distance is not really critical. You will want nuts on the sides as well as the front - too much weight on the front only changes the balance too much. As for fastening them together - I use 5/16" carriage bolts that are 8" long. Washers on both sides of each handle with nuts on each side except for the bolt head. So what you have is bolt head - washer - handle - washer - nut - space between handles - nut - washer - handle - washer - nut. Tighten everything down but remember this is wood - not a head bolt on your car - don't over tighten. Some carriage bolts are not threaded clear to the end - if yours are like this, simply add some spacers to fill the gap. Any questions - just ask.

Edited by climber511

These directions are perfect. You are the man.

Also, the very easy way is to drill the hammers together via a stack of 3 2x4's. This is quick and easy.

Bob Are you saying to use the 2x4's as the connection device instead of the bolts?

Are you coming to Gripmas?

Jedd

I hope Bob and Mike Kraling can both make it this year - they were the one hand sledge lever champions two years ago - I'd like to see them battle for the two hand championship this year.

I hope Bob and Mike Kraling can both make it this year - they were the one hand sledge lever champions two years ago - I'd like to see them battle for the two hand championship this year.

They might have a bit more competition this year. Just sayin'. :shifty

Yes, Chris is looking pretty strong on the sledges

I say Grudge Match at Gripmas on the Sledges! Whoever's interested throw $10 into a hat and winner takes all. What do you think about this, Chris - it is your contest.

Jedd

I say Grudge Match at Gripmas on the Sledges! Whoever's interested throw $10 into a hat and winner takes all. What do you think about this, Chris - it is your contest.

Jedd

I'm in!! Great idea! I guess I'm gonna have to actually train for this one now :whistel

For Chris and others

What is the safest way to get a choker on a tough gripper? I lost more skin than I wanted to this morning trying to get a choker on an MM5 replica. Its really cute when you think you got it in position and as you release pressure you pinch your thumb webbing between the handles and collar.

• Like 1

A vice makes it super easy. If you don't have one, which I don't, put it on as tight as you can and then just squeeze while you take up the slack with a screwdriver and repeat until desired width. I was able to choke my 212# gripper down to <1/2" in this manner. It's a freakin workout though.

I use a vise. I put a couple pieces of leather on the handles to protect them - turn the handle down and put on the chokers from the top. You can use tape to protect the knurl if you want but I don't bother personally. Doing it by hand is nearly impossible on the harder grippers.

You might try a couple pieces of pipe too - I haven't tried it but should work - maybe.

Edited by climber511

athletic tape around the top of the gripper protects the knurling and keeps the hose clamp from slipping down.

I just press on a table and use a screw driver.

A vice makes it super easy. If you don't have one, which I don't, put it on as tight as you can and then just squeeze while you take up the slack with a screwdriver and repeat until desired width. I was able to choke my 212# gripper down to <1/2" in this manner. It's a freakin workout though.

This is how I do it and I've put my 217lb Atomgripz Penta Band gripper down to 1/4" a few times. I used TWO heavy duty hoseclamps though and that really cramps your style - and hand space.

Chris, what is the rule on setting the choked gripper this year? I remember there was a time before where the off hand wasn't supposed to touch the far leg of the gripper but then that rule got changed. i just want to know how to train for this. Thanks.

Jedd

I'm totally in!

Anybody want to buy me a plane ticket to Columbus? :flowers: I can guarantee someone will be taking my $10.

Anybody want to buy me a plane ticket to Columbus? :flowers: I can guarantee someone will be taking my $10.

I wouldn't bet on that after watching you at Nationals.

No? I thought this ticket of ~$360 was a far better deal than what I paid for Nationals, ~$620. :ohmy

No? I thought this ticket of ~$360 was a far better deal than what I paid for Nationals, ~$620. :ohmy

So if we have 20 guys and you win the sledge event - you get half your travel money back - see ya here! :tongue

where will this be held tenatively?

My oldest is getting out of daycare this year. I am hoping to save myself a huge headache and fly to some of these meets, if my wife approves the expenditure.

If I come, I don't plan on losing a sledge event. I will sponsor a prize for the winner of the event regardless of whether or not I show. I would love for the winner to take home the implement (name a fair price if we get around to it Chris), but if that doesn't work I will think of something.

I'm on the fence on if I want to seriously train a movment that dumps my wrist and is the exact opposite of what I want to do for pulling but this is getting pretty freakin' exciting :mosher

I'm on the fence on if I want to seriously train a movment that dumps my wrist and is the exact opposite of what I want to do for pulling but this is getting pretty freakin' exciting :mosher

I know less than nothing about AW but strong wrists are strong wrists - I can't see how it would hurt to make them stronger - even in a direction not directly used???