proper stance for wrist roller

Guest badkarma67

Guest badkarma67

o.k...like i said i`m new at this...my roller is all together..now..do i hold my arms straight out when doing it or do i let them rest on my stomach??do i sit or do i stand??...is it personal preference??

sorry i`m so ignorant on this stuff but i`m enjoying every second of learning.

I find that the best position is behind my back - or right below my butt to be more precise. Behind the body in any case.

Badkarma,

Personally, when I started training with the wrist roller, I held my arms directly in front of me. In my opinion, doing the rolling this way will fry your grip the soonest. However, the problem in doing the rolling this way is that when you get to anything above 5-8 kg, you'll shoulders are bound to get tired a lot sooner than your grip.

This is why I currently do my wrist rolling on an elevated surface ( a bench or a chair for me) as suggested to me by Dr. Tom. Doing the rolling this way isn't as tiring as doing it the arms in front way, but it'll definately do a lot of good for you.

Of course you can try all kinds of different ways, like doing it behind your back as suggested by Solan, or you can try doing it sitting. Though you need one heck of a tall chair to do it sitting :)

Good luck in your training

Guest climber

badkarma67

What I did was put the pin in my power rack through my wrist roller.  (It's made of 2" OD pipe).  That pretty much takes the shoulders out of the movement.  It feels to me like the behind the back version hits my forearms in a different way than the standard version so I do both ways but in different workouts.  My first wrist roller was smaller diameter (1") and it worked my forearms in a different way than my 2" roller does.  The 2" one really works my extensors hard compared the a smaller bar.  The small bar worked mostly "the belly" of the muscle closer to the elbow while the fat bar works me more completely from elbow to wrist.  Good Luck - Climber

Guest John Blaze

What's the competition stance for the wrist roller?  If there has never been a competition like this what should the rules be for the contest at my gym. Do the arms have to be held up at shoulder stance?  Or as long as the weight does not touch the ground is it ok?

Guest Kit Old Dude Sonesen

What "climber" said.

Use the saber pin on the power rack to support the roller.  Crank like mad.

OD

Guest Harlan Jacobs

My roller is also braced on each end. Mine is made of PVC pipe and the O.D. is 2 3/8 . It is supported at 58" high. Does anyone have a thought about the direction that you roll ? Also, do you feel low reps are beter than high reps ? I am doing 100 lbs ,but can only do three reps. Would I be beter off droping weight and doing more ?

Guest climber

Harlan Jacobs

I just made myself a 2 3/8" roller tonight.  Haven't even tried it yet.  In my experience, I usually use heavy finger curls and regular wrist curls for strength and the roller more for heavy endurance work and to work the entensor side of my arm.  I don't like reverse wrist curls as well as the roller for this.  I think what I like the roller best for though is "active rest".  It seems to move more blood through my arms (or at least into them) than any other movement so I use it a lot on rest days with real light weights just to kind of flush the muscles.  I think it helps recovery a little.  I think the finger curls are maybe the best strength movement I know of with heavy weights.   Use a small diameter bar for these - fat bars don't work.  Climber

Guest climber

Harlan - 100# for 3 - way to go.

I just made myself a 2 3/8" roller tonight.  Haven't even tried it yet.  In my experience, I usually use heavy finger curls and regular wrist curls for strength and the roller more for heavy endurance work and to work the entensor side of my arm.  I don't like reverse wrist curls as well as the roller for this.  I think what I like the roller best for though is "active rest".  It seems to move more blood through my arms (or at least into them) than any other movement so I use it a lot on rest days with real light weights just to kind of flush the muscles.  I think it helps recovery a little.  I think the finger curls are maybe the best strength movement I know of with heavy weights.   Use a small diameter bar for these - fat bars don't work.  Climber