• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Schweinemann

• jad

• Eric Roussin

• Florian Kellersmann

I'm with Eric here. Mike is very big and strong these days, met him in Germany in April... Although he won his supermatch there very good I think Devon will find his "weaknesses". Mike will shoot for straps each match I think.

0-6 Devon

I think Mike's Hand is too weak to control Devon in any position. He will slip, so straps will be applied 6 times. Devon will try to toproll Mike and once in position he might switch into the press, like he did against Ron Bath. Devon might also had a look at voevoda beating Todd - A High hook with good rotator control might work well.

I know all that, because i can foresee the future. And if i'am wrong it's due to CIA manipulation conspiracy :cool

Edited by Schweinemann

Right now I'd be surprised if Michael Todd gets a win. But I've seen tons of surprising things in my time in armwrestling, so Michael Todd could very well get the win.

This match up is also interesting because both Devon and Michael train very differently. Michael puts in a lot of time at the gym, and from what I understand gets relatively little table time. Devon on the other hand puts a tremendous emphasis on table time. He actually armwrestles on a table almost every single day, often several times a day. We were discussing this in practice the other day and he believes he may have spent more time on an armwrestling table than any other person in history. Impossible to know, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the case.

Eric, who is training with Devon so often at the table? Does Devon has some plan for his table training (f. e. one day hook, one day toproll) or something like that?

The Ottawa team has about 25 members. Devon officially holds three practice sessions per week these days, and there are always at least 5-6 guys who attend. Plus, he has a table on hand at work and he always manages to find people to pull with. Mostly two hand stuff.

I realize he's Devon Larratt but how do you guys practice 3x week? Are these submax practices or are they the 3 hour balls-to-the-wall typical AW practice (at least any big practice that I've been to)?

Thanks!

Our practices are very slow and controlled. The stronger guy holds. Only Devon is attedning every practice. Most other guys only attend once per week. Different guys attend different practices.

That is really interesting. We all know that Devon is on the table quite often, but everyday is really amazing. Even at submax effort, how can his arms recover? His tendons and bones must be like steel. Despite all the table time, how much does he work in the gym? In his videos he talks a lot about gym time and special excercises, how can he manage all that?

Can you give us a more detailed insight on your high Hooker workouts - Eric?

I know Devon could explain his training much better than I can, but here's what I can say. Devon has admitted his body is perpetually in a state of overtraining. He feels that if you want to become really good at something, you need to do it over and over and over again. Hence, he puts so much emphasis on table time. He once told me he sees it a bit like long distance running. The best runners run almost every day, and log many kilometers each week. Eventually, your body adapts to this type of training, and when you stop before an event and give your body time to fully recover, you show up in peak form.

Devon is known to regularly switch up his training. Earlier this year he was training more like Michael Todd -- extremely high reps. He will also go through stretches where he just does heavy singles.

He has always been very active. He grew up on a farm and did a lot of manual labour. Growing up he played a lot of basketball, did judo, and armwrestled. So his body has always been used to a lot of physical exertion.

When he was in his early 20s, I remember he said he was working out 4 times a day, in sessions of 30 to 90 minutes each. This was in addition to the physical activity he got from work. He was consuming over 10,000 calories per day. Nowadays I know he doesn't train as much (much less than ~4 hours a day), but everything is geared for armwrestling.

When he was in his early 20s, I remember he said he was working out 4 times a day, in sessions of 30 to 90 minutes each. This was in addition to the physical activity he got from work. He was consuming over 10,000 calories per day. Nowadays I know he doesn't train as much (much less than ~4 hours a day), but everything is geared for armwrestling.

Wow! :bow:whacked

Re: Devon being in a constant state of overtraining: does he get noticeably weaker? I've tried the train through it thing in the past and what generally makes me stop is I start barely being able to beat our 154# (fresh for fresh at the practice in question). Normally, I can just hold him with hand control and watch the ball game behind him on the tv. You can get used to the pain but when performance starts drastically dropping, that's where I get concerned. Is this to be expected or am I just screwing something up?

Thanks,

Josh

Edited by jad

He doesn't seem to get noticeably weaker. I really don't know exactly how his body can handle it. I know that I can't personally train the way he does. If you'd like to contact him directly, shoot me a PM and I'll send you his email address.

Thanks, I would like his email when you get time and I'll wait a while before contacting him given his big match with Mike and all.

Well, that sounds borderline insane to me. Ok, i used to play basketball too, but i could never handle armwrestling everyday. Training 4 times a day would bring me to the point of total collapse, no matter how high the calories intake would be. Not to mention i would lose all the interest in the sport and getting ill after some weeks due to permanent overtraining. He obviously is a genetical superfreak or his muscles are kinda different than to those of ordinary people.

Edited by Schweinemann

I certainly agree that he's a genetic freak. However, I should specify that back when he was training 4 times a day, it wasn't just for armwrestling. It was full body, overall conditioning. He also didn't get as much table time back then. Over the years, his focus switched to more and more table time, and less gym work. His gym workouts are to help him get ready for his table time.

Devon's done some insane stuff cardio-wise as well. While training for some type of Ironman event about ten years ago (not a true Ironman, but something bigger than a marathon) he got to a point for a brief period where he was on the treadmill for 7-8 hours straight. He admitted that pushing himself like that probably was not the best idea. I think there were 200 competitors in the event and he finished first by a margin of over 20 minutes.

At one point he was also able to do push-ups pretty much indefinitely. He once made a bet with his friends (who were fit) that he could do 10 times as many push-ups as the best one of them. One guy proceeded to do 140, so Devon did 1,400 of them.

I have never known anyone with anything close to his combination of strength and endurance. He reminds of a real-life Ivan Drago.

Edited by Eric Roussin

I read that push up story a while ago on the NE board. To me it is crazy. To have such a combination of endurance and power is very unique. And still, 4 work outs a day - even full body - is crazy.

I would never get out of the bed next morning or would be injured in no time. :cry

Thanks for sharing this info. I know why I'm a Devon fan :mosher I like freaks :rock

Eric: 1400 push-ups? Were you there?

1400 push-ups without getting out of the "plank" possition? Wtf? This sounds unbelievable.