Suggestions to increase hand strength for Arm Wrestling

Guest hondo1

Guest hondo1

Does anybody have any suggestions for increasing hand strength for Arm Wrestling? Or maybe some training routines that you have used in the past?

#Moderation Mode

This was moved from the Training Routines forum.

I haven't trained specifically for armwrestling in 20 years, but when I was training, I found the best for me was table work -- actual pulling. Problem was, it took a lot out of me and I could only pull 1/week maximum.

I do work w/ IronMind's Heavy Hammer leverage bar, and I find the workout I get from this to be remarkably close to actual pulling. I do front and back lever movements, and the best one for armwrestling IMO is lying on your side with your arm outstreched at ~ 90 deg palm up, and simply lever the bar up.

I have found hammer curls and surgical cable work to be helpful also.

Good luck in your pulling.

Guest CanadaCrush

It depends on how you pull at the table. Hammer curls are instrumental for backpressure. CoC's help strengthen the fingers against an outside attack, as do thick dumbells. I believe the latter would be more usefull for armwrestling, although I've just started to experiment with it. Bent rows with a thick handled dumbell not only simulate someone ripping your fingers out in a top, but also give your lats plenty of work for the hook as well. The usual wrist curls and reverse curls and things of that nature are also helpful. ML67 is right though, IMO nothing beats actual table time.

-Mark