Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Paul, you make sense. The strongest man on the planet nowadays with roids too can't do what Kinney did so you have all the right to question him.

Do the above^ train the way Joe did? I'm sure it's not even close.
The above train there hands very very hard and lift insane weights day in day out. I have tried joe's methods a number of times and lost strength, i know several others have tried them without a great deal of success. I don't think a routine based on negatives will do much of anything but make you good at negatives. This is also a great way to snap a tendon off. I don't feel it's a worth while method.
You think they train grippers like Joe did? Now you're just reaching.

Again, don't compare your results to Joe's. If his ideas didn't help you, you probably didn't do it right. Did you use a Monster Gripper, for your results test? I'd say no...being your palms seem to bruise easily.

Look at all the guys that have had success since, maybe there is someone but i don't know a single one that bases there training around negatives. Does this not tell you something?

It tells me that Joe was successful, because of those negs. The no.4 is the goal, right? No one has caught him yet....

So if you don't do it his way, don't you think it's unfair to say it doesn't work?

How long did you try his methods, Paul? There is a trend in grip that wasn't as prominent back when Joe was at this- being good at everything!

I think that helped him with this.

I can't remember exact time frames but a while. You don't seem to understand that's it's basically impossible to ccs a #4 without having a very high level of all around grip strength. Look at the guys on the #3.5 list, how many of them are just good at grippers? It does not work that way in that you just train grippers and get good at grippers, you have to do a lot of things to ccs high level grippers. Otherwise i would not bother to do pinch, thickbar, extensors etc .
None of them are on the no.4 list, Paul.

The #4 is harder than the #3.5, much harder, and what joe did, if a real normal #4, is much, much, MUCH harder than certing #4. However he couldn't do something all of the #3.5 certed guys can do. How can that make sense?

And for your information Paul, Joe was lifting his Inch. It wasn't something he was walking around with, but it was lifted.

However, it has nothing to do with gripper power- very little. Please take Mobster's advice and go over there and get up to speed on things about Joe...and ask him directly on there so he can answer your questions for all to see. Pm's are for friendly exchange's ...not for the accusing of fraud.

Paul, when I get back to my place, I am happy to send you Bob Lipinski's old #4.

The sweep is one of the toughest I have felt on any #4, and depending how well you do on it, Bob can vouch your gripper strength.

If you can provide a similar quality video as below, set it conventionally, pause it, and close the gripper, I will say you'll be 2nd to Holle in regards to grippers.

Are you up for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpjJ4DJsxdI&list=UUwZXJDZkARLJAsSExCS0y2w

A quote... Inside a quote... Inside a quote...

Inside a quote...

Getting hard to read

I think Paul has legit concerns, it's his right to voice them. I don't think ya need a wall full of gripper certs to be able to state an opinion about ones own ability.. Now some may see it as narcissistic but I don't believe Mr Savage happens to care and seems pretty confident at his level of strength. It doesn't seem like he's beating his chest to me - just being matter of fact about his strength.

The whole Internet thing sometimes blurs the context of statements and it seems this is an example.

Paul, you make sense. The strongest man on the planet nowadays with roids too can't do what Kinney did so you have all the right to question him.

Why should he do it. Many great grip guys never did that and Sum Gabrial did injure himseld quite badly. I remember even Clay once said on grippermania he doesn't think Joe claims are real.

Also, don't worry about others saying you can't do this nor that. I remember you since viper time. You also closed a #4 which Steve (another #4 closer and thick bar daddy) couldn't when you first met him if memory serves me right. Just keep on training hard and remember not to be arrogant and think you are the best. Many are very good too and some are better than you I believe :) . I believe with training you can and will cert on the #4 one day. But same as what everyone said, try to cert on other like the #3 and #3.5. One day God forbids you might injure yourself real hard as did Sum Gabrial. But that's just my opinion and I know you don't want anything besides a #4. So train hard for that day.

Am not arrogant in any way if you knew me in person you would know this. It doesnt make me awesome person if i can close #4 or not, just means i have strong hands. Being good person is being there for loved ones when needed etc

I can only go off what i see and have read nathan ccs old #4 but closest have seen ccs new #4 from others is 1/4 inch and i have done many closer attempts. If others have done ccs new #4 already then i congradulate them and i hope they certify.

No i could not close #4 when i first met steve, not sure where that story came about.

I didn't say you are. I said remember not to be arrogant. Two different things. What I meant here is I hope you never be one. That's all :)

Nathan certed on the GhP 9 of which I think and many other think is harder than ccs a #4. The rating of Ghp doesn't reflect it's strength because it has a tough sweep.

Sorry my bad. Your first meeting you were 2 mm away from closing your #3.5 (you can't have a good day everyday) back in 2007 http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=24307&page=1

But I am sure I read once again you met Mobster and he couldn't close a #4 which you did. That #4 was your easy #4 and it was narrow and I remember you said it was around 3.7 to 3.8.

The above train there hands very very hard and lift insane weights day in day out. I have tried joe's methods a number of times and lost strength, i know several others have tried them without a great deal of success. I don't think a routine based on negatives will do much of anything but make you good at negatives. This is also a great way to snap a tendon off. I don't feel it's a worth while method.
You think they train grippers like Joe did? Now you're just reaching.

Again, don't compare your results to Joe's. If his ideas didn't help you, you probably didn't do it right. Did you use a Monster Gripper, for your results test? I'd say no...being your palms seem to bruise easily.

slazbob you are hijacking his blog. Stop this nonesense with the monster gripper. Heath a #4 close took one from Joe long ago and didn't use it said it was too much. The strongest people on this planet cannot do what Joe did. What is it to you to prove Joe anyway? Do you train gripper like Joe? Do you have this dragon monster gripper? Heck can you even close a #3? Paul has proved himself strong enough (not enough to be the strongest on gripper and as Tommy said he is around 180's, but I digress, I say high 190's to low 200's) and you are not in a position to keep hijacking his training blog with your dinosaur fantasy gripper. This is trolling. Just motivate him.

A quote... Inside a quote... Inside a quote...

Inside a quote...

Getting hard to read

I think Paul has legit concerns, it's his right to voice them. I don't think ya need a wall full of gripper certs to be able to state an opinion about ones own ability.. Now some may see it as narcissistic but I don't believe Mr Savage happens to care and seems pretty confident at his level of strength. It doesn't seem like he's beating his chest to me - just being matter of fact about his strength.

The whole Internet thing sometimes blurs the context of statements and it seems this is an example.

At one time, this too was my opinion of Paul.. I never start with someone by hating on them. It is not my nature. "Checking" possibly, but hating, no way. I am of the mindset that everyone gets equal respect from day 1, right up until they prove i shouldnt continue giving it.

I all but baited Paul into acknowledging guys like Vogt, Struse, PK, Chez, etc. and instead of giving the slightest nod in their direction, he still went out of his way to imply he has gone farther than any of them.. That, to me, is the exact same thing as saying "f*+% those guys", but instead of him just coming out and saying it, he tries to come off as politically correct by just remaining silent on his true opinion of those guys. ...which is that they pinch easy plates, etc. ...do you think for 1 second that if Paul thinks Juha pinches easy plates, that he doesnt also think there is some "vice" to every other top guys best feats? He let his colors run with that one.. I have no doubts that everytime anyone on here gets up to top tier feats and then does them officially, hes more than likely silently making himself believe that the guy who just performed the feat is "cheating" somehow.

This all may seem like a hell of an assumption, by me... But have you ever seen Paul congratulate anyone on anything? I cant recall.. Which would be more evidence of narcissistic behavior.

And i dont want to give the wrong impression... Narcissistic tendencies are fine.. So long as you keep it real across the board.

You cant be a full time narcissist and then decide you want to rally up some defense from others by playing the "nice guy" card when you get put on blast about it.

No Tommy it doesn't mean f"#* those guys. It means I am stronger than them. I also think (I hope!) he didn't mean Juha is pinching easy plates but wider plates can be harder. But if he meant otherwise let him take Juha challenge and lift those plates. Or do to the Inch what Juha is doing. In my opinion, Juha is stronger in every aspect of gripdom sport. But Paul hey that's my opinion I can be wrong too.

Paul, I really love to see you cert and you are a very strong lad. But sportsmsnship is really nice too. Just don't say #3.5 is easy. After you certed on it THEN say it was easy enough for YOU and I congratulate anyone that did this feat as no normal man can do it. This is what Tommy is trying to tell you (I hope I got that right Tommy?! IF not then excuse me)

I have respect for all the top guys in grip, i don't think them certing the #3 or #3.5 isn't a great accomplishment, it's a personal thing with me to the #4 and if anybody accomplishes any training goal they have, good on them. I don't think i'm the best at grip, i was only talking of the facts AFTER i was called a fraud. Vogt was said to be the closest yet his video shows 1/4" gap, i have done 1/16", it's much closer. This does not mean i think i'm awesome and he's not, that's rediculous, it just means i have done better ccs on #4. All this stuff about my character is make believe, the thing with juha was again only stating the facts AFTER i was called a fraud. I don't feel using really narrow plates for plate pinching is a fair deal, it's much easier and that's not what a lot of the plate pinch feats are about. To me this is like making a blob narrower. I used to own some 10kg plates, you will see them in a video of steves where he calls them 'thin' plates, we always thought of them as a lesser feat than regular size plates, yet those thin plates were much much thicker than the measurements juha gave. Do you think this means i have no respect for juha's grip? of course i do, i am only stating facts and giving my opinion on this.

all,

I would remind everyone that this is paul's training log. keep it civil, no personal attacks, and no trolling.

Struggling to get on the ironmind forum as is my old email address and don't have the password. Not sure if i'm allowed two accounts.

Forearms still really sore from the first proper training session, definately had an impact. This should mean a six 5kg pinch before too long. This, 30k blob and three 15kg each hand are on the list for the coming months. These will take priority over all else for the time being. The six 5kg and blob are on the brink for me hand size wise, the three 15kg, though a bit wider than the ones i have done in the past, is more just a pure lack of strength.

• Like 1

Keep up the good work Paul!

The 30kg blob, is this the one from Gladiatorgrip?

Thanks. No is york legacy actually weighing 29.5kg because the handle weight is cut away. Is half of a 60kg york legacy dumbbell. This is the slightly harder of the pair that laine snook did a double deadlift on and then clean'd it's brother. I only have this one left now. After this people in america startes to cut 120lb york legacy dumbbells into blobs and they were named blobzilla due to the massive size compared to a typical 50lb blob.
  • Like 1

I have decided to leave getting the set of inch dumbbells to the following year and instead focus just on the gripper goals this year, of course with plate pinch goals to assist. With this decision i have instead bought some more plates, four 20kg disks and two 10kg disks. All bodypower standard olympic iron. The three 15kg will certainly take some effort due to the great width but am already thinking ahead to three 20kg. Hopefully can get the three 15kg and blob out the way pretty early next year then start working with the three 20kg. The best i have done in the past with three of steves 20's was a one finger and thumb assisted lift but not to lockout.

As for thickbar, will just keep doing the hangs as am upping bodyweight so should be tough anyway. May get 2.5 and 3" thickbars from work to save putting the fat gripz on and off every session.

Also am hopefully getting a higher quality camera for christmas to film training, have asked for it.

• Like 1

I have decided to leave getting the set of inch dumbbells to the following year and instead focus just on the gripper goals this year, of course with plate pinch goals to assist. With this decision i have instead bought some more plates, four 20kg disks and two 10kg disks. All bodypower standard olympic iron. The three 15kg will certainly take some effort due to the great width but am already thinking ahead to three 20kg. Hopefully can get the three 15kg and blob out the way pretty early next year then start working with the three 20kg. The best i have done in the past with three of steves 20's was a one finger and thumb assisted lift but not to lockout.

As for thickbar, will just keep doing the hangs as am upping bodyweight so should be tough anyway. May get 2.5 and 3" thickbars from work to save putting the fat gripz on and off every session.

3 20kg, one hand pinch lift? that, if successful, would be the greatest pinch feat of all time by far

3 20kg, one hand pinch lift? that, if successful, would be the greatest pinch feat of all time by far

Yeah it would be the best but i think york 35lb plates is even wider than bodypower so this is hard too. Anyone know the width of three 35lb york? I think both brian shaw and wade gillingham have said they have done this, they both have video with bar through at least. When you consider the big difference in width, although three 20kg would be 27lb heavier, it's probably only half the poundage in terms of difficulty and actually probably three wide 35lb is around 90% of the difficulty. Definately possible with enough focus.

One hand plate pinch

- to six 5kg (119mm) x 5 reps with one finger and thumb assist each hand

- Three 10kg (102mm) x 5 reps each hand

Two hand plate pinch in gloves

- Three 15kg (104mm) x 5

Grippers (right/left)

- HG400 ccs x 7/4

- HG400 20mm block x 7/4

- HG400 10mm block x 6/5

- HG400 5mm block x 12/6

3" thickbar thumbless hang solid bar

- bw (118.9kg) x 1 minute

Reverse curl thumbless

- 2.5" bar x 10

Unfortunately conditions were terrible for pinch today, the plates were damp and like a coat of butter had been put on them. Very hard to do six of the 5kg in these conditions so just did assisted reps. This often happens with these bodypower plates and they never hold very much chalk, just one of those things. The 10's had very sharp edge and wrecked skin on right hand.

Edited by Paul Savage

What is your hand size? I'd probably drop the bar if I went thumbless on 2.5 in.

Roughly 8.5 inch

Yeah have to squeeze it hard to not drop it

Paul, I totally forget to tell you about a member here who is Roman. He is young and is the only one besides Nathan Holle to close a GhP 9. Here is his video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZSrq-X35s&list=UUcc5ND79ik1AyQjVp9UOC1g&index=8

He did close the #4 easily and also inverted way.

This video is also great to watch doing pull ups at his bodyweight plus using IM pads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImVN6eI-6hg&list=UUcc5ND79ik1AyQjVp9UOC1g

That shows how strong his grip is

Paul, I totally forget to tell you about a member here who is Roman. He is young and is the only one besides Nathan Holle to close a GhP 9. Here is his video

He did close the #4 easily and also inverted way.

This video is also great to watch doing pull ups at his bodyweight plus using IM pads

That shows how strong his grip is

I think you mean Italian? Anyway, strong as hell this guy yes.

Yes am aware, kingofcrush channel. Strong mms work but is another one where i don't see much of anything ccs.

Just checked over his channel, tns on what i think is easy elite (not sure on rgc numbers though??) but no 3.5 ccs. Maybe he doesnt want to do ironmind certs.

I think maybe difference with some of these guys is that i struggle with the mms set on #4 level grippers and use bunch of grip on the set. When i fluked the set i got my hard #4 shut after 23 closes on easier #4's but usually i can never get proper set. Maybe this is why they seem to be higher mms than ccs or maybe overall hand strength difference or just bad ccs technique i don't know.

His elite tns was 171 which is a average rating for one but remember he is only my age 18-19 I believe. I'm sure he would have been able to ccs a #3.5 when he was in his prime for grippers

His elite tns was 171 which is a average rating for one but remember he is only my age 18-19 I believe. I'm sure he would have been able to ccs a #3.5 when he was in his prime for grippers

Crazy strength for that age. If that is average for elite i would guess he could ccs 3.5. I think many people have it in them to cert #4 with enough training. Hopefully they do in the future.

I really hope he gives it another go. Shame some people don't like publicising it or certing but we shall see!

Kirill Sarychev is who i would like to see train for it. Love to see him doing strongman, hopefully few years he does.