Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Similar to conversations we had back in the day with wanna-be strongman competitors. Too many weren't training farmers walk without straps. Low and behold they'd do a comp and no straps were allowed and they'd fail. Ditto on some farmers equipment with thinner or fatter handles than they were used to. It was always worth making a trip to feel the kit then making small adaptions to their training. Same again with holds for time vs walks, And what about how the gas bottle type were sods to balance? Or walks with a turn and walks without. Loz, as you know, was amazing at the pickup getting 3 steps ahead of guys before they'd done 1. And that's one event lol

Edited by mobsterone

23 hours ago, mobsterone said:

Similar to conversations we had back in the day with wanna-be strongman competitors. Too many weren't training farmers walk without straps. Low and behold they'd do a comp and no straps were allowed and they'd fail. Ditto on some farmers equipment with thinner or fatter handles than they were used to. It was always worth making a trip to feel the kit then making small adaptions to their training. Same again with holds for time vs walks, And what about how the gas bottle type were sods to balance? Or walks with a turn and walks without. Loz, as you know, was amazing at the pickup getting 3 steps ahead of guys before they'd done 1. And that's one event lol

Oh yeah for sure, you have to be specific with these things and you can easily go from last to first on an event with good competitors just by knowing how to do it, and it's surprising how many often don't know how even at the higher levels. This is what annoys me about all the bs with coaches these days (and nutritionists but thats another rant!), you get so many claiming to be the best out there, bigging themselves up something massive, yet all they do is give a general routine anyone could find with 5 minutes on google. No help with technique, nothing taylored to them and their specific needs, no help with mindset, goal setting, nothing, just give us your money now sod off and put more weight on the bar each week if your doing it right or not. The worlds full of false advertsing, problem is people just don't know any better.

Edit - I should probably make a video on this

Edited by Paul Savage

Warm up, stretching etc

safety bar squat

- to 145kg 3 x reps last set all paused (easy)

grippers wide to silver bullet

- to hard #4 x 8 R / medium #4 x 11 L

18" DO deadlift

- to 200kg x 8 (easy)

Sumo axle double pause deadlift

- 90kg 3 x reps (felt great)

Good mornings

- monster band 2 x reps

plate pinch (one hand)

- to two 20kg high pulls (these very much had a 'sweet spot')

On 1/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, Paul Savage said:

Oh yeah for sure, you have to be specific with these things and you can easily go from last to first on an event with good competitors just by knowing how to do it, and it's surprising how many often don't know how even at the higher levels. This is what annoys me about all the bs with coaches these days (and nutritionists but thats another rant!), you get so many claiming to be the best out there, bigging themselves up something massive, yet all they do is give a general routine anyone could find with 5 minutes on google. No help with technique, nothing taylored to them and their specific needs, no help with mindset, goal setting, nothing, just give us your money now sod off and put more weight on the bar each week if your doing it right or not. The worlds full of false advertsing, problem is people just don't know any better.

Edit - I should probably make a video on this

Maybe we could do a zoom one together?? 

1 hour ago, mobsterone said:

Maybe we could do a zoom one together?? 

The only thing i know of that's zoom is zoom poker haha but i've already recorded it, uploading it soon

• Like 1

Should have spoke more in terms of accountabilty there as thats one of the major things of course but didnt want to do it over.

Just wanted to say, no pain at all in back yesterday or today so looks like i can start to ramp things up a little. Will most likely bump things up to 4 plates a side on squats over the next few workouts an going to go higher on the 18" deadlift instead of sticking to 200kg. 

• Like 2

warm ups, stretching etc

dumbbell side bends

- 30kg 3 x rep/reps

rope crunches

- 3 x reps

lat pulldowns

- 4 x reps alteranating behind the neck with front each rep

atlas stone rows

- 50kg 5 x 5 (nice an light start with these pausing at top)

banded single arm rows

- 5 x reps/reps

frame shrugs

- to 125kg 2 x reps

alternating plate curls

- to 15kg's x reps (the rim being so sharp an fat is an issue with these)

alternating dumbbell hammer curls

- to 50kg's x 8/8 (much more akward than the 45's)

barbell curls

- 40kg 2 x reps

axle reverse curls

- 20kg 3 x reps

pronation

- black band x reps (pretty heavy)

Edited by Paul Savage

Warm up, stretching etc

Seated dumbbell press

- 25kg's 10 x 10

Plate loaded fly machine

- +40kg 7 x reps (odd one, very light but then few reps in chest feels like it's going to tear off)

TrIcep pushdowns

- 100 reps in as little sets as possible

Dumbbell laterals

- 100 reps in as little sets as possible

Can barely lift my arms

Will do

warm ups etc

DO axle sumo deadlift

- to 130kg 3 x 2 double paused (didnt feel the best)

18" DO deadlift

- to 220kg x 8 (again didnt feel the best today)

leg press paused

- to 230kg x reps (super easy obviously)

good mornings

- monster band 3 x reps

pinch block narrow (too narrow for me)

- to +32.5kg lifts

- +25kg x holds

Forgot to take pre workout so possibly why thing didnt feel the best today

Warm ups, stretching etc

Plate loaded seated row

- to +60kg 3 x reps (much heavier than you would think)

dumbbell shrugs

- to 40kg's 3 x reps

v-grip pulldowns

- 3 x reps

alternating plate curls

- 11kg's (25lb) 3 x reps 

two arm dumbbell hammer curls

- to 30kg's x 8

reverse dumbbell curls

- to 10kg plus two drops x reps

pronation

- red band x lots each arm

arm wrestling

- bunch of warming up and then some half hearted slow pulls (me pulling against added band tension)

Arms actually feel better in terms of joints etc after the arm wrestling but was very careful, obviously well warmed up and also no rest at all other than using the other arm an getting couple sips of water so flushing lots of blood in etc

warm ups, stretching etc

Seated dumbbell press

- to 30kg's x 10,10,10,10,13

bench press

- to 140kg x 8

- 100kg x pause reps wide

- 100kg x pause reps narrow

fly machine

- +40kg 3 x reps

rope pushdowns

- 3 x reps

dumbbell laterals superset front raises

- 3 x reps

So as of tonight ive started doing a nightly arm workout thats sort of a mix of a feeder workout and a high rep arm wrestling circuit. It's 8 different exercises with a single band, 50 reps each so 400 total reps per arm. Bicep exercises are hammer curls with band over the knuckles (so much harder on the wrist), reverse curls, regular curls, and pronation curls, triceps are pushdowns palms facing, reverse grip pushdowns, regular pushdowns, and overhead extensions. Ill be doing to every night. Couple reasons, one, get bigger arms, forearms etc two to help with joint health and recovery being that im already doing grippers, now arm wrestling, and soon to be strongman events, and three to get my arms conditioned for arm wrestling. Starting the a really light band for the first week then will move up to a heavier one.

warm up, stretching etc

1.5" raised stiff bar deadllift

- loads of sets at 60 & 100 reassing technique, stance, grip etc then 120kg x 5

18" DO deadlift (deadlift bar)

- 120,140,160,180kg x 5 snatch grip

- 210, 240kg x 2 (just didnt have anything left in my pinky and ring fingers after the snach grips)

good mornings

- monster band x 10,10

leg press paused slow eccentrics

- to 270kg x rest pause set (very light but rediculous burn)

One hand plate pinch

- three 25lb x nope (extrmely wide, definately a lot harder than the 4 10kg thin plates)

- two 25lb x holds back and forth x 3 each hand (still wide)

Decided to leave the squats for today with it first time back doing deadlifts off the floor. Will add straps now on the 18" pulls as the snatch grips are a killer on the pinky and ring fingers with that thin deadlift bar. Could tell after 2 reps at the 240 that 8 was just never going to happen. Ill just do it next time with straps.

Edited by Paul Savage

Forgot to say definately having some pain issues after the arm wrestling even as little as i did. It's pretty much only left arm for whatever reason but ice, cbd creams and spray, anti inflams for training etc and hopefully these nightly arm workouts will help but honestly been just too light a band so far, changing that tonight.

warm ups, stretching etc

axle shrugs 

- 90kg 3 x reps

lat pulldowns

- 5 x reps

cable rows v-grip

- 4 x reps

plate curls (single hand)

- to 15kg x reps 

- 25lb x reps

dumbbell hammer curls (single hand)

- to 25kg x reps

arm wrestling practice 

- worked up to a couple defensive pulls with monster band added for me this time, won one, lost one with that but think monster (green) band plus back band is maybe more fair as gave too much on the one i lost

This was couple days back, thought id logged it

warm up, stretching etc

axle power clean & strict press

- 40, 50, 60, 70, 80kg x 3 (just practicing technique, did want to go to 90 but arm pain)

log press

- pretty much x no (arm pain was horrible)

swiss bar spud inc strict presses (weights are free swinging)

- 37kg 3 x reps slow eccentrics (ouch even at this weight)

Dumbbell laterals superset v-grip pushdowns

- 5 x reps / reps

cable flys

- 3 x reps

So made the obviously stupid mistake of putting heat spray on my arms when there already inflamed from the arm wrestling. Holy hell that was painful. I think this was a clear sign to not do the arm wrestling every week with how bad my arms effected training, i think every month or so would be better for the time being. The circuits will help condition me also so hopefully won't be as bad next time. Could also possibly leave it till after my strongman comp in june and just keep doing the circuits etc

Ok so now looking to start getting into some strongman events training for my contest in the coming months, also had events in for worlds strongest woman later in the year, wales strongest woman recently too so with me training with / coaching Becca although i don't have to do everything she does i of course have to programme with these things in mind. Of course there are similar events, stones, overhead presses, heavy carries etc but specific things like training bag toss, training for car walk etc so ive actually planned out the next several weeks of training with all her exercises / events / weights planned and will end up doing the same for me when i get a touch better idea of where im at on a few things. Weights are going be kept on the lower side with a focus on good positioning and using the correct techniques and just not looking to wear myself out too bad and get injured, but ill be training often in terms of each muscle group. On that note have now also added shoulders into the nightly feeder workouts so it's now 50 reps each exercise doing reverse curls, hammer curls from the knuckle, pronation curls, pull aparts, side laterals, overhead presses, reverse pushdowns, hammer pushdowns and regular pushdowns (450 total reps). I cannot couldn't finsh the sets straight, the pump is just unbearable. 

The nightly circuits are brutal

Warm ups, stretching etc

log press

- just to 77.5kg for some clean & stricts (easy but left bicep not having it still)

Overhead strap holds swiss bar

- to 97kg x 10 seconds (tougher than you would expect)

- drop to 67kg x 20 seconds

- 77kg 2 x 20 seconds

ssb strap yoke

- 125kg 3 x 20m with two turns (light but can feel this will be brutal with heavier weights)

Probably going to be another week before my arms heal up back to normal an i can actually do stuff again, grippers etc

Warm up, stretching etc

1.5 raised deadlift

- to 125kg 4 x 5 (keeping these nice and light)

13.5" snatch grip block pulls DO

- to 140kg x 5 (felt super light but first time with this height so being smart)

carry & drag medley (10m each implement)

- 80kg sandbag into 105kg sheild carry into 210kg drag x 2 (second run 26 seconds)

Messed up the pick on the sandbag so could have gone quicker there but very happy with my running speed inbetween the implements, also the sheild felt very light. Only issue was left arm again in a lot of pain. I think now i just need rest anything that hurts it for a week or 2.

Warm ups, stretching etc

bench press

- to 100kg x 10, 10, 10

ssb pause squats

- to 125kg x 5, 5, 5

lat pulldown 

- 2 x 20 (10 over, 10 under)

Nice easy one today, beat up and keeping the arm out of bother

bodyweight was 182kg today

Warm ups, stretching etc

Axle power snatch

- to 82.5kg x 1 (awkard axle so happy with that)

Axle power clean & strict press

- to 90kg x 5

Log strict press

- 75kg + green bands x 8

Axle high incline press paused

- to 100kg + green band x 6

So i've decided to change my training up. Few reasons, strongman events have gone well off the bat for both Becca and myself so im not really concerned with them, still got lots of time for them before competing etc I feel the only real weakness for us both is just brute strength at this point. This has also came about because they have put a 106.6/235lb log for reps in as the first event of worlds strongest woman, which is just stupid heavy and world class to get a rep, most will no doubt fail or just not show up because of it but basically a failed rep means zero points and then massively skews the overal points as there no other event that can be zero'd and makes it pretty damn hard to win. Its essential to get a rep so need to get clean an pressing some big weights overhead, an work on just being more powerful.

Plan is keeping is simple, twice weekly..

- power snatch 

- power clean & push press 

- high incline log press

- zercher squat

- chin ups

- stiff leg rdl's

- plate curl tricep extension superset

Might throw in some variations an maybe fat gripz or pinch warm ups but that's essentially it for now. First goal is 200lb power snatch. Also to do some chin ups but will start band assisted, negatives etc

Changed things slightly from the above to try get little bit more focus on deadlift and snatch / cleans individually (going to focus on one each session)

Warm ups, stretching etc

Power snatch

- to 80kg x 3 (felt good)

snatch pulls

- 90kg x 3, 3, 3

13" snatch grip block pulls

- to 150kg x 5 DO (getting bit of pain in left pinky finger)

- 170kg x 5 straps

Strict press

- to 100kg x 1 (flew up)

- 50kg x 20 (holy pump)

Palms facing pull up hold (used a football bar on rack)

- 5, 10 seconds (went too narrow, almost cramped in chest)

seated ez curl

- to 43kg x 6 (didnt want to push the tendons)

zercher squats

- to 70kg x 5 (knees werent feeling great so left it light first time)

ssb strap yoke (wanted to put this in for core work)

- 125, 165kg 20m with two turns