Wrist Curl Question

txartist

On another site I saw some arm wrestlers doing seated wrist curls with the elbow really pushed over to the center of thier body. Is this for armwrestling or is it a better way to do them and secondly what is the difference in this way as opposed to just putting the forearm over the thigh? In advance thank you for any anwers

On another site I saw some arm wrestlers doing seated wrist curls with the elbow really pushed over to the center of thier body. Is this for armwrestling or is it a better way to do them and secondly what is the difference in this way as opposed to just putting the forearm over the thigh? In advance thank you for any anwers

What do you want? Yes it is an arm wrestling specific way to do them over the center, it allows using heavier weight when forearm is less supinated and the position better resembles successful arm wrestling situation. Less successful situation would be for example defensive hook when rotator is "lost" palm facing up. But with heavy weight NEVER lower the wrist below parallel (straight wrist) or you will risk yourself for an injury if you lose control of the weight.

When it comes to pure strength, power and size just look at arm wrestlers forearms and you know they are doing something right (of course arm wrestling helps to since it is a power sport and involves other muscles of the forearm like supinating and rotating muscles).

But...doing only half curls may result an imbalance in wrist and forearm development which can lead to problems with mobility, tendons, nerves etc. in wrist and elbow area. So in my opinion it is beneficial to do full wrist curls also with lighter weight and with more repetitions. If for nothing else then for rehabilitation and for balance.

In short: Do heavy half wrist curls with the elbow in the center and tilted upper body and light full curls wherever.

What do you want? Yes it is an arm wrestling specific way to do them over the center, it allows using heavier weight when forearm is less supinated and the position better resembles successful arm wrestling situation. Less successful situation would be for example defensive hook when rotator is "lost" palm facing up. But with heavy weight NEVER lower the wrist below parallel (straight wrist) or you will risk yourself for an injury if you lose control of the weight.

When it comes to pure strength, power and size just look at arm wrestlers forearms and you know they are doing something right (of course arm wrestling helps to since it is a power sport and involves other muscles of the forearm like supinating and rotating muscles).

But...doing only half curls may result an imbalance in wrist and forearm development which can lead to problems with mobility, tendons, nerves etc. in wrist and elbow area. So in my opinion it is beneficial to do full wrist curls also with lighter weight and with more repetitions. If for nothing else then for rehabilitation and for balance.

In short: Do heavy half wrist curls with the elbow in the center and tilted upper body and light full curls wherever.

Thank you for such a clear and detailed answer,Im not a armwrestler myself but enjoy doing some of the exercises for it..again thanks