Matt Hunt, Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Matt Hunt

As having closed the Mash Monster Elite Gripper (Level 1) with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

The certification is granted by the GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest. The Mash Monster Gripper was one of a limited number supplied by, rated and qualified by, and controlled by the Board. This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for historical posterity.

gallery_9552_1257_653.png

Matt mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Name: Matt Hunt

Height: 6ft

Weight: 200lbs

Date of Feat: April 20, 2011

VIDEO:

How Long Grip Training: I have been training grip the "right" way for about 5 months (was pointed to the GripBoard) now but have trained with grippers on and off with no idea what I was doing since 2006.

Current Grip Training Program: I use my own custom program as of right now; I usually train with grippers 1-3 times a week depending on my schedule and recovery.

Other Training Info: I think this comes down to satisfaction. I have squatted a lot of weight, deadlifted a lot of weight, flipped 1100lb tires for sets, and loaded huge atlas stones but I have never felt as satisfied as I did when closing grippers. Closing the Captains of Crush #3 has to be one of my biggest accomplishments and I must say it was the most satisfying! So if you like grippers and are lacking the positive push in the right direction, implement a top notch workout set up and smash a hard PR gripper… it will make you feel like you are on top of the world!

Acknowledgements: I would like to thank everyone from the board who has given me advice or helped me with questions that I could not find the answers too. Even though this person has been out of my life for years, I would just like to thank my strongman buddy Warren for introducing me to grippers and increasing my fascination with the best past time ever… SMASHING GRIPPERS!

gallery_9552_1257_1760.jpg

Matt Hunt, the 70th Man in the World to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

(age, when started lifting, why you started, what you do now as far as lifts)

I started lifting when I was about 14 or so with a weight set my brother had left behind. I was instantly

hooked! From there I just kept progressing to new and exciting training aspects: bodybuilding, strongman,

powerlifting… after some injuries I was forced to adapt and find something I could do that wouldn’t affect

my back.

As far as lifts are concerned now, I like to hit full body, “functional” movements like sand bag cleans,

kettle bell swings, bodyweight rows, etc.

How did you get into grip training?

I was introduced to grip through a friend of mine who was an amateur strongman competitor.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this

gripper?

REST!!! If you have a nagging issue, take time off and rehab… no need to make the problem worse. Injury

will keep you from accomplishing your goals.

What does your current grip routine look like?

Currently I train grip 2 times a week with one workout focused on negatives and static holds. I usually hit

recovery/ rehab work on my days off with the powerball, extensor bands, and the IM Egg.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

Before I just followed what was suggested by Iron Mind which definitely helped me progress but to get to

the bigger grippers, adjustment was needed. I now follow a set up that was created by Terrygrip, a member

of the board. Without his set up and suggestions I would not be where I am today.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees even with the

common goal of ultimate grip strength. Have you experimented with workout frequency and its effect on

your training?

I actually have tried increasing the amount of overall volume but I see the best results with rest so one to

three days max or I start to have problems hitting my regular workouts.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

My favorite grip exercises are crushing grippers (obviously!), Powerball runs with my signature series, rice

digs for the extensors, and any sort of pinching because that is my weakest area.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

I think the best routine to start out with for a beginner is to work on hand health and correcting imbalances

between the flexors and extensors of the forearm. The best way to go about doing that IMO is to use

dexterity balls for 3-5 minutes on each hand in each direction (clockwise and counter-clockwise), 10-15

reps for 2-3 sets on an IM egg or similar product like the Iron Gloves line sold by Wade Gillingham at

www.grippersuperstore.com, and rubber bands used for high rep extensor work, 50 reps for around 3-5

sets. I would say to complete this set up 2 or three times through, 2-4 times a week.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

The people I admire most in gripdom are Chris Ryder for his incredible bending feats, Paul Knight for his

amazing gripper closing strength, and Juha Harju for his intensity and well-rounded approach to all things

grip.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

If I were to start over I would’ve looked into the details better back when I bought my first one (2006). I

didn’t know how to set a gripper until recently and if I knew how back when, I would be way past where I

am now!

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

The most difficult grip exercise has to be either lifting the blob or lifting the inch dumbbell… to me these

feats seem impossible.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

DO axle- 330lbs for a few reps

Pinch lift 2-35s

Hub lift a 45

CoC #3 close

Beef Builder Grand Master 5/8” handles close

Beef Builder Elite close

Atom Gripz Quad band close

TNS an RB260N

CoC #3 left handed close

One arm snatch with an axle- 125lbs

5-10’s pinch (standard plates)

Bending-

HRS 6&1/2 inch 5/16”

6&1/4” square stock

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head…

More to come!!!

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

I would say the biggest mistake when a person takes up grip training is training way too much. We use our

hands in all gym movements so we must let the hands recover or injury is going to happen.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

1. Paul Knight’s MM7 close as well as his Gold nail bend

2. John Brookfield’s card tearing extravaganza on national television

3. Rich Williams world record 500+ lb axle deadlift

4. Mark Felix Rolling Thunder world record of over 300lbs

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

1. Stay committed… quitting will not get you to your goals!

2. Remember to rest or De-load!

3. If what you are doing isn’t working it is time to switch things up!

4. Have fun with grip training! :)

Congrats Matt!

Congratulations on a job well done! Paul Knight better watch out hahaha!

Damn fast progressing man!

Congratulations, Matt. Great job! :rock

MM2 doesn't stand a chance

Agreed. The way you smoked the MM1, the next level should be in the bag.

Congrats, and nice write up to.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats my friend now onto the MM2 I am sure we will see that accomplishment in the not to distant future.