Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. So we did world grip championships again recently, I got 3rd in heavy class and 5th overall, Becca won women's by several points then also won strongwoman again finishing with a 227.5kg / 500lb deadlift after 10 previous events which was heaviest ever strongwomen deadlift ever drug tested.

We had done almost no training for these contests but Becca was in good shape due to previous strongwoman prep. I was very much out of shape as had been putting lot of effort into coaching her for a good while and not training much myself. Write up wise silver bullet went terribly for Becca. The one time she got to do it in training she went over the world record but she messed up the position and had the gripper too high so her finger slipped almost instantly and was touching the silver bullet, ref said to get it off and it dropped so she got 5 seconds 😕 Personally I'd love to see two attempts allowed on this event as other events get 4 attempts and this event its super easy to make mistakes that have nothing to do with strength. For me I was weak in training on this, only managed just over 20 seconds on 3.9 #4 when previous best was 33 on 4.3 #4 so I had no idea what to expect. Set it much easier than I thought as I was struggling with that the couple times I'd trained it, held to 10 seconds or so and the ref told me I had to straighten my arm which I basically can't do, tried to straighten it and lost it at about 15 seconds and it also hurt my arm. My right arm doesn't bend much possibly due to all the heavy grippers over the years so trying to straighten it past where it can properly do it makes squeezing tight impossible. Otherwise I would have for sure got the world record as it felt way stronger than I expected and dont think it was a particularly hard #4. Annoying as this isn't in the ironmind rules to keep straight arm so unfair in my personal opinion (wasn't mentioned in the rule meeting either but thats life). Harri beat me and went above the record. Second event was wrist roller, we had done no training for this so no idea what to expect. Becca won the women's and made it easy, for me not so much, got to just before the end quick but then lost grip with my right hand and took an age and lot of effort to finish. Next event was ironmind hub, Becca had just tried side thumb technique and got huge PB in training but for some reason she couldn't do it at all in the contest, she completely failed her 22.5kg opener trying probably 15 times. She ended up just using a normal grip and went up to getting air on 27.5kg. Super strong but no world record unfortunately. Me I did something a but stupid and skipped 30kg to go for 32.5kg then hope for more but my best this event is only 33kg and I kept failing 32.5kg half way up. Would have got a good number of points if I choose to do the 30kg and cost me 4th on overall as was only a point back. Next was little big horn which finally got a world record in / things going more to plan. I'd done 85kg and failed 90kg half way up when we tried it in training and 85kg was best I did, think the best was 97.5kg maybe 95kg. Last event was axle Becca doing 40mm me 50mm. Becca did easy 150kg for the win with the world record only 151kg but because she had two days of strongwoman contest after there was no need to do it. I got 170kg and missed 175kg twice I think. I was shot after the wrist roller for this but was also a tough setup balance wise with tyres on. Strength wise I could do the 175kg but balance was way off both attempts, I think the plates had slid over. Think the best on this was 185kg.

Overall not exactly what we had planned for Becca with doing over the records in silver bullet and hub she was wanting those too but was pretty happy with my result with the lack of training. A lot of strong competitors in this contest both male and definitely I would say the most stacked line up ever in grip comp for the females.

Next up is europes strongest woman very soon then were going to get back in the gym and also start training for coc certifications again with contests finally stopping. Next year I want to do both the grip and strongman like Becca has been doing so will be preparing for these contests heavily. Hopefully they do the grip first again like they did this year as I'd have no chance after two days of strongman.

Edited by Paul Savage