Who Has The Copyright On The Dumbbell Inch And Dumbbell Millennium?

Kashtan

Who has the copyright on the dumbbell Inch and dumbbell Millennium?

I noticed that a lot of companies that manufacture power equipment, used these words in their products.

Do it for someone to take permission?

The Inch - no one. Thomas Inch is long since dead. It could be argued that his relatives do. Hence why such replicas are usually called 'Inch Replicas'.

The Millennium - myself and Alan Radley. Any dumbbell which is not of the original seven 228lb versions or the one off Alan had made (the so-called Millennium trainer, now owned by Laine Snook) which is called a 'Millennium Dumbbell' we will advise said makers to change the name. I have already had to do this with a lighter bell named the same by Glenn 'whose the daddy!' Ross. His only weighed 90kg or so. His became, I believe, the 'Daddy' dumbbell. I pointed out that the Millennium dumbbell not only weighed considerably more but was well-known and had been around for some time when he decided to name his.

Equally bells which have been made to replicate the Millennium's dimensions, such as the 1 or 2 made by the Holle brothers, are 'Millennium replicas'. One example was made again for Laine and came in at 231lbs (so just 3 pounds over).

There is nothing to stop anyone having made a globe style dumbbell with the same size handles, length, globe circumference and the like of ANY well known old fashioned in appearance dumbbell. However, as you might hazard a guess, said original versions are worth something - historically and in cash - over a copy. Rumor had it that the original Inch, now owned by Kim Wood, went for some thousands of dollars (I heard $5,000 although Kim denies this). Hence, any attempt to pass off a modern version as being an original is wrong. Equally if someone has the wherewithal etc to put together an original thought (dumbbell, book, film and so on) it is wrong to copy it without ensuring others know it's a copy. Why not merely create something a little lighter or a little heavier and call it an original name?

Edited by mobsterone
  • Like 1

Hi Steve, did the Holle made a real replica of the Millenium? I only know their "heavy" version of a dummbell like their Inch replica (same handle but heavier weight). I think besides the Holles, Chris James and Laine have one, also there are two in Germany to my knowledge. The Millenium has a different handle as far as I know (longer, knurling).

A good question. The one Laine brought our gym during one of his attempts (he was successful later) looked about identical. I have photos but they are on my old and still in need of repair hard drive so cannot look and compare them now.

Thanks Steve, maybe they made both types... Chris or Laine, if they read this, may clarify this...

I wonder how much protection in court one would actually be afforded over dumbbell templates? Afterall, whilst the details matter to us there isn't actually much difference between most of the globe dumbbells, certainly not enough to call it a "demonstrable improvement" or however such things are termed.

Steve, you've obviously been involved in this - what have the experts said?

I believe I covered it above. That said I think your thinking of patent rather than copyright. It's be name over function etc.

Not to mention it'd be a dick move for someone to use the name Millenium (no reference to Glenn Ross since he probably wasn't aware of that name already) if they already knew it was attributed to the dumbbell. Since I'm much weaker than Steve I will start referring to my Inch Trainer as the "Mini Me-linnium Dumbbell." :D It weighs whatever I want it to on that particular day.

The handles for the Millennium's had knurl but, at least with my copy, it was more or less removed or covered in the pour for the dumbbell globes. As an aside, baring in mind Chris's reply, it had been Alan Radley's to make a dumbbell of similar dimensions to the one reportedly 'thrown over a low wall' by Apollon. However, no dimensions were ever given. Also, in those days, what might be called a dumbbell and barbell was interchangeable. This can be seen in the handful of 'bells which survive. Some have short handles and look like a modern day 'bell, others are almost 4 feet long. I have one such bell here at my house which is close to 2 feet long but weighs 117 or so pounds.

Also, again due to the lack actual dimensions (although the weight was given as about 231lbs) Aland had to use maths etc to work out what size the handle, globes and so on might be. For a very long time I gave the MDB as being 231lbs but this was because I used house scales. The far more accurate scales we no use gave it's true weight of 228lbs.

As an aside I recently lifted it with no chalk and zero warm up. It used to be the case it would take weeks to work up to.

Yes Big Steve your quite correct. The original that Apollon nearly snatched was best drscribed as a revolving short barbell. Great lifting with the Millenium

• 8 months later...

Thanks Steve, maybe they made both types... Chris or Laine, if they read this, may clarify this...

Hi,

My Millennium copy, made by the Holle's weighs 231lbs. It has no knurling on it. The handle dimensions are the same as the Original Millennium.

Laine

Cost aside (if that's even possible) do you plan on making the Millenium a heavier Brother at any point in the future?

Hi,

I have a heavier globe dumbbell than the Millennium copy that I own. It has the same handle dimensions as the Inch dumbbell and weighs 278lbs. I named it the "Snookenstein" as it is a monster of a dumbbell! - It was also made by the Holle's. The last thing that they made me was an exact replica of Apollon's wheels - they got all the dimensions from Randall, who measured them whilst he and his wife were in Paris some years ago.

If you want pictures, please let me know.

Laine

• Like 1

This is very interesting Laine, you can give a photo? And "Snookenstein" and exact replica of Apollon's wheels. What are their exact size, diameter and length of the handle, there is knurl and so on.

• 2 months later...

I have a question about Millennium Dumbbell:

A. Why is it so called? Is it because that is created at the turn of the millennia? In 2000?

Two. When they were created?

Three. Who are the originals, except Gardener, Snook, Kim Wood, Radley?

4. This dumbbell-size is very similar in size (226 pounds or 102 k) dumbbell John Grun Marx, who drew it up to the knees, and Louis Uni Apollo tossed to the level of the neck and smashed on the ground. It's by accident or by design is the similarity?

Five. Who deadlifted this dumbbell? I only found: Gardener, Snook, Henry (do not know whether there was a successful attempt), Haugen, Durnet (perhaps?), John Wood (holding 25 seconds!), Chris James (perhaps?). Felix tried twice to no avail. Who else?

Edited by Kashtan

A. Why is it so called? Is it because that is created at the turn of the millennia? In 2000?

4. This dumbbell-size is very similar in size (226 pounds or 102 k) dumbbell John Grun Marx, who drew it up to the knees, and Louis Uni Apollo tossed to the level of the neck and smashed on the ground. It's by accident or by design is the similarity?

Five. Who deadlifted this dumbbell? I only found: Gardener, Snook, Henry (do not know whether there was a successful attempt), Haugen, Durnet (perhaps?), John Wood (holding 25 seconds!), Chris James (perhaps?). Felix tried twice to no avail. Who else?

^^^ That looks more like fictional hand strength than factual events :whistel

That would make him the very strongest thick bar lifter in the world, how come he's not out kicking everyone's ass at mighty mitts? Is this like how Kim wood doesn't know the difference between the 173 inch and the MDB and interchangeably uses the words on them?

• Like 1

^^^ That looks more like fictional hand strength than factual events :whistel

That would make him the very strongest thick bar lifter in the world, how come he's not out kicking everyone's ass at mighty mitts? Is this like how Kim wood doesn't know the difference between the 173 inch and the MDB and interchangeably uses the words on them?

Kim Wood also has on at least two occasions stated that his bengal players aka the weakest and slowest team in NFL history (11 consecutive losing seasons) TNS closed the #3 and the #4 "regularly". Buwahahhaha just keep in mind the source: fictional hand strength. The way Kim talks you'd think he has both hands and thumbs full of superbowel rings and has had to start putting two rings on some fingers. Tell you the truth I don't see why he ever even bought the original Thomas Inch DB= he can't lift it and I doubt John can either. My conclusion is that he has the Thomas Inch DB to prevent other men from lifting it as it collects dust and rust in his house.

Back onto the thread topic: is the MDB the heaviest DB ever lifted?

• Like 1

Let's try to stay on topic. We've stressed this before with Sam Scott topics, but we don't want to see rants or bashing against anyone. Please keep criticism constructive and respectful.

Let's try to stay on topic. We've stressed this before with Sam Scott topics, but we don't want to see rants or bashing against anyone. Please keep criticism constructive and respectful.

I'm not trying to get the flame war, but I will contest the claim of a full lift and hold for 25 seconds, this is the telephone game. Someone claims something, then it gets passed around and gets more and more spectacular, soon it is a "fact". If the topic is about the MDB/who has lifted it/is that the heaviest lift I would like to see accuracy on the list otherwise there is no point to it. This is not like who has closed a #3 and anyone can throw out a name without a problem. This is a pinnacle of human strength level feat and it does matter if some there are false claims about it.

• Like 4

Here's the picture that includes the 25 second claim:

http://www.cyberpump...IronHistory/aav

Ok that is cool, sitting the bell on your leg for a hold is definitely the same thing as a lift. I must now exclude myself from further discussion on this.

I'm not trying to get the flame war, but I will contest the claim of a full lift and hold for 25 seconds, this is the telephone game. Someone claims something, then it gets passed around and gets more and more spectacular, soon it is a "fact". If the topic is about the MDB/who has lifted it/is that the heaviest lift I would like to see accuracy on the list otherwise there is no point to it. This is not like who has closed a #3 and anyone can throw out a name without a problem. This is a pinnacle of human strength level feat and it does matter if some there are false claims about it.

I agree with everything you've said here and you said it well.