Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

May as well put videos of Becca's workout highlights up. Nothing heavy weights wise yesterday but got the #3 to silver bullet for 7 and did 4 10kg eleiko's with one finger thumb assist easy.

First day of new training plan though no set weights on this it's just a gradually build starting nice and easy, upping when appropriate and if back issues allow. Obviously im trying to get the #4 credit card closed grip wise but main aim of it is to get rid of back issues, improve flexibility and mobility and bring up weak areas. Right now still feel like my left leg is significantly weaker so going to adjust leg press for split squats next time to get individual leg work in and also feel like left calf and IT band are still tight and thats causing knee pain in left knee so doesn't help.

This plan is 3 days training with 2 days off following then repeat so not on weekly schedule but gym is 24/7

Day 1 = squats/legs with grippers and pinch

Day 2 = deadlift/back with hold, thickbar and wrist

Day 3 = Pressing/upper body

Extensive warm up, lots of stretching etc

SSB with hip circle

- to 115kg x 5

Grippers

- ccs to coc #3.5 R (not a problem) coc #3 left

- hardest #4 x 4 to silver bullet R (this ones a mutant)

- coc #4 to silver bullet x 9 L (happy with this)

- bottom two fingers inverted T x 25/25

SSB front squat

- 65kg 3 x 10

Blockbuster pinch

- to +35kg a hand (not chalking it so very slippy)

Leg press

- 4,5,6 plates a side x lots (hardest leg press ever weight wise but also pain in left knee here)

Seated calf raise

- to 50kg x reps (ouch)

Standing calf raise

- to half stack x 10 (very tough)

• Like 1

Loads of stretching / warm up

Sumo deadlift paused off 1" mat

- 75kg 3 x 5 (felt great)

below knee rack pull

- to 105kg 3 x 5

45 degree back extension

- to + green band on neck x reps

lying leg curl

- 3 x reps

standing single leg curl

- 3 x reps

frame shrugs

- +40kg 3 x reps (surprisingly heavy for just a plate on it)

lat pulldown 2" thickbar 

- 3 x reps

fat gripz extreme dumbbell row 

- 30kg x rest pause set (didnt really work as handles too thick to begin with, will change)

alternating dumbbell hammer curls

- to 40kg x 8/8 (struggled, hard with these kind of dumbbells)

seated 2" thickbar ez curls

- to +28kg x 6

Cable pronation with rope

- x lots / lots

extensors

-  3 xreps

Edited by Paul Savage

Loads of stretching / warm up

axle power snatch into power clean

- to 45kg? x 2/2

axle strict press

- 75kg? x 3 w/ 5 5ecs hold 10 secs eccentric (ouch)

- 85kg x 5 (simple enough)

single arm dumbbell press

- to 37kg x 8/8 slow eccentrics

Close grip bench press

- to 155kg x 3 (felt off, triceps felt beat)

- 175kg x 3 w/ slingshot (loose an didnt seem to help much at all)

plate loaded incline flys

- 2 sets x reps

machine flys

- 2 x reps

side lateral machine

- 3 x reps

tricep pushdown 2" ez thickbar

- 3 x reps

• Like 1

Extensive warm up

Cambered bar squat w/ hip circle

- to 125kg x 5 (enough for today)

Grippers to sliver bullet (from wide / ccs width)

- to mutant #4 right x 4 or 5 (found an even harder one, this is like a pro or something rediculous)

- coc #4 x 8 left (had more but pinky was slipping off)

- coc #4 x 15 right

- coc 3.5 x 18 left

Bottom two fingers inverted (short range)

- trainer x 40/40

Hack squat

- +80kg 3 x 10 (again enough for today just doing minium to make progress)

Plate pinch 

- to 4 10kg thin eleiko's each hand (better lifts)

Plate loaded leg extension

- 10kg a leg 2 x 20 or so

seated calf raise

- to +70kg x 10 (very tough)

smith calf raise

- +20kg 2 x 10 (calfs were wrecked)

Extensive warm up

trapbar deadlift

- to 135kg 3 x 3

Axle sumo do deadlift (free spinning)

- paused 85kg 3 x 5

- 125kg x 1 (was just testing a bit more weight for becca's grip)

Seated row 2" spinning handles

- 3 x reps

lat pulldown 2" thickbar thumbless

- 3 x reps to 13 plates (heavy)

back extension

- green band on neck x 11 (tough)

lying leg curls

- 3 x reps to tough set of 10

ez 2" thickbar cable curl

- 3 x reps

ez 2" thickbar reverse cable curl

- 3 x reps

Pronation with strap

- 2 plates x lots/lots

Axle strict press

- to 95kg x 5 (again, simple enough)

Axle incline bench

- to 110kg x 9 paused (thought was 10, lift off very bad though)

Viking press (individual)

- +40kg 3 x 10 strict (just pumping though heavy frame)

Incline machine

+40kg 3 x reps paused (same, nice feel this, very high angle)

Side lateral machine

- +25kg 3 x reps

Rope extensions into pushdowns

- x lots

So another lockdown basically means i can't film anything but will try get some grippers at some points

Grippers to silver bullet (ccs width)

- to coc #4 x 15 R 0 L (no idea why just had no power left today)

Tried the gm again since grippers felt poor and got exactly the same 118kg so seems to have nothing to with gripper strength as didnt go up even with lot of improvement on the grippers. I think for me it just doesnt fit right in my hand though, i think that's why an why my numbers so low. I feel for me it needs to be wider than the max setting to fit properly in my hand. Im told the biggest numbers are with the handles closest together an noticed the records all seem to be done that way but that feels even more awkward for me and i can only get 90 odd, the wider i go the more i get but it doesnt go very wide. Doubt ill use it again since doesn't seem it would tell me anything with no carry over etc

Barbell squat (first time in years doing squats with a barbell, wide powerlifting stance not pushing depth)

- to 140kg 5 x 5-8 (this weight felt very light)

18" DO deadlift

- to 170kg 5 x 3

Axle DO rdl's

- 50kg 3 x reps (slow eccentrics, squeezing at lockout)

Pinch block

- to +30kg 2 x lift and holds e/h

Happy enough as back feels ok

Lat pulldown 5 sets x reps

v-handle pulldowns facing away 3 sets x reps

barbell shrugs 3 sets 100kg x reps

dumbbell shrugs 45kg's x 18

t-bar row machine 3 sets x reps (very nice feel this)

pendlay rows 60kg 3 x 5 (just testing back on it)

alternating dumbbell hammer curls to 40kg x 10/10

reverse axle curl 20kg 3 x reps

barbell curl just empty bar 3 x reps (for flexibilty)

banded pronation red band x lots / lots (feels better with band)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 9:30 PM, Paul Savage said:

So another lockdown basically means i can't film anything but will try get some grippers at some points

Grippers to silver bullet (ccs width)

- to coc #4 x 15 R 0 L (no idea why just had no power left today)

Tried the gm again since grippers felt poor and got exactly the same 118kg so seems to have nothing to with gripper strength as didnt go up even with lot of improvement on the grippers. I think for me it just doesnt fit right in my hand though, i think that's why an why my numbers so low. I feel for me it needs to be wider than the max setting to fit properly in my hand. Im told the biggest numbers are with the handles closest together an noticed the records all seem to be done that way but that feels even more awkward for me and i can only get 90 odd, the wider i go the more i get but it doesnt go very wide. Doubt ill use it again since doesn't seem it would tell me anything with no carry over etc

Barbell squat (first time in years doing squats with a barbell, wide powerlifting stance not pushing depth)

- to 140kg 5 x 5-8 (this weight felt very light)

18" DO deadlift

- to 170kg 5 x 3

Axle DO rdl's

- 50kg 3 x reps (slow eccentrics, squeezing at lockout)

Pinch block

- to +30kg 2 x lift and holds e/h

Happy enough as back feels ok

Lockdown is shit isnt it mate. 
Not gonna let it stop me though looking forward to see how you progress through it bud!

• Like 1

It means you can't film at a gym. Plenty training at home in their spare rooms, sheds, gardens and even back alleys. Grippers esp would be easy to work at home. 

14 hours ago, Giggs said:

Lockdown is shit isnt it mate. 
Not gonna let it stop me though looking forward to see how you progress through it bud!

Yeah it's getting old now, should have just gone full lockdown with it actually being enforced straight away, nobody allowed in the country etc but nothing we can do about it just got to adjust and plod on. Don't expect anything heavy thats at all lower back related for a while, just going to be slow increases, nothing difficult etc It's definately got a lot better but still niggly.

1 hour ago, mobsterone said:

It means you can't film at a gym. Plenty training at home in their spare rooms, sheds, gardens and even back alleys. Grippers esp would be easy to work at home. 

Yeah ill be trying to film some grippers at home

• Like 1

In depth warm up, lots of stretching, core work etc

Axle strict press

- to 103kg x 4 (was easy enough to press but core felt weak and it being a solid one piece axle was causing balnce issues so racked it at 4)

Axle incline bench

- to 115kg x 7 paused (again, balance was an issue)

Axle bench press

- to 120kg x 15? (holding wide, holy pump)

Close grip bench press

- 100kg x rest paused reps

Dumbbell laterals into alternating dumbbell front raises

- 10kg's, 5kg's, 3kg's drop set

On 1/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Paul Savage said:

Yeah ill be trying to film some grippers at home

Tag me when you do. 

2 hours ago, mobsterone said:

Tag me when you do. 

Ok will do

• Like 1

Just to let anyone following along know, obviously i have the #4 goal, but that's really a long term goal, i don't expect to be able to just come back an start ccsing #4's in a couple month, it's going to take a year or two or consistent training chipping away to have a proper shot at certifying an that's fine, i don't want to rush anything an get injuries again. I do have a shorter term goal along side it though with a strongman comp mid year. Plenty of grip involved so it fits well and i really want to get to the strongest ive been all around this year. Doing more than ever to keep the injuries at bay an sort everything an i will continue to do so, hopefully it pays off. Anyway the events are applons axle 130kg c+p for reps (so like the arnolds axle but 36kg lighter), 320kg 18" sigmarsson wheels deadlift for reps, 130kg farmers into 130kg sheild carry, hercules hold or car hold no straps 150kg a hand, an stone run to 180kg stone. Obviously the farmers an sheild medley is a lighter speed event so it's just a question of getting fast with that, stones i havent done in years but i feel they would always be good for me, obviously grip hold i should win, the wheels deadlift i havent tried heavy but theres a decent amount of bend in the bar at that weight an actually from that height im decently strong so i actually feel that wont be too bad an event for me but i guess training will tell. The axle ive never done heavy with it being solid like that but i know it's very awkward an much harder than free spinning so i don't think many reps will win that it's just going to be a case of practice but pressing wise im pretty confident with that weight. Overall i think i can realistically win this one, as said, only a local one, there will be plenty of strong guys like but if i can keep the injuries at bay an keep consistent i should do ok. For now im just going to plod along, upping weights very gradually whilst rehabbing the back, there's no rush at all, have lots of time.

Extensive warm up, stretching, core work etc

Squats

- to 160kg x 10 (last 5 paused because it was easy)

18" DO deadlift

- to 200kg 3 x 5 

DO axle rdl's

- 70kg 3 x reps

Plate pinch hold (two hands)

- three wide 15kg x ?? (not the best, chalk not good, felt slippy from the off)

Bodyweight = 179kg

Did something my right side / hip didnt like in warm ups or early squats so was wary of it whole session, used thick belt for squats and deads etc think maybe ill keep to 200kg on the 18" deadlift an maybe try work upto 15 or 20 double overhand whilst get all the hip / back issues sorted.

stretching, warm up etc as usual

frame shrugs

- to 115kg x 20 rest paused

row machine

- to +60kg x 10 (much heavier than you would think)

- +40kg 3 x reps

rope lat pullovers

- 3 x reps

plate curls

- to 15kg's x reps (not the greatest)

7lb sledge

- x bunch of wrist work

barbell curls

- 30kg 3 x reps (i cant curl worth a damn like this)

dumbbell hammer curls

- to 45kg's x 13/13

Reverse curls single arm

- x loads rest paused

Struggling with the barbell curls with flexibility, had same issue on plate curls, not got much flexibility in my wrists at all

A few suggestions. Like you I like to have certain targets I wanna hit if only for me. I've zero need to go crush records etc anymore as I once did but I still have the drive to perform to a level for myself. At the moment (early 2021) that's 3 plates a side (140kg/308lbs) on chest supported barbell rows, 130kg x 3 x 20 blip reps on the wrist roller and maxing my bench back to 170-175kg again. I'm more or less as big as I ever wanna get at 320lbs. 

However, in terms of general training here's stuff I do to allow me to max stuff out without knackering myself. It's even easier when we have access to a full commercial gym but, given how well equipped my home gym is, can be done there too.

So it's as simple as rotating over 2-3 workouts 2-3 different training schemes. Let's use back as an example: I can vary width of grips, holds and handles to do the same movements. So one session can be a close grip, the next medium and the last a wide grip just on Lat Pulldowns. In my gym I've a decently heavy stack on that machine and 4 handles. I'll vary grip etc on low cable rows. Then I can do both barbell and dumbbell rows too. I'll up the reps and lower the percentage of max (15 reps / 80% of max) 2x a year and lower the reps and up the percentage (as low as 4 but usually 6-8 and as high as 95%). You can see how this means you're not pounding away at too high a load and using the same movements and so not causing too much stress.

It still means you end up damn big and fkin strong lol. You can and will, given time, max out most gym kit. All of the above can apply to most bodyparts and lifts. As an illustration of how this can work I can, depending on where I am in the year, one arm dumbbell rowing 125kg/275lbs for a few reps or repping a 90kg / 198lb for 14 reps. I also take the long view - and at 41+ years now in the gym I've decades done and decades to go.

• Like 1

Well i'm just really injury prone and kind of too strong for me own good at 180kg now so have to be very safe an hold back a lot but that's exactly what ive been thinking the last couple days that i need to put everything on rotation, which was the original plan for this phase (3 days on, 2 days off then repeat but different exercises, 3 rotations of it each block), what messes this up (other than lockdowns) is you get the events announced for competitions and then you can easily do too much of the same thing. What i often like to do is a phase of an exercise that's similar to the main exercise im looking to improve on and that has carry over and do smallish blocks of these on rotation, each might be a month etc

Extensive warm up, stretching, core etc

Axle strict press

- to 100kg x 5,5 (core spent)

Seated 

- the above x 5 (right shoulder felt off)

Incline

- the above x 8 (right shoulder again so didnt push)

Bench press wide grip

- to 130kg x 9

- 160kg x 5 paused loose slingshot

Dumbbell laterals into tricep pushdowns

- 10 sets of 10/10 back and forth (rediculous pump)

Felt spent today, been very sore in the legs from the squats even though kept light but also bit nigly in shoulders from holding the bar as i found i feel much stronger with grip in closer so need to rotate ssb/spider bar back in as above. Feel the same for pressing too, going to rotate dumbbells back in. Feel like im getting more muscular at same / similar bodyweight so things are going in the right direction just need to keep doing everything i can do stay injury free / sort out any issues i have. Got more physio coming soon.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mobsterone said:

Deffo agree with overloading the lifting pattern when we do event training. . 180kg/ HAF!

Yeah for sure, there are exceptions of course if it's not something your really ever doing in other movements / exercises like stub for example, yeah you train your thumbs from regular pinch but really it's just too specific an whats going to bring that up the most is several weeks / months of stub lifting.

Same for example the 18" deadlift, especially when your taller and it's below the knee, general back training just doesn't often translate to it. Luke Richardson for example, a great deadlifter but did poorly in the 18" deadlift at worlds strongest man, why? he didn't train it. That's a just a programming error from his coach (i use the term loosely as i have clients that have had his 'coach' and it's more like rob you an do nothing but another story!).

I think the key with this kind of thing is finding a balance with it and like you say, different grip's, suttle difference etc Like now im training with a power bar, ill try to get to 200kg x 20 double overhand, train like that for a month or so, then ill switch to the deadlift bar double overhand, which of course gives a couple inches of important leverage from that height, then ill switch to figure 8 straps holding thumbless in the bottom of fingers adding to it. It's the same exercise but ive gone from doing it in a much harder way with pulling from below my knee with the power bar that doesnt have the flex DO, to pulling essentially from above my knee with the deadlift bar with figure 8's. Similar would be i might have a client do double pause axle deadlifts for month, single pause axle deadlifts for a month, stiff bar deadlifts for a month, then deadlift bar pulls for month, gradually making the exercise easier by slight changes as the poundages progress. I feel like this kind of thing is a good way of making some good improvement on a lift / event, especially when it's something you can easily get injured on.