Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

March 22nd 2013

seated calf raise 3 sets last with two rest pauses

smith machine close grip bench press using slingshot to +100kg x 5 paused with two drops

v-grip overhead cable extension 3 drop set

tricep pushdown 3 drop set

decline crunches to failure then two rest pauses to failure

March 22nd 2013

Swimming 5 x 50 metre as fast as possible

March 27th 2013

Was planning to not train grip until next monday but have decided to take mondays off now / do grip on wednesday so i did some contrast baths and got to where i could train today (thought waiting till next wednesday would be too long)

grippers

right..

mms - to (m) COC #4 for 5 singles

ccs - COC #3 x 10 then drop to COC #2 tns x ?

left

mms - to RB330 for 5 singles

ccs - COC #2.5 x ? then drop to COC#2 tns x ?

3 drop sets of extensor each hand

Rather than bore you with a frustrating story will just say no vids this time.

March 28th 2013

(no belt)

back squat to 170kg x 3

paused close grip smith bench using slingshot to +140kg x 2

deadlift to 230kg

rack pulls below knee 200kg x 3 with drop

monster set barbell rows, ss bench, pull ups, seated smith press, dumbbell laterals, leg extensions

Didnt have much time today and only time to train this week.

April 2nd 2013

grippers

right

- mms to 3 singles / 3 missed singles on (m) COC #4

- HG400 for 2 rep drop sets (wider set, par set, clicker set)

left

- mms to 5 doubles on RB330 then some clickers

- HG400 for 2 rep drop sets

Hard work, struggled today but wanted to keep to doing grippers without squats for now. Hands and forearms beat up.

The #4 i just can't get my set in shot in any way where i can show the camera the close, need someone to film to show the depth. Did get a HG400 drop set filmed though. Is uploading.

Again it won't let me copy and paste the link but is on channel.

April 3rd 2013

(no belt)

Smith squat paused oly style to +150kg

Deadlift to 240kg

Rack pull below knee 200kg x 3 with drop

Leg press drop set

Ab machine drop set

April 4th 2013

incline smith bench press +80kg x ? with drop

smith bench press +80kg x ? with drop

seated smith press +40kg x ? with two rest pauses

cable fly drop set superset push ups to failure

side lateral machine stack x ? with two drops

tricep machine palms facing three drop set

calf press high rep drop set

Quick update as far as training plan goes. Right now although my tendon strength is good my forearm muscles are not as big as what they used to be, even though i'm bigger overall, so plan is to change that. Gonna be working the thick handle grippers for a few weeks, then when i feel upto it will have a max out day and do a mock cert attempt, either on #4 or HG500, maybe both.

April 8th 2013

Grippers HG400 for 4 drop sets (15 reps with ccs to start) right hand

3 sets pinch hold four 5kg plates

Axle bent over rows 3 sets

Axle romanian deadlift/shrug combo 2 sets

One of my fingers in my left hand keeps hurting when doing grippers with wide set so left it at warm ups today.

April 10th 2013

Decided to give arm wrestling a go and see how i feel after competing, have been considering it for a while. Have a pub ready to put a local tournament on so can start there. Firstly i need to get a table from somewhere and with moving to a new house this coming monday, money is tight so could take a few months. In the mean time i started training for arm wrestling today. Don't know exactly what i'm doing but have some idea's, just gonna roll with it and try stuff, see how i feel. Gonna head down a club after several weeks training and go from there. Think it's smarter to spend a month or two conditioning my body before getting on the tables as i can't afford injury to my arms/wrists as i wouldn't be able to work.

Aim today was to kill my triceps and do a little for shoulders and chest, with everything heavy.

Smith machine bench press using slingshot with medium grip (inside knurling)

- to +150kg x 1 paused

- +120kg for 2 sets x 6-8

- +80kg x 15+

v-grip pushdown lockouts only 4 sets to 160lbs x 6-8

preacher tricep extensions palms facing to 200lb stack 2 sets x 6-8

dumbbell flys 4 sets to 32kg x 6-8

lateral raise machine 200lb stack +5kg and added pressure from my brother x 6 then 3 drops

Some proper arm wrestling training later in the week, forearms f'd right now.

april 12th 2013

Not got a lot of time this week with packing for the move on monday so did what i could on break in work. Lot of wrist, bicep and lat work. What i realised today is that i'm strong in the hook position, at least wrist wise. This is the same position i use to lift carpets in from what i can tell.

Good luck with armwrestling!

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Thanks

April 13th 2013

Was planning on doing some squats and deadlifts today but got a little niggle in lower back half way through the day so more or less just played around with some things to get a basic idea of what i can use to arm wrestle trains at the gym and got a rough idea of my bicep/curl strength. Am weaker because of training yesterday but feel like i can do 80kg strict wall curl and 30kg dumbbell hammer curl (strict as possible) for 4-6 reps. Some decent stuff at the gym. Also i did HG400 for 16 wide reps right, 8 left, then deep set 36 right, 18 left no chalk earlier (new guy in work asked me to bring them in), good considering what i did yesterday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update while i have a minute. Been really busy, generally and with the move. Have been training as best i can, mainly at work, some in garage (not properly kitted out yet), and went gym yesterday. Training for arm wrestling going well and also grippers too, have done 20 wide reps no chalk on hg400 right hand and left doing good too. As soon as i get my squat stands and matting sorted in garage will vid a workout an give the hg500 a go with the 2" set (whats needed for the bounty). I doubt i will finish it but should be closer than ive been before. Bodyweight is 120kg+

• 2 weeks later...

Training from sunday..

(no belt)

Squat 90.5kg 5 x 5

Grippers

right

- HG500 2" set x 7mm (####)

- #4 (m) ccs 3 attempts best 3mm, medium width set x overcrush, mms x 2 PR

- #4 (e) mms paused x 6 PB?

- #4 (e) mms x 4 drop #3/#2

left

- HG500 2" set x ok attempt

- #4 (m) x 6 attempts best 2mm, #4 (e) mms x 2 PB, rb300 mms x 9, drop #3/#2

One hand axle deadlift to 90.5kg x 1/1

Axle deadlift 135.5kg x 10

Felt weak from shop move had to do on thursday, after a crap atrempt with the 500 just wanted to see how hard the 4 is ccs compared to it then call it but turned into a good session. This is first time using the thinner handles in a good while and first time heavy in a good while too.

By the way, no videos because my camera did that 'card protected' thing again but the card was not locked/i couldnt get it to work.

The plan for training now is 3 weeks thick handle grippers then thin handle again. I feel on a good day i'd get my medium 4 to 1-2mm so hopefully can do that next time. I'm gonna be using the 500 for ccs and mms now. Generally i don't attempt grippers i'm not capable of closing but theres a different set of rules for the thick handles. Also going to be starting up some pinch work.

Didn't realise that but Davids been pretty unfront and honest about it and said that it's probably not the best choice. No money in the sport + high risk of injury. I've talked things over with my girlfriend and we think mma may be a better choice. I think i'm done competing in strongman either way. Right now it's all about the #4 though.

Was beat up and tired but did another gripper session the other day. The skin on my hands recovered surprisingly well so i thought id get one more thin handle before switching to soley thick handle for a few sessions..

(no belt)

Squats 110.5kg 5 x 5

Superset grippers..

Right

- COC#4 (m) 5 x 1 ccs attempts (1/8")

- COC#4 (m) 5 x 1 1.5" (2nd closed)

- COC#4 (e) mms x 7

- HG400 ws x 26, mms x 30, clicks x 100ish superset four 5kg pinch hold

Left

- COC#4 (m) mms 6 x 1 (1/16")

- COC#4 (e) mms 3 x 2, 1

- HG400 ws x 15, mms x 23, clicks x 70ish superset four 5kg pinch hold

Definately a bit off with the right hand (just due to work/fatigue) but i'm confident it's gonna happen soon. I still can't get my camera to work. I think i'll have see if sarah can film with phone (is not so bad) but she wont go near garage due to spiders.

May 15th 2013

(no belt)

smith squat to 50kg a side x 10 superset grippers to BC500 x 20 (video below)

3 sets smith bench press superset fat gripz deadlift to 140kg

pull ups to failure

alternate dumbbell curls 26kg superset incline dumbbell around the worlds 8kg

side lateral machine stack+extra weight superset ab machine

bent over dumbbell laterals 8kg x 12

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN48T7JTraM

Ordered some more plates, came the other day so i did some pinch and axle. Did a bunch of two 15kg, five 5kg and three 15kg two handed then upto 160kg for a triple on the axle. I have 185kg of plates now. Got my ghp9 here too, not trying it yet though.

May 20th 2013

Felt ok enough to train and had the time (day off) so went after it..

(no belt)

Squats to 150.5kg x 3

Grippers to HG500

right - paused 1 inch set x 1 PB , mms x 7 clickers, mms x 10 clickers PB, 1 inch set x 1

left - mms x 2mm, mms x 1 PB, mms x 1mm, mms x 2mm

three 15kg two hands pinch romanian deadlift x 10

five 5kg one hand pinch x bunch

double overhand axle deadlift 150.5kg x 8

HG400 triple drops (ccs,mms,clickers) superset four 5kg pinch holds

Stronger than i thought id be. Struggled towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTu9cMD2hs0