Hand Size

climber511

It should be emphasised that Tommy never made any proclamations regarding what he was going to lift on the Europinch. Others did it for him.

Actually truth eb told he did come on the board one time and make a call of being the first to pinch 300-lbs.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• jad

• Mike Rinderle

• daniel reinard

It should be emphasised that Tommy never made any proclamations regarding what he was going to lift on the Europinch. Others did it for him.

Actually truth eb told he did come on the board one time and make a call of being the first to pinch 300-lbs.

Big Steve told me at the first BBB that him and Tommy were racing to 300#

Big Steve told me at the first BBB that him and Tommy were racing to 300#

That is funny. Steve hasn't done a Grip comp since 2004, has he? How much did Steve Pinch at that comp (ball-park)?

There was no 2HP contested but I believe he won every event at the contest. Closest thing to a 2HP would have been the plate hula with 25's. I think he went over to Europe shortly thereafter and I don't think he won the 2HP over there.

I have been in the record book already mate. I held the WR in the 1'' LGC vbar lift total (left and right) for about a year. Over the last decade my weight has fluctuated between 75-95k and I could easily bring it up or down within that range. I was 76k a year ago. David made the call and if anyone of us has the legitimacy to set the rules then it would be him given his involvment in getting grip going as a sport. It is disrespectful to ignore his call. You guys may do it but I will not.

Chris,

The 82.5k class, referred to as the light heavyweight class, was used for 72 years in Olympic Lifting.

If I was short, thin and naturally weighed 81kg, I would be all in favor of 82.5 as a limit myself as that would put me at a decided advantage when it came to getting my name in the record books. I'm just wondering Mikael, if you were taller and had a natural weight of say 91kg if you would be so gungho about the 82.5 number. While you didn't make the decision, you certainly seem to be it's biggest proponent.

I have no bias one way or the other on where the cutoff is. At just over 6'3" and fairly heavily muscled for an old man, I'd have to cut off a leg or get AIDS to have a shot at getting anywhere near 82.5. It just seems from seeing how enthusiastically you defend the 82.5 number, you might have a vested interest in keeping it there. When I found out that you weighed around 81kg, I totally get it now.

I'm going to have to loose some muscle weight to get down to the 207lb cuto5f for gripmas, but it should be fun to dunk a basketball in my mid 40s again. It's been about 10 years since I pulled that off.

Yikes, well I stand corrected there as well.

I have been in the record book already mate. I held the WR in the 1'' LGC vbar lift total (left and right) for about a year. Over the last decade my weight has fluctuated between 75-95k and I could easily bring it up or down within that range. I was 76k a year ago. David made the call and if anyone of us has the legitimacy to set the rules then it would be him given his involvment in getting grip going as a sport. It is disrespectful to ignore his call. You guys may do it but I will not.

Chris,

The 82.5k class, referred to as the light heavyweight class, was used for 72 years in Olympic Lifting.

If I was short, thin and naturally weighed 81kg, I would be all in favor of 82.5 as a limit myself as that would put me at a decided advantage when it came to getting my name in the record books. I'm just wondering Mikael, if you were taller and had a natural weight of say 91kg if you would be so gungho about the 82.5 number. While you didn't make the decision, you certainly seem to be it's biggest proponent.

I have no bias one way or the other on where the cutoff is. At just over 6'3" and fairly heavily muscled for an old man, I'd have to cut off a leg or get AIDS to have a shot at getting anywhere near 82.5. It just seems from seeing how enthusiastically you defend the 82.5 number, you might have a vested interest in keeping it there. When I found out that you weighed around 81kg, I totally get it now.

I'm going to have to loose some muscle weight to get down to the 207lb cuto5f for gripmas, but it should be fun to dunk a basketball in my mid 40s again. It's been about 10 years since I pulled that off.

I've only played around with the FBBC 1" v-bar a little. Is the LGC bar similar?

And nobody is trying to disrespect David. David and I get along very well. You'll see my name at or near the top of many of his bending lists (since we're aparently bragging here, what with your former world record and all) and we email quite a bit. Also, nobody is saying 82.5 isn't a good number one way or the other. I was merely stating a fact that it is perfectly tailored for a little guy like yourself.

Most find the 25mm LGC bar slightly harder, presumably because it is slightly thinner (25 vs 25.4mm).

I've only played around with the FBBC 1" v-bar a little. Is the LGC bar similar?

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Most find the 25mm LGC bar slightly harder, presumably because it is slightly thinner (25 vs 25.4mm).

Thanks Mikael. Hopefully someday I'll get my hands on one and see how it goes. My best right and left total on the FBBC bar is only 651 lbs. After Nationals, I'd like to get that up to more respectable 700 or so. Good luck with your training.

Yes 700lb is a respectable number. I got 703lbs when I broke the total WR in 2006 but I had to train like an absolute animal to get it. Trained it once every six days, working up to a max with singles followed by 5x3 reps. The week before the contest I was doing 5x3 with 150k. Easily the hardest thing I have done in a strength sport.

Mike,

I know that there are some LGC replica bars kicking around the states. I think ben edwards might have one???? I bet you can find someone who would be willing to loan/sell it.

jedd or chris might have one as well. maybe do a post in the ggc thread and see if you can't save the shipping.

I agree. Perhaps 2 Kilo difference. When you first touch the LGC, it feels a bit more "painful", for lack of a better word. Then, after the initial first rep, it settles in and is just a touch more difficult.

I agree. Perhaps 2 Kilo difference. When you first touch the LGC, it feels a bit more "painful", for lack of a better word. Then, after the initial first rep, it settles in and is just a touch more difficult.

Thanks Mike! How much have you pulled on an LGC? Your best on an FBBC is around 320 isn't it?

• 8 months later...

I believe hand size is a huge factor in most feats of grip strength and weight is further down on the list.

What made Joe K & Tommy H so special? Wasn't weight. Was it their hand size? Genetic freaks of nature? They trained harder then anyone else?

Maybe all of those.

What makes this sport so great is that there are a lot of different events to specialize in.

I have small hands, probably the smallest here on the Board, yet I seem to excel in hub lifts and pinch gripping. I am terrible at blobs, RT, or any sort

of thick bar device. But science would tell you that anyway. Less surface area. less leverage.

Weight seems to matter very little when it comes to grippers. Some of the guys who mashed the #3.5 or #4 have been huge in every aspect, others were under

200 pounds. I think the ratio is about 50/50.

Same cannot be said about powerlifting where weight matters. How many people under 200 lbs have benched 600+ raw? Yeah, nobody.

In the sport of grip there are just too many different events going on to determine what body type will make things fair.

Will a 200 powerlifter ever be able to keep up with the SHW's raw numbers? Nope. Records will indicate that.

But in the world of grip, 200 pounders have a closer gap to the things the big guys do. And sometimes even surpass them. Some of the strongest

grip guys in the world have been very lean.

Really makes no sense.

Small hands is an advantage on hubs in my opinion.

Small hands is an advantage on hubs in my opinion.

I can attest to that Jedd. One of my better events.

We have had this discussion many times. Most grip events are strongly correlated to overal size. Did you miss Mighty Mitts? The only 'small' guy doing well (but not in the top three) is Andrew. Compared to someone like me however, he is a giant. Smaller hands is a poor exuse for not being strong. Let me spell it out slowly; Mighty Mitts is dominated by g-i-a-n-t-s.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Adam Glass would have done very well and really wow'd the crowd.