Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

October 10th 2011

Waist was 34" first thing in the morning, smallest in recent times. Weight was 103.5kg (came off creatine day after Cheshires).

Max effort upper body

viking press upto 135kg x 1 (missed second - terrible, this was way off today)

one arm dumbbell press upto 55kg x 3 L / 2 R (terrible again!) back down set of 35kg x max reps

assistance

- giant set dumbbell rear laterals followed by side laterals 10kg, 20kg plate raises and 30kg overhead extensions, 2 sets 30 seconds rest between

- 45 seconds rest then paused close grip bench press 80kg x 6 plus drop

cardio

- 5 minutes concept 2 rower half resistance, went easy, 900m distance

- 5 minutes heavy bag strikes, went hard, lay'd out afterwards

Think maybe i should drop the weight a bit and do multiple sets on the next ME pressing day, technique felt off on both exercises. Maybe it's because of the amount of recent leg work but didn't have the same amount of explosion in my legs when i did an easy triple at 130kg. The dumbbell press wasn't all that heavy, but because the dumbbell used was with metal plates, as I was trying to drive with the legs the dumbbell was rolling on my shoulder and this was causing my to struggle or miss, meant to do 4/4. Getting some tendon pain in my right arm after heavy bag work. Not the best results today but triceps f'd and that was the main idea.

Edited by Paul Savage

October 12th 2011

Max effort lower body

3 giant sets of standing calf raises, weighted abs and dumbbell side bends

box squat onto bench (high) upto 190kg x 5 (had more)

HG500 choked (roughly 20mm) to 2mm right, 4mm left, 3 max attempts e/h

sumo deadlift upto 200kg x 5 dead stop (had more) / back down set of 160kg x 16 t&g (belt came loose on the first so did it back up then did 15 touch and go)

towel grip hold 110kg x 52 seconds, 90kg x 50 seconds

kettlebell hold, start with it tilted inwards & wrists bent, stop time when it the bell goes straight, 8kg x 51 seconds, 4kg x 2 minutes 30 seconds

assistence - giant set, back, legs, wrists, thumbs

Leg strength seems to be coming back as it should, sumo deads felt pretty strong. Seems i need a bit more time to get the 500 choked, i tend to find choker work hard on grippers. Happy with the left though, will close it with both soon.

October 13th 2011

Dynamic upper body

4 sets rear delt machine, last 205lbs x 8, 45 seconds rest between

standing barbell press, strict, 40kg for 5 sets of 3 reps

standing plate press, strict, 20kg + bands for 5 sets of 3 reps

(30 seconds rest between sets)

assistence - chest, 28kg incline dumbbell press, palms facing, superset with 36kg flat dumbbell extension, 2 sets 45 seconds rest between

10 minutes stepper, interval setting, level 8

October 15th 2011

Dynamic effort lower body

weighted abs superset with dumbbell side bends 3 sets

lying leg raises 2 x ??

jumping squats 14kg dumbells for 5 sets of 3 reps superset with HG400 (deep set) for 5 sets of 2 reps e/h

deadlift 110kg for 5 sets of 2 reps

straight bar curls 3 sets light weight, lots of reps

smith calf raises upto 100kg x 15

seated calf stack x ?? plus 3 drops

5 minutes concept 2 rower (1323m) followed by 45 minute walk

Abs getting stronger, jumping squats felt good, would have liked the deads to be quicker.

October 18th 2011

Max effort lower body

30 minute walk to gym

reverse band squat (blues) upto 187kg x 5 (had more)

HG500 choked x 0,1,1 R 0,0,0 L (1/16th)

reverse band deadlift (blues) upto 267kg x 3 overhand grip (had more)

back down set straight weight 6in deficient 172kg x 11 (t&g)

assistance - giant set barbell shrugs (147kg x 20), seated long bar row, v-grip pulldowns, barbell lunges for 2 sets

frame hold on shrugs machine - stack plus 200lb in plates and green, blue, red band each side x 56 seconds

25kg block pinch x ??

30 minute walk back from the gym

Feeling good, farmer grip hold was far better than my brother this time (23 seconds), and the blues take off a lot less than the greens i previously have used so happy with deadlift. Last single on the right the the 500 was destroyed and overcrushed for 20 seconds.

Waist this morning (19th) was 36 5/8th's, weight was 102kg.

Edited by Paul Savage

October 18th 2011

Max effort lower body

30 minute walk to gym

reverse band squat (blues) upto 187kg x 5 (had more)

HG500 choked x 0,1,1 R 0,0,0 L (1/16th)

reverse band deadlift (blues) upto 267kg x 3 overhand grip (had more)

back down set straight weight 6in deficient 172kg x 11 (t&g)

assistance - giant set barbell shrugs (147kg x 20), seated long bar row, v-grip pulldowns, barbell lunges for 2 sets

frame hold on shrugs machine - stack plus 200lb in plates and green, blue, red band each side x 56 seconds

25kg block pinch x ??

30 minute walk back from the gym

Feeling good, farmer grip hold was far better than my brother this time (23 seconds), and the blues take off a lot less than the greens i previously have used so happy with deadlift. Last single on the right the the 500 was destroyed and overcrushed for 20 seconds.

Waist this morning (19th) was 36 5/8th's, weight was 102kg.

Good overall workout, how does the 500 compare to the #4?

Cheers. I don't know exactly, obviously it's not the same with the thick handles but for me like a #4 1/4, i have a #4 that's harder but is harder than the others. I remember Steve getting it to about 5mm but i can't remember how his grippers were going at the time. The last couple mm are tough, i was stuck at 1/8th of an inch for a long time before closing it, so happy with the progress. When i can close it no problems for multiple singles each hand i will see if i can get my harder 500 in a choker and see what i can do with that. It might break the choker though, remember it to be as hard as the bbpro i got off Sam. I know thick handles carry over well to thin handles for me so i figure if i can get my base strength at the close to well beyond 4.0 lvl using heavy choker work, i will have much less to do with the thin handles. Thus, (hopefully) no stalling of progress due to bruised palms.

October 20th 2011

Max effort upper body

seated side handle machine press upto 50kg 2 x 3 (very weak at this, maybe too tight, narrow lockout)

viking press (strict) upto 80kg 2 x 8

assistance:

incline dumbbell press palms facing 30kg x ?? superset with 37.5kg flat dumbbell extension x ??

plate raise 20kg x ?? superset with 10kg dumbbell laterals x ?? for 2 sets

paused close grip bench 80kg x 10 plus drop superset with 17.5kg GM's

500m row in 1:34 (legs beat to sh*t)

Weak today. Routine is gonna be a bit different now as far as the days, my brother went on holiday so had to adjust it. Will now be DE upper mondays, ME lower tuesdays, off wednesdays, ME upper thursdays, DE lower fridays, and weekends off.

October 21st 2011

Beat up pretty bad right now, really tough days in work this week and my legs have been sore/giving way since Tuesday.

jumping dumbbell squats 16kg's for 3 sets of 3 reps

barbell front squats 60kg for 3 sets of 2 reps

deadlift 100kg for 6 sets of 2 reps

assistance - calf machine with 3 drop's (start 295lb stack x 20) superset with curl machine 50+ reps (to help with tendon pain in right arm) for 2 sets

10 minutes stepper, 10 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes cross trainer

Deadlift was fast, squats were slow. No ab work today, core too shot. Glad to have a couple days off.

Cheers. I don't know exactly, obviously it's not the same with the thick handles but for me like a #4 1/4, i have a #4 that's harder but is harder than the others. I remember Steve getting it to about 5mm but i can't remember how his grippers were going at the time. The last couple mm are tough, i was stuck at 1/8th of an inch for a long time before closing it, so happy with the progress. When i can close it no problems for multiple singles each hand i will see if i can get my harder 500 in a choker and see what i can do with that. It might break the choker though, remember it to be as hard as the bbpro i got off Sam. I know thick handles carry over well to thin handles for me so i figure if i can get my base strength at the close to well beyond 4.0 lvl using heavy choker work, i will have much less to do with the thin handles. Thus, (hopefully) no stalling of progress due to bruised palms.

October 20th 2011

Max effort upper body

seated side handle machine press upto 50kg 2 x 3 (very weak at this, maybe too tight, narrow lockout)

viking press (strict) upto 80kg 2 x 8

assistance:

incline dumbbell press palms facing 30kg x ?? superset with 37.5kg flat dumbbell extension x ??

plate raise 20kg x ?? superset with 10kg dumbbell laterals x ?? for 2 sets

paused close grip bench 80kg x 10 plus drop superset with 17.5kg GM's

500m row in 1:34 (legs beat to sh*t)

Weak today. Routine is gonna be a bit different now as far as the days, my brother went on holiday so had to adjust it. Will now be DE upper mondays, ME lower tuesdays, off wednesdays, ME upper thursdays, DE lower fridays, and weekends off.

Whew your doing some things. So your harder HG 500 is near a BB pro, that would be something as I haven't heard the BB Pro being shut yet :ninja: Keep going

As far as i remember it was similar as far as the resistance, is the hardest of 4 HG500's i have tried. I would start it choked to 10mm or something like that. Hopefully i can get my easier 500 left and right hand tomorrow, my grip is not fresh due to hard days in work but will see what happens.

October 24th 2011

Dynamic effort upper body

walk to gym

seated calf raise 3 sets

calf raise on leg press 2 sets

viking press strict half stack for 5 sets of 3 reps

zavickas plate press 40kg for 5 sets of 3 reps

assistance:

incline dumbbell press palms facing 35kg x 8 superset with 50kg flat dumbbell extension x ??

dumbbell bench press palms facing 35kg x 10 superset with 50kg flat dumbbell extension x ??

fly machine x ??

walk back from gym

No hard cardio today with ME lower body tomorrow. I was thinking it was the week after but is time to start events next week so will be changing things up again right away. Plan is mondays = off tuesdays = events wednesdays = off thursdays = off fridays = DE saturdays = cardio sundays = off. Meaning two days off before events, and two days off after events. Both myself and my brother being drug free, were not going to recover as well as others, and especially with my day job basically being strongman lifting all day long, i have to watch out for injuries. The dynamic effort work will all be put on the one day instead of upper/lower, and the cardio is going to be tougher.

October 25th 2011

bodyweight upon waking = 101kg waist was 33 3/8"

Max effort lower body

giant set of weighted decline crunch, dumbbell side bends and lying leg raise for 2 sets

box squat (high) upto 205kg x 5 (had more)

snatch grip deadlift upto 220kg x 3 (had more)

back down set sumo 185kg x 12 touch and go

assistance:

power shrugs upto 205kg x 15

underhand grip bent over rows upto 105kg x 15

one arm row gripping 2" bar end 6 10kg plates x 6 plus 2 drops each hand

grip:

farmers hold on machine, stack plus 190lbs and green + blue bands for 1 minute 14 seconds superset with wide block pinch for 1 minute 3 seconds

plate wrist curl 20kg x ?? plus 2 drops

Another good session. Did try the 500 but wasn't happening today. 220 wasn't all that heavy to lift from a to b on the snatch grip deads, i wouldn't be surprised if i could lift 250, but the lockouts were tough and i wasn't looking for a hitch fest so just did 3 at that. The farmers hold was probably slightly lighter than last time but not much as last time we did use the red bands as well as 10lb more weight but the dumbbell we attached them to were too light and were lifting up so the bands were not stretched as much. This weight was draging me to the ground so must be fairly heavy. Mick did 34 seconds.

Some clips from the last couple weeks..

Couple more put on but wont let me add them.

Edited by Paul Savage

October 27th 2011

Max effort upper body

25kg barbell curl 21's two sets

12.5kg dumbbell concentration curl two sets x ??

15kg dumbbell hammer curl x ??

viking press against bands

- upto 90kg x 5

- 95kg x 5

- 100kg stack x 4 (smashed the thing into the bottom by mistake and then couldn't finish it)

z plate press upto 60kg x 3,3,4 (miss grip'd the plates every set and this was murder on my back)

one arm dumbbell press back downs set 37.5kg x ??/??

assistance:

- side lateral machine 3 drop set

- plate raise 15kg x ?? drop 10kg x ??

- close grip bench skull crusher combo to finish

cardio

- 10 minutes bike random hills lvl12-14

- 10 minutes treadmil 12.5 incline 6.0 speed

- walk back from gym

October 28th 2011

dynamic lower body

seated calf raises superset standing calf raises for 2 sets

giant set decline crunches x ??, dumbbell side bends x ??, lying leg raises x ??

paused front squat 70kg for 5 sets of 3 reps

deadlift 120kg for 5 sets of 2 reps

walk back from gym

Fast enough today, super tight in upper back/traps, can hardly lift my arms above head (no idea how i did better than last time on viking).

Measured my waist at 33" couple morning back, 11" down from my heaviest bodyweight. Having to wait till friday to do events so doing DE upper and ME lower same as last week.

October 31st 2011

Dynamic effort upper body

walk to gym

seated calf raise upto two 20kg plates x 12 reps holding at the top

standing calf raise, two sets, last with a drop

viking press strict for 8 sets of 3 reps with 30 seconds rest between (not sure of weight but good speed)

assistance:

- incline dumbbell press palms facing 34kg x 10

- decline barbell press paused 105kg+ x 6 with drop

- incline dumbbell flys 19kg x 12

walk back from gym

Felt strong but my back got hurt from doing that z plate press the other day. I think it's because i get so tight in the upper back so it put a lot of pressure on my back to lockout. Feels like my spine is bruised or something. Hopefully will be ok to lift tomorrow.

November 1st 2011

Max effort lower body

one heavy set decline abs & two sets lying leg raise variation

rack 1/2 squat upto 275kg x 5 (too light but left it at that)

reverse band deadlifts against green bands upto 300kg x 3 (hitch fest but could have got another)

back down set 6 inch deficient deadlift 200kg x 9 (too light to get 9, went slow to save energy but did not work out too well)

grippers (between sets of squats)

- HG500 choked 4 x 1 R 0,1,1,0 L

- IM #4 (easy one) x 4,3,2,1 R (wider reps each set, last ccs width) 0,1,1,1 L (miss was due to bad positioning, this was easy)

assistance:

- power shrugs upto 240kg x 20

- lat pulldowns ?? x ??

- superset of lying leg curls & long bar rows for 3 sets

- ez machine curl drop set

Repping a CoC #4.. :blink Crazy strenght right there, with such wide set.

Great job..

Cheers bro.

November 3rd 2011

Have pulled out of the comp now so instead of event training am going to keep going with the gym work and hopefully get some big PB's by the years end. As for the any changes to routine, not much, am still going to cut the days down to 3 a week as plan'd. Instead of events i will keep ME lower body on Tuesdays, with DE lower body on Fridays (along with cardio). For pressing, that is going to change, going to cut it down to once a week and do more bodybuilding style workouts, at least for the time being. Things can get a little stale mentally so it's good to mix some things up. Hopefully i can get average #4 credit card set goal before the years end. Would like to credit card set close my easy #4 left handed and deep set close the 500 i am using in a choker at the moment too. Left hand is feeling good.

---rest between sets 45-60 seconds---

decline bench press

>paused narrow grip<

- upto 105kg for 5 sets of 2 reps (easy - just did this because my brother wanted to work his bench heavy)

>medium grip<

- 90kg x 15 (controlled negatives)

dumbbell bench press 30kg x ?? superset with 50kg flat dumbbell extensions x ?? for 2 sets (palms facing 1st set)

shoulder press machine side grip x two 3 drop sets

side delt machine x two 4 drop sets

giant set overhead cable extensions, v-grip pushdowns, dip machine for two sets, last with 3 drops

Pretty ridiculous pump.

November 4th 2011

calf machine upto 305lbs x ?? plus 3 drops

leg press calf raises 2 sets 10-12

curl machine upto 140lbs x ?? plus 2 drops

cable rear delts 3 sets 10-12

paused back squat 80kg for 6 sets of 3 reps

deadlift 120kg for 8 sets of 2 reps

walk back from gym

Bit slow, especially the squats. Beat up.

November 7th 2011

Waist 32 7/8" first thing this morning.

medium grip decline bench press on smith machine

- upto 2.5 plates each side x 10

- 3 plates each side x 5 plus two drops

wide grip bench press on smith machine upto 1.5 plates each side x 10

behind neck press on smith machine 1 plate each side 2 x ??

giant set dumbbell laterals, reverse grip front raise, overhead straight bar extensions for two sets

Felt good to go so i didnt want to waste time when it's not needed. Seems once a week is not enough for me with pressing, will do it again thursday and take it from there. I think it's important to listen to your body and make adjustments as you go along, too many people do a set routine week in week out and don't listen to there body.

November 8th 2011

Max effort lower body

seated calf raises superset with standing calf raises for 3 sets

box squats (high) upto 220kg x 3

low rack pull against blue bands upto 230kg x 4

sumo deadlift back down set 200kg x 8 (messed up the stance/grip, can do more)

grippers (inbetween sets of squats)

- HG500 choked 3 x 1 each hand

- COC#4 (easy one) 3 x 1 ccs, then 5 paused reps medium set R

- COC#4 (easy one) 3 x 1 medium paused set, BC500 x ?? paused reps L

assistence:

- 25kg blockweight pinching, 3" wide, loads of snatches then two finger high pulls and holds to finish (felt strong on this)

- giant set plate wrist curl 25kg, drop 15kg, drop 10kg x ?? followed by thumb screw x ?? followed by extensors x ??

- barbell curls 3 sets

- hammer curls 20kg x a lot

- standing leg curl 3 drop set superset with long bar row 3 drop set

Although all easy, i didnt manage to get even one good video of a ccs close, with the 1st one it's hard to see the handles without pausing it and looking very close, the second one has weird swadowing on it so does not look shut even though it is, and with the 3rd one you can clearly see the handles are shut (overcrushed) but it's goes out of shot as i insert the card. Had to upload the 1st / will get a better vid next time i do it. Happy with 3 paused set closes left, is a PB paused set, so is 5 reps right, have not done that paused. This may seem strong and my strength was good overall but was actually weaker than i was on grippers a couple weeks back. My hands are getting a little overtrained/overworked so will do light grippers for the next couple workouts.

Wont let me post the 3rd vid - some clips of the main lifts uploaded also.

Forgot to add i did thickbar hold drop sets gripping the end of the bar with it setup in the rack.

I've just read your log very carefully, strong work. How did you start into grip? You have crazy handstrength, maybe one of the strongest around maybe here...

especially with the other work you are doing, combined with grip. It all comes together quite nicely!

Edited by Geralt

November 8th 2011

Max effort lower body

seated calf raises superset with standing calf raises for 3 sets

box squats (high) upto 220kg x 3

low rack pull against blue bands upto 230kg x 4

sumo deadlift back down set 200kg x 8 (messed up the stance/grip, can do more)

grippers (inbetween sets of squats)

- HG500 choked 3 x 1 each hand

- COC#4 (easy one) 3 x 1 ccs, then 5 paused reps medium set R

- COC#4 (easy one) 3 x 1 medium paused set, BC500 x ?? paused reps L

assistence:

- 25kg blockweight pinching, 3" wide, loads of snatches then two finger high pulls and holds to finish (felt strong on this)

- giant set plate wrist curl 25kg, drop 15kg, drop 10kg x ?? followed by thumb screw x ?? followed by extensors x ??

- barbell curls 3 sets

- hammer curls 20kg x a lot

- standing leg curl 3 drop set superset with long bar row 3 drop set

Although all easy, i didnt manage to get even one good video of a ccs close, with the 1st one it's hard to see the handles without pausing it and looking very close, the second one has weird swadowing on it so does not look shut even though it is, and with the 3rd one you can clearly see the handles are shut (overcrushed) but it's goes out of shot as i insert the card. Had to upload the 1st / will get a better vid next time i do it. Happy with 3 paused set closes left, is a PB paused set, so is 5 reps right, have not done that paused. This may seem strong and my strength was good overall but was actually weaker than i was on grippers a couple weeks back. My hands are getting a little overtrained/overworked so will do light grippers for the next couple workouts.

Wont let me post the 3rd vid - some clips of the main lifts uploaded also.

Congrats on CCS Easy #4 and closes with HG 500...you gonna test on a parallel set with that HG 500?

Cheers guys. No plans to do set closes with the easier 500 as yet, just to start choked work on the harder one when my left is a bit stronger. I first got involved in grip when i was handed a coc#1 gripper by a college buddy over 6 years ago, i didn't manage to close it but things took off from there. Yes not just grip but overall training is going very well right now but at the same time it is very tough. In order to keep this pace up and not get injured i am having to take contrast baths 1-2 time a day and do a lot of foam rolling on solid carpet tubes (this HURTS) along with a lot of stretching. Work is full on this time of year.

November 10th 2011

(45 seconds rest between sets)

dumbbell bench press palms facing 37.5kg x 10

bench press medium narrow grip 60kg 2 x ??

incline dumbbell flys 20kg 2 x 10

side lateral machine 3 drop set

seated press machine palms facing stack x 6 plus two drops

giant set overhead cable extension, v-grip pushdowns, dip machine, bodyweight dips

November 11th 2011

3 sets weighted ab machine superset with dumbbell side bends

paused back squat 80kg for 5 sets of 3 reps

deadlift 120kg for 5 sets of 2 reps

calf raises on leg press superset with curl machine for 3 sets

treadmill inclined for 15 minutes, ran the last 5

Deadlifts felt good, squats again felt terrible but better than last time i think. Strong on abs and running on incline treadmil was much easier than i thought it would be considering i only rest 45 seconds between sets on the weights.