- (hard) SE x 1 PB,1,1mm,2mm,3mm

- (hard) COC#3.5 x 2 PB,2,2

- RB330 x 2,1

left

mms

- (hard) SE x 1 PB,1mm,1mm,2mm,2mm

- (hard) COC#3.5 paused x 1,1,1

- RB330 x 1

- one hand plate pinch to six 5kg attempts (couple inches of air with either hand) then five 5kg x 15 reps in 2 minutes

- double overhand axle deadlift 160.5kg x 8 in two minutes

- HG400 x 12-15 each hand (wider reps with right)

- 30kg blob two hands deadlifts to failure (started hard way then easy way)

Both hands/forearms, tendons as well as muscles not fully healed for this so was really happy with today. I got my new camera early (just need get a plug adapter) so i thought id hit it up hard now then rest up till next Monday an try get some decent footage. Might keep this SE in the mix, it's the closest gripper i have to medium #4. Also the ccs width closes with a pause but no card insert might be a better way to do most of the ccs work, i think as long as it's open enough and you pause before closing it's ok. Faffing around with the card on every close can take away some focus.

I have a new/rated (205lb) #4 on the way and also a trap bar/have got some fat grip extremes an will order another 200kg of weights in a couple days. Should sort me out well for training.

• Like 1

It's really exciting to follow your road towards the cert attempt.

I'm rooting for ya!

May 25th 2013

(no belt)

squats with axle 30.5kg x 15, 50.5kg x 4, 90.5kg x4, 120.5kg x 4, 150.5kg x 4

grippers:

right

ccs (some paused ccs width)

- (hard) SE x 1 PB,1,1mm,2mm,3mm

- (hard) COC#3.5 x 2 PB,2,2

- RB330 x 2,1

left

mms

- (hard) SE x 1 PB,1mm,1mm,2mm,2mm

- (hard) COC#3.5 paused x 1,1,1

- RB330 x 1

- one hand plate pinch to six 5kg attempts (couple inches of air with either hand) then five 5kg x 15 reps in 2 minutes

- double overhand axle deadlift 160.5kg x 8 in two minutes

- HG400 x 12-15 each hand (wider reps with right)

- 30kg blob two hands deadlifts to failure (started hard way then easy way)

Both hands/forearms, tendons as well as muscles not fully healed for this so was really happy with today. I got my new camera early (just need get a plug adapter) so i thought id hit it up hard now then rest up till next Monday an try get some decent footage. Might keep this SE in the mix, it's the closest gripper i have to medium #4. Also the ccs width closes with a pause but no card insert might be a better way to do most of the ccs work, i think as long as it's open enough and you pause before closing it's ok. Faffing around with the card on every close can take away some focus.

I have a new/rated (205lb) #4 on the way and also a trap bar/have got some fat grip extremes an will order another 200kg of weights in a couple days. Should sort me out well for training.

Nice workout getting your hard SE...I know your hands are itching for your new 205 #4

Cheers guys

Yeah interested in getting my hands on the new #4 but should prob give the GHP#9 a go before that as got it first. I'll go with the SE for first work close next session an take it from there.

May 26th 2013

bench press on smith machine using ss to +60kg x side x 10,10,10

incline dumbbell press 36kg x 12

incline around the worlds 10kg dumbbells with drop

side lateral machine stack +weight x 12 superset v-grip pushdowns 100lbs x 12

Ok so took day off today and trained. I got the new #4 in the mail an decided to just have a crack at all the grippers, see whats what an hopefully close some of them. For right hand i used wide pause set again, making sure they are wider than ccs so i don't start setting them too narrow, then a medium(ish) pause set with the left. Warmed up to RB330, felt hard with right hand, solid with left. I then tried the GHP level 9 gripper i got a little while back - 1/4 off with either hand. Then i tried the new 205lb #4, went to 1/16th either hand. Then tried my medium #4, also went to 1/16th either hand. Next tried my hard SE, a hair off either hand. Drop'd to hard #3.5 to closed with either hand.

From what i felt, the GHP 9 i have is a hard one, i think it would be somewhere in the 230's rgc and i'm guessing would be touch an go to close even mms, probably couldn't get it as i don't think i could set it down fully. It actually wasn't overly hard in the sweep, but the close strength on it was pretty sick, it got really tough in the the last 1/2 inch. The new #4 was very similar to my medium #4, obviously sharper knurling with it being newer but very similar in strength. I would GUESS that my medium #4 would cal slightly more, around 207lb maybe as it binds at the close, however the newer #4 was very slightly harder due to a tougher sweep. The strength felt pretty constant through the whole rom. My SE is right up there too, would cal probably 203lb or somewhere around that (easiest sweep of the 3 though). The 3.5 would fall somewhere in the 190's.

From this workout at far as hand ratings if i had to give an exact difficulty i would say..

ghp9 - unknown

New #4 - 3.96

medium #4 - 3.93

hard SE - 3.88

hard #3.5 - 3.77

RB330 - 3.73

My camera died (thought i could charge it via usb but obviously doesn't hold charge very long) on warm ups but didn't end up with anything to film anyway. I did bunch of pinch and thick handle stuff after then went the gym for some pressing an upper back. Best dumbbell lift with fat gripz was 82.5kg of plates.

I've just read through all the pages of your log and I have to say "thanks" for making this journey of yours public. As someone who is brand new to the world of grip training I can say without hesitation that it's inspired me to challenge myself further.

Can't wait to see another name go up on the Ironmind website.

Paul,

How are we looking on a CCS of a #4? I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm anxious to see someone CCS a #4.

Silverback played us, Gabriel Sum injured himself right before CCS'ing an easier #4, Jonathan Vogt made us wince with his 1/4" close, Ioan Puscasu is battling the last 1/4" or so of a close.

• Like 1

Exactoknife - Glad i could inspire you

Gm1swm - I would say vogt was closer than ioan's attempts. Are you sure gabriel ccs'd a 4? I only remember him getting an easier one with a very deep set. As for me, from wider than ccs i got new 4 to 1/16th of an inch last sunday so it's getting close. I now have 2 months of hard training to go, with 2 weeks off work to be 100% before the cert attempt - i think my chances are pretty good unless i get a hard one.

Will do a video update and film next workout as soon as i can find the right adapter to charge my camera.

Well you appear to be on the cusp of gripper greatness...Keep up the solid training and I am sure we will see you on the #4 CoC list very soon!

Exactoknife - Glad i could inspire you

Gm1swm - I would say vogt was closer than ioan's attempts. Are you sure gabriel ccs'd a 4? I only remember him getting an easier one with a very deep set. As for me, from wider than ccs i got new 4 to 1/16th of an inch last sunday so it's getting close. I now have 2 months of hard training to go, with 2 weeks off work to be 100% before the cert attempt - i think my chances are pretty good unless i get a hard one.

Will do a video update and film next workout as soon as i can find the right adapter to charge my camera.

Nice to see you got so close on that one!

I rated two #4s randomly that same day and they were 205 and 206. You got the 205. Hopefully that's an indication that this is generally where they are at. I wish I had a little more data, but we don't get rating requests for them very often.

Gatorgrip - It's going to happen, i can't say for sure if it will happen in august or not, but it is going to happen.

Cannon - I see yeah, i didnt think of that, of course nobody really uses #4's. Thinking back out of the 4's i've tried i would say 5 have been easier an 7 harder but i do think i've come across more freaks than most would. One was almost as hard as my bbwc. It's definately harder than the 4.01 #4 that was used for the euro grippers but i dont feel that 4.01 was right, id say less as the sweep on it wasnt very hard. That's where i would say the 205 #4 is harder than most, even just holding it ccs width is a good bit of pressure, it felt like it would be a lot tougher to shut but the the close doesnt match the sweep.

Paul...Gabriel stated that he was on the verge of CCSing his easier #4 that rated at like 192 or 194 when he injured his hand.

That was like two years ago. I think we would have seen him cert on a #4 had he not gotten injured. He is an extremely strong and talented gripster!

Got one of those, too, Sam. It is harder than my newer one. I painted the handles black... Except the band -- cuz it's badass.

Not letting me paste the links again but you guys might want to check out my channel.

That was absolutely phenomenal, Paul!!

Damn I couldn't tell if it totally closed but it was damn close if not-Super Gripping Big Guy! You are really getting close to a total domination for sure. A CCS separates the strong from the super strong and your crush is surely the latter!

Damn I couldn't tell if it totally closed but it was damn close if not-Super Gripping Big Guy! You are really getting close to a total domination for sure. A CCS separates the strong from the super strong and your crush is surely the latter!

Turn the sound up as i go to close it

Cheers guys

I've been informed that i can't attempt certification on the 4 until i have credit card set closed it on a consistent basis, so this is now the goal. Last night i did 26 set attempts on my double stamp 4 (medium), making 21 of them. I did the same number of attempts with hard 3.5 for off hand and made 23 of them. After this i did pinching of five 5kg plates, firstly passing them around the back (managed 7 times) and then working up to a clean. After this i worked up to getting a 230kg axle to below the knee (got the 50kg plates i ordered).

More videos next monday.