Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Well i'm just really injury prone and kind of too strong for me own good at 180kg now so have to be very safe an hold back a lot but that's exactly what ive been thinking the last couple days that i need to put everything on rotation, which was the original plan for this phase (3 days on, 2 days off then repeat but different exercises, 3 rotations of it each block), what messes this up (other than lockdowns) is you get the events announced for competitions and then you can easily do too much of the same thing. What i often like to do is a phase of an exercise that's similar to the main exercise im looking to improve on and that has carry over and do smallish blocks of these on rotation, each might be a month etc

Extensive warm up, stretching, core etc

Axle strict press

- to 100kg x 5,5 (core spent)

Seated 

- the above x 5 (right shoulder felt off)

Incline

- the above x 8 (right shoulder again so didnt push)

Bench press wide grip

- to 130kg x 9

- 160kg x 5 paused loose slingshot

Dumbbell laterals into tricep pushdowns

- 10 sets of 10/10 back and forth (rediculous pump)

Felt spent today, been very sore in the legs from the squats even though kept light but also bit nigly in shoulders from holding the bar as i found i feel much stronger with grip in closer so need to rotate ssb/spider bar back in as above. Feel the same for pressing too, going to rotate dumbbells back in. Feel like im getting more muscular at same / similar bodyweight so things are going in the right direction just need to keep doing everything i can do stay injury free / sort out any issues i have. Got more physio coming soon.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Savage

• mobsterone

• Alawadhi

• Geralt

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah about two minutes after asking I saw it. It does look good. I'd hate the hub but the rest looks fine. The $40,000 is spread over ALL the events at that expo I think (inc a/w) and not just the 'ar

I will finally pipe in here. I think everyone had their say via clogging up Paul's training log. So, if everyone wants to continue with the debate, open a new thread elsewhere so as to not cont

Regarding the use of 'easy' plates. I'm reminded of a 'cheaters' post Clay Edgin put up some years back. In it he admitted to going out of his way to find the easiest stuff top bend, fold and so on. T

Posted Images

Paul Savage
35 minutes ago, mobsterone said:

Deffo agree with overloading the lifting pattern when we do event training. . 180kg/ HAF!

Yeah for sure, there are exceptions of course if it's not something your really ever doing in other movements / exercises like stub for example, yeah you train your thumbs from regular pinch but really it's just too specific an whats going to bring that up the most is several weeks / months of stub lifting.

Same for example the 18" deadlift, especially when your taller and it's below the knee, general back training just doesn't often translate to it. Luke Richardson for example, a great deadlifter but did poorly in the 18" deadlift at worlds strongest man, why? he didn't train it. That's a just a programming error from his coach (i use the term loosely as i have clients that have had his 'coach' and it's more like rob you an do nothing but another story!).

I think the key with this kind of thing is finding a balance with it and like you say, different grip's, suttle difference etc Like now im training with a power bar, ill try to get to 200kg x 20 double overhand, train like that for a month or so, then ill switch to the deadlift bar double overhand, which of course gives a couple inches of important leverage from that height, then ill switch to figure 8 straps holding thumbless in the bottom of fingers adding to it. It's the same exercise but ive gone from doing it in a much harder way with pulling from below my knee with the power bar that doesnt have the flex DO, to pulling essentially from above my knee with the deadlift bar with figure 8's. Similar would be i might have a client do double pause axle deadlifts for month, single pause axle deadlifts for a month, stiff bar deadlifts for a month, then deadlift bar pulls for month, gradually making the exercise easier by slight changes as the poundages progress. I feel like this kind of thing is a good way of making some good improvement on a lift / event, especially when it's something you can easily get injured on.

mobsterone

Similar to conversations we had back in the day with wanna-be strongman competitors. Too many weren't training farmers walk without straps. Low and behold they'd do a comp and no straps were allowed and they'd fail. Ditto on some farmers equipment with thinner or fatter handles than they were used to. It was always worth making a trip to feel the kit then making small adaptions to their training. Same again with holds for time vs walks, And what about how the gas bottle type were sods to balance? Or walks with a turn and walks without. Loz, as you know, was amazing at the pickup getting 3 steps ahead of guys before they'd done 1. And that's one event lol

Edited by mobsterone
Paul Savage
23 hours ago, mobsterone said:

Similar to conversations we had back in the day with wanna-be strongman competitors. Too many weren't training farmers walk without straps. Low and behold they'd do a comp and no straps were allowed and they'd fail. Ditto on some farmers equipment with thinner or fatter handles than they were used to. It was always worth making a trip to feel the kit then making small adaptions to their training. Same again with holds for time vs walks, And what about how the gas bottle type were sods to balance? Or walks with a turn and walks without. Loz, as you know, was amazing at the pickup getting 3 steps ahead of guys before they'd done 1. And that's one event lol

Oh yeah for sure, you have to be specific with these things and you can easily go from last to first on an event with good competitors just by knowing how to do it, and it's surprising how many often don't know how even at the higher levels. This is what annoys me about all the bs with coaches these days (and nutritionists but thats another rant!), you get so many claiming to be the best out there, bigging themselves up something massive, yet all they do is give a general routine anyone could find with 5 minutes on google. No help with technique, nothing taylored to them and their specific needs, no help with mindset, goal setting, nothing, just give us your money now sod off and put more weight on the bar each week if your doing it right or not. The worlds full of false advertsing, problem is people just don't know any better.

Edit - I should probably make a video on this

Edited by Paul Savage